The Education Forum

Roland 'Bud' Culligan

This is simply some speculation, based upon some detail pulled from various sources - making use of Bud Culligan's sketchy details concerning the assassination of JFK.

1. The Police cars

2. The Operation's Organizational Structure and the Locations in Dealey Plaza (TBD)

Starting with the police cars...skip down to the next area in blue if you don't need a Culligan refresh.

1. The Police cars - were retired Police Vehicles employed by the operation on 11/22/63?

Summary on Culligan

In particular, although it sounds as if 'Bud' Culligan, if he is to be believed, was not directly associated with the JFK assassination [he may have been AM/LASH or WI/ROGUE, but apparently was NOT QJ/WIN - anyone feel free to aid my poor knowledge concerning the uses of these cryptograms - as I understand it, they may have been used by multiple individuals], and possibly was in the process of rejecting a poison filled pen as a weapon of choice for the assassination of Castro, at a meeting in Paris on 11/22/63]. Still, he has quite a few interesting details which I believe may have merit concerning the Operation in Dallas.

According to Bud, 2 of his 'Helpers' were a Texas State Trooper from Dallas, and a Plumber from Corpus Christi. If this is true, then it could potentially explain how he came by his information about the operation secondhand, and why it seems to differ with the unofficial record. I'm assuming that if Bud was a professional assassin, it would also put him in a very different 'culture' in which he would have access to contacts and intelligence information, through which he also may have been appraised of some of the details of the assassination in Dealey Plaza, vicariously.

The story goes that Bud was fed up with the killing, and rejected a ludicrous assignment in the 1970s (Castro, once again) - Bud went on strike, and the story continues that the CIA cut him off. Bud was arrested and jailed on a bad check deal, as his assets had vanished. The Plausible Denial Machine had gone into operation. The JFK piece was not his only leverage, but obviously the most significant in the US.

A nice piece by Lisa Pease from Probe, Midnight in the Congo

The Assassination of Lumumba and the Mysterious Death of Dag Hammarskjold, From the March-April, 1999 issue (Vol. 6 No. 3)

http://www.webcom.com/ctka/pr399-congo.html

Confessions of a Hitman

In 1976, Roland "Bud" Culligan sought legal assistance. After serving the CIA for 25 years, Culligan was angry. He had performed sensitive operations for the company and felt he deserved better treatment than to be put in jail on a phony bad check charge so the agency could "protect" him from foreign intelligence agents. He had been jailed since 1971, and now the agency was disavowing any connection with him. His personal assets had mysteriously vanished, and his wife Sara was being harassed. But Culligan had kept one very important card up his sleeve. He had kept a detailed journal of every assignment he had performed for the CIA. He had dates, names, places. And Culligan was a professional assassin.

Culligan sought the aid of a lawyer who in turn required some corroborative information. The lawyer asked Culligan to provide explicit details, such as who had recruited him into the CIA, who was his mutual friend with Victor Marchetti, and could he describe in detail six executive action (E.A.) assignments. Culligan answered each request. One of the executive actions he detailed was his assignment to kill Dag Hammarskjold.

Culligan described first in general terms how he would receive assignments:

It is impossible, being here, to recall perfectly all details of past E.A.’s Each E.A. was unique and the execution was left to me and me alone. Holland [identified elsewhere as Lt. Gen. Clay Odum] would call, either by phone or letter memo. At times I would be "billed" by a fake company for a few dollars. The number to call was on the "bill." I have them all. I studied each man, or was introduced by a mutual friend or acquaintance, to dispell suspicion. I was not always told exactly why a man was subject to being killed. I believed Holland and CIA knew enough about matter to be trusting and I did my work accordingly.... By the time I was called in, the man had become a total loss to CIA, or had become involved in actual plotting to overthrow the U.S. Gov, with help from abroad. There were some exceptions.

...When an E.A. was planned, I was given all possible details in memo form, pictures, verbal descriptions, money, tickets, passports, all the time I needed for plan and set up. I and I alone called the final shot or shots.

Culligan matter-of-factly described five other EAs. But when he told of Hammarskjold, it was out of sequence and in a different tone than the other descriptions:

The E.A. involving Hammarskjold was a bad one. I did not want the job. Damn it, I did not want the job.... I intercepted D.H’s trip at Ndola, No. Rhodesia (now Zaire). Flew from Tripoli to Abidjian to Brazzaville to Ndola, shot the airplane, it crashed, and I flew back, same way.... I went to confession after Nasser and I swore I would never again do this work. And I never will.

