The Education Forum

Is this Pakse Base Man?

Several months ago there was discussion regarding the possibility that a man present at the Pakse Base in Laos during the so-called secret war, was also present in Dealey Plaza during the assassination.

Some time and effort was put in by several researchers in finding out who this man was. After much frustration, I was finally able to contact one of the Hmong pilots who claimed the man at Pakse was CIA heavyweight James Bill Lair.

More time was required to secure an image of Lair as a young man. Anyway, I present the comparisons here. Unfortunately, I was not able to get a photograph of Lair circa 1960's. The Hmong pilot (now living in the United States) who wishes to remain anonymous, was adament that it was Lair.

If Pakse Base Man is indeed Lair, then he is not the man in Dealey Plaza.

BTW, Lair was responsible for recruiting Tony Poshepny aka Tony Poe. Lair was also responsible for training the Hmong in becoming pilots.

FWIW.

James

James,

Thanks for the info and photos. Why do you say that if Pakse Base Man is Lair, he could not have been in Dealey Plaza? Is that based on evidence as to where Lair was?

While the young Lair resembles PBM, PBM's resemblance to the man on the DP lamp post remains very striking.

Ron

James,

Thanks for the info and photos. Why do you say that if Pakse Base Man is Lair, he could not have been in Dealey Plaza? Is that based on evidence as to where Lair was?

While the young Lair resembles PBM, PBM's resemblance to the man on the DP lamp post remains very striking.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your response. During the time of the assassination, Lair was heavily involved with recruiting and training the Hmong for their guerrilla war. He had his hands more than full dealing with this difficult task.

In my conversations with the Hmong pilot, he stated that at the time of the assassination, Lair was in Laos when the news came through. Apparently the CIA case officers present in Laos at the time, which included a guy by the name of Pat Landry, were hit hard by the events of Dallas.

You are correct though, PBM and the man in Dallas bear a striking similarity.

James

The Pakse Base scenario still makes sense, although James is very much to be congratulated on following up and challenging his own earlier leads.

The possibility of the Dealey Plaza assassins have strong links to US Indo -Chinese paramilitary squads, and specifically being "hidden" in Laos after 11/22/63 is reasonable.

Since the two spotter teams, the Umbrella / Dark Complected Man team and the team in position next to EMMETT HUDSON, haave never come forward or been identified, I find it useful to closely compare thier images with military assassination and paramilitary figures seen in greater Vietnam in the mid 1960's.

We may never know for sure if RIP ROBERTSON, LUCIEN CONEIN and JAMES MCCORD were in Dealey Plaza, but examining the surviving evidence with a critical mind is certainly worthwhile and thought provoking...........

In the comparison below, I have added dark glasses to the photo of the older Lair. I have also found 2 more images, both coming from the early 1950's. In the group shot, Lair is the one in the middle standing.

I am not trying to push a point here but I believe the Laos connection is important to the assassination and we need to have some clarity as to who was who.

Lots of people have emailed me to say that PBM is not Lair. I hope these folks reconsider and have another look. If anyone is really motivated regarding this angle, there are still solid avenues to follow. Several of the Hmong pilots are now living in the United States and although they don't seek publicity, some of them have an insider's perspective on people like Lair, Ted Shackley, Tony Poshepny and why Shackley brought in David Morales to be base chief.

FWIW.

James

Edited by James Richards

I cant put my finger on it ,but ive seen the guy in the top left hand corners face before. maybe its an actor or someone I know that looks like him, but im sure that ive seen that face before.

You're probably thinking of the same person I am, a blonde actor who played villains with a crooked smile back in the 1950s. I don't know his name.

Ron

I cant put my finger on it ,but ive seen the guy in the top left hand corners face before. maybe its an actor or someone I know that looks like him, but im sure that ive seen that face before.

You're probably thinking of the same person I am, a blonde actor who played villains with a crooked smile back in the 1950s. I don't know his name.

Ron

Richard Widmark?

"Richard Widmark?"

No. I don't think this guy ever played a lead role. He was strictly your supporting villain. And to look at him was to hate him.

Ron

Eureka. The actor's name was Lyle Bettger. This is the only photo I found, but a lot of you should recognize him:

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_ar...?ai=3576&si=122

Ron

• 2 years later...

James,

You wrote here that:

"Lots of people have emailed me to say that PBM is not Lair. I hope these folks reconsider and have another look. If anyone is really motivated regarding this angle, there are still solid avenues to follow. Several of the Hmong pilots are now living in the United States and although they don't seek publicity, some of them have an insider's perspective on people like Lair, Ted Shackley, Tony Poshepny and why Shackley brought in David Morales to be base chief."

(1) What did the Hmong pilots tell you about Ted Shackley? How about Tony Po?

(2) What perspective did they give you about why Shackley assigned Dave Morales to Pakse?

(3) Would you please repost the pictures referenced in this post?

Thanks,

Steve