The Education Forum

Why Would Oswald Have Hidden the Gun?

I thought members might be interested in reading this article?

http://www.swnewsherald.com/online_content...hor_kennedy.php

By JACOB G. HORNBERGER

More observations on the great book I just finished reading on the Kennedy assassination — Breach of Trust: How the Warren Commission Failed the Nation and Why by Gerald D. McKnight, which I blogged about on Wednesday and Thursday.

One of the most amazing aspects of both the FBI and the Warren Commission, which McKnight carefully documents and footnotes, is how both groups immediately reached the conclusion that Oswald was the lone assassin and then proceeded to simply suppress, ignore, or disregard evidence to the contrary.

For example, the FBI concluded that 2 shots hit Kennedy and 1 shot hit Connally, for a total of 3 shots. When the media reported that a bystander named James Tague also got hit by a bullet, the FBI simply ignored it because 4 shots would have meant more than one shooter.

The Warren Commission, however, decided that it had to deal with the Tague shooting, which is how it ended up with the “magic-bullet” theory. Realizing that 4 bullets would have meant more than one shooter, the commission decided that one bullet hit Tague and one bullet hit Kennedy in the head and that the third bullet went through both Kennedy and Connally, causing 7 different wounds, including cracking Connally’s ribs and going through his wrist bone, and ending up going into his thigh.

While most everyone is familiar with the controversy surrounding the route of the magic bullet, McKnight focuses on the near-pristine nature of the bullet and points out that the wrist bone is one of the hardest bones in the body. Thus, the chance that a bullet could crack ribs and go through the wrist and remain fairly unscathed is minimal. And in fact, Warren Commission experts performed many tests in which bullets were fired into the wrists of cadavers. Unlike the Kennedy bullet, the bullets fired in the tests were clearly deformed or flattened. So, guess what the Warren Commission did. You guessed it: It simply suppressed the results of the tests because they didn’t fit within the preconceived conclusion that only 3 shots were fired.

There are two conspiracy theories with respect to Oswald: (1) He shot Kennedy as part of a conspiracy, and (2) He was an innocent person who was set up to take the fall, so as to distract attention away from the real conspirators. After he was arrested, Oswald himself claimed to be a “patsy” and, according to McKnight, Oswald told investigators that he had been on the first floor of the School Book Depository building, not the sixth floor, when the assassination took place.

In support of Oswald’s claim, McKnight cites the statements of two separate women who said that they entered the stairwell within a minute of the assassination and never saw Oswald coming down the stairs. Their testimony wasn’t taken seriously by the Warren Commission.

Another interesting point that McKnight points out is that Oswald’s rifle was very carefully hidden in the 6th-floor room where the assassination purportedly took place. It was lodged between two boxes with another box on top, which made it difficult for searchers to find it. Now, ask yourself: Why in the world would Oswald have taken the time to carefully hide the gun before he made his escape. After all, it’s not as if the gun would never be found, especially given that there were 3 spent cartridges in plain sight on the floor and it was certain that the entire room would eventually be searched. Wouldn’t a rapid escape, not hiding the gun in the same room as the shooting, be the sole concern of an assassin?

So, if Oswald had lived, continued to claim his innocence, and gone to trial, wouldn’t his defense attorney have argued that the hidden gun would be much more consistent with a set-up, one in which someone had previously hidden the gun in the room to ensure that no one discovered it before the shooting? And wouldn’t he also have argued that the near-pristine bullet had been planted on Connally’s stretcher after having been fired into, say, a stack of cotton from the planted gun rather than into Kennedy’s back and Connolly’s back, ribs, wrist, and thigh.

Unfortunately, these types of questions linger because both the FBI and the Warren Commission were fixated on their lone-nut assassin theory and refused to consider any other alternatives, as McKnight so carefully documents in his excellent book.

By JACOB G. HORNBERGER

More observations on the great book I just finished reading on the Kennedy assassination — Breach of Trust: How the Warren Commission Failed the Nation and Why by Gerald D. McKnight, which I blogged about on Wednesday and Thursday.

One of the most amazing aspects of both the FBI and the Warren Commission, which McKnight carefully documents and footnotes, is how both groups immediately reached the conclusion that Oswald was the lone assassin and then proceeded to simply suppress, ignore, or disregard evidence to the contrary....

....Unfortunately, these types of questions linger because both the FBI and the Warren Commission were fixated on their lone-nut assassin theory and refused to consider any other alternatives, as McKnight so carefully documents in his excellent book.

Allen Dulles: "Americans don't read."

By and large, we've proven him right.

By JACOB G. HORNBERGER

One of the most amazing aspects of both the FBI and the Warren Commission, which McKnight carefully documents and footnotes, is how both groups immediately reached the conclusion that Oswald was the lone assassin and then proceeded to simply suppress, ignore, or disregard evidence to the contrary....