Culligan did not want his information released. He only wanted to use it to pressure the CIA into restoring his funds, clearing his record, and allowing his wife and himself to live in peace. When this effort failed, a friend of Culligan’s pursued the matter by sending Culligan’s information to Florida Attorney General Robert Shevin.

Shevin was impressed enough by the documentation Culligan provided to forward the material along to Senator Frank Church, in which he wrote,

It is my sincere hope and desire that your Committee could look into the allegations made by Mr. Culligan. His charges seem substantive enough to warrant an immediate, thorough investigation by your Committee.

Culligan was scheduled to be released from prison in 1977. He wrote the CIA’s General Counsel offering to turn in his journal if he was released without any further complications. But once out of jail, Culligan found himself on the run continuously, fearing for his and his wife’s life. A friend continued to write public officials on Culligan’s behalf, saying,

There are forces that operate within our Government that most people do not even suspect exist. In the past, these forces have instituted actions that would be repugnant to the American people and the world at large. I have always wanted to see this situation handled quietly and honorably without a lot of publicity. Unfortunately, the agencies, bureaus, and services involved are devoid of honor. This story is extremely close to going public soon and when it does, I fear for the effect upon our Country and her position in the world community.

The story never did go public, until now. And this is only a piece of what Culligan had to say.46 You can’t see all of what he had to say. These files remain restricted at the National Archives, withdrawn by the CIA, unavailable to researchers. Not even the Review Board could pry forth the tape Culligan made in jail detailing his CIA activities. And no wonder. Want to hear one of Culligan’s bombshells? In the list of Executive Actions Culligan detailed, three related to the Kennedy assassination. Culligan wrote that he was hired to kill three of the assassins who had participated in, as he called it, the "Dallas E.A." Apparently, the three were asking for larger sums to cover their silence. Culligan recruited them for a mission and told them to meet him in Guatemala. When they showed up, he killed all three.

Is Culligan to be believed? Why can’t we know for certain? Where are the leaders who are not afraid to confront the demons of the past, to genuinely seek out the truth about our history? Who will take this information and pursue it where it leads? Because no one pursued the truth about Lumumba at the time, and no one found the truth about Hammarskjold’s death, assassination remained a viable way to change foreign policy. Malcolm X, the two Kennedy brothers and Martin Luther King fell prey to the same forces. When will the media serve the public, instead of the ruling elite, by finally reporting the truth about the assassinations of the sixties? ±

According to Bud, he was provided sufficient information/cause as to the reason why a selected target required elimination - even provided with the ability to turn down an assignment. Since we have fairly well eliminated the three invididuals that Culligan claimed to have been shooters [Tim's thread on the 6th floor shooter], we can only assume that Culligan was provided disinformation.

Allegedly, Bud Culligan was AM/LASH or possibly WI/ROGUE, and was part of the Executive Action program, and was personally responsible for the elimination of the following list of individuals, taken from Craig Hulet's "A Paper on JFK & CIA & Executive Action," 1991, Exhibit G:

Jaimie Klinger, England, 1952

?, Lebanon, 1952

?, Iran, 1952

?, Turkey, 1952

Edwardo Dumas, Colombia, 1953

Jorge Adams, Cuba, 1955

Guilarmo de Larista, Cuba, 1958

Patrice Lumumba, Congo, 1961

Rafael Trujillo, Dominican Republic, 1961

Dag Hammarskold [swede], Africa, 1961

Dhuarajta Sarit, Indonesia, 1962

Monno Singh, India, 1962

Claus Erlecht, Germany, 1963

Ngo Dinh Diem, Vietnam, 1963

Ngo Dinh Nhu, Vietnam, 1963

Jose Fuentes, Guatemala, 1964

AS Arango, Honduras, 1964

Manuel Artime Buesa [Cuban], Guatemala, Feb, 1965

Jose Mira Cardona [Cuban], Guatemala, Feb, 1965

Manuel A DeVarona [Cuban] Guatemala, Feb, 1965

King Farouk [Egyptian], Rome, March 1965

Moshe Tshomba, Africa, 1965

Arturo Benegio, Italy, 1967

?, Libya, 1967

Laczlo Kopecnia [Hungarian], East Germany, 1967

Juan Sepia, Spain, 1967

Gamal A. Nassar, Egypt, 1970

The Police car references:

