The Education Forum

need navigating help please

I have had trouble for at least a week with navigating this site. I am unable to hit the back button and have it go back one page. Instead, I have to hit the "view new post" button to get back to the page so I can select other topics to view. I am a member of other forums and this is the only one that has ever had this problem. Any ideas or suggestions are very much appreciated. :lol:

I have had trouble for at least a week with navigating this site. I am unable to hit the back button and have it go back one page. Instead, I have to hit the "view new post" button to get back to the page so I can select other topics to view. I am a member of other forums and this is the only one that has ever had this problem. Any ideas or suggestions are very much appreciated.    :lol:

Nick, I am assuming that you are using Internet Explorer? If so there is a free add on that converts it to a multitab browser with lots of extra features. I've had up to about 180 windows open at one time with it. Its easy to use and very customizable.

MyIE2 : http://www.myie2.com/html_en/update.htm

With the multiple tabs you can always have the front page with topics listed plus you can set it to auto refresh at a timing of your choice. I'm using version MyIE2 0.9.27 and recommend it. There's a lot of online support available. Use myie2 homepage to find.

This still wont entirely solve problems with this site. That wont happen until Andy and John address them. But I've found some work arounds that seem to help. If I plan on a longer post I type it up first. Then log in and cut-paste-post quickly, with one qualifier : I find I need to make sure the page has fully loaded before clicking in it as otherwise the likelyhood of problems seem to increase. Plus whatever I'm posting I keep a copy in clipboard till I know the post went through. If it didn't a short wait to overide the anti-flood features and a repost seems to work.

On a fairly regular basis the site seems to 'disappear'. Possibly this is the problem you are describing. Finding other sites on the web while this is happening is no problem so it is a feature of this forum.

A work around to this, apart from waiting, seems to be coming back into the site from a link from another site. A search for 'educationforum' and follow the links.

Also if you plan to post attachments, make sure you follow through by waiting to make sure the 'post page' loads fully before clicking the various buttons. Recheck and repost if necessary.

To encourage Adam and John to fix these issues I recommend also a listing of problems in the http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...view=getnewpost 'New Adverts' topic in the educationforum home page.

PS. (if you have a scroll wheel mouse) I find that I need to use the wheel while the page is loading as otherwise it seems that clicking on the scrollbar (or just about anywhere on the page) triggers a jump to an ad.

Ron,

My back button also no longer works on this site. (I use Mozilla Firefox browser.)

I use Mozilla too, and my back button doesn't work anymore either.

This problem appeared at the same time as hyperlinked advertisements started showing up within the body of members' postings. I figured the two issues were related somehow.

Steve Thomas

This appears to be a problem with Firefox. It works fine with Internet Explorer.

John,

Thanks. But it'll take more than that to make me go back to Internet Explorer. I'll just work around the back button problem with Firefox.

Ron

This appears to be a problem with Firefox. It works fine with Internet Explorer.

John,

Thanks. But it'll take more than that to make me go back to Internet Explorer. I'll just work around the back button problem with Firefox.

Ron

Use the little arrow to the right next to the back button!

Thanks everyone. The explanations and tips were helpful. My computer knowledge can best be described as "knows enough to get by". I primarily use Mozilla, but went back to IE just for this forum and IE works fine. I also tried the small arrow to the right as Andy suggested and that makes it easier. Since this is the only forum where I have this problem, is it that difficult or expensive to fix for Mozilla? It sure was annoying and time-consuming and I'll just use IE for this site for now. I do like Mozilla more than IE, although I haven't figured out yet how to combine my bookmarks/folders from both browsers.