The Education Forum

Shooter, Radioman, Spotter

As always, I would like to humbly request any additional information that anyone may care to provide – publicly here, or privately. You can always email me directly at lforman23@comcast.net - all emails will be held confidential, and the use of any information at the discretion and anonymity of the provider, if required. In particular, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to study any photos or films that have never been publicly released.

Summary

The concept here is that for the ground operation in Dealey Plaza, a variety of different teams were contracted for different locations, but with some consistent methods among them, which may aid in locating them.

I remember having a conversation about my first visit to Dealey Plaza with Jim Marrs – he remarked, ‘What did you think? Small.” Yes. That was my impression when comparing the Plaza with the version I had created in the mind’s eye using photos and films – much smaller than I had imagined. In my effort to convey the size to some folks who have not been there, I compared it to standing in a dollhouse. It was actually something to marvel about if you wanted to consider possible locations for shooters, given the limitations in scale of the plaza. One of my preoccupations with the assassination has of been considering the location of the shooting teams – as opposed to the office buildings [TSBD, DalTex, County Records, etc.] - at ground level.

It’s not my intention to attempt to put the shots into chronological order, or dwell too long on trajectories. Similarly, although it’s my distinct impression that there were many roles being played by operatives on assignment in Dealey Plaza, the focus will be on 3 roles –specifically the shooter, spotter / recorder and breakdown man / radio coordinator. Just a bit on each:

The Shooter

From Rolland ‘Bud’ Culligan’s account in the piece done by Craig Humes, I realized how significant the shooter was in any such assignment. Protection of the shooter by the team was paramount – the prime function of it’s members. The shooter, as per what I gathered from Culligan, was the one who said how it would go down, from where and who selected the team members. Normally the shooter would have also selected the weapon, ammunition and technique as well. In the case of the action in Dealey Plaza, I once had a source relate some interesting information – which I was unable to determine as credible – that in the case of Kennedy, it was an unknown variable as to whether or not the bubbletop would be used. Therefore, special rounds were deployed in the event it was necessary to first penetrate the bubbletop. Sounds logical, and is also bolstered in part by the medical evidence, Vince Drain’s comment about the bit of skull recovered with hair attached, the newspaper article with a citation by Dr. James Beyer, the TMWKK interview with Michel Nicoli, etc. etc. The Hague Convention banned the use of such ammo in 1899.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_point_bullet

The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibits the use in warfare of bullets which easily expand or flatten in the body. This is often incorrectly believed to be prohibited in the Geneva Conventions, but it significantly predates those conventions, and is in fact a continuance of The Declaration of St Petersburg in 1868, which banned exploding projectiles of less than 400 grams, and weapons designed to aggravate injured soldiers or make their death inevitable.

One aside here – it appears that the round which was fired into Kennedy’s back was underpowered, and not an exploding type round. The round which struck Connally in the chest, or back, has been said to have been a ‘tumbling’ round, due to the size of the ragged ‘entry’ and ‘exit’ wounds – can’t help but wonder about that round.

However since the throat wound seems to imply a smaller caliber round – worth noting -– since I had some thoughts about this that I will elaborate on later. If Kennedy received the throat wound while the Lincoln was higher up on Elm, it seems logical that the operatives using the dumdums / frangible rounds / sabots / exploding bullets, were further down the line, and that this measure was an escalated use of force to ensure that the operation was successful.

No intention of addressing possible failsafe measures, but that might rear it’s ugly head someplace.

Another point worth covering here is my belief in the combined use of weapons with and without sonic suppressors. For the decoy weapon in the TSBD, for example, no suppressor deployed. This is largely what contributed, IMO, to a great deal of the confusion by witnesses, the mystery of how many shots were fired in total, and from where. It also aided the cover-up; repeatedly asking how many shots were heard by the witnesses interviewed.

