The Education Forum

Tottenham

John Simkin

I think Spurs will have a very good season. I have been impressed by Martin Jol’s buying policy. Hopefully, it will help with the development of young English footballers who are suffering from the employment of foreign managers in the top clubs (Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool) who are so keen to recruit young foreign players.

Jol has put together a good squad. Despite injuries to key players, Spurs have been comfortable winners of their first two games. I expect considerable improvement of players like Defoe, Carrick, Reid, Dawson, Gardner, Robinson, King and Huddlestone. I also believe that my the end of the season Defoe and Carrick will be in England’s world cup team.

My prediction is that Spurs will finish third in the table (above both Arsenal and Liverpool).

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a follower of Spurs of some 38 years standing, I would like to echo a lot of John's post. There are some good individuals there this year, some of whom even seem to play like they're part of a team (which is where I think we've come unstuck in previous years when we had good players).

On Saturday, 'Boro were woeful in front of goal and Mido's goal was a touch fortunate... So I think John's estimation is slightly (over)optimistic, but I think we'll do better than in the last few years, maybe a European slot...

Davids will be key to success this year, in a role we haven't really filled since Graham Roberts...:blink:

I wonder what odds you can get on Spurs doing really well until mid-October and then nothing much till end of Feb :D

COYS

Ed

I was very disappointed by Martin Jol’s tactics last night. The idea of playing a lone striker away from home is one of the things that I hate about modern football. It is true it worked for Arsenal but they have the right kind of players that can make it work. Leaving Defoe on the bench made no sense at all. Especially as he also rested Carrick at the same time (his long passes might well have made this tactic work). Spurs did not have one shot on target. Nor did they force one corner. Yet West Ham showed two weeks ago that Blackburn’s defence is vulnerable when attacked. I was disturbed by Jol’s reaction after the game. He refused to accept he made a mistake and claimed that modern footballers cannot play too games in a week and was saving his stars for Saturday’s game.

• 3 weeks later...
First of all can I say that the prediction that Arsenal will finish 4th behind Tottenham is the most outrageously provocative statement that John Simkin has made in the entire time that I have known him, and that is saying something!!

After recent results, maybe I should have suggested that both West Ham and Tottenham will finish above Arsenal in the league.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Tottenham nearly held onto a goaless draw at Grimsby. See my thread on the Brain of Football:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5000

Tottenham seem to have problems scoring this season. Maybe they should take a look at West Ham's strategy:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4765

Last night West Ham put out a reserve side and still scored 4 goals. :blink:

I was very impressed with Aaron Lennon on Monday night. He could play an important role in this season’s campaign to reach Europe. Edgar Davids also had a good game but I don’t rate Jermaine Jenas (his passing was atrocious). They definitely missed Michael Carrick and Defoe and Mido had little to feed on. Spurs had little difficulty beating a moderate Fulham side who will probably be relegated this season.

Spurs had little difficulty beating a moderate Fulham side

I think I would insert "a" before "little". It seems the usual November criminal slide down the table has begun early this year (net ninth if results don't go for us). Too few goals, an embarrassing defeat in a cup competition.... Yet again a bit too early to muse 'there's always next year'

The squad is pretty good, although brought together quite late, and losing Kanoute may prove a mistake. Most are still young enough to develop together - if they can be kept - and Jol seems to have a pragmatic approach that might benefit.

The match against Charlton will be a good measure at the weekend.

The squad is pretty good, although brought together quite late, and losing Kanoute may prove a mistake. Most are still young enough to develop together - if they can be kept - and Jol seems to have a pragmatic approach that might benefit.

Pardew wanted to buy Kanoute but the West Ham fans objected and he backed down. This is partly because the fans had not forgiven him for going to another London club. However, despite occasional moments of brilliance when he looks as good as Henry, he does not like a fight. He rarely played, let alone scored, in our away games. I don’t think there is anything wrong with your strikers, they just don’t get the right service. I am surprised that Chelsea did not buy Defoe during the summer break. To my mind, he is a better striker than Owen.

• 3 weeks later...
At this time of year football reporters make their predictions for the season. I thought it might be a bit of fun if members of the forum had a go at this.

Here is my list:

Top of the Table

1. Chelsea

2. Manchester United

3. Tottenham

4. Arsenal

First of all can I say that the prediction that Arsenal will finish 4th behind Tottenham is the most outrageously provocative statement that John Simkin has made in the entire time that I have known him, and that is saying something!!

Top of the Table (17th October)

1. Chelsea

2. Tottenham

3. Manchester United

4. Manchester City

8. Arsenal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have been disappointed by Spurs’ recent performances. It looks like they will struggle to hold on to the 4th spot. One of the great ironies is that even if they do make 4th place, they will not get into the Champions League if Arsenal win it this year.