The Education Forum

30 Watergate Deaths

Regarding Bellino, when Maheu first went off on his own, he shared an office with Bellino. Since Bellino was tied in with the Kennedys, this caused Maheu some problems with the Nixon people and the CIA, his top clients. He wrote about this in his book. I believe Maheu's buddy Joe Shimon admitted in an interview that he worked with Bellino on behalf of the Kennedys, bugging Nixon. Or maybe I'm getting him mixed up with Russell.

Anyhow, the picture painted is one of private spooks bugging political candidates on behalf of other political candidates as well as the mob. Everyone bugging everyone. With Bellino as the Kennedys private spook.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Stephen:

"You are probably already aware of Jim Hougan's "Secret Agenda: Watergate, Deep Throat and the CIA", which contains quite a bit on Russell and also info on Pennington.

I don't know if I've published it in this forum, but I purchased a used copy of an old 1955 book on espionage, and when I opened it, I saw the stamp "Lee Pennington" on the right frontspiece, and a pencilled "Lou Russell" on the left frontspiece. I emailed this to Hougan, who thought it was interesting. Kinda chilling, to have a book once owned by one or more spooks!

"

From John:

"Sorry to direct the thread away from its purpose here.

It mentions that Clay Shaw was in Mexico City at the same time as Howard Hunt and Oswald. This is the first I have heard of this, does anybody have any information or a source for this?"

Guys,

Thanks for these and so many other postings. Nearly every time I read something of yours (pl.) I find it informative if not fascinating. In Hougan's book there are two places where he mentions (damn, I wish he would have elaborated) the smuggling of gold bullion to Southeast Asia, the first with respect to Pennington in the middle of the book and the second at the end of the final chapter. The latter segment tells of Haig's initiation of a CIC investigation into that activity - and Nixon's involvement - this time without mentioning Pennington. It's Hougan's contention there that this is what forced Nixon's hand into resignation. Let's take the lad out for drinks and dinner!

That '55 book on espionage is a real find.

Regards, JAG

I'm a bit of a novice at posting images, but if all goes well, here's the frontspiece of my copy of Soviet Espionage by David J. Dallin.

I don't know if I've published it in this forum, but I purchased a used copy of an old 1955 book on espionage, and when I opened it, I saw the stamp "Lee Pennington" on the right frontspiece, and a pencilled "Lou Russell" on the left frontspiece. I emailed this to Hougan, who thought it was interesting. Kinda chilling, to have a book once owned by one or more spooks!

The two men were close friends for a long time. They met during the Second World War when both men were investigating Alger Hiss. This is what brought them into contact with Nixon who led the campaign against Hiss in Congress. The other member of this group determined to get Hiss included J. Edgar Hoover, Whittaker Chambers and Nathaniel Weyl (a member of this Forum who died a couple of months ago).

Pennington, who specialized in identifying left-wing activists, supplied a great deal of information to the House Committee on Un-American Activities (HCUA). It was during this period that he met James W. McCord. They also remained close. Pennington’s secretary, Donald Sweany, a former staff member of the HCUA, married McCord's secretary, Lucille.

Donald and Lucille Sweany, Ruth McCord and Pennington all attended the McCord file burning party on 19th July (two days after the Watergate break-in).

I have ony just started investigating Fensterwald. Hopefully, I will have more information on him. However, at this moment in time I think he has to be seen as a suspicious character.

Two items on Fensterwald FWIW.

Sprague claims in chapter 15 of his book that the publisher of Fensterwald's book, Zebra Books (publisher also of Hugh McDonald's Appointment in Dallas) is controlled by the CIA:

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/JFK/ToA/ToAchp15.html

According to Gary Mack in his ARRB testimony, Fensterwald knowingly helped facilitate the perpetration of a hoax (the Ricky White story):

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/arrb/index66.htm

Ron

According to this Sprague the Power Control Group "brainwashed" Congressman Gonzalez into opposing the continuation of the other Sprague as legal counsel for the HSCA. Sprague had to make this claim as he could hardly pretend that Gonzalez was a member of the Power Control Group.

Of course Sprague does not explain how the PCG accomplished this "brainwashing".

And Sprague also states that left-wing journalist George Lardner was a member of the CIA (as was apparently any journalist who disagreed with Sprague's view of the assassination).

(And according to Salandria, anyone who disagrees is also a criminal!)

In my opinion, there is only one word that describes Sprague's book: "outlandish".

Which is not to say that there are no true statements in his book. As the saying goes, even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

Edited by Tim Gratz

Ron wrote:

Sprague claims in chapter 15 of his book that the publisher of Fensterwald's book, Zebra Books (publisher also of Hugh McDonald's Appointment in Dallas) is controlled by the CIA:

I strongly suspect this is just another Sprague smear.

Zebra books was started by Walter Zacharius, a Jewish-American veteran of World War II. "Appointment in Dallas" was Zebra's first book but it apparently helped Zacharius start a bit of a publishing empire. See the web-site.

http://www.kensingtonbooks.com/

Zacharius, at eighty years of age, recently wrote his first novel and it is apparently highly praised:

'Songbird' honors an unsung war hero

By Christina Jeng, USA TODAY

Sixty years ago this week, Parisians poured into the streets to shower Allied soldiers with kisses, flowers and wine as their city was liberated from the Nazis.

