The Education Forum

Colonel Lawrence Orlov

The FBI interviewed Col Lawrence Orlov; on 3-4-1964 FBI SA Raymond Yelchak filed a record of his interview with the Colonel.

Col Lawrence Orlov, 511 N. Akard Building, furnished the following information:

About a year ago in October, 1962 a friend of his, GEORGE DEMOHRENSCHILDT, asked him if he would like to meet a young Russian girl at Fort Worth, Texas. They both proceeded to Fort Worth on business and later that same day GEORGE took him to meet MARINA OSWALD. They spent a few minutes in conversation with MARINA and were interrupted by LEE HARVEY OSWALD's return from work. OSWALD seemed to be a genial sort of person. The conversation was held in the Russian language however ORLOV however ORLOV does not believe the conversation was of any consequence. He stated GEORGE informed him that MARINA was in great fear of her husband and he [GEORGE] was attempting to help them get settled. ORLOV indicated that a few months later GEORGE casually mentioned that he and some others [he did not mention any names] were talking about arranging to get a divorce for MARINA OSWALD in view of the mistreatment she was receiving from her husband. GEORGE gave no indication that the OSWALDS were aware of this. ORLOV stated he had no other information in regards to the OSWALDS.

Col. ORLOV believes GEORGE DEMOHRENSCHILDT and his wife, JEANNE left for Haiti in early 1963 and he has since communicated with GEORGE. GEORGE in one of his letters, expressed the belief that LEE OSWALD was much too intelligent a man to have assassinated President KENNEDY and it is his "hunch" that there was someone else behind OSWALD. He could furnish no facts or basis for this belief.

• 3 years later...

The FBI interviewed Col Lawrence Orlov; on 3-4-1964 FBI SA Raymond Yelchak filed a record of his interview with the Colonel.

About a year ago in October, 1962 a friend of his, GEORGE DEMOHRENSCHILDT, asked him if he would like to meet a young Russian girl at Fort Worth, Texas. They both proceeded to Fort Worth on business and later that same day GEORGE took him to meet MARINA OSWALD. They spent a few minutes in conversation with MARINA and were interrupted by LEE HARVEY OSWALD's return from work. OSWALD seemed to be a genial sort of person. The conversation was held in the Russian language however ORLOV however ORLOV does not believe the conversation was of any consequence. He stated GEORGE informed him that MARINA was in great fear of her husband and he [GEORGE] was attempting to help them get settled. ORLOV indicated that a few months later GEORGE casually mentioned that he and some others [he did not mention any names] were talking about arranging to get a divorce for MARINA OSWALD in view of the mistreatment she was receiving from her husband. GEORGE gave no indication that the OSWALDS were aware of this. ORLOV stated he had no other information in regards to the OSWALDS.

Col. ORLOV believes GEORGE DEMOHRENSCHILDT and his wife, JEANNE left for Haiti in early 1963 and he has since communicated with GEORGE. GEORGE in one of his letters, expressed the belief that LEE OSWALD was much too intelligent a man to have assassinated President KENNEDY and it is his "hunch" that there was someone else behind OSWALD. He could furnish no facts or basis for this belief.

The mystery of who was Col Lawrence Orlov, has been solved.....

Paper: Patriot-News, The (Harrisburg, PA)

Deceased: Lawrence Orlov

Date: September 22, 1989

CARLISLE - Lawrence Orlov, 90, formerly of Dallas, died yesterday in Forest Park Nursing Center.

He was a member of the Unitarian Church, a retired oil and gas operator, a veteran of World Wars I and II and a Mason.

Surviving are a son, William S. of Carlisle, and two grandchildren.

Services will be held at the convenience of the family.

The Neill Funeral Home, Camp Hill, is handling arrangements.

Section: OBITUARIES

Page: B2

Column: OBITUARIES

Copyright, 1989, The Patriot-News Co. All Rights Reserved. Used with permission.

according to the LSU Archives for 1954 William S. Orlov, is listed as a member of Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity. Colonel Lawrence Orlov was a very close relative, his son in fact.

