The Education Forum

Bud Uanna

Tim Gratz

William L. ("Bud") Uanna was a Stevensonian Democrat. He set up the first intelligence units for the Army prior to WWII and was for a time the Intelligence Officer for the Secretary of War.

He helped create the Office of Policy Coordination for the CIA. I believe this office dealt with covert activities.

At the State Department he became Chief of the Division of Physical Security where he was responsible not only for the security of the physical facilities but also the physical safety of the Secretary of State and all visiting dignataries. He went to Ethiopia in 1958 where he denied on December 21, 1961. In the movie "ENOLA GAY" it states that Uanna was murdered and that all records relating to his death have disappeared. Supposedly this information came from Paul Tibbets, the pilot of the Enola Gay, who worked with Uanna on the Manhattan Project. (Bud Uanna was a character in two different movies about the Enola Gay.)

I encountered an Internet post on this gentleman by a Steven Uanna (his son). The post refers to a website, www.securitysuperchief.com (administered by Steven Uanna) and states that the website contains an "important clue to the Kennedy assassination"--but, unfortunately, the the website does not work!

Does anyone have any additional information on Steven Uanna and his "important clue to the Kennedy assassination"?

Edited by Tim Gratz

I am clueless in Key West (but I think I may have a business phone number for the son that I will try during business hours today).

from http://www.historynewsnetwork.com/readcomment.php?id=34060

Mr. Gvosdek makes some excellent points. And who will ultimately be held accountable for the actions of the "contractors" that are providing security in Iraq if they violate international laws? Laws the Bush administration has already made clear to the international community the U.S. will only obey if he wants to. And he will only call in the United Nations when it suits his needs. The U.S. taxpayer will probably be left with the bill. As if the current bill in Iraq is not big enough. How ironic because the main reason to use "contractors" in government service, as hired guns or to provide the maintenance for the buildings in Washington D.C. was to save money. The fact that many of these "expert" soldiers in Iraq are making $500.00 a day while many military families pinch pennies to make ends meet must be very hard on military morale.

Here at home private security firms provide the security for nuclear power plants and government weapons facilities, in violation of a law (THE PINKERTON LAW) created to stop the formation of private police and military agencies. Supposedly these private firms have been "vetted", the new term for a background check. But what criteria is used? Ambassador Paul Bremer's security is provided by private contractors. Is a group of his body guards doing the "vetting" for the others? It looks like the fox guarding the henhouse. And will private firms be employed by the Homeland Security Departmentand to enforce the Patriot Act, rounding up violators? It looks like we are going down a slippery slope that will be hard to reverse, especially with a demoralized Armed Forces that is the size of most third world armies.

Do we need these outside "experts"? Did the United States ever have an efficient security apparatus? Yes we did. What happened to it? One of the main architects of our nation's security system and died mysteriously and his former employer, the U.S. Department of State, where he was the CHIEF OF THE DIVISION OF PHYSICAL SECURITY is covering up the details of his death. A death that was called murder on national television.

This man's name was William Lewis Uanna and you can read about his amazing life and mysterious death on the web site http://www.securitysuperchief.com

With the dedication of the WW II Memorial just around the corner it is fitting that we examine his life, he was a true hero of WW II. In fact his service in the U.S. Army was critical to bringing about the surrender of Japan and the end of WW II. Yet most Americans have never heard about him, even though he has been portrayed in three movies: "ABOVE AND BEYOND" - "ENOLA GAY" - "HIROSHIMA". He has been hiding in plain sight. The problem is that he has been written out of the so called "OFFICIAL" history of WW II and the Cold War. General Leslie Groves, who is considered the driving force behind the Manhattan Project does not mention him in his book NOW IT CAN BE TOLD.

A brief summary of Mr. Uanna's background is:

Just prior to WW II he revamped the Army's Corps of Intelligence Police and got it ready for a WW II under it's new name, the COUNTER INTELLIGENCE CORPS, the CIC.

He was the main security officer on the Manhattan Project. At the time of the attack on Hiroshima he was the "Intelligence Officer to the Secretary of War" (Henry Stimson).

He led the scientific and intelligence mission to Japan after the war to study their Atomic project which a book called JAPAN'S SECRET WAR by Robert Wilcox says was within days of using an atomic bomb on U.S. forces when we struck Hiroshima. This is one of the best kept secrets of the Cold War. The plant making this bomb was in Korea and fell into the hands of the Russians.

At the direction of the Secretary of War he went to the newly formed Atomic Energy Commission and oversaw the transfer of the Manhattan Project into the AEC. It was here that he named and wrote the criteria for the "Q CLEARANCE".

