The Education Forum

What evidence is there that Lee Harvey Oswald beat Marina?

Sandy Larsen

2 hours ago, Paul Trejo said:

What is your evidence that Oswald left his job at Leslie Welding on October 8th?

30 minutes ago, Jeff Carter said:

Oswald's last day at Leslie Welding was October 8, 1963. This can be verified by the address provided to forward the final cheque: PO Box 2915 in Dallas, which Oswald activated on October 9.

In furtherance to what Jeff has rightly said about the last day being October 8th.

Oswald recieved a total of 13 checks from Leslie Welding - paid weekly. He started on the 17th July and first check 'given' on 21st July and thereafter checks given weekly...

6189 - 21st July
6315 - 28th July
6422 - 4th August
6557 - 11th August
6677 - 18th August
6797 - 25th August
6952 - 1st September
7067 - 8th September
7192 - 15th September
7296 - 22nd September
7419 - 29th September
7511 - 6th October
7619 - 13th October

NB: The last check was only for $9 and change which equates to one day of work that week, which would have been the Monday 8th October.
NBB: Oswald didn't always 'cash' the checks immediately!

Regards

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jeff Carter said:
Mrs Donald Hall (Alexandra Taylor)did not witness physical abuse but overheard gossip. She says she saw Kleinerer confront Oswald - but whether this was because Kleinerer actually saw Oswald slapping Marina or had simply been privy to the same gossip depends, I suppose, on the level of scepticism one applies to his late affidavit.

Jeff,

You don't explain your skepticism for the testimony of Mrs.Donald Gibson.

Why would she lie?  What likely motive would she have?

Actually, why would Kleinlerer lie?

You haven't made this point, IMHO.

Regards 

Paul Trejo 

No one is being accused of lying. These are people trying to recall events some 16-20 months in the past. Alexandra Taylor remembers Kleinerer confronting Oswald. Kleinerer says he never did because he was "afraid" of Oswald. 

Scepticism of Kleinerer's affidavit is warranted because a) no mention of these events to FBI seven months previous. b)Warren Commission did not see fit to take his testimony despite having been told he directly confronted Oswald c) affidavit offered no opportunity for follow up from WC attorneys well-briefed on these issues. It was, as suggested earlier in this thread, an outlier.

Edited by Jeff Carter
spelling

13 hours ago, Jeff Carter said:

No one is being accused of lying. These are people trying to recall events some 16-20 months in the past. Alexandra Taylor remembers Kleinerer confronting Oswald. Kleinerer says he never did because he was "afraid" of Oswald. 

Scepticism of Kleinerer's affidavit is warranted because a) no mention of these events to FBI seven months previous. b)Warren Commission did not see fit to take his testimony despite having been told he directly confronted Oswald c) affidavit offered no opportunity for follow up from WC attorneys well-briefed on these issues. It was, as suggested earlier in this thread, an outlier.

Jeff,

Kleinlerer's affidavit is open to some interpretation.   You say Kleinlerer didn't confront Oswald, but Mrs. Donald Gibson, who was present, said that he did -- and that she was afraid there was going to be a fight.

Kleinlerer only said that he didn't fight Oswald -- not that he didn't confront him.   So, we really have an agreement between Kleinlerer and Gibson.

There was no fight.  And Kleinlerer said he was afraid of fighting Oswald.   Yet Kleinlerer did confront him -- that is, he did verbally object to being shown this seamy side of Oswald -- this public display of masculine dominance over a woman with a baby in her arms.

No skepticism of Kleinlerer's affidavit is warranted.   The FBI probably sought him out, not the reverse.   The WC was under no obligation or pressure to take his testimony, since Kleinlerer had nothing to say about the JFK assassination.  This says nothing about the worth of his affidavit.  It was not an outlier -- it was simply irrelevant to the JFK murder, which was the substance of the WC mission.

Kleinlerer told the truth.  Mrs. Gibson told the truth.  The tendency to dismiss Kleinlerer is motivated by a separate bias, namely, the effort to deny -- despite overwhelming evidence -- that Lee Oswald beat Marina Oswald during a four-month period in 1962.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Is there is a point in his affidavit at which Kleinerer says he confronted Oswald about his behavior toward Marina? If so, then Trejo should indicate it.  I don't see it.  In fact he says the opposite, that he did not argue with Oswald.  Therefore, what is Gibson corroborating?

