The Education Forum

Backyard Photos, invitation for Jack White.

12 hours ago, Ray Mitcham said:

shadows.jpg

Well put, Ray.

And I recently neglected to give you credit for your perspective-corrected photo below. 

"Lee Harvey Oswald", of course, anagrams to:

"LHO SWAY REVEALED"

Back%20yard%20photosCE133Aperspective_zp

Edited by Tom Hume

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ray,

I have been channeling Jack White, uh, you know, uh, from the beyond.  He say's that's just a camera trick.

44 minutes ago, John Butler said:

Ray,

I have been channeling Jack White, uh, you know, uh, from the beyond.  He say's that's just a camera trick.

You better get back to him and tell him if he keeps telling porkies, he might transferred to a lower place.

Try another, John. How many before you admit that shadows from the sun can appear to diverge and converge? It depends on the point of view of the camera. All the tree trunk shadows shown are parallel. From the position of the camera they appear to diverge away from the sun, or, if you prefer, converge towards the sun..

shadows2.jpg

Edited by Ray Mitcham

Ray,

The shadows in your photo depend on the relationship of the trees to the sun.  If a tree is off and not directly in front of the sun then the shadow appears to be angled off the sun.  That's not the case.  The shadow is still being projected directly off the sun.  The camera records those as different angles depending on how far the tree is off the sun and which direction they are off the sun.

Besides, we are talking about apples and oranges here.  All of the shadows of the trees are moving in the same direction.  None reverse and go in a different direction showing a different position for the sun and a different time. 

In this photo the one sun is stationary and casting normal shadows.  This is normal for a light source to cast shadows from behind directly to the front and off to both sides depending on where the trees are at.  This phenomenon doesn't depend upon a camera.  Nowhere in this photo are any shadows reversed and moving in a different direction as they are in the BYP's which show a different time and sun position

Nice try Ray.  Try another.

Edited by John Butler

"The shadows in your photo depend on the relationship of the trees to the sun.  If a tree is off and not directly in front of the sun then the shadow appears to be angled off the sun.  "

How can the tree not be directly in front of the sun if we can see it's shadow? 

Seems like you are turning into Albert Doyle, John..

Has this photo been manipulated as well? Get your uoiji board out and ask Jack White.

shadows3.jpg

How about this one?

shadows6.jpg

All the shadows are parallel but seem to diverge because of the perspective of the camera.

Edited by Ray Mitcham

Ray,

Go back and read what I said.  All the trees are in front of the sun.  Some are not directly in front of the sun to the right and left based on where they are seen on the horizon line.  They cast their shadows to the right and left.  Perfectly normal.  They all go in the direction they should based on their relationship to the sun.  That is the key point you are missing.

None go in opposite or conflicting directions

Whose Albert Doyle?  Don't know the fellow.  I assuming your casting some kind of aspersion.  I'll go channel Jack and see what he has to say about you. 

Edited by John Butler

44 minutes ago, John Butler said:

Ray,

Go back and read what I said.  All the trees are in front of the sun.  Some are not directly in front of the sun to the right and left based on where they are seen on the horizon line.  They cast their shadows to the right and left.  Perfectly normal.  They all go in the direction they should based on their relationship to the sun.  That is the key point you are missing.

None go in opposite or conflicting directions

Whose Albert Doyle?  Don't know the fellow.  I assuming your casting some kind of aspersion.  I'll go channel Jack and see what he has to say about you. 

Your statement  "I have not read anything sensible here that can explain 3 conflicting shadow directions in the same photo, hence in the same time frame.  The sun does not cast shadows in different directions. "

Seems you now agree that they do.

Do you  still think that the first photo I showed you is a camera trick? 

"Whose [sic] Albert Doyle?  Don't know the fellow.  I assuming your casting some kind of aspersion." You obviously haven't been on this forum for long otherwise you would.

"I'll go channel Jack and see what he has to say about you. "

As I said, stop while your losing, John.

Edited by Ray Mitcham

Ray,

I really don't care who Albert Doyle is.  You need to get in touch with reality. 

If you can't understand simple physics and logic then there is no further need to communicate.

Sorry Ray.  I edited out the snarky comment.  Put me on your ignore list.

Edited by John Butler

12 hours ago, John Butler said:

Ray,

I really don't care who Albert Doyle is.  You need to get in touch with reality. 

If you can't understand simple physics and logic then there is no further need to communicate.

Sorry Ray.  I edited out the snarky comment.  Put me on your ignore list.

"Put me on your ignore list".... I would never put you on my ignore list, John, because I will always post against stupid comments, whoever posts them.

You didn't answer my question, John. 

"Do you  still think that the first photo I showed you is a camera trick? "

p.s. I believe the photos are faked, by the way.

Edited by Ray Mitcham

Ray,

I'll have to apologize for calling you a Lone Gunner.  I thought that was your position on most things.  I've deleted my stupid comment.  How about you?

You say you believe the BYP's are fake.  What do you base your belief on?  I await your answer with anticipation.

BTW, we've had these arguments before with very little or no agreement on either side maybe on this topic or others.  That's why I am replying to your last comment.  You actually said something I can agree with about the BYP's.

Edited by John Butler

1 hour ago, John Butler said:

Ray,

I'll have to apologize for calling you a Lone Gunner.  I thought that was your position on most things.  I've deleted my stupid comment.  How about you?

You say you believe the BYP's are fake.  What do you base your belief on?  I await your answer with anticipation.

BTW, we've had these arguments before with very little or no agreement on either side maybe on this topic or others.  That's why I am replying to your last comment.  You actually said something I can agree with about the BYP's.

Before I answer, maybe you would like to  answer the question I posed above.

i.e "do you still think  that the photo I posted was a faked?"

Edited by Ray Mitcham