From 'Car 10 Where Are you?' by Bill Drenas.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/car10.htm

Just after Lee Harvey Oswald returned to his rooming house at 1026 North Beckley at about 1:00P.M. on 11/22/63 Earlene Roberts who was the housekeeper at the rooming house noticed that a Dallas Police car pulled up in front of the rooming house and honked the horn twice and then drove away. This happened while Oswald was in his room. There has been so much written about this event that a full length article could be written about it but, I would like to give the reader a few facts. In Earlene Roberts Warren Commission testimony she states that the Police car had 2 uniformed officers in it, Tippit was alone in Car 10 on 11/22/63. At approximately the time Earlene Roberts states this event happened we have at least 2 witnesses at the Top 10 Record Shop that state Tippit was in the shop at that time. Many of the researchers that theorized that Tippit drove by the rooming house and honked the horn were unfamiliar with the Top 10 Record Shop witnesses, or wrote their theories before these interviews were conducted and made available. Using the best information we have at this time it is highly improbable that Tippit performed the horn honking event since he was at a different location 1.2 miles away with a travel time of 6 minutes and a Tippit travel time of three to four minutes.

Warren Report Testimony of Earlene Roberts.

Earlene Roberts: Right direct in front of that door-there was a police car stopped and honked. I had worked for some policemen and sometimes they come by and tell me something that maybe their wives would want me to know, and I thought it was them, and I just glanced out and saw the number, and I said, "Oh, that's not their car," for I knew their car.

Joseph Ball: You mean, it was not the car of the policemen you knew?

Earlene Roberts: It wasn't the police car I knew, because their number was 170 and it wasn't 170 and I ignored it.

Joseph Ball: And who was in the car?

Earlene Roberts: I don't know - I didn't pay any attention to it after I noticed it wasn't them - I didn't.

Joseph Ball: Where was it parked ?

Earlene Roberts: It was parked in front of the house.

Joseph Ball: At 1026 North Beckley?

Earlene Roberts: And then they just eased on - the way it is-it was the third house off of Zangs and they just went on around the corner that way.

Joseph Ball: Went around what corner?

Earlene Roberts: Went around the corner off of Beckley on Zangs...

Joseph Ball: You remembered the number of the car ?

Earlene Roberts: I think it was - 106, it seems to me like it was 106, but I do know what theirs was - it was 170 and it wasn't their car.

Warren Report, Chapter VI, page 253.

The possibility that accomplices aided Oswald in connection with his escape was suggested by the testimony of Earlene Roberts., the housekeeper at the 1026 North Beckley roominghouse.88 She testified that at about 1 p.m. on November 22, after Oswald had returned to the roominghouse, a Dallas police car drove slowly by the front. of the 1026 North Beckley premises and stopped momentarily; she said she heard its horn several times. 89 Mrs. Roberts stated that the occupants of the car were not known to her even though she had worked for some policemen who would occasionally come by.90 She said the policeman she knew drove car No. 170 and that this was not the number on the police car that honked on November 22. She testified that she first thought the car she saw was No. 106 and then said that it was No. 107.91 In an FBI interview she had stated that she looked out the front window and saw police car No. 207. 92 Investigation has not produced any evidence that there was a police vehicle in the area of 1026 North Beckley at about 1 p.m. on November 22.93 Squad car 207 was at the Texas School Book Depository Building, as was car 106. Squad cars 170 and 107 were sold in April 1963 and their numbers were not reassigned until February 1964.94

Now from Craig B. Hulet:

"Culligan goes on to describe that there were ten more agents active in the Dallas area to act as cover up to the work of the first team of ten [six shooters and four drivers]. Their job as described by Bud Culligan, was to create chaos, and misdirection within the Secret Service and the Dallas Police. The Dallas police cars, two of them, were manned by two of these team members."

I think it's fair to assume, based upon the above information, that it wasn't Tippit's car which honked in front of Oswald's boardinghouse, which was number 10 [attached photo]. Earlene may have been confused, but all of her numbers contain three numerals. Drenas establishes Tippit as being 1.2 miles away. I believe I read someplace that he had personally insisted that his partner call in sick, and was solo that day - which was not the norm.