Edited by Robert Howard

CARLISLE - Lawrence Orlov, 90, formerly of Dallas, died yesterday in Forest Park Nursing Center.

He was a member of the Unitarian Church, a retired oil and gas operator, a veteran of World Wars I and II and a Mason.

Copyright, 1989, The Patriot-News Co. All Rights Reserved. Used with permission.

according to the LSU Archives for 1954 William S. Orlov, is listed as a member of Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity. Colonel Lawrence Orlov was a very close relative, his son in fact.

Thanks Robert.

A member of the Unitarian Church? Then there is a reasonable chance he knew Michael Paine.

Thanks Robert.

A member of the Unitarian Church? Then there is a reasonable chance he knew Michael Paine.

Thanks Greg, with the exception of yourself, I am starting to wonder, based on the singularly sparse response to the info, how many forum members, even know who Colonel Lawrence Orlov, was; and you know, thats really sad.

• 7 months later...
Guest Tom Scully

A 1961 Time mag. article on the government financed project to renew Wink, TX (Winkler county) states that oil booms occurred there in 1926 and again in mid 1930's.

Information I recently posted at this link,

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4555&view=findpost&p=221164

...describes a business formed in Wink, TX in 1927 by Sam Weiner and Col. Lawrence Orlov called Westerly Supply Co.

The 1930 US Census shows Orlov living in Wink.

Can anyone help make this more clear? I cannot determine if Swanson and Orlov were associated with Ridgway Petroleum or with Steel Oil Derrick Co., or if they were simply listed as a separate partnership under their own names.:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&ds=bo&sugexp=ldymls&pq=orlov%20fg%20swanson&xhr=t&q=1935+jr.+lucas+st+orlov+swanson&cp=5&qe=MTkzNSBqci4gbHVjYXMgc3Qgb3Jsb3Ygc3dhbnNvbg&qesig=prEH9VNjiBNhn37z6eyL1A&pkc=AFgZ2tlnMVWKTWqIl_HKWF9aF-emqMwwqn3d_ocj49xnZp7tbkGm9RwUslrbCzEGe4L--XWBxgB_sxAVWoGnnbCyq_54jRWs0Q&pf=p&sclient=psy&safe=off&tbs=bks:1&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=1935+jr.+lucas+st+orlov+swanson&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=fdd35f689f495207

Daily bulletin of the Manufacturers record: Volume 74

1935 - Snippet view

Jr.. Lucas St. Tex., Fort Worth — Ridgway Petroleum Corp.. Lawrence Orlov, FG Swanson. Tex., Houston— Steel Oil Derrick Co. of Texas. MC Morris, 1011 Elmen. Tex., Gladewater — Grant Drilling Co.. HS (Jrant; CA Lee.

FG Swanson was a Tyler, TX attorney who successfully ran for a seat in the Texas legislature in the 1940's....

Also, there is info attributed to Bruce Campbell Adams describing Orlov as "J. Walton Moore's handball partner". If true, this connection meshes with:

I have posted this information before so my apologies to those who have already read it, but it shows a circle of interesting associations.

Orlov was a member of the Dallas YMCA and a competition volleyball player. One of Orlov's team mates was a guy by the name of Jim Iles who had connections to the oil industry and was also allegedly associated with Jack Ruby, both men working out at the YMCA.

Orlov also had listed as a personal reference an independent oil man named Jake Hamon who along with H.L. Hunt was on the advisory committee of the National Petroleum Council.

Hamon was certainly a mover and shaker. He did business with and moved in the social circle which included D.H. Byrd, Earl and Charles Cabell, Leo Corrigan, James Ling, Jack Crichton and George H.W. Bush.

It's certainly a small world.

James

Edited by Tom Scully

• 2 years later...
Guest Tom Scully

Orlov's son William's resume on the occasion of receiving a tribute in 2010:

Lansing resident inducted into LSU Military Hall of Fame |...