Funny that PT ignores the other facts in the affidavit:  1.) He confirms the serious abscess problem Marina had 2.) Confirms the October 8 termination date at the welding company, 3.) Is puzzled at how LHO got out of Russia with his new wife so easily.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Paul T  - “The FBI probably sought him out, not the reverse.   The WC was under no obligation or pressure to take his testimony, since Kleinlerer had nothing to say about the JFK assassination.”

Let’s be clear what’s in the record.

Kleinerer first appears in a Secret Service memorandum dated Nov 27, 1963 (CD87, p223). This document describes items found in Oswald’s possession. A piece of paper found with Kleinerer’s import-export business address and phone numbers. Next to that listing it says: “This will also be run out by the Dallas office.”

FBI memorandum dated December 3, 1963 (CD7, p104) interview with Kleinlerer (sic). “KLEINLERER stated that at this time when OSWALD came to move his wife, he slapped her in the face and caused her to go into another room crying.”  

FBI memorandum dated December 24, 1963 (CD223, p396) interview with Kleinlerer (sic) Kleinerer is asked if he knew of any association between Oswald and Ruby. No knowledge.

FBI memorandum dated December 27, 1963 (FBI 105-82555 OswaldHQ File, Section 84 p108) details interview of Kleinerer from Dec19. Interview limited to the stationary page with letterhead found with Oswald’s possessions and Kleinerer’s business interests, along with brief description of Oswalds and Elena Hall. (this memorandum also placed in Oswald’s 201 file)

FBI memorandum dated February 21, 1964 (CD693, p91) interview with Gary Lawler regarding a Jack Bowen. Lawler  formerly employed at Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall, as was Bowen, and remembers Oswald. Bowen left JCS to get into import-export business. “He said he never heard JACK BOWEN mention Texas Import-Export Company and never heard of or knew a person whose name is ALEXANDER KLEINLERER.(sic).” Lawler is also asked about Ruby. 

So there was a previous mention by Kleinerer of slapping incident before affidavit, record corrected. Still - LHO chronic wife-beater all comes down to one witnessed incident, one direct eyewitness. Alexandra and Gary Taylor were also at the Hall home on that occasion, but neither saw this incident.

What is curious about the FBI is the chronic mis-spelling of Kleinerer’s name - “Kleinlerer”. Misspelled in every memo except Dec27, all exactly same mistake, made by different agents. They also seem to be running something out related to Ruby and import-export businesses. Also interesting Dec 3 memo - Kleinerer describes his “very good” friendship with Max Clark, and that he spoke with Clark about Oswald before Oswald first arrived in Fort Worth.

The name JACK BOWEN (see FBI February 21 memo in last post) appearing with some kind of link to Kleinerer, real or just running out leads, is certainly curious. An article by Mike Sylwester is titled “The Name ‘John (Jack) Bowen’ in the Kennedy Assassination”, and describes three-or-four persons linked with that name who intersect the story, the most famous being Albert Osborne from the supposed Mexico City bus. Here is the Bowen from JCS: 

One such person had the real name John Caesar Grossi.  He was born and grew up in Patterson, New Jersey.  He became a criminal and served time in several penetentiaries.  Nevertheless, in 1961, he managed to obtain a job in Dallas, Texas, as assistant art director at the Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall company, which among other activities, produced secret maps for the Department of Defense.  By this time, he was using the alias Jack Leslie Bowen.  In 1962, Lee Harvey Oswald was hired by this same company and became friends with Bowen.  When Oswald obtained a library card, he wrote down Bowen's name and address on the card as a reference.  (HSCA, vol 8, pg376; JFK F-505, B1-10) (CE2195 p66)

Sylvester also says Fred Crisman linked to BOWEN name, and that an anonymous letter sent to Jim Garrison claimed that “one of Crisman's co-conspirators in stealing money from the CIA was a person named Martin Grassi.” Sylwester article available  http://www.jfk-info.com/files.htm under “Bowen”.