Walter Zacharius bases his novel, Songbird, on a true story.

"We felt like conquering heroes," says Walter Zacharius, then a young soldier and now CEO of Kensington Publishing.

At 80, after a long career in publishing, Zacharius has written his first book, which honors an unsung war hero he met 60 years ago.

Zacharius doesn't use her real name in his novel, Songbird (Atria, $17), but the plot is based on the true story of a young Polish Jewish girl.

In the novel, the beautiful Mia Levy escapes from the Nazis, emigrates to New York and falls in love with a young musician. But still haunted by memories of her presumably dead family, she returns to Paris to join the French Resistance and work as a spy in a Parisian brothel.

Zacharius says, "I always felt there were so many people who weren't in the military (but) were heroes, who very quietly worked for the Allies, never got a medal, never got any praise but helped the war."

At the end of the war, Zacharius met the woman who inspired his novel. She wanted to return to New York, but he couldn't help her. She told him her story, and he says it has been with him ever since. The woman later died in Israel.

"She subjected herself to horrors," Zacharius says. "She sacrificed her life and her body."

Twenty years ago, Roberta Grossman, who was then Zacharius' partner at Zebra Books, dared him to write the story.

Zacharius, who is no stranger to challenges — he learned to jump horses in his 40s, got his college degree in his 50s and mastered the piano despite chronic arthritis in his 70s — took the dare and has been writing the novel, on and off, ever since.

Writing was a new experience for him. As a publisher, "I'm highly critical of a number of authors," but "the pressure is on me now." But he says he also enjoyed it. And now that he's the writer, his publisher pays for their dinners.

It looks like a good read, doesn't it?

Edited by Tim Gratz

From Stephen:

"You are probably already aware of Jim Hougan's "Secret Agenda: Watergate, Deep Throat and the CIA", which contains quite a bit on Russell and also info on Pennington.

"

From John:

"Sorry to direct the thread away from its purpose here.

It mentions that Clay Shaw was in Mexico City at the same time as Howard Hunt and Oswald. This is the first I have heard of this, does anybody have any information or a source for this?"

Guys,

Thanks for these and so many other postings. Nearly every time I read something of yours (pl.) I find it informative if not fascinating. In Hougan's book there are two places where he mentions (damn, I wish he would have elaborated) the smuggling of gold bullion to Southeast Asia, the first with respect to Pennington in the middle of the book and the second at the end of the final chapter. The latter segment tells of Haig's initiation of a CIC investigation into that activity - and Nixon's involvement - this time without mentioning Pennington. It's Hougan's contention there that this is what forced Nixon's hand into resignation. Let's take the lad out for drinks and dinner!

That '55 book on espionage is a real find.

Regards, JAG

I'm a bit of a novice at posting images, but if all goes well, here's the frontspiece of my copy of Soviet Espionage by David J. Dallin.

Stephen, if that's from a local bookshop, those things often come in 'box lots' put in by someone who doesn't realise what they are (or perhaps does?). As well as checking for other stuff that may have come with that one, it might be interesting to examine the pages for impressions of scribbles?

According to this Sprague the Power Control Group "brainwashed" Congressman Gonzalez into opposing the continuation of the other Sprague as legal counsel for the HSCA.  Sprague had to make this claim as he could hardly pretend that Gonzalez was a member of the Power Control Group.

Of course Sprague does not explain how the PCG accomplished this "brainwashing". 

And Sprague also states that left-wing journalist George Lardner was a member of the CIA (as was apparently any journalist who disagreed with Sprague's view of the assassination).

(And according to Salandria, anyone who disagrees is also a criminal!)

In my opinion, there is only one word that describes Sprague's book: "outlandish".

Which is not to say that there are no true statements in his book.  As the saying goes, even a broken clock is correct twice a day.

You have been attacking the research of Sprague for sometime. I thought it would be a good idea to establish a thread on Sprague.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4568

Members can then compare the quality of Sprague's research with that of Tim's.

John wrote:

You have been attacking the research of Sprague for sometime. I thought it would be a good idea to establish a thread on Sprague.

John, how can you call Sprague's work "research" when he offers almost no references? Without references, how do you know he did not invent everything?

One reference that he offered, William Turner, has denied making the statements Sprague attributes to him.

If Sprague's book is "research" I suggest you read"Willie Wonka" for an insightful insider's view of the workings of a chocolate factory!

Edited by Tim Gratz

John wrote:

John, how can you call Sprague's work "research" when he offers almost no references?  Without references, how do you know he did not invent everything?

Good point.  Presumably, you will now adhere to your own protocols and provide citations for the hundred blind items you've dropped here.  Why don't you start with the Castro-was-going-to-bomb-NYC rubbish that you claimed you had paid to download from a newspaper site and were going to type for our edification in... what? April???

You drop flaming bags on our doorstep every day, then run away.  It irritates us as much as Sprague irritates you.  Think about it.