Next at the Armed forces Special Weapons Project he oversaw the construction of the storage bases for our nuclear arsenal.

Next at the newly established CIA he wrote the briefing manual for the OFFICE OF POLICY COORDINATION. This was the covert action section of our government. It was located at this time (1949-50) in the National Security Council but was run jointly by the Departments of State and Defense. Soon it would be taken over by the CIA. A secret branch of the OPC was sneaking Nazi's into the U.S. behind the back of President Truman and the Congress at this time and the Joint Chiefs actually had a plan for using a 30,000 man secret army of former Nazi SS troops as mercenaries. A lesson can be learned from these dark deeds.

At the Department of Commerce as the Special Assistant to the Secretary of Commerce Mr. Uanna Chaired the FACILITIES PROTECTION BOARD and wrote "one of the primary manuals on industrial security". This was during the Korean War. Throughout his career Mr. Uanna would write statutes, manuals, give lecture courses and establish intelligence and security schools. He had degrees in Engineering, Education and Law. His responsibilities involved CIVIL DEFENSE, a word seldom heard now amid colored warning levers and duct tape.

And finally his last employer, the U.S. Department of State. He was brought on board temporarily for 90 days and wrote the EVALUATORS HANDBOOK to be used with Executive Order 10450 to screen State Department emplopyees in answer to Senator Joseph McCarthy's charges of Communist subversion in the Army and the State Department. Retained full time to run the newly formed Division of Physical Security he revamped the whole structure. He established the MARINE GUARD TRAINING SCHOOL, wrote aMARINE GUARD MANUAL and a PROTECTION OF DIGNITARIES MANUAL- (Mr. Bremer, what manual do your guards use?) He had responsibility for all State Department personnel and buildings worldwide, he personally guarded all visiting heads of state and in http://www.securitysuperchief.com you will see a picture of him "bodyguarding" Secretary of State John Foster Dulles. He ran the security liaison between the Departments of State and Defense. He was a State Department representative on a little known group called the INTERDEPARTMENTAL COMMITTEE ON INTERNAL SECURITY (ISIS). He was a member of the SPECIAL GROUP which was also called the SPECIAL COMMITTEE in the NSC where covert action is planned and carried out.

Mr. Uanna, or "Bud" as he was known was a Stevenson Democrat. The movie ENOLA GAY describes him "...as good as they come". And this is reflected in all the background investigations done on him for employment in the sensitive positions he had.

Mr. Uanna was my father. He was exiled away from Washington in November of 1958 to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Here on December 22, 1961 he died of a "heart attack" on the grounds of the American Embassy there. My mother and I were with my father in Addis when he died and we never believed it was a heart attack. Our suspicions were made public when the movie ENOLA GAY said that my father was a member of the CIA, was murdered in Africa and all records relating to his death have disappeared. The source of this information to VIACOM was the pilot of the B-29 bomber Enola Gay, Paul Tibbets. Paul Tibbets confirmed this to me. But Paul Tibbets has been strangely silent over the years. My father was directly responsible for Paul Tibbets safety on Tinian Island, the forward base of the 509th Composite Group which was our atomic strike force. In fact my father bore the responsiblility for the security of the whole 509th.

Shortly before he left Washington in 1958 Sheffield Edwards the Security Director of the CIA wrote the State Department praising my father and wishing him a good tour in Addis. Shortly after this Mr. Edwards would enlist the Mafia to kill Fidel Castro. Along with Mr. Edwards letter came one from General Edward Lansdale of the Office of Special Operations in the Department of Defense, surprised at my father's sudden departure he also wished him well. Mr. Lansdale's career in counter intelligence and insurgency is too long to detail here (I detail it in the web site) but Mr. Lansdale is a key suspect of many private researchers who believe there was a conspiracy to assassinate President Kennedy. In my site you will see two handwritten letters that I contend Lansdale wrote that could be the key to solving the Kennedy assassination. But it will take the cooperation of a man who claims he wrote one of the letters. This letter involes Robert Kenndey, anti Castro Cubans, David Ferrie, Aracha Smith and a convoluted scenario that has kept investigators going in circles for decades.

