The Education Forum

James Noel and Alan Robert Nye

Fabian Escalante claims that James Noel was involved in the Operation 40. Does anyone know anything about him? What about Alan Robert Nye, the ex-marine recruited in Fort Lauderdale to kill Castro in 1958?

http://www.axisoflogic.com/artman/publish/...cle_17881.shtml

John,

James Noel aka Tim Noble was an Agency employee. He was Rolando Cubela's case officer.

Harry Dean knows about Alan Robert Nye. Hopefully Harry will read this and comment.

James

James Noel aka Tim Noble, if he was Rolando Cubela's case officer, would have been a principle in the AM/LASH program........

Fabian Escalante claims that James Noel was involved in the Operation 40. Does anyone know anything about him? What about Alan Robert Nye, the ex-marine recruited in Fort Lauderdale to kill Castro in 1958?

John,

James Noel aka Tim Noble was an Agency employee. He was Rolando Cubela's case officer.

Harry Dean knows about Alan Robert Nye. Hopefully Harry will read this and comment.

James

Edited by Shanet Clark

John,

James

Hi,

James you are welcome to relate any info. given by me re; Alan Robert Nye.

Harry

James you are welcome to relate any info. given by me re; Alan Robert Nye. (Harry Dean)

Thanks, Harry.

Nye was one time an Officer of the U.S. Navy. He was sent in to Cuba at the behest of the FBI to whack Castro but was captured by rebel troops.

As a good will gesture, Fidel let him go. There is some contradictory information about Nye whether or not he was a mercenary, a professional assassin or in the full employ of the FBI.

Nye currently lives in Whiting, Indiana. I wrote to him some time ago but he has yet to reply.

James

I'd sure like to talk to him. Thanks James and Harry for more on these operators in Cuba.

Do either of you have scans of articles about Nye? Another mystery in a pile of 'em.

I may have something scanned from a periodical but James you're more organized so I'll ask first (wink)

So, why does Escalante make such a big deal about him, you think?

Edited by Chris Cox

Hi Christy,

I too have an article on him stashed away amongst boxes of paperwork. I have not scanned this material yet but I will have a hunt around and see what I can find.

As to Escalante's motives, I can speculate it was to highlight the supposed goodwill gesture from Castro - the boss not being as evil as everyone wants to make out. :D

James

I'd sure like to talk to him. Thanks James and Harry for more on these operators in Cuba.

Do either of you have scans of articles about Nye?    Another mystery in a pile of 'em.

I may have something scanned from a periodical but James you're more organized so I'll ask first (wink)

So, why does Escalante make such a big deal about him, you think?

Hi, Chris

Whiting, Indiana is a small suburb on the southeast end of Chicago, Illinois. Here is where I lived, and met Nye in 1959 just after his return from Cuba. I was yet then on the Castro team as Ike had not yet cut off relations with Castro. Naturally I pointed out the location of Nye, in Whiting, to my associates if the 26th Of July Movement and the Fair Play For Cuba Committee in Chicago. They showed little interest as Castro had allowed the release of Nye after finding him guilty in a plan to kill Castro. I talked with Nye as a fellow home town person. Nye was a rather skinny person likely resulting from his time in a Cuban prison prior to being booted out of Cuba forever. Nye and I had the same Whiting attorney from whom I learned it had cost $100.000 ? to arrange Nye's release.

My estimate of Nye was that he was like many of ' our kind ' on one or another or both sides of events that draged us ever deeper into adventures for whatever our reasoning, or inspiration and motivation. The following year 1960, I entered Cuba on the side of U.S. Intelligence, with solid Cuban credentials.

Harry

Let me see if I have this right, Harry. please correct me--you are reporting on Nye (FBI in Cuba) as part of work for FBI (domestically) ? They aren't interested these groups (I assume to serve in similar capacity as Martino?) and you find that he was ransomed (by whom?) and released. Have to look it up but over which months does this whole Nye episode occur? Where did he serve time in Cuba?

Why do you think FEF would bring him up years later at JFK conference as poster child of counterrev? considering the ransom (graft?). Escalante mentions this one incident out of many, many both our countries are fully aware of. All one has to do is pick up papers and see missions were abundant to aid rebel cause and foil a possible communist from taking power--at same time. State dept. was complimentary to brothers Castro whilst operators were flooding Havana from 1958 working for either or both sides which you've pointed out. All predating JFK.