Culligan's information is interesting, and would go a long way to providing illumination into the mystery of the Tippit murder and possible Oswald involvement/role, with his suggestion of 2 DPD cars having been used in the operation. Might it have been cars 170 and 107? Is it possible Earlene saw car 107?

Additional speculation and miscellaneous asides

A hypothesis could be drawn that one of the retired DPD vehicles, containing operatives [who were most likely present in Dealey Plaza earlier], was to have then picked up Oswald and a) dropped him at the Texas Theatre to meet his contact, whom would have somehow gotten him into Cuba to seal the 'Castro did it' scenario - but things fell apart - thanks to Johnny Brewer and a hastily issued APB with Oswald's description. Or, :rolleyes: alternatively, the Texas Theatre scenario may not have happened at all, and Oswald would have been 'handled' in another manner. Why go to all the trouble to pick up Oswald just to drop him off somewhere in Downtown Dallas?

John Martino's bizarre comment, in 'Cuba and the Kennedy Assassination.'

http://cuban-exile.com/doc_226-250/doc0237.html

Had Oswald managed to escape to Cuba, the liberal press and the Establishment could have placed the entire blame for the murder of the President, not on America's Communist enemies, but on those who love this country and wish to preserve its institutions and its heritage.

Was that part of the botched plan John? B)

Also worth adding is the discovery of 'Badgeman' by Jack White and Gary Mack, an individual which provides significant confirmation of a Policeman's disguise worn by at least one, if not two [the 'as yet unconfirmed' Gordon Arnold account], of the operatives present on the knoll during the action. A phony cop in a retired cop car on a day when [Decker?] has to get resources from outside of Dallas to fill-in for the security required of a President's visit. Would it not blend right in?

Warren Report, Chapter 2:

Once the Trade Mart had been selected, Sorrels and Lawson worked out detailed arrangements for security at the building. In addition to the preventive measures already mentioned, they provided for controlling access to the building, closing off and policing areas around it, securing the roof and insuring the presence of numerous police officers inside and around the building. Ultimately more than 200 law enforcement officers, mainly Dallas police but including 8 Secret Service agents, were deployed in and around the Trade Mart.30

More than 200? How many officers did Dallas employ in 1963? Enough to have Olsen on disability and Tilson off-duty, apparently.

What movie theatre did Kay Coleman go to with her kids that afternoon after sitting in the car with Harry Olsen? The Texas Theatre would have been the closest? Was there another theatre in Dallas in November of 1963? Would they have been playing children oriented films on a school day at 1:00pm?

Mr. SPECTER. And you made a telephone call from the house that Mr. Olsen was guarding?

Mrs. OLSEN. Yes.

Mr. SPECTER. What did you do after that?

Mrs. OLSEN. I went home.

Mr. SPECTER. At about what time did you make that telephone call?

Mrs. OLSEN. Oh, I guess it was around 1:15. The President was killed at 1 o'clock, wasn't he?

Mr. SPECTER. 12:30.

Mrs. OLSEN. Well, I must have got there a little before that, then, because I didn't hear it until I sat in the car with Harry.

Mr. SPECTER. Well, didn't some lady tell you about it at the 7-11 store?

Mrs. OLSEN. Well, she said the President had been shot; that's what she said.

Mr. SPECTER. Then what is your best recollection about when you left that house?

Mrs. OLSEN. Oh, I guess about 1:30. So I must have called about 1:15.

Mr. SPECTER. Then where did you go next?

Mrs. OLSEN. I was going to take the girls to the show.

Mr. SPECTER. What show?

Mrs. OLSEN. I didn't know.

Mr. SPECTER. Some movie?

Mrs. OLSEN. Yes; a movie. And, well, I didn't; I wasn't in the mood to sit in a movie, you know, and I really can't remember.

Was it 'War is Hell,' and were the kids really with you? Was Kathy Coleman pregnant at the time?

Harry Olsen was in Oak Cliff at the time of the assassination. This map is a great tool and resource.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/tippit2.gif

As per Ian Griggs interview with Shari Angel, it was Jack Ruby that ran Harry Olsen's legs over, while ice skating.

http://www.jfklink.com/articles/Shari.html

IAN: I'd like to go back to Harry Olsen briefly, Shari. Earlier on today, at a presentation here at the ASK conference, you mentioned how Harry Olsen got the injury to his leg that prevented him being on duty the day that President Kennedy was killed. Would you tell me again how he sustained that leg injury.

