The Education Forum

Watergate and the Assassination of JFK

John Simkin

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat, I could be wrong but I did not think the money came from Bush's buddies in Texas.  If I recall right, it may have come from a businessman in Minnesota.

But I could be wrong.

And in one sense it really does not matter where the money came from.

As the lawyer for the Committee to Re-elect the President, Liddy had access to and was knowledgable of funds that were under the table. Accordingly, he had 114k washed through Barker's account and sent back to the White House to be stored in Haldeman's safe, minus the funds given to the "burglars." The Patman Report explains exactly what happened.

There was 25k given to the Committee by a Minnesota businessman named Dwayne Andreas. As he was a visible supporter of Democrat Hubert Humphrey, his contribution was hidden to avoid his embarrassment. The rest of the money, and a whole lot more came from Texas. William C. Lietdke, Bush' former partner in Zapata and the then President of Pennzoil, flew hundreds of thousands in cash to Washington in a corporate jet. Another contributor was long-time Bush crony Bob Mosbacher. Robert Allen, of Gulf Resources, was apparently the one responsible for sending over 100k into the account of his lawyer in Mexico, Manuel Ogarrio, and having four cashier's checks forwarded from there into Barker's account.

I pieced this together from several sources, none of which is as clear as I would like. Has anyone here read the Patman Report?

Thanks, Pat, Andreas was the person whose name I was trying to recall.

With all the Bush money coming it, no wonder RN helped restart Bush's political career. Of course, Bush was RNC Chairman, as I recall, during the Watergate crisis.

There has been discussion on this forum re why JFK selected LBJ as his Veep. It was for similar reasons that Reagan selected Bush even though Reagan and Bush did not exactly see "eye to eye". Reagan needed the support of the Bush wing of the GOP just as JFK needed LBJ's support in the South. Simple politics.

Dawn,

Hey, we agree!

There was probably CIA involvement in Watergate.  I assume you have read both "Secret Agenda" and "Silent Coup"?

Of course, ultimately Nixon was responsible for his own destruction by the manner in which he handled the whole affair.

And there were other abuses in the Nixon presidency, sometimes wraped up in the "Watergate" label, that had nothing to do with the CIA.

Hey Tim,

No I have not read either of those books. One of these days....too much to read and so little time. No, I "figured out" Watergate for myself, by reading the newspaper at the time. I was working for George McGovern's election bid at the time so when Watergate occurred on 6/17/02 I was very excited and followed it closely. Knowing a bit of how "good spies" DON'T operate, reading about McCord's actions placing the tape on the lock being not vertically, so that it could not be detected by security guard Frank Wills, but horizontally TWICE, was proof to me that McCord was trying to get them caught. So one had to wonder why? Why were they REALLY there and why they acted so unprofessionally. Had Nixon become too dangerous to a faction of the CIA? Was it some sort of payback?

(And do either of those books answer these questions?)

Dawn

[ just as JFK needed LBJ's support in the South. Simple politics.

And speaking of interesting double crosses does anyone kow what Lucianne Goldberg was up to those days? It was reported by Glen Sample (The Men on the Sixth Floor) that she was working in the campaign press office for LBJ in 1960. Was she really there working I wonder, or was she a spy that far back?

People do change political parties, but Ms. Goldberg played SUCH a pivital role in the near-impeachment of Clinton, that I wonder what she was up to during Watergate. (And of course, in 1960 too).

Just curious, anyone know??

Dawn

The money was bigger than we ever knew. Anthony Summers makes it clear that Nixon put TENS OF MILLIONS of Dollars in Swiss and Bahamian Banks (usually with Bebe Rebozo as co-owner) and that the illegal accounts spiked dramatically around 1968 and 1972...Andreas was only one benefactor, there were many others from Ashland Oil. Pepsi and other institutions.

Kenneth Dahlberg was the principal 1972 money launderer, and the accounts lead to Bahamian, Swiss, Mexican and other off-shore accounts...

To Dawn:

Yes they do. I know you are swamped with job responsibilties, etc., but if you get the opportunity, read them. They are fascinating. If you can only read one, read, IMO, "Silent Coup" because it was the latest and I think it was founded on some of the trailblazing work Hougan did in "Secret Agenda".