‎Basehor Sentinel - Nov 15, 2010

William S. “BillOrlov, center, receives congratulations from retired Army Reserve....

http://files.usgwarchives.net/la/rapides/obits/obN-2000.txt

NACHMAN, MARY ANNA LISSO

Alexandria Town Talk, 23 Jun 2000.

Services in the chapel of Hixson Brothers, Alexandria, burial and

graveside services in Natchitoches Jewish Cemetery; aged 92, of

Alexandria died at 12:45 a.m. Wednesday, June 21, 2000, in her

residence. In honor of her 90th birthday, the Mary Anna Nachman

Excellence in Teaching Award was established at J.B. Nachman

Elementary School.

Survivors: sons, Lisso Nachman, M.D., of Alexandria and Leonard R.

Nachman of Baton Rouge; daughter, Ann Raphael N. Finkelstein of

Houston, Texas; 8 grandchildren; 3 great-grandchildren.

Pallbearers: Jack T. Cappel Jr., M.D., McGinty McBride Jr., M.D.,

Leonard Randall Nachman III, V. Thomas Clark Jr., Steven C. Smith,

Thomas R. Elkins, Michael M. Wahlder, Col.

William Orlov, Bernard E. Patty III, M.D., James L. Buchanan and

John Knapp.

Lawrence Orlov's father-in-law, who was dead for more than a decade before Orlov married in the 1930's:

http://files.usgwarc...ios/nachman.txt

....and is a son of W. B. and Flora (Lehman) Nachman, natives respectively of Baton Rouge,

Louisiana, and Galveston, Texas. They resided for a number of years at Galveston,

but in 1900 settled at Alexandria, where Mr. Nachman was connected with the Standard Oil

Company for eighteen years, and died in 1922.....

.....He was a member of the Jewish Synagogue, as is Mrs. Nachman, who survives him. They became the parents of three children: L. R., a West Point graduate, now in the Limited States Army with the rank of lieutenant, stationed at San Antonio, Texas; Julius Benjamin; and Amy, who makes her home with her mother and is unmarried.

A History of Louisiana, (vol. 2), p. 329, by Henry E. Chambers. Published by The

American Historical Society, Inc., Chicago and New York, 1925.

U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989 Name: Ame E Nachman Residence:

1934 - Alexandria, Louisiana, USA

1940 United States Federal Census about Flora Nachman

Household Members: Name Age Flora Nachman 64 Lawrence Orlov 35 Ami Orlov 31 William San Orlov 4

http://www.findagrav...9933945&df=all Feb. 9, 1907 - Oct. 8, 1979

Amenachman Orlov

http://www.findagrav...8938388&df=all

Orlov, Lawrence 68938388

b. Jun. 26, 1899 d. Sep. 20, 1989

A concern I am currently having is that the 1940 census record indicates Lawrence Orlov was born in Massachusetts in 1905.

I am unable to find any record, census or otherwise, verifying this.

There is a man with a Massachusetts 1942 death certificate of a son, John, age 1 year.

Myer Laurence ORLOV

• Birth: 25 Jun 1901 - Middlesex, USA
  • Marriage: 1921
  • Death: 24 Mar 1989 - Jamaica Plain, Suffolk, Massachusetts, USA
  • Parents: George I Orlovsky, Mary Cohen
  • Spouse: Bessie "Beverly" Kantor

With no verification of an Orlov born in Massachusetts on 26 June, 1899, I have to wonder......

Lawrence Orlov was operations office of the 330th Bomb Group:

The 330th Bomb Group - RootsWeb - Ancestry.com

www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ny330bg/458personnel.htm

Jan 19, 2006 – The 330th Bomb Group of the 314th Bomb Wing, a website dedicated to the ... 0-423947. Operations/GP. MAJ. Lawrence. Orlov. 0-485999. A/C

http://b-29.org/314B...din/rodin1.html

....we were told that after debriefing Major Orlov wanted to talk to the crews of the 458th.

