The Education Forum

Assassination Chronology

Not sure if there has been posted before a link to this worthwhile chronology of events leading up to the assassination.

http://www.assassinationresearch.com/v2n1.html

As I recall from reading it a few months ago there are a few errors. Perhaps members could take a look and post any comments. It is quite comprehensive and worth your review.

Edited by Tim Gratz

Guest Stephen Turner

Tim, good resource material. The only slight problem I have after an admittedly quick scan is that Gary Underhill is listed as a CIA agent, Has this ever been proven,Mcadams rubbishes it and I tend to find he's usually good at exposing the wilder conspiracy claims.Its the stuff he wont touch that I find interesting :)

Edited by Stephen Turner

Thank you Tim, I'll review that over time. Looks interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to bring this to the top again.

In part because I find it a valuable resource. (I was today reviewing its discussion of witnesses who said Greer slowed the limousine when he heard the first shot. It also contains a statement of a tearful apology Greer made to Jackie at the hospital, ackowledging that he had erred in not immediately accelerating.)

I renew my question: can anyone spot any errors in it that merit correction?

Stephen wrote:

Tim, good resource material. The only slight problem I have after an admittedly quick scan is that Gary Underhill is listed as a CIA agent, Has this ever been proven,Mcadams rubbishes it and I tend to find he's usually good at exposing the wilder conspiracy claims.Its the stuff he wont touch that I find interesting

A very interesting (astute) observation about McAdams, Stephen.

I too question whether Underhill was truly a CIA agent. It would be better if Wood had disclosed the controversy re Underhill. It appears that Wood otherwise does his best to be "even-handed" but he clearly does NOT believe Oswald acted alone (and the information he provides certainly makes one seriously doubt if Oswald shot either JFK or Tippitt).

Guest Stephen Turner
Stephen wrote:

Tim, good resource material. The only slight problem I have after an admittedly quick scan is that Gary Underhill is listed as a CIA agent, Has this ever been proven,Mcadams rubbishes it and I tend to find he's usually good at exposing the wilder conspiracy claims.Its the stuff he wont touch that I find interesting

A very interesting (astute) observation about McAdams, Stephen.

I too question whether Underhill was truly a CIA agent.  It would be better if Wood had disclosed the controversy re Underhill.  It appears that Wood otherwise does his best to be "even-handed" but he clearly does NOT believe Oswald acted alone (and the information he provides certainly makes one seriously doubt if Oswald shot either JFK or Tippitt).

So, has it ever been proven just what Underhill's status was re CIA. :)

Those interested in Underhill might check the following:

RIF 104-10170 and 104-10180-10401

These documents are a) a CIA internal analysis of the Ramparts article

mentioning Underhill and :) an internal study of names sufaced during

the Garrison investigation to determine which one really offered an exposure to CIA operations. It was this internal investigation that confirmed that Clay Shaw was a domestic contacts informant (the list of such in the 50's was pretty huge).

The second memo states that Underhill was in military intelligence from 43-46 and became an expert in enemy weapons, photography and related technical specialities. It states that he was an infrequent contact with CIA Domestic Operations in their New York office, that the contacts were routine information collection and that he was not a CIA employee.

The first memo describes a staff citation for superior work in military intelligence during WWII. It gives more detail on his Domestic Contact stating that in 1949 the CIA contacts office in NYC became interested in using Underhill as a contact for foreign intelligence. Background checks with various military members of the intelligence community "yielded insufficient information" and the office was advised that contact with Underhill be developed "with caution" on a limited basis and no information above "confidential" was to be shared with him. In 1957 national agency checks were again requested on him because of interest by the Office of Security. The Office of Security reported in 1954 that Underhill had contacted one Herman Axelbank who was trying to sell photos of Soviet military subjects and Underhill had reported those contacts to both the FBI and CIA. Underhill discussed Axelbank with Ricky Haskins of CIA.

I looked for info on Underhill a while back, but never found anything that indicated what Underhill did for a living. Does anyone know? Perhaps we should start a list, beginning with Underhill and Albert Osborne, of people connected to the JFK assassination who had no visible means of support.

Ron

Ron, among other things Underhill worked as a free lance writer on security and international/and intelligence topics for the New Replublic, Esquire and Colliers. It was in his position for Colliers that he was approached by Axelbank offering to sell him the Soviet military photos - he reported that to the FBI and CIA.

It was his writing work and the contacts he made through it that made him of interest as a domestic contact for the CIA.

Although the CIA memos don't mention it I seem to recall that he also did consulting work for Civil Defense in the 1950's.

-- Larry

I looked for info on Underhill a while back, but never found anything that indicated what Underhill did for a living. Does anyone know? Perhaps we should start a list, beginning with Underhill and Albert Osborne, of people connected to the JFK assassination who had no visible means of support.

Ron

I have now started up a new thread onUnderhill. Could members please post about him on this thread:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4355

I renew my question:  can anyone spot any errors in it that merit correction?

There are plenty of them. Examples:

The 112th Military Intelligence Group was told to stand down rather than report to Dallas, over the protests of unit commander Reich. This myth, compliments of L. Fletcher Prouty, was totally discredited by the ARRB, in interviews of Reich and Prouty. See also Larry Hancock's research on the 112th in his "Keys to the Conspiracy" CD.

Joseph Milteer is reportedly photographed on Houston Street during the motorcade. The Secret Service determined that Milteer was at home on 11/22 (HSCA JFK Document 008814).

Geneva Hine observes the electrical power and telephone system go dead.

She did no such thing. She observed the little lights on the phones go off because nobody was using them.

Phil Willis photographs a man who looks like Ruby near the front of the TSBD.

The man is seen in other TSBD photos too, and he is obviously not Ruby.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Ron

Edited by Ron Ecker

Thanks much, Ron.

That is the problem, of course, with so much assassination literature: it is replete with errors, and not necessarily the fault if the author.

Writer A writes something in a book or internet posting, believing it to be true. The datum is later discredited. But at least for a book it is impossible to send a correction to every purchaser.

Then writer B writes a book repeating the datum, citing the first writer as the source.

And the more often the datum is repeated the more believable it semms.

Which is one reason this Forum is so valuable!