The Education Forum

School Uniform

The headteacher of the first school in which I taught insisted that all teachers wore academic dress on two occasions in the year: Prize Day and the annual Christmas service at the local church. I realised that hiring this gear twice a year would be expensive in the long term, so I bought it. I then tried to claim what I spent on my gown and hood to be offset against income tax on the grounds that such gear could be considered "working attire", but the local Inland Revenue office was not sympathetic and pointed out that my gown and hood were not exclusively "working attire". I then wrote them a letter arguing that my neighbour, a lorry driver, was able to claim for the boiler suit that he wore during working hours and that he was able to wear the same suit to protect his clothes when painting his garden shed, so his boiler suit was not exclusively "working attire" either, and I still had not found a use for my gown and hood outside school - such gear was inappropriate for wearing while painting my garden shed, for example. I can't remember how the Inland Revenue office replied - I don't think they bothered to reply, actually.

I am not particularly against the idea of people dressing up for special occasions. My elder daughter splashed out on a beautiful wedding dress and looked gorgeous on her wedding day. I was so proud of her! Her mum and I didn't look bad either ;)

Yes ....

Because our new head says uniform is the key to good behaviour, and he must be right mustn't he? Also he intends to start a uniform for the 6th form. Rumour has it that there is to be a uniform for staff... I think I might enjoy that bit.

Rob, I think you are starting to stray on to dangerous ground here!!

Also he intends to start a uniform for the 6th form.  Rumour has it that there is to be a uniform for staff... I think I might enjoy that bit.

In my mind's eye I see a vision of some of my male colleagues dressed in grey flannel shorts, sagging grey socks, short stripey ties and overtight blazers stretched over rotund beer bellies....Ha Ha!! :rolleyes:

Rob, I think you are starting to stray on to dangerous ground here!!

Also he intends to start a uniform for the 6th form.  Rumour has it that there is to be a uniform for staff... I think I might enjoy that bit.

In my mind's eye I see a vision of some of my male colleagues dressed in grey flannel shorts, sagging grey socks, short stripey ties and overtight blazers stretched over rotund beer bellies....Ha Ha!! :D

One can only hope that the burkha gains credibility should this line of thought develop into established practice :rolleyes:

Staff uniform. I see something in black possibly with shiny leather boots....

Alternatively the staff could come as vicars and tarts.....I don't possess a dog collar but I am sure I can lay my hands on some nifty stillettos ;)

(Incidentally my daughter quit St John's Ambulance because of the uniform and the fact that if someone asked her to salute she told them to grow up.....I decided against a career in the RAF for similar reasons!)