Bowen / Grossi disappeared in January 1964 (last known address Executive Inn, Dallas) and was never interviewed.

Bowen / Grossi lived in Oak Cliff about 2 miles from Oswald’s Elsbeth apartment. He and Oswald both worked in the camera department at JCS. Oswald moved into the Oak Cliff neighbourhood on October 19, one week after being hired at JCS.

Nice one Jeff.  

How about this: from CD 734, FBI report on George DeMohrenschildt done in late February of 1964, Gary Taylor says the following.  And I am summarizing:

It was George's idea to introduce he and his then wife Alexandra to Marina and Lee, who George termed a "nice couple"  The Baron asked the Taylors to take Marina into their home.  Meanwhile, George was busy checking Oswald into a YMCA local.  And either he or Bouhe paid the rental.

Taylor said that George DeM took a great interest in Oswald.  And that on the other side, Oswald would do just about anything the Baron asked of him.  He then added the following statement:  He knew of no other person who had the influence over Oswald that DeMohrenschildt had.

Now, i ask any rational person, why on earth would this oil geologist and White Russian who's family was tied in with the oil fields at Baku take so much time and energy to introduce this communist defector to his friends and family?  Terming them a "nice couple".  (Sure, sort of like Rob and Laura Petrie.)  To the point that he spends either his or Bouhe's money to stash LHO in a YMCA, while he puts up Marina with his daughter.  He also gets him to move to Dallas, and quit his job at the welding shop. 

If you cannot see the parallel here between what the Baron is doing and what Ruth Paine will later do, then you would not pass Suspicious Patterns 101 at detective school.

Edited by James DiEugenio

Last Friday, Michael Walton asked Jeff Carter, “By the way are you the author of the essay on the fake backyard photos? I’m reading that now and you did a great job.”

I’m off topic but I agree, “a great job”. Below are the links to Jeff Carter’s set of five articles on the backyard photos:

Tom

After reading the Carter essays and contemplating all his findings I also couldn't help but go back again to the old simple but basic logic thought and question realm of asking why Oswald would ever set up and stage such a photo taking event that seemed to make no sense in purpose except to create just about the most incriminating evidence ( as a gun loving, violence prone commie nut case ) of guilt one could imagine if one were planning to shoot and kill major political figures ... guaranteeing a conviction if he were to be caught and tried for this.  

Oswald taking these Bonnie and Clyde type showing off pictures of himself cockily holding and wearing the actual guns he supposedly used to kill JFK and Officer Tippit and take a pot shot at General Walker and not having them destroyed before the alleged deeds is an action so self incriminating illogical it is not possible in my mind that Oswald was that stupid or irrational.

Oswald frantically resisted when he was arrested in the theater.

He fled the Texas School Book Depository as quickly as he could without arousing too much notice.

He goes back to his room as quickly as he could and then after grabbing his pistol, makes a quick departure to who knows where but it certainly wasn't his plan to go to the Dallas Police and turn himself in. He was doing everything he could to "escape arrest" or who knows what other threatening and harmful actions against him he anticipated.

When Oswald is arrested and paraded in front of the gathered press, he clearly and calmly denies any part of the day's killings and is practically begging for "some, uh legal assistance" in his defense.  Oswald's total actions and words ( he sounded more intelligent than many DPD personnel ) in those brief DPD building press appearances reflect someone who is not so stupid as to create those crazy ( here I am coppers with the killing guns!) back yard pics and keep them in easily found locations to boot.

Brain damaged, lowest IQ criminals might do stupid on this level before their capers, but then I think even most of them might stop and say...uh, maybe I shouldn't take pics of me holdin the guns I'm gonna use to rob that 7-11.

The BY pics and Oswalds actions and words just hours before and after being apprehended are so contradictory in their Warren Commission and MSM "Lone Nut" promoting context that this reality forces one to strongly consider that the official finding connection of the two is an artificial one.

