The Education Forum

Ruby postal annex building (

Ruby timeline 22'nd

12:30—On corner near Postal Annex Building; Dealey Plaza : Dallas Morning News.

I came across an alledged FBI document that Ruby had invited someone to come with him to the plaza to 'watch the fireworks'. It now eludes me. Has anyone else seen it?

a bit of local colour, Dallas downtown really was the heart of dallas:

"Dallas was a city where progress and growth were the goals of seemingly all its citizens. In Dallas: An Illustrated History, author Darwin Payne writes:

Already the volume of business in the Dallas post office reflected a level of activity found in a city of 100,000 rather than 42,000; and if the year 1900 was a harbinger of times to come, the greatest growth lay ahead. The year had seen 291 frame residences erected at a cost of $259,071, forty brick and stone structures built at a cost of $233,075, the streetcar system extended on Harwood Street and Washington Avenue, two electric interurban lines projected between Dallas and Ft. Worth, formal recognition by Congress of the feasibility of navigation on the Trinity River, the beginning of construction of a new public library and the building of 12,800 feet of new street.

Dallas in 1900 consisted in large part of what is now the downtown business district. At that time there were still several private residences mixed in with the commercial buildings clustered along Main, Elm, and Commerce Streets - which then, as now, were the principal thoroughfares."

Annex ( i think it had a nickname? it was variously known as the post office, postal annex building, on site of one of the first buildings in dallas, the old post office, maybe after the first settlers cabin, the oldest?

This capture from the couch film shows the post office in the background shortly after the assassination. This policeman is a also in another film but while adopting this rather threatening pose is hidden by the bodies of others.

Edited by John Dolva

I came across an alledged FBI document that Ruby had invited someone to come with him to the plaza to 'watch the fireworks'. It now eludes me. Has anyone else seen it?

I have seen it and have it somewhere. It was a report by an informant to FBI agent Ted Gunderson who has gone on to be a fairly far-out conspiracy researcher.

I have seen it and have it somewhere. It was a report by an informant to FBI agent Ted Gunderson who has gone on to be a fairly far-out conspiracy researcher.

Gary, any indication of that when he was a FBI agent that he was ' far out'. Do you mean dubious when you say 'far out'?

John

edit: do you feel that the document is genuine?

Edited by John Dolva

hey, don't you point that thing at me. what's your name , guv? Fido?

Edited by John Dolva

Maybe if Ruby did say this, it should be taken literally.

Quote from a post made to alt.assassination.jfk Sep 5, 1998:

i was standing at the corner of elm and houston street, next to the county courthouse building - there was nothing in the area across the street - not sure if that is dealy plaza now or not - there were a few people there - scattered - something i have never heard mentioned is the fireworks that had been going off all day - mexicans had been riding thru town for some time in old convertibles and shooting off fireworks (i have never heard the fireworks mentioned, but it was very obvious at the time, and everyone was talking about it) - the shots were like those fireworks - i don't know if we had automatic weapons at that time, but the shots were one on top of the other - no way one person fired them = at least as i remember it; i was with my mom and brother on the corner - i saw the president fall over in the seat and saw his wife climbing on the trunk

arr the two pronged attack??? Jack that frame is from the couch film, it is part of a pan starting at the GK , across the underpass, and sweeping across Dealey plaza, and ending its sweep a few frames past this pointing roughly at 'old red' then uninterrupted, but now much faster panning back to the underpass area. The post office is directly behind the cop in some 30 odd frames.

Edited by John Dolva

arr the two pronged attack???  Jack that frame is from the couch film, it is part of a pan starting at the GK , across the underpass, and sweeping across Dealey plaza, and ending its sweep a few frames past this pointing roughly at 'old red' then uninterrupted, but now much faster panning back to the underpass area. The post office is directly behind the cop in some 30 odd frames.

What attack? Seen behind the cop is clearly the east peristyle

and wall on Houston Street. You need to acquaint yourself

with the plaza.

Jack ;)

the couch film is available, please have look at it. further: any other assassination photos/films of that half of the plaza eagerly anticipated

Jack, I realise you don't intend to reply to my posts but in case you don't have me on ignore then you may read this, it is possible you meant the second picture while I meant the first, in the first that is the post office in the background, behind the policeman with the 'pistol' (I am not sure it is one, I think it is, but in another film and in later frames of this one I'm not sure), however in the second the same policeman does not have the post office behind him, rather old red and other structures, it's possible that the very edge of the post office is there though.

The point of it all though is many fold. What's the policemans name? Is that a pistol? Are there any other images available of the post office at the time of the assassination? Is that the same policeman whose cap is briefly seen at the end of one scene in the nix film, there is also a film, regarded as suspect in origin showing a policeman shooing people away from the fence at the GK. if genuine I have no idea of the time it was taken, Its supposed to be another clip by couch.

(I'd post more images but for the moment I have almost reached my quota.)

John,

The point of it all though is many fold. What's the policemans name? Is that a pistol?

I believe the policeman is Edgar Leon Smith, who was stationed on Houston Street, and told the WC:

"Anyhow, I couldn't see down there without running over here, and I run down here at the time to see the Presidential car go under the triple underpass at a high rate of speed, and I pulled my pistol out and there was people laying down there and run down the street and that was about all."

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/smith_e.htm

Steve Thomas