SHARI: Err - Jack Ruby ran over him with a pair of hockey skates on out at Fair Park ice arena. We were all out there ice skating and he broke Harry's leg.

IAN: This was an accident? This wasn't deliberate?

SHARI: Oh no, Jack didn't mean it.

IAN: How long before the assassination was this?

SHARI: Right soon.

IAN: Okay. And it was because of that, obviously, Harry was off duty on the 22nd of November.

SHARI: With a broken leg.

Too many coincidences. Harry and Kay spend a late evening driving by DP, and hanging out with Jack Ruby. Did anyone ever learn who Johnny was? Kay [who works for Ruby at the time at the Carousel] says Ruby was only over her place once or twice and never alone. She doesn't exactly even know where he lives.

Harry doesn't help her with his responses, at all.

Warren Report:

Mr SPECTER. Where did Mr. Ruby live in the fall of 1963, say September of 1963, if you know?

Mr OLSEN. He lived on Ewing.

Mr SPECTER. Do you recall----

Mr OLSEN. Right at Stemmons Freeway.

Mr SPECTER. How far was that from Kay's house?

Mr OLSEN. Approximately 4 or 5 blocks.

Mr SPECTER. How far was Mr. Ruby's residence from your residence?

Mr OLSEN. Oh, boy. Oh, it was, I would guess, 2 or 3 miles.

Mr SPECTER. Did you ever live only 1 block away from Mr. Ruby's residence?

Mr OLSEN. No, sir.

Mr SPECTER. Did Jack Ruby ever visit you at your apartment?

Mr OLSEN. No, sir.

Mr SPECTER. Did Jack Ruby ever visit Kay at her apartment?

Mr OLSEN. Yes, sir.

Mr SPECTER. How many times did he visit Kay at her apartment?

Mr OLSEN. I don't know.

Mr SPECTER. Could you give me an approximation?

Mr OLSEN. Oh, seven or eight times.

Mr SPECTER. Were you always present on those occasions?

Mr OLSEN. No, sir.

What was the make, model, color and year of Andrews car? Did it match the APB? Would Tippit have pulled Andrews over because of the radio dispatch? Did the radio say to look inbetween the seats?

Note: I tried contacting Bill Drenas, but his email address must have been changed. I don't know who Bill Pulte is, and the James A. Andrews currently living in Dallas is only 21 years old.

Again, taken from Bill Drenas 'Car 10 where are you.'

This information is provided by Greg Lowrey by way of Bill Pulte. James A. Andrews worked for American National Life Insurance whose offices were located across the street from Austin’s Barbecue. Greg Lowrey was interviewing Andrews to get recollections of Roscoe White who worked out of the same office as Andrews. During the interview Andrews told Greg “Since you are interested in the assassination, let me tell you something that happened” and told the following story. James A. Andrew’s was returning to work at his office in Oak Cliff a little after 1:00 P.M. on 11/22/63. He was driving west on West 10th Street (about eight or nine blocks from where Tippit was shot minutes later, see map). Suddenly a police car also traveling west on West 10th Street came up from behind Andrews’ car, passed him and cut in front of Andrews’s car forcing him to stop. The police car pulled in front of Andrews’ car at an angle heading into the curb in order to stop him. The officer then jumped out of the patrol car motioned to Andrews to remain stopped, ran back to Andrews’ car, and looked in the space between the front seat and the back seat. Without saying a word the policeman went back to the patrol car and then drove off quickly. Andrews was perplexed by this strange behavior and looked at the officer’s nameplate, which read “Tippit” (Tippit was wearing his nameplate on 11/22/63. This is documented in a list of personal effects removed from his body at the time of death. Source: Dallas Municipal Archives) Andrews remarked that Tippit seemed to be very upset and agitated and was acting wild.

One other interesting aside is the woman who claimed to have had her front bumper tapped by Tippit's car, as he backed up in a hurry. From Bill Drenas 'Car 10 where are you.'

Dallas radio personality Kevin McCarthy had a number of talk shows dealing with the assassination in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Bill Pulte heard this broadcast and repeated the following to me from memory.

