The Education Forum

SS man told to stand down

I posted this on jfklancer but received no replies. I was recently watching the Men Who Killed Kennedy which I often do to give a more human side than just gorging on books when I noticed a very short clip of film showing another secret serviceman being told to stop running alongside the limo, the footage is in colour and I think it was taken on main street, if it is not main street it is whatever street that was heavily covered in flags and was very colourful. Was this known of before? There is already footage of an SS man at the airport. It was in the episode 'The Cover-up' I'm afriad I have no way of transferring it onto my PC.

deleted for space

Edited by Tim Carroll

John, Tim

The Secret Service was and is under the control of the Treasury Department.

The Secretary of the Treasury at this time was Republican C.D.Dillon, a notorious

Wall Street intriguer with Dillon Read and Co. This line of authority helps to

shed light on the lack of protection, no running boards, slow detour, etc.

These events set the stage for the actual ambush and show a degree of

incompetence correllating with sponsorship before the fact.

Shanet Clark

United States Senate/William Randolph Hearst Scholar and Woodruff Fellow

(Tim-the film shows a Secret Service agent apparently unable to

mount his usual running boards, shrugging and dropping back, a sad event)

Edited by Shanet Clark

(Tim-the film shows a Secret Service agent apparently unable to

mount his usual running boards, shrugging and dropping back, a sad event)

Shanet,

There were runningboards on the SS vehicle, which the agents would step off in order to run alongside the presidential limo when the crowds were too close. Those runningboards were in place. There were also pull-out running boards on the presidential limo which were not used that day. The first clip shows that Clint Hill was also running when they were ordered back to the SS vehicle ("Halfback"?) by Emory Roberts, but Rybka was suddenly and inexplicably ordered to stay behind. His reaction speaks for itself as to how non-routine this was.

Tim

According to the Secret Service, the decision for the agents not to stand at the side of the presidential limousine came from Kenneth O'Donnell, JFK’s special assistant. It was also O’Donnell who gave instructions that JFK should ride through Dallas in an open-top car. It was also O’Donnell (with the help of LBJ) who decided that JFK should go to Dallas. Some researchers have used this information to suggest O’Donnell was involved in the conspiracy. I think this is nonsense. O’Donnell was keen to use the Dallas trip to gain votes in the presidential elections. He believed that it was very important for the public to see JFK. This was very much the thinking of the JFK team.

O’Donnell is an interesting character. He was probably the most left-wing figure in JFK’s team. He had close links with civil rights and labour leaders. He was also the main figure arguing against involvement in Vietnam. Most interestingly of all, he was the main opponent of LBJ as JFK’s running mate, accusing him of betraying the left-wing of the party. (O’Donnell had been promising his friends that a liberal would be chosen as JFK’s running-mate).

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKodonnell.htm

Tim,

you have the facts, I was just giving my impression.

It appears a SS protection agent drops back because

of tactical orders and the simple physical impossibility of

mounting the presidential limousine.

great clip.

shanet

Kenny O'donnell, no matter what specific call he may have set in place,

was certainly not a co-conspirator in JFK's murder.

He was his closest personal aide, friend and west wing assistant.

by agreeing with jack's desire to be close to the public, and

by unwittingly signing off on TREASURY SECRET SERVICE

suggestions, he may have put the President in danger unconsciously.

He was basically Jack's runner, fixer and advance man.

shanet

Edited by Shanet Clark

I don't understand exactly what SS agent Rybka was trying to do at Love Field (or Clint Hill, for that matter, on the other side) that caused Rybka to be left behind. Was Rybka running beside the limo with the intent of then falling back to get on the running board of the follow-up car (and was ordered to fall back immediately), or was he running with the intent of soon getting onto the rear of the presidential limo as it picked up speed, or was he running with the intent of running beside the limo all the way to the Trade Mart?