The Education Forum

Request for advice for parents of blind child emigrating to Spain

I have been asked to help a local special needs centre find out information and advice for a family planning to emigrate to Spain. The family has a totally blind 4 year old child who has been receiving full-time support in a mainstream nursery. Has anyone on the forum had experience of helping a family with this kind of advice or does anyone have experience of the kind of support a child might entitled to in a pre-school situation in Spain?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Penny

Hi, Penny. I'm afraid I don't know of any school in Madrid that offers the sort of assistance you're talking about in English. There may be something available in Spanish, but I don't know how you'd go about finding out. Probably the best bet would be to contact the Study Center Foundation which is, as far as I know, the only provider of special ed in English in Madrid. They're really good people and would be happy to help you with your research, I'm sure.

Study Center Foundation

Valentin Robledo, 2

Pozuelo de Alarcon

28224 Madrid

Tel. 917-155-138

Most of the international, English-medium schools are relatively small and have very, very limited provisions for special needs of any sort at all...

Edited by mike tribe