....Unfortunately, these types of questions linger because both the FBI and the Warren Commission were fixated on their lone-nut assassin theory and refused to consider any other alternatives, as McKnight so carefully documents in his excellent book.

Allen Dulles: "Americans don't read."

By and large, we've proven him right.

no reason for the owner of the gun to hide, but some one not connected with it would want to hide it long enough to get off the 6th floor w/o being caught.

Edited by Evan Marshall

Guest Mark Valenti
Another interesting point that McKnight points out is that Oswald’s rifle was very carefully hidden in the 6th-floor room where the assassination purportedly took place. It was lodged between two boxes with another box on top, which made it difficult for searchers to find it.

This depends on whether you characterize the rifle as being "very carefully hidden" or simply hidden. The former implies taking extra time, thought and effort. The latter suggests a random act. McKnight wasn't there so he doesn't actually know. It could have been either.

Searchers had a hard time finding the rifle because they didn't know where to look.

If I fired a rifle from that window, the last thing I would want to do is leave the building holding that very rifle. I would place it in a location that was not obvious, and hiding it between boxes is a good choice.

Why would Oswald hide the gun? If he fired a shot or shots, he hid the gun because he couldn't escape otherwise. I don't see anything mysterious about it.

Another interesting point that McKnight points out is that Oswald’s rifle was very carefully hidden in the 6th-floor room where the assassination purportedly took place. It was lodged between two boxes with another box on top, which made it difficult for searchers to find it.

This depends on whether you characterize the rifle as being "very carefully hidden" or simply hidden. The former implies taking extra time, thought and effort. The latter suggests a random act. McKnight wasn't there so he doesn't actually know. It could have been either.

Searchers had a hard time finding the rifle because they didn't know where to look.

If I fired a rifle from that window, the last thing I would want to do is leave the building holding that very rifle. I would place it in a location that was not obvious, and hiding it between boxes is a good choice.

Why would Oswald hide the gun? If he fired a shot or shots, he hid the gun because he couldn't escape otherwise. I don't see anything mysterious about it.

you weren't there either, nor was I.... what we DO know for sure is, they found the rifle not long before they found Oswald. That being the case, any masterful preparation by Oswald in sniper/killer deception tactics, failed miserably.

Guest Mark Valenti
you weren't there either, nor was I.... what we DO know for sure is, they found the rifle not long before they found Oswald. That being the case, any masterful preparation by Oswald in sniper/killer deception tactics, failed miserably.

Of course neither you nor I nor anyone else had to be there to know that McKnight's description of how the rifle was hidden is potentially melodramatic.

McKnight says Oswald's main goal, post-shooting, would have been to hide the gun. I believe a fair reading of the situation is that an equally important or even superior goal would be to escape.

I agree that if Oswald was the sixth-floor shooter, his deception tactics failed miserably. However, if he was the shooter, his sniper/killer tactics were pretty amazing.

thank you for that...wow.... this is why they are called searchers and not finders....

they sure did know where to look when they were changing their minds as to whether or not it was a Mauser an MC. they obviously didn't see anyone traipsing out of the tsbd with a rifle so......um...yeah they were directed to look on the fifth and sixth floors....

And this is relevant how? WHO WOULD WANT TO WALK OUT OF A BUILDING HOLDING A RIFLE????? again, wow... your powers of perception here are just....baffling... i wouldn't want to walk out of that building holding a rifle either.. you and i are alike in that way. i suspect 99% of the known universe wouldn't want to walk out of there with a rifle either....

i'm sorry, but this post of yours is inane....

he hid the gun because.....he couldn't escape otherwise? who on gods green earth would attempt to try and walk around with a loaded rifle after the presidents car just sped off after being fired upon?

"oh, well i better hide this rifle...darn i just paid it off too....."

i don't think these are things that people think about when fleeing a scene.." oh i better make sure the dishes are done and the laundry is folded and.......

too much of a luxury.

i'm sorry...i don't know why this comment of yours bothers me so much...maybe its the double negative/self erasing statements.. i dunno...

Guest Mark Valenti

i'm sorry...i don't know why this comment of yours bothers me so much...

Mr. Dobson (Or is it Ms? Not sure from your glaring headshot).

Dunno why you're so hot and bothered either - obviously you felt an intense need to unleash a hissy fit.

I guess I should be honored - you don't seem to have posted for almost a year, only to log on and offer - what? Bitchy angst?

Way to add something meaningful. Rock on.

i'm sorry...i don't know why this comment of yours bothers me so much...

Mr. Dobson (Or is it Ms? Not sure from your glaring headshot).

Dunno why you're so hot and bothered either - obviously you felt an intense need to unleash a hissy fit.

I guess I should be honored - you don't seem to have posted for almost a year, only to log on and offer - what? Bitchy angst?