Edited by Joe Bauer

On 3/16/2017 at 1:13 AM, Joe Bauer said:

After reading the Carter essays and contemplating all his findings I also couldn't help but go back again to the old simple but basic logic thought and question realm of asking why Oswald would ever set up and stage such a photo taking event that seemed to make no sense in purpose except to create just about the most incriminating evidence ( as a gun loving, violence prone commie nut case ) of guilt one could imagine if one were planning to shoot and kill major political figures ... and wanting to be caught and convicted of such.  

Oswald taking these Bonnie and Clyde type showing off pictures of himself cockily holding and wearing the actual guns he supposedly used to kill JFK and Officer Tippit and not having them destroyed before the alleged deeds is an action so self incriminating illogical it is not possible in my mind that Oswald was that stupid or irrational.

Oswald frantically resisted when he was arrested in the theater.

He fled the Texas School Book Depository as quickly as he could without arousing too much notice.

He goes back to his room as quickly as he could and then after grabbing his pistol, makes a quick departure to who knows where but it certainly wasn't his plan to go to the Dallas Police and turn himself in. He was doing everything he could to "escape arrest" or who knows what other threatening and harmful actions against him he anticipated.

When Oswald is arrested and paraded in front of the gathered press, he clearly and calmly denies any part of the day's killings and is practically begging for "some, uh legal assistance" in his defense.  Oswald's total actions and words ( he sounded more intelligent than many DPD personnel ) in those brief DPD building press appearances reflect someone who is not so stupid as to create those crazy ( here I am coppers with the killing guns!) back yard pics and keep them in easily found locations to boot.

Brain damaged, lowest IQ criminals might do stupid on this level before their capers, but then I think even most of them might stop and say...uh, maybe I shouldn't take pics of me holdin the guns I'm gonna use to rob that 7-11.

The BY pics and Oswalds actions and words just hours before and after being apprehended are so contradictory in their Warren Commission and MSM "Lone Nut" promoting context that this reality forces one to strongly consider that the official finding connection of the two is an artificial one.

Joe,

These are deep and probing questions.  I want to offer my opinion here.

IMHO, the context of the Backyard Photographs must be solidly considered.  The context is the friendship of LHO with the wealthy baron George De Mohrenschildt (DeM).

LHO didn't like any of the Russian Expatriates in Fort Worth or Dallas -- and they didn't like him.  The big exception was George DeM.

Now -- according to the WC testimony of George DeM, LHO hated General Walker.   Also, in his 1977 manuscript, I'm a Patsy! I'm a Patsy!, George DeM said that he and LHO would joke about General Walker often.  They called him "General Fokker".  

That manuscript also names a mutual friend, young German oil engineer Volkmar Schmidt.   We have Volkmar on video admitting that he tried to convince LHO that General Walker was "as bad as Hitler."   This is also alluded to in George DeM's manuscript.

This is the context.  There was a small coven of well-to-do and young oil engineers in Dallas who hated General Walker, and they had LHO's ear at various parties that George DeM would take the Oswalds in late 1962 and early 1963.

LHO didn't belong at these parties.  LHO didn't live in a nice apartment, with a car of his own, and stock options from his engineering job.  But LHO was sometimes the star attraction -- like a circus freak -- because he was a Marine who defected to the USSR and then came back.   So, he was showered with attention at these parties.

This is the context.  LHO didn't really know what was going on.   LHO may have thought that George DeM was the guy who got him his great job at Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall -- probably the best job that LHO ever had in his life.   LHO may have thought that George DeM was a CIA agent.

That was LHO's weakness, in my CT.  LHO wanted to have a job in the CIA so bad he could taste it.

THEREFORE -- (1) if LHO thought that George DeM was a CIA agent; and (2) if LHO thought that George DeM wanted General Walker dead; then (3) LHO would plan a nice surprise for George DeM, namely, the underground, secret murder of General Walker.

LHO let this idea grow on him.  He began to ruminate on Voikmar's words -- "General Walker is as bad as Hitler."   LHO then bought a pistol and a rifle.  He would do this thing.  LHO began to take photographs of General Walker's house.   He would do this thing.   LHO began to make maps of LHO's property and surrounding area.   He would do this thing.

LHO had already created Fake ID for Alek J. Hidell on Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall equipment, and nobody stopped him.  Finally, LHO decided to commemorate his Big Showoff.  LHO would make Backyard Photographs (BYP) for this -- on the same equipment.

