The Education Forum

Headshot Theory

I did a bit of looking at the headshot, as many have. I find that there is some pretty compelling stuff to indicate that there may have been no shot from the front - instead, as per the 'jet effect,' that the back and to the left movement seen in the Zapruder film, is actually the result of the secondary effect of a bullet smashing into Kennedy's head from behind, and exploding outwards upon it's exit in the temple area. Kennedy's head dips forward slightly as his skull absorbs the impact of the round. The bullet is most likely some form of frangible round, which explodes upon impact [leaving a trace which would have been found throughout the remaining brain matter, which accounts for the swapped/missing brain]. The next movement is in reaction to the burst, or exploding material jettisoning forward, which then drives the head backwards.

Some info which I have found useful in supporting this theory includes, but is not limited, to the following:

- Ken Rahn's work.

- Groden's TKOAP sketches of the wound, especially the angle of the damage.

- The trajectory assumed by RB Cutler in his plat for z312 [west window of the TSBD]

- The trajectory of the flight path taken by the Harper fragment, as per Don Roberdeau's plat [The Harper fragment flew a full 20 feet ahead of the Lincoln at the time of impact].

- The indication of a trace of lead on the harper fragment [thanks to Gerry Greenstone]

- The trajectories of the various pieces of other skull fragments [again Don Roberdeau's plat is an excellent source]

- The small dip of the head seen in the Zapruder film, and the position of Kennedy's head in z312/z313.

- The testimony of Bill Newman.

- The lack of witness identification or testimony from the group immediately in front of the man [see attached] behind the wall in Croft.

There's more, but this is a good start. The implication is that there may have been more than one patsy for the 6th floor of the TSBD. The trajectory of such a shot is a very odd coincidence, if it was indeed taken from this area.

It's also hard to imagine not having some shooters positioned at the street level, and depending solely upon office building shooters to do the job.

Attached below is an interesting enlargement of a small section of one of the Croft photos which has driven some of the theory.

One weakness with this theory is the presence of the Chisms on the sidewalk at Elm. The proposed trajectory would have come too close to their position [using Roberdeau's plat] - I would imagine the resulting bow shock would have knocked them to the ground.

- lee

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interpolated and slightly enhanced, with some color shading added.

Lee,

I have posted on here and Lancer several times refuting a rear entry and explaining my stance on a frontal impact. I use the test skulls from Dr. Lattimer and the WC test skulls as proof against them on rear impact. I also use a ballistic geletin block to show sustained velocity within the cavity from a FMJ bullet which is the only realistic approach, IMHO of how the headwound occurred. I have tried to attach them here in response to your post but it will not allow them.

If you would like to see the photos and discuss this further, please e-mail me at:

polinst@mchsi.com

Al

Thanks Al.

I appreciate the insight. I took another look at the fragments and their various trajectories and flight paths - I think there's a good case for 'the last 2 shots coming very close together.' If you follow the path of the Harper fragment, it takes you back to the area I have illustrated. However, if you follow the Brehm fragment, which seems to have been the next larger fragment to fly in a different and further direction, it leads directly back to the GKS position on the knoll.

It's a puzzle for sure - but IMO, I don't think a rear entry to the occiput can simply be ruled out.

I thought it was Lattimer's conclusion that it was a rear entry?

FMJ - what about all of the various speculation and theories concerning a frangible round and it's impact? Would a FMJ leave traces of metallic residue throughout the cranium?

Hey - I'm out of my depth on the medical, and the ballistics, but I still feel that there is a good case for the Pergola Gardens being the origination of a shot fired to the rear of Kennedy's head - and the man seen if Croft doesn't appear to be there to take pictures.

From his original 11/22/63 affidavit, Bill Newman

I thought the shot had come from the garden directly behind me, that it was on an elevation from where I was as I was right on the curb. I do not recall looking toward the Texas School Book Depository. I looked back in the vacinity [sic] of the garden

- lee

Thanks Al.

I appreciate the insight.  I took another look at the fragments and their various trajectories and flight paths - I think there's a good case for 'the last 2 shots coming very close together.'  If you follow the path of the Harper fragment, it takes you back to the area I have illustrated.  However, if you follow the Brehm fragment, which seems to have been the next larger fragment to fly in a different and further direction, it leads directly back to the GKS position on the knoll.

It's a puzzle for sure - but IMO, I don't think a rear entry to the occiput can simply be ruled out. 