The Radioman

Given some of the photographic analyses done by many others before me, some of the accounts I have read about the operation, information provided, the logistics of the actual event, etc., it appears clear that radios were used for coordination and timing of shots [probably in tandem with hand signals]. So perhaps the breakdown man would double on communication as well as removal of the shooter’s weapon? Seems logical. The radios that may have been deployed would be Motorola slimlines – low frequency channels. There is an interesting advertisement for similar radios in Klein’s sporting goods magazine, and Robert Morrow provides details of having supplied David Ferrie with 4 such radios, only required for a total transmission time of 5 minutes.

“One day later I received a second phone call. It was [Eladio] del Valle calling from, I assumed, Miami. He asked me to supply him with four transceivers which were not detectable by any communications equipment then available on the market. Although his request seemed impossible, I told him that I had an idea which might fulfill his requirement. I could provide him with sub-miniaturized units whose operation would be confined to a range of fifty or one hundred kilohertz. To operate any sizable distance, the units would require an antenna at least several feet in length. A wire taped to the user's leg would easily suffice for this purpose. The set-up would not be pretty, but I could assure him that no one would be monitoring these low frequencies.

Del Valle then requested that I deliver the transceivers and the rifles to David Ferrie. I was surprised by Ferrie's involvement in the transaction. Barnes, in our previous conversation, had neither informed me that the rifles were being made for Clay Shaw in New Orleans nor that David Ferrie would be the person responsible for picking them up once I had completed the required alterations. Del Valle explained to me that the rifles and communications equipment were for his Free Cuba Committee, and that Clay and Ferrie were assisting him in the operation. I assured him that the equipment would be ready on time as I would immediately order the Motorola-made special transceiver units. Motorola was manufacturing the units for railroad communications equipment; they were relatively easy to secure.

The radio transceivers for del Valle were more difficult to create than I had originally thought they'd be. An unusual amount of power was required for them to transmit over any significant distance. To solve this dilemma, I included an extra pack of four "D" type battery cells to be used for transmitting purposes only. The pack was plugged into the transceiver unit and could easily be carried in the user's pocket. Ironically, I later learned from del Valle that the transmission time was to be limited to five minutes, which meant my additional adjustments had been unnecessary.”

Loy Factor, as per ‘The Men on the Sixth Floor,’ had a woman known to him as ‘Ruth Ann’ as the radio coordinator for the part of the operation on the 6th Floor of the TSBD.

There is also the account of Lee Bowers, who claimed to have seen a man cruising the yard behind the picket fence, holding what appeared to be a radio. This one again, may be worth noting for later on.

I don’t like to mention Jim Hicks as a radio controller, because I have never seen anything that substantiated this claim – wherever it was that Sprague or Prouty may have gotten that information from continues to elude me. It certainly does not appear in Hick’s New Orleans Parrish testimony. The idea of the Adolphus Hotel being the communications hub is intriguing, especially considering it’s proximity to Ruby’s Carousel club.

Although I am sure I could go on and on here, I want to try stay on subject…

The Spotter

So over time, working to try to figure out the locations of the shooters at ground level, I was struck by several strong possibilities, and continued trying to find out as much as possible to support [or deny] each one. Interestingly enough, when plotted, the locations that appeared to have the most validity for possible shooter locations, in my opinion, are fairly evenly spaced along Elm. I found this curious. Another detail, which I believe is the case, relates to the role of the spotter, or recorder. I cannot figure out whether the role of one individual in each shooting team was to record the result of the shots, or if this individual was actually providing a service to the shooter, in terms of ‘spotting.’

http://www.af.mil/news/airman/1101/sniper.html

The sniper’s spotter makes the calls for the range and wind, and, when he feels comfortable enough, the shooter slides his finger onto the trigger of the weapon. He leans into his scope to ensure the crosshairs are directly over the area where expensive avionics equipment rests. Satisfied, he exhales a deep breath and squeezes the trigger.

A team effort

Students are also tested in target detection — just what are they seeing in their scope, and should they shoot it? This is a craft for the spotter, usually the most experienced member of the countersniper team, who watches the shots go down range and offers adjustments to the shooter.

As Chief Master Sgt. Mark Hughes, countersniper school instructor, notes, nothing is done unless the spotter says so.

