The Education Forum

Execution of Stan "Tookie" Williams.

Adam Wilkinson

Mike:

Thanks.

I have seen errors in the legal system, including a friend who I am quite certain was wrongfully convicted of a matter for which he spent one year in jail. Granted, my experience is "anecdotal" but it has convinced me that there are errors in capital cases as well. If the error rate was 1 in 10,000 innocent people executed, I might have a different opinion but I fear the error rate may be much higher. The number of people proven innocent by DNA testing would seem to so indicate.

Deterrent effect? Well, the person executed will certainly never be a recidivist, or kill a prison guard, or another prisoner. So certainly there is this deterrent effect, at least.

Nevertheless, I am convinced that regardless how painless the mechanism of execution may be, the possibility of executing innocent persons requires the end of capital punishment in most cases.

Mike:

Thanks.

I have seen errors in the legal system, including a friend who I am quite certain was wrongfully convicted of a matter for which he spent one year in jail. Granted, my experience is "anecdotal" but it has convinced me that there are errors in capital cases as well. If the error rate was 1 in 10,000 innocent people executed, I might have a different opinion but I fear the error rate may be much higher. The number of people proven innocent by DNA testing would seem to so indicate.

Deterrent effect? Well, the person executed will certainly never be a recidivist, or kill a prison guard, or another prisoner. So certainly there is this deterrent effect, at least.

Nevertheless, I am convinced that regardless how painless the mechanism of execution may be, the possibility of executing innocent persons requires the end of capital punishment in most cases.

I agree, if there is even the smallest chance of an innocent person being executed then capital punishment should be ended. Unfortunately it is not just a small chance, many people are found to be innocent after they are executed.

However, what about these innocent people being given life sentences? I think a life sentence could be as bad, if not worse than the death penalty.

Edited by Adam Wilkinson