The Education Forum

David Francis Powers and Kenneth O'Donnell

Mark Valenti wrote:

Don't forget - one key eyewitness said she saw a dog in the limo next to JFK. So not all eyewitnesses are credible.

This bit of misinformation is still being trotted out to discredit Jean Hill. Jackie was given a small stuffed animal, which was next to her in the limousine, and could easily have been mistaken for a small dog. I was once one of those who used this against Jean Hill, but I later found about the stuffed animal. It does not affect her credibility.

Jean Hill told the Warren Commission about how she saw "a little white dog" in the rear seat of the president's car. As there was no dog in the car, the reliability of Hill's witness statement was undermined. However, 25 years later, it was revealed that a small white stuffed animal was on the back seat of the car. A child had presented it to Jackie Kennedy at the beginning of the tour of Dallas. This information was suppressed in order to discredit Hill as a reliable witness.

See this thread for a discussion on this issue:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7516

I have just had this email. Does anyone know anything about it?

I have studied the role of Mr. Powers with JFK, and I believe there is information pertaining to his last will and testament, his estate and a copy of a 16mm or 8mm film that he took from his vantage point directly behind President Kennedy's limousine that is now beyond the reach of the general public. This film is owned by Mr. Powers' children I believe and it is never, according to his will, to be shown or removed from safe storage. I have read articles about the film in the Boston newspapers immediately after Mr. Powers' death, but any information about the film is now either an Internet legend or completely unimportant to the popular news media.

The importance of the film is that from Mr. Powers' position he is supposed to have photographed the grassy knoll area and the President's head movements and his head exploding when the bullets hit him. With the strange testimony of Mr. O'Donnell and Mr. Powers and RFK's reluctance to reopen the case until he ran for president tragically and TK's reluctance to do anything to resurrect the investigation, this film might shed the light needed. I am trying on my end rather poorly I might add. I hope this is informative to you.

Are there any photos showing anyone filming from the "Queen Mary" SS follow-up car after the Elm Street turn?

Just curious.

Thanks,

--Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

? (don't quote me on this one :) something dark covers part of face and casts a shadow on shoulder. I figured if it's a hand holding a mike the hand would be whiter. (gloves?) camera??

If this is correct (taken from personal notes), the Queen Mary had these individuals seated:

Driver: SA Sam Kinney

Front passenger seat: SA Emory P. Roberts *(radio), (assigned assistant to SA in charge)

Left running board: SA Clinton Hill (front), SA William MCintyre (back)

Right running board: SA John Ready (front), SA Paul Landis (back)

Jump seats: Appointment secretary of Pres. Kennedy; Kenneth O'Donnell (left),Mr. Dave Powers (right)

Back seats: SA Glen Bennett (left), SA George Hickey (right)

*I believe Robin Unger recently posted some of the motorcade structure a little while ago, but I could not locate it right now.

Looking at the Powers film that has been released, it is relatively obvious to me, that he is standing up in the car while filming. Now, after the motorcade has made its turn right on Houston St., Powers is visible in various footage/photos. Also on Elm St. Amongst them, are the Nix-film, the Muchmore film, and the Hughes film. These show him on Houston St., sitting down in the car, looking downwards it could seem like. At least in those short segments of time, which he is visible. Whether he is filming or not, is for others to determine.

On Elm St. it seems to me like he has turned his sight of view a slight bit somewhat to his right in the Willis photo: http://jfk.fotopic.net/p37002837.html . He is still sitting, and again it would be for others to determine whether he could be filming or not. The same applies to the Betzner photo: http://jfk.fotopic.net/p37002840.html , except for that it might seem like he is facing more forwards. As I understood it, the Betzner photo was taken slightly before the Willis photo.

The Altgens photo which John posted a crop from here, has many things to it. One of them is the absence of Dave F. Powers. At least I cannot see him, as I always thought the man visible behind SA Emory Roberts was SA George Hickey. Maybe it is I who have completely misinterpreted this. The man seems to have glasses, and I recall remarks on his famous 'grin'. If I have managed to be mistaken about this all along I would very much appreciate being corrected. If it is Hickey, where is Powers? Behind Roberts, jumped to the floor, or where?