A man called into the radio program and told this story. “My girlfriend told me something that might be important about the Tippit murder. She was driving east on 10th Street behind a police car; she was some distance behind it. The officer in the police car hit his brakes quickly and backed the car up very fast. The woman hit her brakes but could not stop completely and bumped the rear of the police car. She said “Oh no” to herself because she hit the police car and thought that the officer was going to be upset and give her a ticket, but the officer did not pay any attention to her. She backed up went around the police car and drove on her way. Later she recalled that the location where this happened was exactly where Tippit’s car was when he was killed, and she realized that she had bumped Tippit’s car.”

Bill Pulte said that “the caller sounded excited and completely unrehearsed, and the call seemed spontaneous” The caller said that his girlfriend refused to come forward with her story because she did not want to get involved.

In reviewing Barnes Exhibit C we notice that Tippit’s squad car is not parked parallel with the curb. The rear of the squad car is near the curb but the front end of the car is 2 to 3 feet away from the curb. Also an examination of Commission Exhibit 523 and Barnes Exhibit D shows that the final position of Tippit’s car was directly in front of the driveway between 404 and 410 East Tenth Street. Could it be possible that Tippit saw something or someone between the houses at 404 and 410 East Tenth Street, hit the brakes quickly and then backed up his car in a hurry? This could explain why his car was parked at an angle, and it fits the events as were reported on the Kevin McCarthy Show.

Good questions.

Hi Lee,

Regarding that list of Culligan victims, Artime died in 1975 not 1965 and Varona died in 1992 not 1965.

Thanks James!

I was actually thinking to go through the list one at a time. Many of them seem suspect, including Nasser [health complications] and even Lumumba [not a solo job].

Why on earth would you take on the CIA and use those three names as your leverage for compensation if they were still living and breathing? Unless it was a bluff? That these three men were in fact in charge of the Anti-Castro groups from which the shooters were selected, and Culligan was making it clear that he would divulge - a threat? That's as far as my thinking takes me. Otherwise he was insane. Seems like a very similar case as that of Richard C. Nagell.

Awesome photo. Seems to make the young girl's story credible anyway.

Anyone have an idea as to whether not Culligan is still alive?

- lee

Pure speculation but I had once suggested to Mark Howell that the conspiracy could have gone so far as to create a fake Dallas police car. If false police uniforms and false secret service credentials were being used, why not a false DPD police car as well?

Lee,

concerning the Tippit shooting there is another interesting statement from Bill Drenas.

Professor Bill Pulte related to me the following story. Bill was interviewing an individual who had lived in the neighborhood Tippit was killed since the early 1960s. The interviewee spoke on the condition that his identity would remain confidential; Bill Pulte informs me that his information on other points was very accurate. They talked about many things concerning the Tippit shooting and the individual told Bill “If you are planning to do more research on Tippit, you should find out about a fight that took place at 12th and Marsalis a few minutes before Tippit was killed.”

To this day any additional details about this fight are not known. Could Tippit have observed a fight and watched one or more of the participants take off in an automobile or by foot? Could someone have stopped Tippit’s squad car and told them about a fight? Could Tippit himself have been involved in a fight? These are questions that we may never find the answers to.

Has anybody ever heard of this fight, beside the above mentioned source?

George

Lee,

Could it be possible that Tippit saw something or someone between the houses at 404 and 410 East Tenth Street, hit the brakes quickly and then backed up his car in a hurry?

Supposedly, the driveway between these two houses connected to the alley in the back. I'm sorry, I can't remember where I read this, but one or more witnesses at the Tippit shooting, who were not among the official witnesses listed or interviewed by the Warren Commission said that another Dallas Police car was coming down that driveway, and when Tippit drove by, the other police car backed up and left by the alley.

Steve Thomas

Lee,
Could it be possible that Tippit saw something or someone between the houses at 404 and 410 East Tenth Street, hit the brakes quickly and then backed up his car in a hurry?

Supposedly, the driveway between these two houses connected to the alley in the back. I'm sorry, I can't remember where I read this, but one or more witnesses at the Tippit shooting, who were not among the official witnesses listed or interviewed by the Warren Commission said that another Dallas Police car was coming down that driveway, and when Tippit drove by, the other police car backed up and left by the alley.

Steve Thomas

Thanks Steve!

That is truly amazing. And not hard at all to believe. As per the records, if I remember correctly: a. Tippit wasn't assigned to be in the Oak Cliff area, and b. there was no DPD car registered to be in that area either.

Speculation: Maybe this was part of a plan to allow a false DPD car drive unquestioned about Dallas, as per Tim's comment?