“It’s the spotter’s job to make sure the shooter is set up,” said Hughes, a former Marine and a 16-year Air Force veteran. “You want to make sure when you spin the dials and get set up, you don’t lose something.”

When shooting, a student sets up, usually laying his battle dress uniform blouse in the dirt, with his rucksack in front of him. Tomlinson uses Air Force-issue black socks filled with popcorn seed, or whatever he can find, to position the weapon.

One sock sits beneath the stock of the weapon. The other sits underneath the M-24 barrel atop the shooter’s ruck. With the right hand, he squeezes the stock sock, raising and lowering the weapon. His cheek, pressed firmly against the butt of the gun, moves it left and right until the crosshairs come center.

The spotter calls the range and the “windage,” or how much wind is blowing and which way. Once dialed in, the shooter says he’s ready, and the spotter leans in to monitor the shot.

“Send it,” the spotter says.

In terms of the locations of the shooters and their teams, it’s still territory rife with unknowns. I will simply start with the areas that appear to me to be the most logical and likely, based primary upon witness accounts, coupled with photographic study – plus anything else I can drag in to support the possibility on the location.

For the DalTex broom closet on the 2nd floor, possibly owned at that time by Jennifer Juniors Inc. of Dallas, Gerry Hemming has stated that the spotter was Cuban exile and BOP veteran Nestor Izquierdo Diaz. I mention it only for a want of establishing like modus operandi. Would Nestor have doubled as radioman and spotter? It is interesting to note that the use of a black man as spotter in the DalTex was included in Stone’s film JFK.

One significant point on the spotter that I believe must be made concerning using photographic images to locate the Spotter: in attempting to determine shooter locations, it’s possible than an error can be made in viewing enlarged and enhanced photo and film frames with respect to identifying a possible spotter. If we can credit Steve Osborne and his having come forward to testify before the ARRB, then there were several locations throughout the Plaza used as part of a separate operation, engaged only in recording the assassination. So we can find individuals with what appear to be cameras in some areas, which may not be related to the shooting teams. That is my opinion, and based upon some of the time I have devoted to viewing the photos and films, it makes a great deal of logical sense.

An excerpt from the ARRB testimony of Steve Osborne

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/arrb/index71.htm]

The gentleman I spoke with proceeded to tell me he was in the Army Station in Fort Hood, in Clean, Texas. On the day of the assassination his group, a communications group, was assigned the task of observing and videotaping the presidential motorcade as it moved through the Plaza. This unit had no similar assignment in any other Texas city during the President's visit, and they were only to tape that portion of the motorcade as it proceeded through Dealey Plaza.

Now if this event actually occurred, if it actually happened, it makes their activity highly suspicious and adds new questions to the assassination, particularly with reference to the possible foreknowledge of the assassination of intelligence personnel.

In my conversations with this gentleman, I asked questions of a technical nature trying to discovery how their assignment was accomplished. After discovering that the camera signals were transported by wireless means back to the control studio, which was actually a semi-tractor-trailer, I found myself doubting that this type of equipment was available in 1963.

I knew that ham radio operators have been sending television signals easily for a number of years, and I had also participated in that hobby. I also knew that videotaping was still in its infant years in 1963. I started to research available equipment to see if this story had any possibility of being true.

I have another handout that I would like to give you. Now that we know that equipment existed in 1963, and I can tell you a little bit about the equipment, if you would like, in the question and answer, I can relate his entire story, the following information was obtained over approximately three separate conversations with this individual. I had extracted a verbal consent to get his story on videotape, like any good researcher would, but when the time came for doing so, his attitude on the matter had completely reversed and I am only left today with the recollection, you know, the notes that I had taken from the conversation and the subsequent information by my independent investigation.

This military communications group had several cameras stationed around the Plaza. The signals from the cameras were sent back to a semi-tractor-trailer acting as a mobile studio parked a short distance from the Plaza.

Editorial remark – this would work well for the “Clean” Van parked at the corner of Elm and Houston as the receiving point for these signals.

Each camera had a preview monitor and videotape machine associated with it inside the trailer recording the view of each camera. There was no sound recorded in this assignment.