? (don't quote me on this one :) something dark covers part of face and casts a shadow on shoulder. I figured if it's a hand holding a mike the hand would be whiter. (gloves?) camera??

I agree with you. Someone has blackened out the image of the SS's hand, probably holding some kind of phone. Who is the old guy with the grin on his face sitting behind this agent?

Kathy

On Elm St. it seems to me like he has turned his sight of view a slight bit somewhat to his right in the Willis photo: http://jfk.fotopic.net/p37002837.html . He is still sitting, and again it would be for others to determine whether he could be filming or not. The same applies to the Betzner photo: http://jfk.fotopic.net/p37002840.html , except for that it might seem like he is facing more forwards. As I understood it, the Betzner photo was taken slightly before the Willis photo.

The Altgens photo which John posted a crop from here, has many things to it. One of them is the absence of Dave F. Powers. At least I cannot see him, as I always thought the man visible behind SA Emory Roberts was SA George Hickey. Maybe it is I who have completely misinterpreted this. The man seems to have glasses, and I recall remarks on his famous 'grin'. If I have managed to be mistaken about this all along I would very much appreciate being corrected. If it is Hickey, where is Powers? Behind Roberts, jumped to the floor, or where?

This is tangential, but in the Willis photo I notice the motorcycle cops' cycles did not have their brake lights on. So the limo stop probably has not yet occurred.

Kathy

This is tangential, but in the Willis photo I notice the motorcycle cops' cycles did not have their brake lights on. So the limo stop probably has not yet occurred.

Kathy

I would still like to know whether or not there are any photos showing David F. Powers filming from the Queen Mary after it turned onto Elm Street. This is an important and timely question, given the fact that John Simkin recently received an e-mail saying that Powers had captured some critically important images during the actual shooting...

Thanks,

--Thomas

Edited by Thomas Graves

If this is correct (taken from personal notes), the Queen Mary had these individuals seated:

Driver: SA Sam Kinney

Front passenger seat: SA Emory P. Roberts *(radio), (assigned assistant to SA in charge)

Left running board: SA Clinton Hill (front), SA William MCintyre (back)

Right running board: SA John Ready (front), SA Paul Landis (back)

Jump seats: Appointment secretary of Pres. Kennedy; Kenneth O'Donnell (left),Mr. Dave Powers (right)

Back seats: SA Glen Bennett (left), SA George Hickey (right)

*I believe Robin Unger recently posted some of the motorcade structure a little while ago, but I could not locate it right now.

Looking at the Powers film that has been released, it is relatively obvious to me, that he is standing up in the car while filming. Now, after the motorcade has made its turn right on Houston St., Powers is visible in various footage/photos. Also on Elm St. Amongst them, are the Nix-film, the Muchmore film, and the Hughes film. These show him on Houston St., sitting down in the car, looking downwards it could seem like. At least in those short segments of time, which he is visible. Whether he is filming or not, is for others to determine.

There was a study done on this subject in the past, and Dave Powers could not be found filming after Main St...

in any film or photos..........I believe he said he ran out of film part way down Main...would have to check..

But please do your own study..

Below is the schematic of the Queen Mary, and the Motorcylists..with names shown of the passengers in the Willis photo.......

Powers film......it does stop on Main St.......

http://jfkmurderphotos.bravehost.com/powers.html

B....

Edited by Bernice Moore

Thank you so much for the schematic Bernice. My notes was inaccurate, as they mixed Hickey's and Bennett's placements. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Would that mean it is SA Bennett who is seen behind Roberts in the Altgens photo, or is it Powers? And if not Powers, where is he?

Comments by Bruce Cormier.

Several have speculated that the footage that is available is only partial -- that is, that Powers or others excerpted the film and hid the interesting stuff. I've seen absolutely no support for that proposition, which would appear to add Powers (and now his family?) to a seemingly unending line of cover-up artists.

This strikes me as nonsense, and thus a dead end. For one thing, I'm not even sure one could will the damn thing to his heirs -- but stipulate that it never be shown; either you have willed it to them, in which case they are free to do with it as they please, or you haven't.

For another, what would be the point? If you want to cover up, then you destroy the film; if you don't, you keep it. (Any notion that Powers was leaving the film to his family as insurance against those who might threaten them would be more speculative rubbish).

