The Education Forum

Winston Scott

Looking for information on Winston (Win) M. Scott before he went to Mexico in 1956(?).

As I understand it he was SSU station chief in London and had worked in the X-2 Section during the war.

Please fill me in on any additional information you might have come upon while researching this person (or add interesting tidbits that may be appropriate to the general discussion).

Jim Root

Winston Scott joined the Federal Bureau of Investigation as a young man and was sent to Havana, Cuba. During the Second World War Scott became a lieutenant commander in the United States Navy. After the war he served in the Office of Strategic Services and the Central Intelligence Agency. In 1947 became the CIA's first station chief in London.

John

Do you have further information about his duties during WWII?

Was he in London? Was he a member of X-2?

As I recall the OSS was disbanded as soon as the war was over. I have seen mention of him in the OSS so my thoughts tend to place him there concurrently with being assigned to or in the Navy. I guess my question is, was he stationed in Europe during the War?

Jim Root

John

Do you have further information about his duties during WWII?

Was he in London?  Was he a member of X-2?

As I recall the OSS was disbanded as soon as the war was over.  I have seen mention of him in the OSS so my thoughts tend to place him there concurrently with being assigned to or in the Navy.  I guess my question is, was he stationed in Europe during the War?

Jim Root

He spent some time at the WH Mexico City HQ and spoke rather freely about the Central Agency assassination programs being run in the 1960s in south and central america, am I correct?

John

I received this message from a person that I consider a very reliable source:

"Its possible. Win was the German desk of OSS X-2 in London in 1945 and then he was promoted to chief of X-2. If the operation had anything to do with Anglo-American counterintelligence in the European theater, Win probably knew about it."

You stated:

"After the war he served in the Office of Strategic Services and the Central Intelligence Agency. In 1947 became the CIA's first station chief in London."

Put together I can generate a few interesting questions:

1) What roll did Scott play in British American cooperation in Greece (where Thomas Karamessines was involved as was Edwin Walker)?

2) Did Scott play a roll in the development of NATO while CIA station chief in London (a roll was played by three future Warren Commissioners and John D. Hickerson, who would become the US Ambassador in Helsinki when Oswald enterd the Soviet Union)?

3) How closely did Scott and James Jesus Angleton work together during this period?

4) Was Scott involved with programs to interrogate and return/hold German POW's at the end of the war?

5) Was Win Scott involved in Operation Stella Polaris?

6) Who else can we tie together with Winston McKinley Scott?

Jim Root

• 1 year later...