Each videotape position had a single person responsible for its proper operation. Each position these men occupied was shielded from the others so that they could only see the preview for their individual camera. Each man saw the assassination occur from a different perspective of their monitors.

About 15 minutes after the assassination, a group of men appeared who identified themselves as FBI agents. These agents seized all the equipment used to videotape the motorcade. Each man was put on a bus which had been summoned to the scene and they were all driven back to their base. Upon their arrival, they were simply told to forget it.

Editorial remark – what else did James Altgens photograph that afternoon? A total of 73 photos taken by Altgens, where are they, and what were the subjects of these photos?

Part of the reason why I believe Osborne’s source is worth noting are the number of lenses that can be found in and about the Plaza – and the caution which one must use to ensure that what is being viewed is not simply part of this recording team, as opposed to the reflection of light on a scope used by a Spotter - I’ll try to raise these as we go here.

The first graphic is an edited rendition of Don Roberdeau’s plat. Don once consented to allow folks to have the ability to make use of this excellent tool, so many thanks to Don here – hope he doesn’t mind what I’ve done with it. If so I will remove it.

As per the key, I tried to cover a few points that are possible ‘camera’ operatives, vs shooting teams. The area past the Grassy Knoll Shooter [GKS] remains an unknown for me. I wouldn’t want to say with any certainty that it did not have a shooter present – but it’s a lot less certain for me personally – and there isn’t much to go on for this area. I assume it may have been reserved for a possible failsafe team – but that is sheer speculation.

Possible Location Number One: The North Peristyle on the south side of Elm.

Not much to go by on this one.

From the perspective of someone seeking cover – this location would be visible only from the north side of Elm. It would have been captured by Zapruder’s film. It did not offer much by way of a physical barrier or escape path – that I am aware of anyway. It would offer a fantastic vantage point, and I have taken several photos from this position.

There is the Texas Monthly interview of Rosemary Willis where she claims a shot came from over her right shoulder.

Rosemary: As they made the turn from Houston to Elm Street, they'd

just gone a few feet when the first shot rang out, and upon hearing

the sound, my normal body reaction was to look up and follow the

sound that I heard, it was so abrupt. I didn't know what it was, but

I was looking for what I heard. And the pigeons immediately ascended

off that roof of the school book depository building and that's what

caught my eye. My eyes were searching for what I heard and I see the

pigeons, you know, they're scared to death, and take off in abrupt

flight. Next thing I know, right after that, there's another shot.

And after that, there's another shot and another shot. We disagree,

between me and her (nodding towards her mom and sister). My ears

heard four shots. If you ask me how many I think there were, I

really think that there were six, but I heard four and I'll tell you

why: the first one, you know I'm right across from Zapruder. I'm

wherever the limousine is. It's almost like I could...I'm right

there. Anyway, the first shot rang out. It was to the front of me,

and to the right of me, up high [TSBD decoy shot?]. The second shot that I heard came

across from my right shoulder [North Peristyle area?]. By that time, the limousine had

already moved further down. And that shot came across my shoulder.

And the next one, right after that, still came from the right but

not from as far back, it was up some [DalTex miss to windshield?]. Still behind me, but not as

far back as the other one. And the next one that came was from the

grassy knoll and I saw the smoke coming through the trees, into the

air [GKS].... Fragments of his head ascended into the air, and from my

vision, focal point, the smoke and the fragments, you know,

everything met. I mean, there's no question in my mind what I saw or

what I heard.

Additionally, there is what appears to be a man crouched in this area in the film taken by Elsie Dorman from the 4th floor window of the TSBD. Elsie was not called to testify before the Warren Commission, and I have never seen any kind of report concerning her view of the events.

Along with this limited bit of supporting material, there is the Zapruder film. That is what first drew my attention to the area. See attached. I was never able to do a great job of determining just how many folks are located here – at a minimum and for the sake of this post, I would say 3 – with the same routine – Shooter, Breakdown man / Radioman and Spotter / Recorder.

Worth noting is the movement in the area seen in a stabilized gif.

