The Education Forum

A New Angle on Murder

Despite an apparent general indifference to the square-city-block of sucking vacuum called the County Courts (or Criminal Courts)/County Records building that looks down over Dealey Plaza, I was determined to pursue this—well, "angle" is the only word that will serve.

To that end (and many others) I created a 3D model of Dealey Plaza, opened the damned windows of the place, and took a look. Here's what I saw from two of them:

3dCounty-Courts-Window-4Csm.jpg

3dCounty-Courts-Window-5E.jpg

Here is a view from behind the north pergola that identifies the two windows being viewed through above. (The number/letter system of window identification is just an arbitrary system I created to keep track of them):

3dCounty-Courts-from-N-Pergol.jpg

Here's looking at you, kid.

Ashton Gray

Edited by Ashton Gray

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting, Ashton. What uses do you have in mind for it?

Jack

I'm not entirely sure, Jack. It's a work in progress, and I swear my primary motivation was to be able to look out those windows.

It started out to be a simple thing weeks ago, but became a very not-simple thing with a life of its own hounding me into giving up sleep pretty much altogether. (It was either sleep or work. I had to opt for sleep.)

Here are a couple more views. This one is from near where the elusive Black Dog Blob is rumored to have been (although that 30° field of view notation should say 60° if my memory serves me):

3dFrom-Near-BDMsm.jpg

Here's one from the roof of Old Red:

3dRoof-of-Old-Redsm.jpg

And one from the overpass:

3dFrom-Overpass-1.jpg

To keep the file size somewhat manageable, the trees are 2D-faux-3D (flat images set always to face the camera).

Any place you want to look from? I haven't tried the Zapruder location yet. Do you know what focal length he was using? I'll try setting that up. Unfortunately, I don't have a limo modeled to put in. Yet. Nor do I have the lamposts or the Stemmons sign done yet.

Ashton

Very interesting, Ashton. What uses do you have in mind for it?

Jack

I'm not entirely sure, Jack. It's a work in progress, and I swear my primary motivation was to be able to look out those windows.

It started out to be a simple thing weeks ago, but became a very not-simple thing with a life of its own hounding me into giving up sleep pretty much altogether. (It was either sleep or work. I had to opt for sleep.)

Here are a couple more views. This one is from near where the elusive Black Dog Blob is rumored to have been (although that 30° field of view notation should say 60° if my memory serves me):

3dFrom-Near-BDMsm.jpg

Here's one from the roof of Old Red:

3dRoof-of-Old-Redsm.jpg

And one from the overpass:

3dFrom-Overpass-1.jpg

To keep the file size somewhat manageable, the trees are 2D-faux-3D (flat images set always to face the camera).

Any place you want to look from? I haven't tried the Zapruder location yet. Do you know what focal length he was using? I'll try setting that up. Unfortunately, I don't have a limo modeled to put in. Yet. Nor do I have the lamposts or the Stemmons sign done yet.

Ashton

Great work, Ash. i would like to see the perspective from the roof of the dal-tex building, please.

Personally, I believe a shot was fired from up there.

In peace and friendship.

a view from the South Knoll would be very timely.

thanks in advance, I hope...

i would like to see the perspective from the roof of the dal-tex building, please.

Personally, I believe a shot was fired from up there.

Could be. Here's from the southwest corner [sUNG] "Up on the roof..."[/sUNG]

Roof-of-Dal-Tex.jpg

Unfortunately looking from there reminded me that I still have to put in that spur line of track. Also, does anybody have any way for me to know where to locate the switching tower with anything resembling accuracy?

Ashton

Edited by Ashton Gray

Despite an apparent general indifference to the square-city-block of sucking vacuum called the County Courts (or Criminal Courts)/County Records building that looks down over Dealey Plaza, I was determined to pursue this—well, "angle" is the only word that will serve.

To that end (and many others) I created a 3D model of Dealey Plaza, opened the damned windows of the place, and took a look. Here's what I saw from two of them:

Here is a view from behind the north pergola that identifies the two windows being viewed through above. (The number/letter system of window identification is just an arbitrary system I created to keep track of them):

Here's looking at you, kid.

Ashton Gray

very nice work, Ashton

Look forward to updates

Ashton,

After you refine this technique, it could be used to obtain the views of those half-dozen or so witnesses who saw two men standing in one of the TSBD windows.

Some of these witnesses were in the prison, several floors above the ground in the county courts building, cattycorner from the TSBD. Another guy was on the other side of the next building, a vet, whose testimony is debunked by those who claim he couldn't have seen what he claims from his location. Let's take a look.

BK

Very nice to see, Ashton. Tom's the man with the survey plat and the base marks.

A placing of obstacles like people and windscreen with a view from Kennedy's head in all directions should tell what is posssible and what is not (as each person and thing casts a 'shadow' over the surrounding buildings). It's be great to have one of these online with an apple running it.

a view from the South Knoll would be very timely.

I'll try to have it this weekend, Tom, but I've been handling a few of the requests while simultaneously redoing the topography for the infield, roads, and knolls, which is bloody hell, and it's at a stage at the moment that makes this difficult.

Speaking of which, do you (or does anybody) know what the clearance sign on the overpass says, or what that clearance actually is? I've laid the footprints of everything out from the available schematics, but I'm having to extrapolate elevations and feature heights from a lot of photographic information and some of it is iffy.

Ashton

P.S. To anyone I haven't answered, I'm strapped by the "only one response in one thread until somebody else responds" genii in the forum, so I'll get back to it.

It should be able to correlate this to the headview itself using InspeckEm 5.0, ( from www.inspeck.com ).

The coordinates here relate to the head orientation from Zapruders camera. To translate them to coordinates in the 3dplaza model shouldn't be difficult for someone who understands these things easily.(not me)

screencaps

Thanks to John Dolva and Peter Lemkin for the images. It's a great help.

(Sorry to be gang-replying, but it's a workaround to this forum thing where I can only post once in a topic till somebody else does, or until I post in a different one. Life's not that long...)

Ashton

Thanks to John Dolva and Peter Lemkin for the images. It's a great help.

(Sorry to be gang-replying, but it's a workaround to this forum thing where I can only post once in a topic till somebody else does, or until I post in a different one. Life's not that long...)

Ashton

Great stuff Ashton, now can you add in all the shooters? :) Of course you will get many opinions here.

Dawn