Wish we knew the make and model of the car driven by James A. Andrews. I think this would be very helpful info.

It would be great to try and run down that reference! Most of the leads I try to chase down end up being too late. <_<

- lee

Lee,

Summary on Culligan

Holland [identified elsewhere as Lt. Gen. Clay Odum] would call, either by phone or letter memo.

I did a google search on General Clay Odum and came up totally blank. There apparently is nothing on the web, not even a biography put out by the military.

That makes me highly suspicious.

Steve Thomas

Lee,

Summary on Culligan

Holland [identified elsewhere as Lt. Gen. Clay Odum] would call, either by phone or letter memo.

I did a google search on General Clay Odum and came up totally blank. There apparently is nothing on the web, not even a biography put out by the military.

That makes me highly suspicious.

Steve Thomas

Hi Steve - I searched google - general clay odom jfk

with the jfk at the end, I came up with 250 results

Quoted from Steve above.....

Steve Thomas

In Jan, I posted this and decided to repeat it, in case some didn't read it. It is from JFK/DPQ and also from Harrison Livingstone's,

"The Radical Right and the Murder of John F Kennedy"...(2004)

Dixie

A woman, by the name of Mrs. Doris Holan, lived at 409 E Tenth Street, She lived upstairs directly across the street and her windows looked directly on Tippit's Patrol car and the murder scene. Mrs Holan has been an unreported witness all these years.

Yet she was dying of terminal cancer and talked to Dallas Researcher Michael Brownlow prior to her death in 2000. She met with Brownlow twice and once accompanied with reseracher Prof. BIll Pulte. Mrs Holan had just returned home from her job that morning, a few minutes after 1:00, then she heard gun shots. She hurried to her window and saw Tippit's patrol car, across the street and parked in front of the driveway between 404 and 410 E. Tenth Sreet. Tippit was lying on the street, near the left front of the car. She saw a man leaving the scene, moving westward towards Patton.

Mrs Holan also noticed something else that had not previously, ever been reported. A second police car in the driveway, which went all the way back to the alley, moving forward slowly towards Tippit's car on Tenth. Near the police car she also saw a man in the driveway walking toward the street where Tippit was parked.

She went downstairs at once and over to Tippit. The man in the driveway continued to the street, walked in front of Tippit's patrol car, paused and looked down at Tippit's head, and retraced his path up the driveway. At the same time, the police car changed direction and backed up in the driveway to the alley running parallel to Tenth, behind the houses on 404 and 410.

In 1963, the driveway could be entered from the alley from the rear, as well as from Tenth. Because Tippit's car was parked in front of the Tenth Street entrance, the alley provided the only passage from the driveway for the driver of the police car.

Mrs. Holan's account of a second police car is supported by the comments of Sam Guinyard, who told Brownlow in 1970 that he saw a police car in the alley shortly after the police shooting. The man in the driveway was apparently also seen by others: a resident of the neighborhood, who wishes to remain anonymous, told Prof Pulte, in 1990, that he had heard about a man in the driveway who approached Tippit's car.

Another thought...Earlene Roberts saw a police car stop and honk in front of the boarding house on 1026 N Beckley, where LHO lived.... at around 1:03.

Tippit was shot at around 1:10 to 1:16 at the latest. This could possibly have been the police car she saw.

Dixie

Steve,

Sorry - in the margin of the Hulet report, there is a note:

We later found the correct spelling of Gen Clay to be Odom.

- lee

search of the NARA JFK Archive.

AGENCY : HSCA

RECORD NUMBER : 180-10140-10032

RECORDS SERIES : AUDIOCASSETTES AND OTHER SOUND RECORDINGS COLLECTED BY

THE JFK...

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 014398

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : HSCA

TO : [No To]

TITLE : BUD CULLIGAN CASE

DATE : 09/19/1976

PAGES : 3

DOCUMENT TYPE : AUDIOCASSETTE

SUBJECTS : CULLIGAN, BUD; KENNEDY, JOHN, ASSASSINATION; FARRELL,

CHRIS; MR. X; CIA; PASTOR, BOB; RODDICK, TOM

CLASSIFICATION : UNCLASSIFIED

RESTRICTIONS : OPEN IN FULL

CURRENT STATUS : OPEN

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 07/17/1995

COMMENTS : Tape 1: 59 mins. Tape 2: 60 mins. Tape 3: 34 mins.

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/jfk/jfk_search.html