Making an assumption that these guys are not associated with the recording team – but there is no way of knowing at the present. I am unclear as to whether or not the recording operation would have been acting individually, or in groups. Perhaps it is a mix. I used to theorize that whatever happened here in this location may have been what prompted Life magazine to accidentally destroy frames 208 – 211 of the Zapruder film.

To be continued…

The 2nd position is also a bit weak, but the 3rd gets interesting. :angry:

post-675-1147818703_thumb.jpg

post-675-1147818875_thumb.jpg

post-675-1147819150_thumb.jpg

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great stuff, Lee.

I'm assuming Osborne has not gone on to name his informant in the intervening 12 years since his testimony, but his comment about "intelligence techniques" which are not known to the general public is significant, IMO. If there was a communications group (unknowingly)videotaping the assassination, there must be a chance that the tape(s) will show up one day. Sorting out shooters/spotters/bystanders/light reflections etc, from the available film and photographic record is barely possible. There's more I think.

FWIW, I speculate the triangulation was from the Daltex building, the peristyle bordering Elm and the stockade fence behing the knoll, with the shot from the 6th floor of the TSBD as a diversion or signal.

I hope you get some followup from your post.

Great stuff, Lee.

I'm assuming Osborne has not gone on to name his informant in the intervening 12 years since his testimony, but his comment about "intelligence techniques" which are not known to the general public is significant, IMO. If there was a communications group (unknowingly)videotaping the assassination, there must be a chance that the tape(s) will show up one day. Sorting out shooters/spotters/bystanders/light reflections etc, from the available film and photographic record is barely possible. There's more I think.

FWIW, I speculate the triangulation was from the Daltex building, the peristyle bordering Elm and the stockade fence behing the knoll, with the shot from the 6th floor of the TSBD as a diversion or signal.

Good Stuff, Lee.

I tend to theorize a true triangulation.

A team in the Dal-Tex, a team at the knoll's fence and a team on the south Pergola.

The recording and lenses are seen on the fire escape of the Dal Tex and in the TSBD.

Other observers were at the corner of Elm and Main and on the Triple Overpass.

This is very interesting to me. Thanks for your time and effort on this theory.

One thing in the film and photos (where you put your boxes for us to follow along) that stands out to me. It appears in the video that just to the right of the image of the shooter (definitely movement there), there is also movement, which appears to be directly in sync with the movement of the limo.

At least that is what I see.

One item I might remind you...the references to "Clean, Texas" and the "clean truck" might be more correctly referred to as KILLEEN, Tx and KILLEEN truck, in reference to the Army intelligence unit located at Fort Hood there.

Great stuff, Lee.

Thanks Mark - I looked around on the internet to find Osborne to ask him about his contact - no luck getting any info on him unfortunately [if anyone knows where to find him feel free to let me know!]. Agreed on the difficulty on sorting out the individuals - however, I guess one reason for this post is the recognition that a recording operation was taking place simultaneously, and in my own thinking, I believe I may have at least sorted out a few of them.

Take a look as I walk along here. It's my intention to attempt to target and segment as best as possible - with the %^&(! record available.

- lee

post-675-1147874216_thumb.gif

Good Stuff, Lee.

I tend to theorize a true triangulation.

A team in the Dal-Tex, a team at the knoll's fence and a team on the south Pergola.

The recording and lenses are seen on the fire escape of the Dal Tex and in the TSBD.

Other observers were at the corner of Elm and Main and on the Triple Overpass.

Hello Shanet!

The underpass should not be ignored - however I wasn't planning to cover it in great detail. Here's a nice view of it - worth noting the area in green which is devoid of data in the version of the photo published. I believe that this is spot corresponds with the area of the grate on the other side of the fence. Hargis said there were folks there trying to take pictures - which is interesting. The plainclothes guy up there is curious. I can't find the reference, but I remember reading that Sprague sat waiting to review the Beck film, and the FBI was unable to find it in their files for him to watch. Can't recall at the moment where I read that - but of course, the account of a Mrs. Beck of Lincoln park filimg the assassination from the top of the underpass with a 16mm camera has never been confirmed - to the best of my knowledge.