Where was Nye in his mil career (active duty? reserves?) during this time US was aiding rebels? Thanks fellows. Sometimes the little stories are most helpful.

Let me see if I have this right, Harry.  please correct me--you are reporting on Nye (FBI in Cuba) as part of work for FBI (domestically) ?  They aren't interested these groups (I assume to serve in similar capacity as Martino?) and you find that he was ransomed (by whom?) and released.  Have to look it up but over which months does this whole Nye episode occur?  Where did he serve time in Cuba? 

Why do you think FEF would bring him up years later at JFK conference as  poster child of counterrev?  considering the ransom (graft?).  Escalante mentions this one incident out of many, many both our countries are fully aware of.  All one has to do is pick up papers and see missions were abundant to aid rebel cause and foil a possible communist from taking power--at same time. State dept. was complimentary to brothers Castro whilst operators were flooding Havana from 1958 working for either or both sides which you've pointed out.  All predating JFK.

Where was Nye in his mil career (active duty?  reserves?)  during this time US was aiding rebels?  Thanks fellows.  Sometimes the little stories are most helpful.

Hi, Chris

My 1959 report on Nye was to fellow pro-Castro associates. It was not

until American/Cuban relations suddenly changed that I was interviewed by

FBI {Chicago} and faced possible federal indictment as an unregistered agent of

a foriegn government,{Cuba} re; my connection to Castro's Network in the U.S. the FPCC Committee,and The 26th Of July Movement. I then began advising FBI.

It was The 26th and FPCC that were no longer interested in Nye as Castro had

freed him. The money paid for his release was likely considered legal costs?.

Nye's problem ran from 1958 when he was captured in Cuba until 1959. He was in

prison and sentenced to be shot, I do not know what lockup he was held in. Nye

said he was U.S. Navy reserve officer?

Harry

If my memory serves me, Noel was the CIA Chief in Cuba after Castro gained power. As such, he was probably involved in the recruitment of men like Sturgis and Hemming. I believe it was Nestor Sanchez who was Cubela's case officer. Sanchez would go on to high-profile jobs in the State Department, I believe. I've been traveling so I don't have access to my books, but I remember noting the irony that the U.S. would reward a man for his efforts in killing our latin neighbors, by making him a high-ranking official representative to our other latin neighbors.

Pat is correct that Nestor Sanchez was Cubela's case officer. He used the alias Sansone. (Hector as first name alias if memory serves me.) Per Evan Thomas' "The Very Best Men". (Robert Charles-Dunne will not believe this unless I can produce a copy of Sanchez's birth certificate and driver's license.)

It was Sanchez who delivered the poison pen to Cubela on November 22, 1963.

One of alan weberman's nodules had the subsequent history of Sanchez.

I think Pat is also correct re James Noel (not the first Noel).

Shanet is wrong (gramatically) about Noel being a "principle"; principle spelled that way refers to a belief or credo. When a person is important to an operation, he or she is a principal of it, e.g. the principal in a school, or a principal in a business enterprise. John, for instance, is a principal in this web-site.

The easy way I was taught to remember the distinction is that a person can be a "pal" but an idea cannot. Therefore, a principal refers to a person but a principle does not.

Some would say that while the CIA had principals it had no principles.

Edited by Tim Gratz

The reference I used for Noel being Cubela's case officer came from Hinkle and Turner's 'The Fish Is Red'.

FWIW.

James

I'm wondering if Cubela wasn't initially recruited by Noel when he was in Havana, and then handed off to Sanchez, who actually met with him in Spain. I think all references to Sanchez are in the last fifteen years or so, post The Fish is Red.

I'm wondering if Cubela wasn't initially recruited by Noel when he was in Havana, and then handed off to Sanchez, who actually met with him in Spain. I think all references to Sanchez are in the last fifteen years or so, post The Fish is Red. (Pat Speer)

Could be, Pat.

I seem to remember Noel running Cubela during a 1965 plot to kill Castro. Manuel Artime was also involved and he was run by Hunt. I believe Noel and Hunt despised each other which would have made for a pleasant working environment.

James