The Education Forum

Life in Hitler's Germany

Now that is one sexy looking webpage - I really like the boxes, how did you do that? - are the pictures a bit small? would it be possible to enlarge them when you rollover?

As for the activity, I think that my boys might need a bit more scaffolding for the activity - I know you have given questions in each box (which is more effective than hovering over the information - all my boys do is cut and paste or keep the mouse over the top and copy!), but maybe there needs to be another page that can be linked to that has a bit more written info on each section. Excellent work sir.

Now that is one sexy looking webpage - I really like the boxes, how did you do that? - are the pictures a bit small? would it be possible to enlarge them when you rollover?

As for the activity, I think that my boys might need a bit more scaffolding for the activity - I know you have given questions in each box (which is more effective than hovering over the information - all my boys do is cut and paste or keep the mouse over the top and copy!), but maybe there needs to be another page that can be linked to that has a bit more written info on each section. Excellent work sir.

Thanks

I am going to work out a lesson plan eventually which will give more structure - I usually do these after I have taught the lesson however :lol:

I agree I could link to bigger versions of pictures but for now I am happy that I can annotate them clearly and make links using the whiteboard (essentially I am going to scribble all over them like some mad professor!).

I envisage drawing out a fair amount of information from the students and heaven forbid doing a bit of teacher talk as we look at the pics as a class. Then the plan is to get them to research the link to historylearningsite before they tackle the diagram. It's only an introductory overview - each area of life in Nazi Germany will be covered in much more detail later.

Nothing clever about the construction of the page (though I do like the look). All the features come bundled in the web editor I use.

In the light of Dan's comments I have now added a plenary activity to the lesson which should mean they leave the lesson with some notes for later revision.

I tried it out yesterday and was pleased with how much we were able to learn from just encouraging the students to ask questions about the posters and photographs - also work well on whiteboard

http://www.educationforum.co.uk/life.htm

http://www.educationforum.co.uk/nazi_2/index.htm

Nice plenary Andy, but you could also tighten up your further reading by maybe selecting some of the links rather than having the whole list from historylearningsite, I think my boys would be running scared from that. Are most of your lessons in an ICT room? you seem to teach so much ICT led lessons. Great stuff.

Nice plenary Andy, but you could also tighten up your further reading by maybe selecting some of the links rather than having the whole list from historylearningsite, I think my boys would be running scared from that. Are most of your lessons in an ICT room? you seem to teach so much ICT led lessons. Great stuff.

I can teach all my Year 10 and 11 classes in an ICT room if I so wish - I tend to mix it up a bit though - probably 65-35 split in favour of ICT.

All my A level teaching takes place in Internet ready ICT suites

I can teach all my Year 10 and 11 classes in an ICT room if I so wish - I tend to mix it up a bit though - probably 65-35 split in favour of ICT.

All my A level teaching takes place in Internet ready ICT suites

Only very jealous at this point...

For my A level stuff, it's an ICT lesson if I bring the laptop!

Wonderful work Andy!

I am just about to begin lessons on World War II and look forward to trying your lessons out. I do have two questions though. First, on the plenary, is there a way for them to print it out in order to either turn it in or keep it? Secondly, what program (s) did you use to create the plenary? My school uses moodle and I have yet to be able to create something like this. The same goes for the interactive diagram. I love both exercises and commend you for your work. I would also like to applaud your commitment to sharing your work. For the most part I have found teachers willing to share, but upon occasion some refuse to share "their" work. Thanks for helping better the education of students around the world.

Wonderful work Andy!

I am just about to begin lessons on World War II and look forward to trying your lessons out. I do have two questions though. First, on the plenary, is there a way for them to print it out in order to either turn it in or keep it? Secondly, what program (s) did you use to create the plenary? My school uses moodle and I have yet to be able to create something like this. The same goes for the interactive diagram. I love both exercises and commend you for your work. I would also like to applaud your commitment to sharing your work. For the most part I have found teachers willing to share, but upon occasion some refuse to share "their" work. Thanks for helping better the education of students around the world.

Thanks very much for your kind words.

The programs used to create the interactive parts of the lesson are Hot Potatoes (which is shareware but free to register), and contentgenerator ( which costs a few pounds to subscribe to). The urls for these applications are at the end of this message. Both enable you to create similar exercises (and a range of other ones too) after just a little bit of practice. You could then upload the files to your moodle platform and link them together.

I must say I much prefer however to put my own stuff online for all to see and use rather than hide in behind a password protected VLE.

Regarding the plenary in the quoted exercise I tend just to get the students to copy and paste the finished exercise into Word before printing and/or saving.

http://hotpot.uvic.ca/

http://contentgenerator.net/

• 3 weeks later...

Great work Andy. It seems to me a good use of the Forum where history teachers can feed back information on ways that they could be used in the classroom. Especially when this comes from teachers from different countries. One possibility is to produce materials with a history teacher from another country. For example, linking up with a history teacher from Germany to write about Nazi Germany, a teacher from the United States on the American Revolution, a teacher from Africa to study slavery, etc.

Thanks to both of you for your kind words.

I would very much welcome the opportunity to work collaboratively with a teacher from another country in the way John describes. I would also be willing to host the finished resources on my site.

In the meantime I have been working on some lesson ideas on antisemitism

http://www.educationforum.co.uk/antisemite.htm

(The rather excellent detailed presentation on this page is not mine - I have no idea where it originally came from - if anyone knows please let me know and I'll credit the author)

• 3 weeks later...