A few more interesting observations on the top of the underpass aside from the radio transmission made by Curry of course - Weitzman speaking with someone - maybe one of the railroad workers? - who, as I translate it, was probably located at the top of the underpass and witnessed someone tossing something in the area behind the fence, which was obscured by vegetation - hence, 'tossing something through the bushes' - that would work well [for me anyway] in confirming what Ed Hoffman claims he saw with the suitman tossing his weapon to his breakdown man, who was crouched behind one of the electrical service boxes, on the other side of the steampipe.

Anyway - the 2 boys who can be seen in many of the photos and films - for example in one of the earlier Moorman polaroids - standing on the sidewalk close to the Stemmons sign. They are interesting. You can follow them as they first run to the area I have detailed as Number 2 on Don's edited plat, then on to area Number 3, then to the top corner of the underpass, in the area which I have highlighted in green in the attached. It would be great to be able to identify one of these boys and interview them - asking why they reacted in that fashion. I don't know if they have ever come forward - Roberdeau's plat identifies one of them as 'Smith.' It's not Joe Marshall Smith, Edgar Smith, or LC Smith. Maybe Mark Oakes knows...

- lee

post-675-1147878875_thumb.jpg

One thing in the film and photos (where you put your boxes for us to follow along) that stands out to me. It appears in the video that just to the right of the image of the shooter (definitely movement there), there is also movement, which appears to be directly in sync with the movement of the limo.

Thanks Trent.

I am inclined to agree with you - however, most of the experts I contacted about this believe this is simply wind in the bushes. I don't. The only confimation I ever received was tenuous at best. I once stumbled upon someone who claimed to have witnessed a film taken from perhaps this location - based upon the description provided [TSBD doorway in background, etc] - that's all I managed to get. I didn't see the film, and I have no way of knowing if this person was credible. That's how it goes.

Here's a crop - thanks to Robin Unger - this was one of his high quality frames. I interpolated it, cropped this section, and slightly tweaked it. Now I know what the wind looks like anyway.

- lee

post-675-1147879623_thumb.jpg

Thanks Trent.

I am inclined to agree with you - however, most of the experts I contacted about this believe this is simply wind in the bushes. I don't. The only confimation I ever received was tenuous at best. I once stumbled upon someone who claimed to have witnessed a film taken from perhaps this location - based upon the description provided [TSBD doorway in background, etc] - that's all I managed to get. I didn't see the film, and I have no way of knowing if this person was credible. That's how it goes.

Here's a crop - thanks to Robin Unger - this was one of his high quality frames. I interpolated it, cropped this section, and slightly tweaked it. Now I know what the wind looks like anyway.

- lee

LOL! Thanks for sharing what the wind looks like!

Although I am sure there is some issue involving physics, line of sight, or a previously unknown presence of a large fan in this area, the "it's just the wind" opinion is somewhat weak in my eyes.

The reason for this is that this wind seems to be blowing east to west, at the same speed of the limo. Now, with just a quick study of the video, that seems to be the only place that the wind is blowing in that direction.

The first thing I looked for was truly noticeable movement in clothing or hair by people in the crowd, but this is difficult to see, even if it is there. No luck.

The next reference I used was the flags on the front of the limo, and using this could be deceiving, because they will inevitably move with the movement of the limo. However, it appears possible that even with that movement, the flags do seem to be waving a little to the north side of Elm. Inconclusive, but it appears that way to me.

The next reference is the lady next to the Stemmons sign on the North side of Elm. She has that white handkerchief on her head which is definitely appearing to be blown in a North to Northwest direction.

Although neither of these is conclusive, it does give at least a possible direction of the wind at that time.

However, the East to West direction of the wind in that area that I spoke of would seem to be obstructed by that wall immediately behind and the wall to the east of "the shooter" and his friend "the wind".

I'm not ready to buy the "it's just the wind" theory yet.

Location Number 2 - The 'Pergola Gardens.' This one is a bit shy of supporting material.

