The Education Forum

How High?

Most are of course aware of the somewhat confusion of Mr. Abraham Zapruder when reviewing frames of his film and testifying before the WC.

And, if one fully examines this testimony, they leave with the impression that Mr. Zapruder was under the mistaken opinion that the road sign between his position and JFK did not fully block from view JFK's reaction to the first shot.

On 3/16/64, the autopsy surgeons appeared before the WC to testify.

No doubt, the news media was gathered for this event.

Too bad some of them were not hanging around Dealy Plaza on this day, as Mr. Robert West was contacted by SS Agent John Joe Howlett and informed that more information was needed in regards to certain aspects of Dealy Plaza.

This information request centered ONLY on data as reference the Dealy Plaza signs.

Mr. West was directed to physically measure the signs, to include the exact diameter of the posts which held the signs. In addition, the height of the sign as well as placement location of the sign posts in relationship to the concrete curb of Elm St. was also requested.

Edited by Thomas H. Purvis

Most are of course aware of the somewhat confusion of Mr. Abraham Zapruder when reviewing frames of his film and testifying before the WC.

And, if one fully examines this testimony, they leave with the impression that Mr. Zapruder was under the mistaken opinion that the road sign between his position and JFK did not fully block from view JFK's reaction to the first shot.

Too bad some of them were not hanging around Dealy Plaza on this day, as Mr. Robert West was contacted by SS Agent John Joe Howlett and informed that more information was needed in regards to certain aspects of Dealy Plaza.

This information request centered ONLY on data as reference the Dealy Plaza signs.

Mr. West was directed to physically measure the signs, to include the exact diameter of the posts which held the signs.  In addition, the height of the sign as well as placement location of the sign posts in relationship to the concrete curb of Elm St. was also requested.

Tom,

Can those later measurements (provided by Mr. West) be made available to forum researchers?

edit: next I looked, there they were...

Thanks,

David

Edited by David G. Healy

Mr. West was directed to physically measure the signs, to include the exact diameter of the posts which held the signs.  In addition, the height of the sign as well as placement location of the sign posts in relationship to the concrete curb of Elm St. was also requested.

Tom,

Can those later measurements (provided by Mr. West) be made available to forum researchers?

Thanks,

David

Get them quick!

I have to either reduce the size or delete the attachment in order to present the second page of Mr. West 3/16/64 notes.

In addition to the physical measurements of the sign and it's location in relationship to the curb of Elm St., Mr. West was also directed to obtain other information.

Mr. West was directed to establish the elevation of the concrete pilar on which Mr. Zapruder stood, and as a control point, he was to utilize as his "BM"/Bench Mark, the elevation 423.07 which was in fact the street elevation of Elm St. at the point where the SS had previously determined that JFK was hit by the first shot. (Z-210)*

With this knowledge/information, and someone who was considerably better at math (trig required) than the JEH & Company episode, all necessary information was in the hands of the WC to determine exactly what height.elevation the top of the sign would have had to be in order for Mr. Zapruder NOT to have been able to see JFK at this point behind the sign.

*See Shot# 1 as presented previously.

Tom,

Thanks,

David

Ahah!

And how did I know that you were going to ask for that????

Must be due to the fact that I am an "undercover spy for the FBI".

Tom

In the event anyone would like a "repost" of any of the provided information, let me know. This is to include other topics as well as this one.

I may have to delete something, but I can provide larger detail attachments, and if you missed one then I probably would not be able to sleep at night.

Tom

Edited by Thomas H. Purvis

In the event anyone would like a "repost" of any of the provided information, let me know. This is to include other topics as well as this one.

I may have to delete something, but I can provide larger detail attachments, and if you missed one then I probably would not be able to sleep at night.

Tom

Tom,I may have missed at some point, but I can't find any info anywhere about how tall Abraham Zapruder was. Do you have this info? JohnD

Tom

Tom,I may have missed at some point, but I can't find any info anywhere about how tall Abraham Zapruder was. Do you have this info? JohnD

According to conversations which I had with his wife many years ago, he was 5-feet 10-inches tall.

I independently verified this with his son as well.

Tom.

P.S. There are still two pieces of the puzzle missing. The distances from Mr. Zapruder's position to the road sign as well as the height of JFK above the street.

The WC had the road sign distances from the original SS Work, which they also utilized to construct the "Scale Model" of Dealy Plaza utilized in their presentations of how accurate their work was.

During the WC Re-enactment, Mr. West was provided with the actual elevation of JFK above he street.

Due to the fact that the Queen Mary/SS Followup vehicle caused the occupants to ride approximately 10-inches higher than did JFK in the Presidential Limousine, this 10-inch difference was compensated for and added into the downward angle of fire by Mr. West.

I will post a little on this escapade.

Tom