The Education Forum

James Hosty

Guest Tom Scully

Gary Mack has contacted the New York Times about this mistake. It will be interesting if they make a public apology about it.

The NY Times published the Hosty disinformation in their print edition,

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/us/20hosty.html?_r=3

James P. Hosty, Investigated Oswald, Dies at 86By PAUL VITELLO

Published: June 19, 2011

A version of this article appeared in print on June 20, 2011, on page A25 of the New York edition with the headline: James P. Hosty, 86; Investigated Oswald..

I, too sent an email titled, "Error in Your article By PAUL VITELLO, of the death of FBI agent James Hosty" to nytnews@nytimes.com

I ended my communication to the NYT with,

...Your own records support my contention.:

FBI Focus of Inquiry on Oswald Note; FBI SCRUTINIZED ON...

$3.95 - New York Times - Sep 23, 1975

"They chain of events that led to that destruction are the focus of any administrative inquiry now under way within the FBI It is in connection with that..."

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=stVVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MuADAAAAIBAJ&pg=6709,4352983&dq=hosty+letter&hl=en

Eugene Register-Guard - Sep 18, 1975

"The existence and destruction of the letter was first reported two weeks ago by the Dallas Times-Herald...."

Your newspaper provides both news and the distribution of news through what amounts to a news "service". Other newspapers and broadcast news media quote what you report. Why is the fact checking of your newstaff so deficient, creating such a distortion as this one?

I received an autoreply, but unlike Gary Mack, I am nobody. No correction has appeared on the NYT online edition article, yet.

Your E-Mail to The Times

Reply |nytnews to me

show details 3:20 PM (13 hours ago)

fromnytnews nytnews@nytimes.com

to Scully <.....scully@gmail.com>

dateMon, Jun 20, 2011 at 3:20 PM

subjectYour E-Mail to The Times

mailed-bynytimes.com hide details 3:20 PM (13 hours ago)

THANK YOU for writing The New York Times. We are grateful to readers who take the time to help us report thoroughly and accurately. Your message will reach the appropriate editor or reporter promptly. What happens now that your message has been received, or if you have more questions? ACCURACY: If you have pointed out an error, a correction will appear on Page A2 as soon as possible. Corrections for articles in weekly sections usually appear in those sections. Because dozens of readers often point out the same error, we cannot notify each person that we are publishing a correction. Please accept our thanks now. If we decide that a correction is not necessary, an editor or a reporter will be in touch to explain our reasons. NEWS COVERAGE: If you are writing to give us feedback on our coverage, your message will be forwarded to the appropriate department....

The New York Times cannot blame Wikipedia for the error as it does not have an entry for Hosty. My page on Hosty is number one on Google searches for his name. Clearly, Vitello did not get his information from my website:

The message that Oswald handed in to the FBI office in Dallas remained a secret until 1975. It became public knowledge when someone in the FBI tipped off a journalist about the existence of Oswald's letter. Oswald's relationship with Hosty was explored by the Select Committee on Intelligence Activities and the Select Committee on Assassinations. Hosty admitted that he had misled the Warren Commission by not telling them about the existence of the letter from Oswald. Gordon Shanklin denied knowing about the letter but this evidence was contradicted by the testimony of Hosty and William Sullivan, the Assistant Director of the FBI.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKhosty.htm

Maybe, someone could create a Wikipedia page on Hosty and put in a lot of information on Oswald that is not acceptable to the administrators for his Wikipedia entry.

Guest Tom Scully

The members of, and the Associated Press, itself, have so far successfully buried these details in their "reporting" of Hosty's death. The NY Times has distorted this, describing it as timely disclosure made by Hosty in 1964, instead of accurately reporting about his complicity in misleading Warren Commission investigators and obstruction of justice.:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=james+hosty+concealed+letter&sa=N&tbs=nws:1,ar:1#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&tbs=cdr:1%2Ccd_min%3A1975%2Ccd_max%3A1978&tbm=nws&source=hp&q=james+hosty+letter&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=c9ed286dc41860ee&biw=811&bih=493

Senate Probers Critical Of Agencies In Jfk Case .

Beaver Country Times - Jun 23, 1976

Special Agent James Hosty in Dallas destroyed a letter Oswald wrote him weeks before Kennedy was slain in November, 1963 Hosty withheld this in formation ...

House Probes Oswald Ties .

Star-News - Oct 14, 1975

Despite the threat contained In the letter, both Hoover and James Hosty, Jr . the special agent who was investigating Oswald at the time, told the Warren ...

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22commission+they+had+no+reason+before+the+kennedy+shooting*%22&tbs=nws:1,ar:1&source=newspapers#hl=en&ds=n&sugexp=ldymls&pq=%22no%20reason%20before%20the%20kennedy%20shooting*%22&xhr=t&q=letter%20hoover%20hosty%20%22told%20the%20Warren%20Commission%20that%20they%20had%20no%20reason%20before%22&cp=7&qe=bGV0dGVyIGhvb3ZlciBob3N0eSAidG9sZCB0aGUgV2FycmVuIENvbW1pc3Npb24gdGhhdCB0aGV5IGhhZCBubyByZWFzb24gYmVmb3JlIg&qesig=H062NU2sayZYKv_MMQjtaQ&pkc=AFgZ2tkMiY89DvK3pBTtbEmDTNdW301xyxmtYvZNHDmU2EaaSwbvn_K5s6dLc_p1RwladvhuWSgBtjSwS_-48bUoPHntF-ihzw&pf=p&sclient=psy&safe=off&tbs=ar:1&tbm=nws&source=hp&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=letter+hoover+hosty+%22told+the+Warren+Commission+that+they+had+no+reason+before%22&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=c9ed286dc41860ee&biw=811&bih=493

Panel Studies FBI Links To Oswald and Ruby in '63; House...