Way to add something meaningful. Rock on.

likewise. soorry you can't seem to see how idiotic the lack of logic in your post looks....

what my headshot has to do with anything i don't know. why don't you call me old and fat while you are being a child...

and as far as how much i post or don't post? well some of us have lives...there was no angst.. your post just made you look foolish and i wondered why that bothered me..i normally don't care... much like now...

i know what bothered me about your post. you are a fool..

see you next year with a new glaring headshot..

• 10 years later...
On 5/5/2007 at 2:10 AM, John Simkin said:

By JACOB G. HORNBERGER

Another interesting point that Gerald McKnight points out is that Oswald’s rifle was very carefully hidden in the 6th-floor room where the assassination purportedly took place. It was lodged between two boxes with another box on top, which made it difficult for searchers to find it. Now, ask yourself: Why in the world would Oswald have taken the time to carefully hide the gun before he made his escape? After all, it’s not as if the gun would never be found, especially given that there were 3 spent cartridges in plain sight on the floor and it was certain that the entire room would eventually be searched. Wouldn’t a rapid escape, not hiding the gun in the same room as the shooting, be the sole concern of an assassin?

Emphasis added by T.G.

Excellent point.  Which more or less proves it was a Ruskie "throw down," nyet?

(LOL)

--  Tommy  :sun

17 hours ago, Thomas Graves said:

Excellent point.  Which more or less proves it was a Ruskie "throw down," nyet?

(LOL)

Tommy, Ozzie never hid no gun cause he never bought no gun.  Since he never bought no gun he never shot no gun some tried to say he bought.  He was out front with Shelly when it all went down.  Since he was out front, never bought no gun, never shot no gun, he never hid no gun.  Comprende?  Capisce?

8 hours ago, Ron Bulman said:

Tommy, Ozzie never hid no gun cause he never bought no gun.  Since he never bought no gun he never shot no gun some tried to say he bought.  He was out front with Shelly when it all went down.  Since he was out front, never bought no gun, never shot no gun, he never hid no gun.  Comprende?  Capisce?

Ron,

With all due respect, relax, dude.

Take some deep breaths. (In through the nose, out through the mouth ... )

Who's to say that Oswald was even ON the sixth floor during the assassination?

For all I know, Igor Vaganov might have been up there, eatin' fried chicken.

(lol)

Edited by Thomas Graves

There was no reason for LHO to hide his rifle -- so he didn't.   However, he DID tell Marina Oswald on the night of the Walker shooting that he hid his rifle.  (NOTE: The Russian word for "buried" also means, "hid.")

Yet LHO was accustomed to lying to Marina Oswald.   Another lie that LHO told her was that he was alone.   He was not alone.

Another lie that LHO told her was that he was on foot.   He was not on foot.

Another lie that LHO told her was that he also took the bus.   He took no bus. 

LHO had accomplices who had cars and other rifles.   Insofar as LHO 

tooka rifle, then he left it in his accomplices' car for the night.

He 

Simple enough, in my reading.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

20 minutes ago, Paul Trejo said:

There was no reason for LHO to hide his rifle -- so he didn't.   However, he DID tell Marina Oswald on the night of the Walker shooting that he hid his rifle.  (NOTE: The Russian word for "buried" also means, "hid.")

Yet LHO was accustomed to lying to Marina Oswald.   Another that LHO he told her was that he was alone.   He was not alone.

Another that LHO he told her was that he was on foot.   He was not on foot.

Another that LHO he told her was that he also took the bus.   He took no bus. 

LHO had accomplices who had cars and other rifles.   Insofar as Oswald took a rifle, then he left it in his accomplices' car for the night.

Simple enough, in my reading.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Paul,

With all due respect, you're on the wrong thread.

On this one, we're speculating whether or not Oswald (if he really did fire the M-C from the sixth floor window on 11/22/63) would have taken the time to hide it among the boxes near the stairwell. 

Why not just leave it in the sniper's lair, near the spent cartridges on the floor?

Edited by Thomas Graves

One of the questions that throws me regards Oswald ( if he was the shooter from the 6th floor ) is how he could leave his rifle anywhere on the 6th floor knowing it would be found within minutes or hours and traced back to him once those who found it had a chance to check it's provenance. 

He must have known that each employee of the TXSBD would be checked out for links to this rifle and it would soon be known the rifle was his.

His only chance at freedom would be to run. To Mexico?

He would have needed help in that regards. He didn't drive himself and he would know the bus systems would be watched and checked thoroughly. His only chance for escape would be for someone else to drive or fly him out of the country. If so, obviously he was left to fend for himself by his betrayal buddies.

And then there are Oswald's backyard gun toting photos. Some of the most guilt incriminating pieces of evidence we've ever seen in a high profile murder case. So incriminating you are forced to wonder why he would take these and days before 11,22,1963 not make some effort to retrieve these from his belongings and from George DeM.

Was LHO simply that deficient in planning forethought?  Was his whole plan including escape that loose and impulsively amateurish?

In my opinion Oswald seemed too intelligent to be that incompetent. He was either betrayed by his fellow conspirators or he wasn't the shooter on the  sixth floor.