Attached is a Bronson, which I have tried to clean up a bit. The inset is a crop from Croft. Seems logical that the individual? behind the wall in the Croft photo may correlate well with the red box in the Bronson. I originally thought that perhaps this was a shooter - I now think it's more likely that this is one of the Fort Hood Camera Team Operatives.

The area from which I am thinking a shooter was located is closer to where I have indicated Rademacher's .222 discovery - behind the wall. On Rademacher's map [attached as well], curiously enough, he has the unknown man with a rifle under his coat that confronted Malcolm Summers, as being located some 10 feet from this point - in front of the wall. Did Summers point out this location in an interview?

Mary Woodward

“…After acknowledging our cheers he [Kennedy] faced forward again and suddenly there was a horrible, ear-shattering noise coming from behind us and a little to our right.”[4]

I assume here that she is turning as the Lincoln is passing to continue watching the President.

F. Lee Mudd

He stated that immediately after the shots were fired, some of the spectators along the side of the street dropped to the ground, and he did so himself, inasmujch as the shots alarmed him and he did not know what had happened or where the shots had come from.

If Roberdeau has accurately located Mudd on his plat, then it is odd that Mudd and others in his area would go prone on the sidewalk, if shots were being fired from a building across the street and 6 floors up. Mudd is close to the entrance of the walled walkway on the North side of Elm on the plat.

Bill Newman

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/organ3.htm

The November 22, 1963 affidavits of the Newman couple were published in Volume XIX of the Hearings; subsequently to be misrepresented by critics like Meagher, Thompson and Marrs. It wasn't until 1984, in the TV production "On Trial: Lee Harvey Oswald," that Vincent Bugliosi simply asked William Newman to specify the bit about the "garden directly behind me" that was in his affidavit of November 22, 1963. Newman specified the area to the east of the pergola; between the Depository and Newman's position on November 22 is a landscaped walkway.

Joe Marshall Smith

Mr. SMITH. I started up toward this Book Depository after I heard the shots, and I didn't know where the shots came from. I had no idea, because it was such a ricochet.

Mr. LIEBELER. An echo effect?

Mr. SMITH. Yes, sir.; and this woman came up to me and she was just in hysterics. She told me, "They are shooting the President from the bushes." So I immediately proceeded up here.

Mr. LIEBELER. You proceeded up to an area immediately behind the concrete structure here that is described by Elm Street and the street that runs immediately in front of the Texas School Book Depository, is that right?

Mr. SMITH. I was checking all the bushes and I checked all the cars in the parking lot.

This is the area number 5 on the attached, Warren Report Exhibit 354. Why would Officer Joe Marshall Smith be spending time to search these bushes, unless these are the bushes that he was directed to by the hysterical woman?

Mr. Liebeler.

After you heard the shots and went from point 4 on Commission Exhibit No. 354 down to point 5 searching the bushy area here, did you have any occasion to look up in the windows of any of the buildings surrounding the intersection of Elm and Houston Streets?

Mr. Smith.

No, sir; I was--pardon the expression--beating the bushes and checking the cars.

The two boys on the sidewalk, close to the umbrella man, both go running off to this area after the shooting. Again, if anyone has managed to get the ID of these boys, it would be great to know what they saw, and why they ran back there.

There are a few other reasons why I like this area, but I'll let this one load up for the moment.

- lee

post-675-1147890313_thumb.jpg

post-675-1147890368_thumb.jpg

post-675-1147890528_thumb.jpg

Lee,

Take a look at William Peppers 'An Act of State' for information regarding the surveilance of the shooting scene in the King assassination. Military intel men were taking photographs or Dr.King just before and during the shooting, capturing the man/ men in the bushes.

I am working on an article regarding the similarities between the JFK,MLK murders, the possible photography of the assassination will be covered in it. I wasn't aware of this Osborne material, it helps greatly.

