The Education Forum

Billy James Hargis

John Simkin

Billy James Hargis died at the end of last month. A few newspapers in the US and the UK published obituaries of Hargis. They concentrated on the sex scandal that destroyed his career. None of them mentioned his connection to the assassination of the JFK. It is an interesting story.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKhargis.htm

In 1947 Hargis organized Christian Crusade, as "a Christian weapon against Communism and its godless allies". Hargis also ran an Annual Anti-Communist Leadership School. His daily broadcasts were carried by around 250 television and 500 radio stations across the United States.

A close friend of General Edwin Walker, he became a member of the John Birch Society. Hargis used his national media network to promote right-wing politicians. This included writing speeches for Joseph McCarthy. In 1953 he travelled to West Germany where he launched 100,000 balloons, with Bible verses attached, over the iron curtain.

After the assassination of JFK rumours began to circulate that Walker could have been involved in the crime.

On the 6th December, 1963, Hargis wrote an article about this in the Weekly Crusader:

It may be difficult for my readers to understand my fear upon hearing the right-wing accused of participation in President Kennedy’s death. May I assure you, as one who has gone through a hate campaign directed at me by the liberals and left-wing element, and having seen the degree to which they will go to destroy anyone who stands in their way, my heart told me that their hatred knew no limitations and their vengeance knows no bounds.

I know - and you know - that no true conservative in the United States would stoop to taking the law into his own hands. I know - and you know - that any man who would assassinate the President of the United States, in these days when we still have "due process of law," would not be a conservative or a patriot, but an anarchist. I hold them in the same contempt that I hold the Communists or any man who would go beyond the law to achieve an end. In my thinking, the end never justifies the means.

In his book, The Far Left (1964), Hargis claimed that the assassination had been part of a conspiracy organized by the KGB and the American Communist Party.

In spite of the absolute, indisputable evidence that Lee Oswald’s mind was molded by Communist conspiracy propaganda, that his hatred was of the American free enterprise system and all it embraces, and that no one with even the remotest connection with what is considered to be the extreme right has any remote connection with the entire hideous affair, the propaganda voices of the left continue to try to blame right wing conservatives for creating the atmosphere of “hate” which caused Oswald to commit the assassination of President Kennedy. Do they really think the American people are that stupid?

There is no doubt in my mind that the Communist assassin, Lee Oswald, intended to kill the President of the United States and disappear in the confused crowd, thus letting the conservative, anti-Communist element of Dallas take the blame. But it didn’t work. God is on the throne. He saw to it that Lee Harvey Oswald was apprehended by a courageous Dallas policeman, Officer Tippit, who, in turn, gave his life for the cause of freedom in attempting to arrest the Communist assassin of the President.

Billy James Hargis died at the end of last month. A few newspapers in the US and the UK published obituaries of Hargis. They concentrated on the sex scandal that destroyed his career. None of them mentioned his connection to the assassination of the JFK. It is an interesting story.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKhargis.htm

In 1947 Hargis organized Christian Crusade, as "a Christian weapon against Communism and its godless allies". Hargis also ran an Annual Anti-Communist Leadership School. His daily broadcasts were carried by around 250 television and 500 radio stations across the United States.

A close friend of General Edwin Walker, he became a member of the John Birch Society. Hargis used his national media network to promote right-wing politicians. This included writing speeches for Joseph McCarthy. In 1953 he travelled to West Germany where he launched 100,000 balloons, with Bible verses attached, over the iron curtain.

After the assassination of JFK rumours began to circulate that Walker could have been involved in the crime.

On the 6th December, 1963, Hargis wrote an article about this in the Weekly Crusader:

It may be difficult for my readers to understand my fear upon hearing the right-wing accused of participation in President Kennedy’s death. May I assure you, as one who has gone through a hate campaign directed at me by the liberals and left-wing element, and having seen the degree to which they will go to destroy anyone who stands in their way, my heart told me that their hatred knew no limitations and their vengeance knows no bounds.

I know - and you know - that no true conservative in the United States would stoop to taking the law into his own hands. I know - and you know - that any man who would assassinate the President of the United States, in these days when we still have "due process of law," would not be a conservative or a patriot, but an anarchist. I hold them in the same contempt that I hold the Communists or any man who would go beyond the law to achieve an end. In my thinking, the end never justifies the means.

In his book, The Far Left (1964), Hargis claimed that the assassination had been part of a conspiracy organized by the KGB and the American Communist Party. 

In spite of the absolute, indisputable evidence that Lee Oswald’s mind was molded by Communist conspiracy propaganda, that his hatred was of the American free enterprise system and all it embraces, and that no one with even the remotest connection with what is considered to be the extreme right has any remote connection with the entire hideous affair, the propaganda voices of the left continue to try to blame right wing conservatives for creating the atmosphere of “hate” which caused Oswald to commit the assassination of President Kennedy. Do they really think the American people are that stupid?

There is no doubt in my mind that the Communist assassin, Lee Oswald, intended to kill the President of the United States and disappear in the confused crowd, thus letting the conservative, anti-Communist element of Dallas take the blame. But it didn’t work. God is on the throne. He saw to it that Lee Harvey Oswald was apprehended by a courageous Dallas policeman, Officer Tippit, who, in turn, gave his life for the cause of freedom in attempting to arrest the Communist assassin of the President.

Hi, John

A paraphrase ' come into the Society {JBS} and help us destroy the shadow '

Hopefully you have a very important copy of the {JBS} September 1963 Special

Bulletin,to members, that includes this statement. This bulletin fanned the fire to full heat.

My own copy however is long ago lost.