LHO was very careful -- he used many spy techniques to make the BYP's, for "plausible deniability."   Several layers of photographic plates were used -- slanted at angles -- and LHO could *prove* that they were Fakes -- just in case he had to.

LHO handed his BYP's around to select people.   George DeM got a signed copy.   Michael Paine saw a copy on April 2, 1963.  Roscoe White got a copy, because he was the body-double in the BYP's,   LHO sent a copy to The Militant newspaper.   LHO gave a copy to Marina, to keep for baby June.  

Lee had decided to assassinate General Walker.

Walker would find out before the week was out.  This is what Walker says in his personal papers.   General Walker would get revenge on both JFK and LHO at the same time.   Walker was far more capable than any JFK researchers have recognized in the past half century -- until Jeff Caufield (2015).

Regards,
--Paul Trejo 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2017 at 9:01 PM, James DiEugenio said:

Nice one Jeff.  

How about this: from CD 734, FBI report on George DeMohrenschildt done in late February of 1964, Gary Taylor says the following.  And I am summarizing:

It was George's idea to introduce he and his then wife Alexandra to Marina and Lee, who George termed a "nice couple"  The Baron asked the Taylors to take Marina into their home.  Meanwhile, George was busy checking Oswald into a YMCA local.  And either he or Bouhe paid the rental.

Taylor said that George DeM took a great interest in Oswald.  And that on the other side, Oswald would do just about anything the Baron asked of him.  He then added the following statement:  He knew of no other person who had the influence over Oswald that DeMohrenschildt had.

Now, i ask any rational person, why on earth would this oil geologist and White Russian who's family was tied in with the oil fields at Baku take so much time and energy to introduce this communist defector to his friends and family?  Terming them a "nice couple".  (Sure, sort of like Rob and Laura Petrie.)  To the point that he spends either his or Bouhe's money to stash LHO in a YMCA, while he puts up Marina with his daughter.  He also gets him to move to Dallas, and quit his job at the welding shop. 

If you cannot see the parallel here between what the Baron is doing and what Ruth Paine will later do, then you would not pass Suspicious Patterns 101 at detective school.

James,

The person to ask about the Baron is the Baron himself.  He gave lots and lots of WC testimony, and he is referenced many times by many other WC witnesses, including Marina Oswald.  If you had bothered to read that text, here is what you would have read:

Ruth Paine herself only saw the Baron once in her life before the JFK assassination, namely, on February 22, 1963 at a party at Everett Glover's house.   Everett, an engineer, was a pal of the Baron's (from work) and also of Michael Paine (at Unitarian Church). 

The Baron was an eccentric man with a colorful life.  Born fabulously wealthy in Russia, the Communists took his family's Estate in 1917, and the young Baron fled to Europe, where he supported the Nazis in the 1930's in hopes of defeating the Communists and getting his Estate back.  The Nazis not only lost the war, but they slaughtered 20% of the Russian population.  Now the Baron hated Russian Communists and German Nazis equally.  He and his older brother fled to the USA.

The Baron's brother did very well in the USA -- and the Baron did less well.  Yet both men were very well educated, and did not suffer much.  The Baron knew the family of Jackie Kennedy when Jackie was a young girl.  These are the social circles the Baron moved within.

In Dallas, however, surrounded by yokels, the Baron became a snob.  He liked to fool people.  He liked to shock people, actually.  This came out in the WC testimonies, and he himself admitted it, under oath. 

Why would the Baron be interested in a "hillbilly" like LHO?  (That was the Baron's actual word for LHO.)   The reason was that LHO was an oddity -- a curiosity -- like a circus sideshow -- he was the Marine who defected to the USSR.   So the Baron had to meet him.

Then the Baron was astounded by LHO -- LHO could speak Russian more fluently than any American in Texas.  LHO's grammar wasn't perfect, but his fluency was remarkable, said the Baron. 

In his first meeting, in perhaps early August, 1962, at a White Russian gathering at Max and Gali Clark's (IIRC) LHO would answer questions for the Russian-speaking guests and then answer questions for the English-speaking guests with equal fluency.   The Baron was thrilled.  Even his own, university educated children could not do that, and here was this "hillbilly" doing it. 

