The Education Forum

Manchester United

John Simkin

I expect Manchester United to have a good season this year but will have to accept coming second to Chelsea in the league. However, they should be well clear of Arsenal and Liverpool.

Edwin van der Saar will help to stabilise the defence and an attack of Rooney, Ranaldo and Van Nistelrooy, will be able to destroy most teams. Park Ji-Sung looks like a good signing as well.

The main problem could come from Keane. He is probably past his best. Will he be able to dominate in the same way as he has done in the past?

Guest Stephen Turner

I agree with John's prediction for premiership ranking, no one will beat money-bags Chelsea this year. I do however think we will do very well in Europe, at least semi final stage, and I've a sneaking suspicion we might win it. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Stephen Turner
I agree with John's prediction for premiership ranking, no one will beat money-bags Chelsea this year. I do however think we will do very well in Europe, at least semi final stage, and I've a sneaking suspicion we might win it. ;)

After the Blackburn match, the above quote sounds like Ramblings from a sick bed. I am even begining to believe that Andy may be right about Mr Ferguson's long term employment.

After the Blackburn match, the above quote sounds like Ramblings from a sick bed. I am even begining to believe that Andy may be right about Mr Ferguson's long term employment.

Manchester United looked very ordinary on Saturday and understandably were booed off the pitch. They were upset by Ferguson’s decision to play with one striker against Blackburn. To start without Rooney was the strangest decision of the year (at first commentators claimed he was being rested for the European tie against Benfica until it was realized that he was suspended for that game).

According to Ryan Giggs (also on the bench) Carlos Queiroz is really in charge: “he trains us, prepares us for games, organizes the team and decides on the things we need to work on”. Another example of a foreign coach adopting defensive tactics. Like the England manager, Queiroz seems to think that Rooney’s best position is on the wing or on the bench.

At least Queiroz/Ferguson will probably not make this mistake again. Unlike their rivals Arsenal, Manchester United at least have the players to finish second in the league.

Arsene Wenger actually defended Alex Ferguson yesterday. He thought his treatment by the Man Utd fans on Saturday was "appalling". He added "Of course we are, like the players, only as good as our last game, but after what this guy has done for the club I find it horrendous and nearly unbelievable."

Maybe Wenger is afraid the same thing is going to happen to him. I don't find it unbelievable. No one can rely on their achievements from the past. Fans have every right to point out that Ferguson got his tactics wrong on Saturday. The trouble with football managers like Ferguson and Wenger is that they don't believe they should be criticised. At his press conference Ferguson even refused to answer questions about his tactics. Has Andy has pointed out, it is time for Ferguson to go. Like all dictators, he will not resign and will have to be removed from power. They should also get rid of Carlos Queiroz and appoint one of the many good young English managers we have waiting to be given an opportunity of a top job.

Chelsea’s decision to play for a draw obviously fooled Liverpool into thinking they were a match for the champions. On Sunday they played 4-3-3 instead of 4-5-1. Cole and Duff constantly attacked with Drogba. For the first 30 minutes, every time one of the three attackers got the ball they were surrounded by three of four defenders. They could not keep this up and by the second-half Liverpool were a very tired team.

The best performance against Chelsea this season was by Wigan. Like other teams like West Ham, Wigan have realised that the best form of defence is attack. Far too many teams this season have not really tested Chelsea’s defence. It is good but unless you attack it, you are not going to find out how good it is. For most of the game Liverpool relied on high balls up to Crouch. Most of the time he was surrounded by Chelsea defenders. Even when he managed to get hold of the ball, he rarely had anyone to pass to. It was a surprise that Liverpool even managed to score one goal.

I suspect Manchester United have now learnt there lesson about playing 4-5-1 (they were unluckly to score only 3 on Saturday against Fulham). How long will it take Liverpool to learn this lesson?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Stephen Turner
I agree with John's prediction for premiership ranking, no one will beat money-bags Chelsea this year. I do however think we will do very well in Europe, at least semi final stage, and I've a sneaking suspicion we might win it. :o

I think Nostradamus can rest easy. "Repeat after me Turner, Never, never, never attempt to predict ANYTHING"......

I agree with John's prediction for premiership ranking, no one will beat money-bags Chelsea this year. I do however think we will do very well in Europe, at least semi final stage, and I've a sneaking suspicion we might win it. :o

I think Nostradamus can rest easy. "Repeat after me Turner, Never, never, never attempt to predict ANYTHING"......

After watching the games against Middlesbrough and Lille, it is clear that Manchester United have serious problems. The most important factor in this concerns the loss of Roy Keane. The team looks rudderless without him. The decision to replace Keane with Alan Smith has been a disaster. Smith might have Keane’s fighting qualities but he is clearly not able to defend. As Keane said in his famous taped interview (leaked to the press before being destroyed by Ferguson) “he (Smith) looks lost, he doesn’t know what he is doing”. Keane’s comments on the other players are just as perceptive.

Manchester United still have some extremely talented members in their team but need someone like Keane to be its “heartbeat”. Liverpool have a similar problem when Steven Gerrard is not in the team. Patrick Viera, the former “heartbeat” of Arsenal has also been missed this season. Chelsea are lucky to have more than one heartbeat (Terry and Lampard).

• 5 months later...
Guest Stephen Turner

A well deserved 2-0 win over Arsenal last night, Rooney, as usual saves his best for the big games. I fear, however that as far as the premiership goes this is too little too late.

Much as it pains me to admit it, it was probably a fair result. I though Rooney's first goal was fantastic and hope he can continue to do the same for England. As for the league, it certainly is all over. Should be tighter next year.

Manchester United are playing really well at the moment. Moving Giggs to the centre of midfield seems to have made all the difference. It should be a good three way fight for the title next year. It is even possible that Arsenal will make it a four way struggle. B)