Major Orlov was the Group Executive Officer, an administrative assignment. He stressed that the most serious crime in the military was STEALING. Yes, he mentioned the theft of CHICKEN and accused some of the crews as the guilty ones. Obviously there was NO proof who stole the CHICKEN. THE FACT THAT EVERY FLIGHT SUIT HAD HUGE GREASY CHICKEN STAINS BY EVERY POCKET LOCATION could not be presented as evidence.....

Edited by Tom Scully

Guest Tom Scully

I have sorted out the names and some background of Lawrence aka J Lawrence Orlov's immediate family.

One challenge to tracking these details done was the problem of the same Orlov family members being described

by three other surnames; Arlofsky, Orlofsky, and Orlovsky.

Col. Orlov's father was described as a rabbi and was born in St. Petersburg, Russia in 1851 and died in 1906.

It appears he was married twice and that Col. Orlov was the youngest child and was the only child of nine

(six male and three female) who was born in the U.S. I cannot determine which of the siblings are half brothers

and sisters except by assuming the several oldest are children of the first wife.

Myer Laurence Orlov described in my last post turned out to be Col. Orlov's nephew who was born just two

years after the year of Col. Orlov's birth described in his obit. Col. Orlov was 25 years younger than his oldest

siblings resulting in the possibility of several of his nieces and nephews being older than he was. He had a

number of nieces and nephews only slightly younger than he was.

Col. Orlov left Massachusetts for Oklahoma about 1919. In 1921 his name appears in the Wichita Falls, TX directory

as "J. Lawrence Orlov."

Often I put research results in posts in real time, using the posts to compile, store, and present (share) what

I've found through a single process. I did not take the critical response I have been getting, too seriously because

I took into account the sources of this repetitive criticism.

I've given up on the idea that sharing almost everything, on the fly, will attract collaboration. It is as if there is a

push back against the presentation of anything newly discovered, and it is not confined to the constant critics.

I covered the problem briefly a few months ago when I pointed out that John's Spartacus pages have increased

to more than 11,000 and I asked if there was a method in place to edit new information that has been posted on

the Education Forum, into them. Maybe some members will volunteer to do some of that. John asked for emailed

edit suggestions and he also posted a designated thread to post the edit suggestions that were emailed to him.

In this anniversary year, the more new details discovered and shared, the better. I have not had time to update my

own site with the Priscilla Johnson related research I have been posting recently.

If anyone is interested in the names and the texts of the obits, census, and city directory info I've found that supports

my descriptions of Col. Orlov's family earlier in this post, please send me a PM request. Ignore the advisory that my PM

box is full. I will receive your PM requests.

Surviving are a son, William S. of Carlisle, and two grandchildren. Services will be held at the convenience of the family.

Mason and Unitarian? Seems a little offbeat....

• 4 years later...
On 7/15/2010 at 5:59 AM, Greg Parker said:

Thanks Robert.

I think there is a very good possibility that Orlov knew the Paines.

From the WC testimony of George DeMohrenschildt:

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/russ/testimony/demohr_g.htm

Mr. De MOHRENSCHILDT. No, no; still active. I think it was in 1952--because I was not married---we still had the partnership. I was visiting Ed Hooker in New York at that particular time, and through him I met my next wife, my last wife.
Mr. JENNER. All right. Now, who was she?
Mr. De MOHRENSCHILDT. Wynne Sharples.

Mr. JENNER. Tell me about the Sharples family.
Mr. De MOHRENSCHILDT. The Sharples family is from Philadelphia, Philadelphia Quakers. He is in the centrifugal processing business and also in the oil business.

Mr. JENNER. Was the Sharples family wealthy?
Mr. De MOHRENSCHILDT. Very wealthy.
Mr. JENNER. Socially prominent?
Mr. De MOHRENSCHILDT. Socially prominent. But not too interested in society, because they are Quakers, you know. But my wife is interested.
Mr. De MOHRENSCHILDT. We got married, I think, after her graduation immediately in the Unitarian Church in Chestnut Hills.

Steve Thomas