The Education Forum

JFK Threads

I absolutely agree, Maggie. I am not going to be driven away, and I apologise to any JFK fans who felt hurt, as my criticism wasn't about their right to post but about whether there was a better way of organising it. Now that I've had it explained to me how to go straight to what I'm interested in, that's fine. I didn't need to be told that I was just like all other teachers! However, I will try not to take it personally and continue to post on topics which interest me.

I absolutely agree, Maggie. I am not going to be driven away, and I apologise to any JFK fans who felt hurt, as my criticism wasn't about their right to post but about whether there was a better way of organising it. Now that I've had it explained to me how to go straight to what I'm interested in, that's fine. I didn't need to be told that I was just like all other teachers! However, I will try not to take it personally and continue to post on topics which interest me.

The last thing I want to do is to drive anybody away from this forum. The reason I made this posting was to prevent the JFK researchers from being driven away.

One of the interesting points about this forum is that the most popular threads are those where contributors strongly disagree about the subject (it is the main reason why the JFK part of the forum is so popular). This is not surprising as most people are intellectually stimulated by disagreement. (I think Marx had some interesting things to say about this.) It is also very educational. Not so much for the contributors who often hold fixed positions but for those observing the debate.

Most people are confident enough of their views to defend them on the forum. There are others who hold positions for emotional rather than intellectual reasons. They will always find debate difficult on the forum and will eventually decide to leave. It is also inevitable they will make some sort of statement when they leave about being driven away. However, the truth is that they are leaving because they are intellectually unable to defend their position.

I will be doing a bit of restructuring over the next few days setting up a discrete research section with some introductory information as to what it is for. I will also look into adding to the board guidelines to contain information about the broad nature of the forum and how best to find what you are looking forward. It would be good if I could set up an automated message containing this information every time a new member joins so I'll look into that as well. It won't be for a few days however.

Doesn't Sheriff Simkin look stern these days. I suspect he has been visiting Texas rather than Sweden as claimed ;)