- New York Times - Oct 14, 1975

Despite the threat contained in the letter, both Mr. Hoover and James P. Hosty Jr., the special agent who was investigating Oswald at the time, told the Warren Commission that they had no reason before the Kennedy shooting to believe that Oswald was capable of violence.

Edited by Tom Scully

Guest Tom Scully

After distributing misinformation online and in print, finally, a correction!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/us/20hosty.html?_r=4

James P. Hosty, Investigated Oswald, Dies at 86

By PAUL VITELLO

....In fact, it was Mr. Hosty’s contacts with Oswald, rather than the lack of them, that came to haunt him. In 1975, testifying before Congress, Mr. Hosty admitted having received a letter from Oswald in the weeks before the assassination and destroying it on the day Oswald was killed by Jack Ruby, Nov. 24.

He said the letter included Oswald’s sharp protest over Mr. Hosty’s having questioned Oswald’s wife, Marina, when the agent made two visits to their home while Oswald was out. Mr. Hosty testified that he destroyed the letter on orders from his supervisor, J. Gordon Shanklin. (Mr. Shanklin denied giving such an order.)

Mr. Hosty also figured in a deception involving Oswald’s address book. Mr. Hosty’s name and phone number appeared in the book, but F.B.I. agents in Washington, taking inventory of the contents of it for the Warren Commission, left his name out. (Commission lawyers later obtained the address book and discovered the omission.)

Both incidents made Mr. Hosty a lightning rod for suspicion about the credibility of the F.B.I. in the aftermath of the assassination, raising questions for some about what the agency knew and would not tell. For others, the incidents suggested darker possibilities.

Mr. Hosty’s name is ubiquitous in the conspiracy literature. Oliver Stone’s 1991 movie “JFK” has a fictionalized version of him at the center of a conspiracy of government operatives who kill the president and set up Oswald — an F.B.I. informant in the film — to take the fall. ...

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: June 21, 2011

An earlier version referred incorrectly at one point to Mr. Hosty’s testimony before the Warren Commission. He did not tell the commission that he had received a letter from Oswald in the weeks before President John F. Kennedy’s assassination and later destroyed it; Mr. Hosty did not publicly acknowledge receiving that letter until he testified before Congress in 1975.

Edited by Tom Scully

After distributing misinformation online and in print, finally, a correction!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/20/us/20hosty.html?_r=4

James P. Hosty, Investigated Oswald, Dies at 86

By PAUL VITELLO

....In fact, it was Mr. Hosty’s contacts with Oswald, rather than the lack of them, that came to haunt him. In 1975, testifying before Congress, Mr. Hosty admitted having received a letter from Oswald in the weeks before the assassination and destroying it on the day Oswald was killed by Jack Ruby, Nov. 24.

He said the letter included Oswald’s sharp protest over Mr. Hosty’s having questioned Oswald’s wife, Marina, when the agent made two visits to their home while Oswald was out. Mr. Hosty testified that he destroyed the letter on orders from his supervisor, J. Gordon Shanklin. (Mr. Shanklin denied giving such an order.)

Mr. Hosty also figured in a deception involving Oswald’s address book. Mr. Hosty’s name and phone number appeared in the book, but F.B.I. agents in Washington, taking inventory of the contents of it for the Warren Commission, left his name out. (Commission lawyers later obtained the address book and discovered the omission.)

Both incidents made Mr. Hosty a lightning rod for suspicion about the credibility of the F.B.I. in the aftermath of the assassination, raising questions for some about what the agency knew and would not tell. For others, the incidents suggested darker possibilities.

Mr. Hosty’s name is ubiquitous in the conspiracy literature. Oliver Stone’s 1991 movie “JFK” has a fictionalized version of him at the center of a conspiracy of government operatives who kill the president and set up Oswald — an F.B.I. informant in the film — to take the fall. ...

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: June 21, 2011

An earlier version referred incorrectly at one point to Mr. Hosty’s testimony before the Warren Commission. He did not tell the commission that he had received a letter from Oswald in the weeks before President John F. Kennedy’s assassination and later destroyed it; Mr. Hosty did not publicly acknowledge receiving that letter until he testified before Congress in 1975.

Dang! I was hoping the New York Times would refuse to make the correction, thereby enabling us hard-core Conspiracy Theorists and True Believers to self-righteously accuse them of STONEWALLING us and LYING to us. I was hoping that we could implicate them as being INSTRUMENTAL (or at least complicit) in the ASSASSINATION ITSELF! lol B)

--Thomas

• 10 years later...
On 8/1/2006 at 8:52 PM, Ron Ecker said:

Former FBI agent Carver Gayton told the Church Committee in 1976 that Hosty had told him that Oswald was a PSI (Potential Security Informant) for the FBI. James Gochenaur, who at one time rented an apartment from Gayton, told the HSCA that Gayton told him the same thing.

In 1977 Gayton changed his story, denying to the HSCA that Hosty told him anything about Oswald and denying that he told any such thing to Gochenaur.

In his book (pp. 207-208) Hosty claims that Gayton must have overheard a conversation that he misunderstood. Hosty says that another agent asked him if Oswald was an informant, and he laughed and said no but Jack Ruby was. Hosty says that Gayton must have missed the Ruby part and thought he meant Oswald.

Who do you trust?

http://www.webcom.com/ctka/pr995-fbi.html

Looking for info on Carver Gayton I came across this old thread.  Interesting he changed his story between the Church Committee in 1976 and the HSCA in 1977, and that Gochenaur confirms being told the first version.