Finally, if he was a cover-up artist, then why would Powers confirm what O'Donnell told O'Neill? Their account of seeing shots fired from the vicinity of the grassy knoll is, of course, damning -- and if they didn't want O'Neill to relate it, one can be fairly confident he wouldn't have. These folks were, above all, loyal to each other.

Thank you so much for the schematic Bernice. My notes was inaccurate, as they mixed Hickey's and Bennett's placements. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Would that mean it is SA Bennett who is seen behind Roberts in the Altgens photo, or is it Powers? And if not Powers, where is he?

It is Powers........if you also look at the top of his head, above the mirror, it appears to be bald..

From Powers' affidavit May 1964:

"I was assigned to ride in the Secret Service automobile which proceeded immediately behind the President's car in the motorcade. That Secret Service follow-up automobile was an open car with two Special Agents in the front seat, two Special Agents in the rear seat and two Special agents on each of the two running boards. I sat in the jump seat on the right side of the car and Kenneth O'Donnell sat in the jump seat on the left side of the car."

I believe somewhere I have his recall that he thought the first sound was a firecracker as many others did.....and also how well everything

appeared to be going, in the motorcade, the welcoming crowds and all..all waving and friendly.

Vincent Palamara "

"Powers is the older, bald guy with glasses in the middle of Altgens' photo."..

SA Bennett is in the right back seat....

It is difficult at times not to mix them up...we all do I am sure...

B.....

Edited by Bernice Moore

Thank you for clearing that up. I saw Powers had glasses on, in the picture of him which you posted, with him holding his camera.

I just did not think it looked much like him in the Altgens photo, compared to the Stoughton photo of him, and his suit appeared dark to my eyes. But then again I was not able to locate SA Bennett (or any SA) behind him, so I wrongly assumed that he might be sitting in the rear right seat. Now that you have pointed out that SA Bennett is visible, I finally get that he is sitting in the jump seat, and it can not be any other than Powers. Maybe this is common knowledge to some, but was not to me. Thank you Bernice.

"If the bullet that wounded the president was not the same bullet that wounded John Connally, and I testified that it wasn't, and John Connally testified that it wasn't, then there would have had to be more than one assassin." (May 13, 1976, interviewed on WGBH-TV, Boston)

http://www.jfklancer.com/LNE/report35.html

"...he carefully addresses Kennedy as "Mr. President," just as carefully avoids horning in on any serious matters of state. His invariable greeting for even the stuffiest White House visitor is "Hi, pal." As he rode through the streets of Paris in a motorcade after meeting Charles de Gaulle, Powers waved to the crowd and shouted: "Comment alley-voos, pal?" ("One of the Boys" Friday,Jul.20, 1962)

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...promoid=googlep

Thank you Trygve for the links....

The article on Dave Powers, just about says it all, from what I have read...I have never seen

him in a video, about the assassination, that he does become quite emotional...even after many

years had passed...

They were great friends.....

Below, for you are two photos..One is the Altgens, which has been labeled, by Robin or R.J.S,

not positive now..by someone......anyway, insert Bennett and you have them all named..

The other was taken on the Presidents last Birthday, May 29th 1963....at the WH...on the right

you can see Dave Powers grinning...He was never far away....

B..

They were obviously very close. He sounds like he was a likeable person in many ways.

By all accounts Dave Powers could charm the birds off the trees, and there are many anecdotes in JOHNNY WE HARDLY KNEW YE illustrating the qualities that JFK admired about him. He had shrewd political instincts and was a constant reminder to JFK of the interests, needs and outlook of the common man. He was also the Court Jester of Camelot, always good for a laugh, especially when things seemed hopeless.

He is now an important witness to the location of the gunman who killed Kennedy.

Paul "Red" Fay was another of JFK's Irish "mafia" and also a PT boat hero of World War II. His book THE PLEASURE OF HIS COMPANY will remain essential for future historians. JFK's appreciation of Powers is glimpsed in Red Fay's book, while showing JFK to be an ordinary man who transformed himself into the extraordinary.

I am constantly amused by the antics of people like Seymour Hersh who seek to denigrate JFK (and thereby trivialize his murder) in books and documentaries and even postings on this forum. It is not difficult to see that Hersh and other followers of his cult all have one thing in common: None of them would be fit to lick JFK's boots.