I thought it was Lattimer's conclusion that it was a rear entry?

FMJ - what about all of the various speculation and theories concerning a frangible round and it's impact?  Would a FMJ leave traces of metallic residue throughout the cranium? 

Hey - I'm out of my depth on the medical, and the ballistics, but I still feel that there is a good case for the Pergola Gardens being the origination of a shot fired to the rear of Kennedy's head - and the man seen if Croft doesn't appear to be there to take pictures.

From his original 11/22/63 affidavit, Bill Newman

I thought the shot had come from the garden directly behind me, that it was on an elevation from where I was as I was right on the curb. I do not recall looking toward the Texas School Book Depository. I looked back in the vacinity [sic] of the garden

- lee

DEAR LEE, He would have only had to turn to the right to get a throat wound with a weakened (no BOW wave) sabot shot.  THANKS STEVE GAAL

Hi Steve!

Still wrestling with that one. It's a tough sell. The people standing there would have felt the breeze of the round as it passed them. However, since none of them have even been indentified or testified....

There is something quite interesting, however. If you draw a line back along the Harper fragment path, accounting for the Chisms, to a point behind the wall, it could be said that someone in this location would have just had Kennedy emerge from behind the Thornton Expressway sign. Take that same location, and draw a line to where Don has z186 represented, and it is right before Kennedy would have passed behind a lamp post.

- lee

Ok Lee.

Lets see what we can do.

Robin,

Using z312, 1.2mb bitmap, interpolated to 56mb, cropped, slightly enhanced. Moment of impact with evidence of entry point to rear of head.

My favorite witness, Emmett Hudson:

I was trying to get a good look at President Kennedy. I happened to be looking right at him when that bullet hit him - the second shot.

Mr. LIEBELER - That was when the bullet hit him in the head; is that correct?

Mr. HUDSON - Yes; it looked like it hit him somewhere along about a little bit behind the ear and a little bit above the ear.

Mr. LIEBELER - On the right-hand side or the left-hand side?

Mr. HUDSON - Right hand.

- lee

Dr. Lattimer's skull test was his proof of a shot from the rear and it only proved that it could not occur. I will attempt to post it only to show this.

Let's keep in mind that all the damage was to the right side of the head. Impact and exit restricted to that region with the angle his head was facing shows only a flight path from left to right which would place the shot origin on the south end of the overpass/south knoll, as Sherry, myself and others have been showing.

The debris field within the skull cavity was minute in nature and was consistent with extrusions of lead out of the base of a FMJ bullet. An open based FMJ bullet will be squeezed upon impact such as this and the energy would compress the projectile and force the softer lead core out the base, leaving a trail of particles.

Al

Lattimer used a hollowed skull to show the rear entry and it showed cranial damage across to the right side of the skull, into the frontal. The WC test shots which I will try to attach utilized a filled skull and it was even worse as it took off the entire right side of the skull into the frontal and orbital.

Al

Dr. Lattimer's skull test was his proof of a shot from the rear and it only proved that it could not occur. I will attempt to post it only to show this.

Let's keep in mind that all the damage was to the right side of the head. Impact and exit restricted to that region with the angle his head was facing shows only a flight path from left to right which would place the shot origin on the south end of the overpass/south knoll, as Sherry, myself and others have been showing.

The debris field within the skull cavity was minute in nature and was consistent with extrusions of lead out of the base of a FMJ bullet. An open based FMJ bullet will be squeezed upon impact such as this and the energy would compress the projectile and force the softer lead core out the base, leaving a trail of particles.

Al

Al,

I've been intrigued with the South Knoll direction for quite some time now. It does a good job explaining certain aspects of the wound/event that other theories do not.

I've always been bothered by the angle of entry from the TSBD not leading to orbital/facial damage -- especially placing the entry wound there the WC has it. I've often felt that Z313, if it came from behind at all, came in at a much flatter angle. These angles cause problems, too. The SS car, with the agents on the board, might produce angle problems for many of rear-shot scenarios; moreso for lower angle variants (2nd floor Dal-Tex, etc).

The traditional GK position seems to explain the back+left motion, but the obvious lack of damage on the left hemisphere of JFK's skull creates obvious problems here, too.

The questions I have about South Knoll shots are twofold. Jackie leaned forward and at Z312/313, at least from Zapruder's angle, appears to block certain angles from the south. The second question is how the dent on the limo chrome can be explained.