The Education Forum

Digital School

Guest Andrew Moore

Guest Andrew Moore

Ever since I learned about the work of the Netherlands Digischool and the Fontys Professional University, I have thought that Britain (and every country) needs national or regional digital schools, and a digital school of teacher education.

I think, too, that the best hope for such an initiative might be for the top-down national planning system to meet halfway the kind of grassroots community building that the real practitioners do (as here).

Thanks to some very thrifty use of DfES funding, the East Riding will launch its local/regional Digital School in September. This week, you will see in the educational press advertisements for teacher posts. These will be based locally (in due course we will have teachers employed in other regions or countries), but the teachers will use Internet technologies to give remote and blended support to distributed groups of learners.

I can't say more till the advertisements appear - but have a look in the TES, if you might want to come and work here. The jobs should also be advertised online on the East Riding Web site at www.eastriding.gov.uk. Initially they are for teachers of literacy, numeracy, science and support for gifted and talented.

Edited by andrewmoore1955