The Baron admitted that he liked LHO.  He really liked him.  LHO bugged him from time to time -- he really was a poser, but he liked LHO.  This is in his WC testimony.

Later in 1962, when most of the White Russians were sick and tired of the melodrama of the Oswalds, the Baron stuck closer to the Oswalds, and took them to parties, even though the other Russian guests would groan about it.   (This is also in the WC testimonies).  The Christmas party of 1962 was a case in point.

Then, in 1963, the Baron stayed close to LHO even in Dallas, in Oak Cliff, far from the genteel neighborhoods where most White Russians lived.   LHO didn't like them.  They were getting too fresh with Marina.

The Baron on February 22, 1963, took the Oswalds to an engineer's party at Everett Glover's.  Everett did not speak Russian.  All of the guests there spoke English -- except for the Oswalds, the DeMohrenschildt's, and a new student of the Russian language, Ruth Paine.

At that party, Marina Oswald was almost isolated, because all the engineers and their dates surrounded the "Marine defector" to ask him questions.  LHO loved it.  Marina had to take care of baby June in a bedroom with Jeanne DeMohrenschildt.   Ruth Paine joined them, and tried out her unpracticed Russian conversational skills.  Marina Oswald kindly and gently corrected Ruth, and Ruth thought that Marina Oswald was just a wonderful person, and wanted to be her friend instantly. 

According to Ruth Paine, she never saw George DeM before or after (until after the JFK assassination; and then only in the context of the JFK investigations).

Ruth Paine's friendship with Marina Oswald was a great joy to Ruth, a great relief for Marina -- especially since LHO was, according to Marina: (1) standing in the way of Marina's learning of English; (2) threatening to send Marina back to the USSR without him; and (3) not allowing Marina sufficient medical attention, since she was pregnant again.

Ruth Paine would take a charitable interest in Marina Oswald at this point, and for the rest of 1963 -- to mixed results.

Regards,
--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo
typos

• 2 months later...

Thanks Chris.

Here's a compilation of what some others said about Oswald being violent:

Marina herself:

Mr. McDONALD. During this time in the Soviet Union, did Lee Harvey Oswald ever demonstrate any violent tendencies, any antisocial tendencies, either to you personally or in general?

Mrs. PORTER. Well, he would lose temper a few times, but he was pretty good at controlling it. You know naturally during the marriage husband and wife do fuss sometimes.

Mr. McDONALD. But it is your testimony that his behavior was not-

Mrs. PORTER. He wasn't really violent, no.

Jeane de Mohrenschildt:

Mr. JENNER. He could still speak Russian to her, even though she learned English, couldn't he?

Mrs. De MOHRENSCHILDT. Of course, that is what we told him. We said, "You are crippling her, she has to learn English. She cannot live in this country without the language, she cannot do anything." He was strange in many, many ways.
But he never appeared to be violent or anything. He was a little violent once, when we came to the point that we said we are taking your wife and child away. That is the only time he showed real nastiness.

Lillian Murret (Oswald's Aunt):

Mr. JENNER - During the years that you knew him, did he ever have fits of temper, that you thought were unusual?

Mrs. MURRET - Well, he visited with me often, and he did a lot of things that I wondered about at the time, but there were times when I think he was just like any other person. It was just that he was always so quiet, and he was hard to get close to. He just wouldn't talk unless you would talk to him first, and, like I say, he was kind to Marina. Of course now, I don't know, what went on in their home, but he always treated her like a gentleman at our house.

Mr. JENNER - But you had no impression of him as being a violent person?

Mrs. MURRET – No; not at all.

Ruth Paine:

Representative BOGGS - How well did you know Lee Oswald?

Mrs. PAINE - Insufficiently well.

Representative BOGGS - What do you mean by that?

Mrs. PAINE - Well, I regret, of course, very deeply that I didn't perceive him as a violent man.

Representative BOGGS – You saw no evidence of violence in him at any time?

Mrs. PAINE – No, I didn't. He argued with his wife but he never struck her. I never heard from her of any violence from him.