The Education Forum

Info for James Richards

Jim Root

I have been informed by David Kahn that, in regards to Harrod Miller, it seems that he was not a member of the "Magic Team" and that he (Kahn) has "never heard of the man."

I forwarded information about the picture you posted to him.

It seems that Capt. Harrod Miller, who you (from an independent source) seem to be able to associate with Maxwell Taylor, found his way into a picture with a group of top secret codebreakers that he (Miller) was not associated with (making him an interesting person from a historical perspective). Information about this group remained classified till the late 1960's. Independently I found Edwin Walker (loosely) connected to this group and Maxwell Taylor, it seems, strongly associated with this group.

We do know that Harrod Miller was involved with Signals Intelligence by 1930 while stationed in Panama. My question becomes was he counter-intelligence? Does that coincide with your information?

Jim Root

I have been informed by David Kahn that, in regards to Harrod Miller, it seems that he was not a member of the "Magic Team" and that he (Kahn) has "never heard of the man."

I forwarded information about the picture you posted to him.

It seems that Capt. Harrod Miller, who you (from an independent source) seem to be able to associate with Maxwell Taylor, found his way into a picture with a group of top secret codebreakers that he (Miller) was not associated with (making him an interesting person from a historical perspective).  Information about this group remained classified till the late 1960's.  Independently I found Edwin Walker (loosely) connected to this group and Maxwell Taylor, it seems, strongly associated with this group.

We do know that Harrod Miller was involved with Signals Intelligence by 1930 while stationed in Panama.  My question becomes was he counter-intelligence?  Does that coincide with your information?

Jim Root

Hi Jim,

Thanks for that. Interesting how one can just find there way into a group picture of top secret codebreakers. :ph34r:

The shift from Panama might be the key here. Being counter-intelligence makes sense and is a likely reality but I have nothing to confirm that.

What I can tell you is that Miller was not nobody. I have some information about his death and who may have been responsible. Until I can get some more information to support it, I don't wish to speculate.

Fascinating indeed. Thanks for looking into this. I honestly believe this line of research will be most productive.

James

• 2 months later...

James

I just received this infromation from an NSA historian reguarding Harrod Miller. Your statement, "Interesting how one can just find there way into a group picture of top secret codebreakers." seems to be confirmed in some ways. On the other hand it does confirm that Miller was in fact with military intelligence. I'm still interested in who the "nobody" was and how he is associated with Maxwell Taylor. Seems the NSA is mum on this one.

"Jim:

I have almost nothing on Miller.

He was a Signal Corps trainee with the

Signals Intelligence Service, and had field assignments

before the war. Other than that, just a notation

that he was a colonel during the war.

Sorry I can' be more helpful.

Dave

JIM ROOT wrote:

>

> I appreciate the help that you provided while I have been researching John B. Hurt and Friedman's group of WWII era codebreakers.

>

> Another person working with Friedman's group of cryptographers was Captain Harrod Miller. I know that Miller was involved with Signals Intelligence by 1930 while stationed in Panama and that he joined Friedman's codebreakers by the late 1930's. Beyond that I have found little infromation and I hope that you can help me out once again with as much biographical detail as possible (as well as how he became associated with this group and how long he stayed with the NSA).

>

> Thank you once again for your time and patients.

>

> Jim Root

> History Teacher

Thanks, Jim.

I'm glad you have kept this thread alive. Miller for me is curious (and frustrating) for the fact that there is zip on him. If it wasn't for that photograph then he would never have come to our attention. And by being in that photograph he was obviously connected to what was going on.

I'm sorry I don't have the answers, I just know that Miller was somehow involved.

James

Colonel is pretty high ranking.

According to Military Intelligence magazine, published at

Fort Huascacha, Major and above can task national security

wiretaps on US soil.

Harrod Miller was part of the team (joint agency) that

was active in Japan, at Atsugi Air base, during the MK ULTRA

period when false defectors were being trained to go into

Soviet Russia.

John Hurt was his associate, and these men may have been the

core recruiters of one LHO.

Shanet

We can in fact associate Harrod Miller with John B. Hurt using a historical picture that places Miller with Friedman's group of crytographers while specifically stating that Hurt is missing from the picture.

On the other hand I have learned that in the speeches made at Hurt's retirement from the NSA in August of 1963 it was stated that he had never been to the orient dispite his fluency in Japanese and interest in the history of Japan.

Jim Root

Shanet

We can in fact associate Harrod Miller with John B. Hurt using a historical picture that places Miller with Friedman's group of crytographers while specifically stating that Hurt is missing from the picture.

On the other hand I have learned that in the speeches made at Hurt's retirement from the NSA in August of 1963 it was stated that he had never been to the orient dispite his fluency in Japanese and interest in the history of Japan.

Jim Root

Since so much is classified we have to connect the dots.

I may have exagerated, but I'll bet the truth is worse than my suppositions!

Again I would stress to the readers the Wall that existed between the CIA and the military spy agencies.

It may well be that the CIA was not a sponsor, but that these people at the MI, especially those around ONI, Taylor and Walker were complicit in the assassination.

Stay on the case, this is a very promising approach.

(Motive & Opportunity)

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

James

Seems that it is very possible that Harrod Miller may have worked with John Grombach in Latin America in the 1930's in association with signals intelligence.

Do you have anything new on this fellow?

Jim Root