At http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/nsam-jfk/index you can view the National Security Action Memorandums (NSAM's) that President Kennedy issued to bring the National Security structure into line with his wishes. Keep in mind most of these were issued after the failed BAY OF PIGS invasion and JFK had decided to fire CIA Director Allen Dulles and his two Deputies Cabell and Bissell and take covert action away from them. NSAM 55, 56 and 57 lets the Joint Chiefs know they are expected to speak up and be pro active. NSAM 72 shows how serious JFK was about CIVIL DEFENSE (all those yellow and black Civil Defense signs on your buildings were put there by JFK) And if you venture into the basement, check out the dates on the supplies, 1962 I'll bet. NSAM 233? is about his wishes to start the removal of troops from Southvietnam. NSAM 136 states that two committee's were established under the NSC in 1949- the Interdepartmental Intelligence Conferenc(IIC) it was chaired by J. Edgar Hoover. And the Interdepartmental Committee on Internal Security (ISIS). These groups will be studied it said. NSAM 161 stated that these two groups would now be under the authority of Robert Kennedy. The IIC handled intelligence, the ISIS handled everything else, which was probably counter intelligence and military and paramilitary actions to be used in conjunction with Civil Defense if we were invaded or subversives were operating within our borders. What happened to the IIC and ISIS?

President Kennedy tried to take control of the rogue elements in our intelligence community. He was determined not to have an unnecessary war but he was committed to the security of the United States. Allen Dulles, Cabell, and Bissell would leave their posts, forced out by JFK right around the time my father died. But Allen Dulles would later turn up on the Warren Commission which claimed Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone assassin and close all other avenues, locking away some information so long that if you are 50 years old now you probably will not live long enough to see it.

I believe it was FBI Director Muller, in his testimony at the 9/11 Hearings who said he thought it would take five years to get the intelligence community squared away. I contend much of the work has already been done but is being suppressed. Executive Order 10450 is probably still in effect, but to enforce it and look into the backgrounds of government officials, like Henry Kissinger and his Associates in Kissinger and Associates, or Dick Cheney and his Enron buddies would be too much to ask. Let the Supreme Court say they are A-OK. Like Chief Justice Warren did on the Warren Report.

THEN: At the time of my father's death in 1961 MERCENARIES were operating in the Belgian Congo. U.N. Secretary General Dag Hammarskjold was arriving in the Congo to mediate the crisis and in an event that is still shrouded in mystery his plane crashed killing him.

NOW: A few weeks ago a group of mercenaries were arrested in Africa charged with a plot to overthrow a government there. A company some of these mercenaries work for has contracts providing security in Iraq. Late last year the U.N. left Iraq after their compound was bombed and a large number of their personnel were killed, a man who was slated to be the next Secretary General was among the dead.

This can go on and on. When the WW II Memorial is dedicated, look over toward Arlingtron National Cemetery, my father's grave is over there. But from the information I have I doubt that his body is in the grave. Just like the location of JFK's brain (lost from the National Archives) or the truth about what happened on 9/11 or where Bin Laden is or WMD's...

That's why I think this will take a Truth Commission like they had in South Africa, with amnesty, to get to the bottom of this. Or we can wait five years and keep trusting.

Thank you, Steven Uanna

Tim, Steve, et.al.,

I encountered an Internet post on this gentleman by a Steven Uanna (his son).  The post refers to a website, www.securitysuperchief.com (administered by Steven Uanna) and states that the website contains an "important clue to the Kennedy assassination"--but, unfortunately, the  the website does not work!

Try this website:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040701200251/...superchief.com/

He feels the same people who murdered JFK, murdered his father.

Steve Thomas

Thank you Robert for finding that article that details more of Mr. SteveUanna's views.

I am sure we are all interested in seeing the letters to which he refers:

In my site you will see two handwritten letters that I contend Lansdale wrote that could be the key to solving the Kennedy assassination. But it will take the cooperation of a man who claims he wrote one of the letters. This letter involes Robert Kenndey, anti Castro Cubans, David Ferrie, Aracha Smith and a convoluted scenario that has kept investigators going in circles for decades

I spoke with him by phone, he gave me his e-mail address and I am sure we will hear more from this gentleman whose father certainly had an interesting career.

I will invite him to join the Forum.

I assume the Landsdale letters were not written to his father. Does anyone know the letters to which he refers and says, intriguingly, "could be the key to solving the Kennedy assassination"? Most curious!

Note: This post was posted before I saw the link on Steve's post.

Edited by Tim Gratz

And Steve somehow got into the web-site. Quite a document! A lot to ponder!

Out of time to read it all now but it certainly looks interesting! I'm sure none of us will agree with all of it; some of it is fairly deep into Bible prophecy and astrology. But certainly a lot to absord and think about.

And Steve somehow got into the web-site.  Quite a document!  A lot to ponder!

Out of time to read it all now but it certainly looks interesting!  I'm sure none of us will agree with all of it; some of it is fairly deep into Bible prophecy and astrology.  But certainly a lot to absord and think about.

Can somebody please send me this picture? If this is indeed the Martens letter, it would be very interesting. Recall that Martens said that his original letter was stolen. If this is the actual letter of marquee, and not the reproduction that Martens made, it would be VERY interesting.