The Education Forum

And We Are All Mortal?

Steve Thomas

Does anyone on the Forum own the book, "And We Are All Mortal" by George Michael Evica?

If you do, does it have an index?

Is there an index listing for Minutemen?

If so, can you find a reference for the Mintemen and cuban exiles signing some sort of pact or agreement?

Does this say that an article can be found in the August 1, 1963 issue of the New York Times relating to this agreement?

I read the book not too long ago, but Evica did not provide a footnote on this. I want to make sure I got the citation right before I go looking for the 8/1/63 issue of the NYT.

Steve Thomas

Does anyone on the Forum own the book, "And We Are All Mortal" by George Michael Evica?

If you do, does it have an index?

Is there an index listing for Minutemen?

If so, can you find a reference for the Mintemen and cuban exiles signing some sort of pact or agreement?

Steve,

Evica's book has a name index only.

Page 287:

Arrested with Sam Benton, among others were (1) Acelo Pedro Amores...and (2)Richard Lauchli, Jr., a founder of the Minutemen. Lauchli manufactured weapons in Collinsville, Illinois, and in 1964 was arrested by Treasury agents for violating Federal firearms laws with Cuban exiles and mercenaries linked to the Caribbean complex. Cubela's friend "A" - like all the other Cuban exiles involved - was connected to a Lake Ponchartrain training camp and arsenal run by CIA-associated Syndicate, Caribbean, and Minuteman figures.

He cites a story in the Washington Post dated August 1, 1963 and The Assassination Chain by Leek and Sugar. Leek's book has about 10 pages of detailed info on the Minutemen in Chapter 9, entitled The Right-Wing Extremist Scenario.

I did not read anything about a pact or agreement being signed.

Edited by Michael Hogan

Michael,

Page 287:

Arrested with Sam Benton, among others were (1) Acelo Pedro Amores...and (2)Richard Lauchli, Jr., a founder of the Minutemen. Lauchli manufactured weapons in Collinsville, Illinois, and in 1964 was arrested by Treasurey agents for violating Federal firearms laws with Cuban exiles and mercenaries linked to the Caribbean complex. Cubela's friend "A" - like all the other Cuban exiles involved - was connected to a Lake Ponchartrain training camp and arsenal run by CIA-associated Syndicate, Caribbean, and Minuteman figures.

He cites a story in the Washington Post dated August 1, 1963 and The Assassination Chain by Leek and Sugar. Leek's book has about 10 pages of detailed info on the Minutemen in Chapter 9, entitled The Right-Wing Extremist Scenario.

Thank you

Steve Thomas

Michael,

Evica's book has a name index only.

Page 287:

Could you look on page 103?

Thanks,

Steve Thomas

From And We Are All Mortal

Page 103

On August 1st, 1963, The New York Times reported anti-Castro Cuban exiles had formed an alliance with members of the right-wing Minutemen organization. For a time, this illegal arms-Minutemen-anti-Castro Cuban exile story was known only from an internal memorandum Commission counsel Griffin had sent to J. Lee Rankin dated April 16th, 1964. Griffin, together with Commission counsel Hubert, had been attempting to follow up a series of leads, rumors, facts, speculations, and suspicions: that links might be established between Oswald and Ruby, if only indirectly; and that Ruby's associations with organized crime might reveal evidence of conspiracy (see, for example, the Hubert-Griffin internal memo of March 20th, 1964). So the Hubert-Griffin memoranda were filled with frustratingly-unexplored leads: the two Commission lawyers were eventually to characterize their own attempt at a Ruby investigation as "inadequate." And here was one more unexplored lead which counsel Griffin reported: in late 1963, United States Treasury agents had arrested a Dallas gunsmith - a member of the Minutemen - for illegally supplying Cuban exiles with firearms.

Sorry I missed this the first time, Steve.

Michael,

Page 103

On August 1st, 1963, The New York Times reported anti-Castro Cuban exiles had formed an alliance with members of the right-wing Minutemen organization. For a time, this illegal arms-Minutemen-anti-Castro Cuban exile story was known only from an internal memorandum Commission counsel Griffin had sent to J. Lee Rankin dated April 16th, 1964. Griffin, together with Commission counsel Hubert, had been attempting to follow up a series of leads, rumors, facts, speculations, and suspicions: that links might be established between Oswald and Ruby, if only indirectly; and that Ruby's associations with organized crime might reveal evidence of conspiracy (see, for example, the Hubert-Griffin internal memo of March 20th, 1964). So the Hubert-Griffin memoranda were filled with frustratingly-unexplored leads: the two Commission lawyers were eventually to characterize their own attempt at a Ruby investigation as "inadequate." And here was one more unexplored lead which counsel Griffin reported: in late 1963, United States Treasury agents had arrested a Dallas gunsmith - a member of the Minutemen - for illegally supplying Cuban exiles with firearms.

Thank you very much. It's been a frustrating couple of days because an online database search of the New York Times has failed to produce the article that Evica cites and I haven't been able to find the Griffin to Rankin memo he talks about.

On July 31, 1963 a cuban exile training camp at Lake Ponchatrain, LA is raided by the FBI. Many arms and dynamite are seized. The supplier was Richard Lauchuli, co-founder of the Minutemen.

In October, 1963, DRE leader, Manuel Salvat travels from Miami to Dallas on a fund rasing tour. While there, he recruits Fermin de Goicochea Sanchez, aka George Perrel to be his heavy weapons purchaser.

On January 16, 1964 ATF Agent, Frank Ellsworth is interviewed by the FBI about John Thomas Masen, also a member of the Minutemen.

Masen told Ellsworth that Orcarberro had been trying to buy guns and bazookas from Masen.

Masen told Ellsworth that Rodriguez and George F. Parrel were leaders of the local DRE and also members of Alpha-66

Masen told Ellsworth that George Parrel, an associate of Orcarberro, had also been trying to buy guns from him.

They had made purchases from him and that they presently have a large cache of arms located somewhere in Dallas, although he did not know the location.

Thomas Arthur Vallee was a member of the John Birch Society.

Joseph Milteer was a member of just about every right wing organization that came along.

Steve Thomas