To Dawn:

Yes they do.  I know you are swamped with job responsibilties, etc., but if you get the opportunity, read them.  They are fascinating.  If you can only read one, read, IMO, "Silent Coup" because it was the latest and I think it was founded on some of the trailblazing work Hougan did in "Secret Agenda".

Dawn -

I can vouch - both are great books, they really shaped how historians see Watergate. Silent Coup builds upon Secret Agenda so you should read HOUGAN first. They get into the call girl ring, Admiral Moorer (JCS) spying on Kissinger, and lots of dirty stuff about R.Bennett, Lou Russell, John Dean, Huston, etc.................I know you are busy, but these are fundamental.

Shanet

:eek

Edited by Shanet Clark

And I'll have to look it up again but there was a connection between Mrs. John Dean and Dallas.  It is discussed in Peter Dale Scott's book "Deep Politics".

Mo Dean was privy to some of the DEA and DEAN secrets, she definitely had a few tricks up her sleeve... :secret:secret

[ just as JFK needed LBJ's support in the South. Simple politics.

And speaking of interesting double crosses does anyone kow what Lucianne Goldberg was up to those days? It was reported by Glen Sample (The Men on the Sixth Floor) that she was working in the campaign press office for LBJ in 1960. Was she really there working I wonder, or was she a spy that far back?

People do change political parties, but Ms. Goldberg played SUCH a pivital role in the near-impeachment of Clinton, that I wonder what she was up to during Watergate. (And of course, in 1960 too).

Just curious, anyone know??

Dawn

Dawn, I think you must have read somewhere the same info I've read, otherwise you wouldn't have just popped out with Ms. Goldberg's name like that. I seem to remember that when Ms. Goldberg was exposed as the puppeteer behind Linda Tripp, it was also mentioned that she spied for Nixon in 72 while pretending to be a journalist on the McGovern Campaign.

Shanet,

Since Mo's room-mate was the head of the classy call girl operation being run out of the DNC, perhaps one should not use the word "tricks" in connection with Mrs. Dean!

Her alleged code name in the CATHY DIETER trick book was CLOUT, because of the White House connection.

I think this term is connected to KLUTE the 1971 film where JANE FONDA played a prostitute.

Supposedly, Dean "tasked" the Cuban Burglars to steal the trick book out of the DNC offices because his girlfriend was in it....but they sue people who claim that as fact, so I am just telling you what the theory is. It involved the PIMP, a Mr. Phillip Mackin BAILEY, and his trial for procuring and prostitution. The deeper version holds that the CIA ran the CALL GIRL RING in order to extort and control politicians and ambassadors...this is where JOHN PAISLEY and ROBERT BENNETT of the CIA meld into the WATERGATE scandal. It is actually a very legitimate theory, as I found out by reading "straight" history articles on Watergate.

MAXIE WELLS, the DNC secretary at the Watergate, sued G.Gordon Liddy for saying the TRICK BOOK was in MAXIE WELLS desk. This is the desk that the burglars, I believe Martinez, had the key to. The key to MAXIE WELLS desk was found on the CREEP burglary team, and supposedly JOHN DEAN had sent the burglars to WELLS desk to get the "HEIDI" CATHY REIKIN trick book.

This trick book had the code name CLOUT in it, and JOHN DEAN arranged to see the TRICK BOOK when PHILIP BAILEY was on trial in Washington.

But you knew that.

Whores, bugs, politicians and law suits...it all makes sense, really........

And of course MO DEAN sat behind JOHN DEAN when he testified before the IRVIN COMMITTEE and wore a tight cashmere sweater to go with her cold & aloof look.

:secret

While there may have been personal reasons for Dean wanting to go into the Watergate, the theory that Dean somehow orchestrated the whole deal is bunkum, most likely designed to punish Dean for his refusing to take the fall. The Cubans were told they were getting dirt connecting McGovern with Castro while the two phones tapped were not coincidentally both connected to former Hughes employees. One theory, and I think it's a good one, is that Nixon was worried O'brien would pull an October Surprise on him and reveal the payoffs from Hughes just before the election. His ties to Hughes hurt him in 60 and 62 and Nixon was not about to let it happen again.

So John thinks Jack Anderson was a CIA asset spreading disinformation about the assassination.

Maybe Liddy should have whacked him.

Just kidding, of course!

Parenthetically, at my last job in Key West, I worked with a nice fellow who was absolutely a twin of Gordon Liddy!