The Education Forum

E-Help schools collaboration

Dan Lyndon

I thought that I would write to inform everyone that (unless I am unaware) the first post-Toulouse inter schools collaboration took place with students from my school, Henry Compton having lunch with students from Nico's school Sintermeertencollege, in our canteen. The Dutch students were working on an online propaganda project (which Nico can explain in more detail) using the City Learning Centre which is next door and we both though that this was an excellent opportunity for the students to meet for a short while and talk about their different experiences. The lunch was very successful and the students and staff really got alot out of our little event. There is obviously great potential for further links with a greater focus on the curriculum next time.

Is this a first?

Edited by Dan Lyndon

• 2 weeks later...
Is this a first?

Hopefully not last!

We thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality of Henry Compton Secondary School in Fulham. On my forum one of our girls wrote that she would like to see more meetings between students to take place.

In my view students exchange should take place within the curriculum of both partner schools. Working on 1 central theme together in History or whatsoever, social meetings and building up contacts over a longer period of time should be in the forefront.

This was a start, Henry Compton pupils will always be welcome in Heerlen!

Well done for setting that up Dan & Nico! I'd certainly like to develop links with schools throughout Europe - and indeed the world! The pupils I teach can be very insular and narrow-minded, so it would be great to open up their horizons a bit... :rolleyes:

Any takers? I'll be doing the following in the summer term:

Year 7 - King John

Year 8 - Cromwell/Industrial Revolution/Dying For The Vote

Year 9 - World War II

Year 10 - 19th & 20th Century Medicine/Coursework on Canals

:plane Doug

Doug

how about some kind of project on the experience of WW2 from our different parts of the country as part of the 60th anniversary of the end of the war? this can then be linked into the wider european experience. I would like ideally to do some oral work with veterans or people who lived through the blitz but there must be scope for some comparative stuff there - do you have video conferencing facilities?

Edited by Dan Lyndon

Doug

how about some kind of project on the experience of WW2 from our different parts of the country as part of the 60th anniversary of the end of the war? this can then be linked into the wider european experience. I would like ideally to do some oral work with veterans or people who lived through the blitz but there must be scope for some comparative stuff there - do you have video conferencing facilities?

Not as far as I'm aware - but then it's a large school and each department does keep very much to itself. There could be a nuclear bunker underneath the staff room and I wouldn't know about it. How about using that email thing that Janos suggested in Toulouse? (and/or doing DV presentations to each other and emailing them)

:rolleyes: Doug