Great post,

John

Aside from the material already presented [and I'm sure I am omitting a lot unintentionally], another reason for why I like this position concerns the toolsheds. They are directly behind Pergola Shelter #3. There is sufficient room to squeeze between them, and get a nice view of Elm St. It would be an even better view from the roof of the toolsheds. One reason that I find these toolsheds interesting, aside from their proximity to the corner where the bushes are located that Officer SMith searched and where the .222 was found, is an aftermath shot of the parking lot, which appears to have a large truck blocking the view. No way of knowing if it was there during the shooting or not - however, if so, Lee Bowers and anyone else in the parking area, would have had their view of this area totally obstructed.

Jim Phelps also believes that this was one of the shooter locations. I am using some of his replies to an email exchange, with his permission.

Sure---look at some of the crowd dynamics pieced together in the seconds

after the shooting from all the film and stills available. In the line of

fire----they hit the grass in just seconds. Some move to the center of the

Pergola's concrete curved area, away from the line of fire and view of the

Garden

and lie down---one runs to look behind the Pergola as someone leaves.

This old Time Mag. Photo has a line put on what would be the line of flight

of the bullet from the Pergola Garden's zone with the hedges:

http://members.aol.com/user357864/xJFKline.art

A similar photo also has all the Hedges and the Presidents car show, just

seconds before the head shot. If one zooms in on this photo, one sees a black

clad person standing on the sidewalk of the Garden Area:

http://members.aol.com/user357864/xGNGarden.art

The line of fire in the crowd for a shot from the Garden zone only opens up

after the Limo passes the big interstate sign.

This is another photo near the time of the Pergola Garden's sidewalk and

hedges:

http://members.aol.com/user357864/xPergolagarden.art

This Zapruder Photo of 313 shows some high speed fragment lines, this appears

to be the bullet fragments and one can do the velocity roughly via the length

of lines and box camera shutter times. These lines rule out a shot from

the front---behind the fences, etc. It is impossible for bullet fragments to

turn 90 degrees. These lines support a low angle shot from the Pergola Garden

zone.

http://members.aol.com/user357864/xZaplines.art

And the locus of the sound anaysis of the open microphone echo signals point

to this same Pergola Garden area as the locus of origin for one shot.

Check out the Documentary called "The JFK Conspiracy," which is narrated by

James Earl Jones and publish by BMG Video.

At about 1 hr and 12 minutes into the video, they show a photo of the area

that the open mic audio analysis pinpoints for the source of the Grassy Knoll

shot. It is basically this area of the Pergola's Garden----behind the little

4ft concrete wall there.

- lee

post-675-1147905784_thumb.jpg

post-675-1147906018_thumb.jpg

Very persuasive post.

The truck, the toolshed, the bunker "windows" and the

witnesses immediate physical responses all add up to a new "grassy knoll"

This is a bit of a breakthru my friend

>>> >>> >>>

(ps - my PC doesn't take .art files)

Lee,

Take a look at William Peppers 'An Act of State' for information regarding the surveilance of the shooting scene in the King assassination. Military intel men were taking photographs or Dr.King just before and during the shooting, capturing the man/ men in the bushes.

I am working on an article regarding the similarities between the JFK,MLK murders, the possible photography of the assassination will be covered in it. I wasn't aware of this Osborne material, it helps greatly.

Great post,

John

I'd be very interested in that John - thanks. Will take a look. I once emailed someone and suggested that the entire event was recorded - the person replied something to the effect that they were not surprised - as the CIA always made a record of everything. An interesting reply.

For Dealey Plaza, it's my belief that a survey, or even multiple surveys, would have been performed prior to 11/22/63. Even in the interview with Michel in TMWKK, the selected position used behind the fence was not the originally planned location -- on top of the underpass. Interesting, since it suggests that the Corsicans would have had to have visited the Plaza earlier. Additionally, as per The Men on the Sixth Floor - planning took place at one of the safehouses, as per Loy Factor - prior to the event. So it's my impression that these guys would have had plenty of resources available, as well as all types of back-up plans, etc. Still haven't managed to find the reference to the survey team in the Rambler with plates that were traced to the Dept of Public Works or something that were checked out by the DPD in the days before the assassination. Have you read that anywhere?

If you manage to locate Osborne, let me know. :D

- lee

post-675-1147907723_thumb.gif