I think these last few points illuminate a real problem. Just as there is a "cult of expertise" among the mainstream media which defers to the opinions of official panels and doctors--no matter how ridiculous their claims, there is a "cult of expertise" within the JFK research community, whereby certain writers are given great respect simply because they've been published. If Harry Livingstone interprets an x-ray or dissolves into paranoiac name-calling regarding Groden his opinion is NOT to be taken as authoritative. Same with Sprague. Same with anyone. If Gary Mack thinks Fensterwald supported a scam this only puts Fensterwald in the company of dozens of others, who have at one time or another supported Judyth Baker, James Files, Chauncey Holt, Perry Russo, etc, all likely to be scammers. This in no way shows that Fensterwald was CIA. We shouldn't trust the word of Sprague any more than we should trust the word of Posner. Both make mistakes. Just because someone's conclusion is in line with our pre-dispositions does not make their specific conclusions reliable. I'd be happy if no one here ever quoted Sprague again. He blows up a few facts and a few impressions and builds it all up into a GREAT BIG conspiracy that may or may not have a basis in truth; his work is more impressionistic than it is factual. He paints a picture but leaves the camera at home. Kinda like the Rydberg drawings. IMHO.

I guess what I'm getting at is that saying "so-and-so says blank about so-and-so" is non-productive. The finger-pointing is most often juvenile. What we need to focus on is what can we learn from so-and-so. And to that end, I agree with Robert, Tim, and think you should tell us what you found out about those New York lawsuits. If you're gonna spout Castro did it, at least do us the favor of showing us what documentation you've uncovered. After all, this is called the Education Forum, not the "Unsupported Theory Forum."

If Gary Mack thinks Fensterwald supported a scam this only puts Fensterwald in the company of dozens of others,

Pat, I happen to have a special interest in Fensterwald. Do you have a source for the Gary Mack statement you quoted? Thanks in anticipation.

Ray

If Gary Mack thinks Fensterwald supported a scam this only puts Fensterwald in the company of dozens of others,

Pat, I happen to have a special interest in Fensterwald. Do you have a source for the Gary Mack statement you quoted? Thanks in anticipation.

Ray

I was referring to Ron's statement in post #19, as follows:

"According to Gary Mack in his ARRB testimony, Fensterwald knowingly helped facilitate the perpetration of a hoax (the Ricky White story):

Ron"

I was referring to Ron's statement in post #19, as follows:

"According to Gary Mack in his ARRB testimony, Fensterwald knowingly helped facilitate the perpetration of a hoax (the Ricky White story):

Ron"

Thanks Pat, and sorry Ron for overlooking your post. I agree that many legitimate researchers have been taken in by hoaxers, but Gary Mack's statement to the AARB is evidence that Fensterwald was a knowing perpetrator of a hoax, and not just a victim. If Gary Mack is right there was something sinister about Fensterwald that would merit further inquiry.

John, your speculation on Fensterwald is way off.  Please read Coincidence or Conspiracy? which came out in 1977 and was up to that time probably the best book on the assassination, detailing many of the links between Watergate and the JFK hit.  It is VERY damaging to the CIA.  I think the Fensterwald is CIA nonsense got started by Weberman, who was upset when Fensterwald, one of the leaders of the conspiracy community, was dismissive of Weberman's theory that Hunt and Sturgis were the tramps.  Those who need to believe that Richard Nixon was set up also bad mouth Fensterwald, as he was McCord's lawyer; what they fail to see is that McCord had had enough and was willing to spill the beans, and that Fensterwald wanted to be there to help him spill them.  That McCord was particularly incensed by Nixon's attempt to blame the CIA for his own misdeeds,, of course, meant that for one brief moment Fensterwald was on the side of the CIA.   Read Coincidence or Conspiracy? before you make any decisions regarding his real agenda.

BTW Widows by Joseph Trento (who testified he SAW the Hunt memo) and William Corson (who denied the existence of the memo under oath) has a couple of chapters on Paisley as well.

--------------------------------------

_______________________________-

Pat, John, et al.:

During a series of meetings with Bud [during May 1975], I was introduced to his #1 investigator (The last of "The Untouchables") at a luncheon held at his favorite Chinese restaurant in D.C. -- and wherein he asked for my assistance in the investigation of a scam being orchestrated as a CIA covert Op soliciting funds from wealthy VIPS.

This lead me to the legal defense team of the "Bell Morgage Case". That same week I reviewed Bud's drafts on a JFK thesis, and when asked as to style recommendations -- I suggested that the better format would be in a series of QUESTIONS which to date remained unanswered. He agreed wholeheartedly, and thereafter produced his tome in that format.

Bud left us in Dallas while filming "JFK" to travel to OK City in order to interview Loran Hall -- who was then in the County Jail under drug charges (with his son & Son's girlfriend). Via Larry Howard [West End Marketplace Museum] we had used a jailor to pass the word to Hall that if he would give a deposition [under polygraph -- backed-up by Stress Analysis machine] as to who in the FBI forced his perjured WC testimony RE: the Silvia Odio matter. Days later we learned of his death from the FLU ??!!.