The Education Forum

SMART learning & "this mad wicked folly"

Donald Cumming

Very briefly, before we come back and write a fuller account, our objective was to show how we have taken ideas such as Accelerated Learning/Multiple Intelligences/Brain Gym/Active Learning (and so on) and developed them for the History classroom, using ICT as the tool that helps us deliver our lessons in a more effective way.

To illuminate this we will:

* Explain some of the theory

* Try to show some practical ideas

* Explain how we use ICT

* Suggest other places to look for further ideas/etc

I would just like to thank John/everyone for inviting us to come along, and Anders for organising such a fine conference. I now feel very European!

Donald

It was a great presentation. I look forward to reading details of the theory and the practical aspects of this approach to teaching. I am sure other members of the Forum will learn a lot from this presentation.

Interesting point about feeling European. Until I joined the Virtual School I did not consider myself to be European. Cooperation with European colleagues definitely changed my concept of what being a European means.

Your presentation of the use of ICT in your preparations for a multi sense approach with lots of good practice was very rewarding. It gave me flashbacks as well as new ideas. It's important to be reminded what teaching is all about sometimes - and you did remind us of that in a very pedagogical and interesting way. I'm looking forward to read your summary as well as maybe see a little video clip when you practice some of these skills with your students in the near future. B)

I wonder whether Sarah and Donald would be willing to answer online questions from trainee teachers on their methods??

It would also be good if the movie file of their presentation be attached here or on the E-Help website as a training resource

It would also be good if the movie file of their presentation be attached here or on the E-Help website as a training resource

I actually captured this video (90 minutes) yesterday. The quality is not as good as in the Toulouse meeting (largely a sound issue) but it is certaily good enough. I will be sending Donald a DVD and Windows Movie File copy of the video in the next few days. He has hinted that he is willing to edit some of the key aspects for us.

Until Donald and Sarah post their seminar I thought it might be worth members reading what Alistair Smith's publishers said about his book "Accelerated Learning in the Classroom"

Book 1

The first book in the UK to apply new understandings about the role of the brain in learning to the classroom, this book clearly outlines what all teachers should know about how children learn. It includes advice on how to create the ideal environment for learning and how to help learners to fulfil their potential.

The original classic text on the subject; now in its fifth reprint.

Back Cover

Alistair Smith has been a teacher, advisory teacher and member of the Advisory Service. An entertaining and engaging author, he is highly regarded for his ability to relate perspectives on learning to the practice of real classrooms.

This is the first book in the UK to apply Accelerated Learning to classrooms:

Based on new knowledge about how we learn

Turns theory into classroom practice

Focuses on how learners learn

Applies to all learners.

What the book covers:

How to make greater use of the brain: how to use strategies to improve whole brain learning. Learn how the brain works in learning.

Multiple intelligences: if pupils use their various intelligences to access and process information, the pace of learning can be increased and understanding deepened.

Learning environment and self-esteem: how teachers can create a learning environment which promotes achievement. Using the BASIS model of self-esteem, it shows how to build and maintain self-esteem and a belief in success.

Action points for your classroom: practical ways in which teachers can apply these theories to their own classrooms.

Raising pupil motivation and achievement: strategies for helping learners fulfil their potential.

Network Educational Press

http://www.networkpress.co.uk/ALIC.html

You can find out more about Alistair Smith at his website:

http://www.alite.co.uk/about_us/people/alistair_smith.htm

http://www.alite.co.uk/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...

My first impression when listening and watching Sarah and Donald presentation was a kind of joy. To see a pair of teachers teaching in a dedicated and innovative way give one a pleasure ……

My second impression and following question is; how could all this playfulness be converted to High School environment where the older teenage students are more demanding and more critical when the intellectual content of teacher’s lessons are measured and valuated by them.

I’m most keen on Anders answer, because he teaches at High School like me ……. But if there are any others who do have thoughts about this …… you are welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the key word to whatever level you teach is "activity". There are several ways to get students within the

High School environment where the older teenage students are more demanding and more critical when the intellectual content of teacher’s lessons are measured and valuated by them
active, but they very soon detect if you do not give them any worthwile content. Of course this vary from different High Schools as well. I have tought at Hvitfeldtska the last 8 years and my students are in general very motivated so they have high demands on the content. As long as you do go through what they believe is relevant you can use any form of presentation - from long traditional lectures (which I truly believe is necessary sometimes if we should be able to prepare them for Higher Education) to role plays and well prepared exercises using ICT. I personally think that Sarahs and Donalds samples could play an important role when you meet students with less motivation - I have tought several years at High Schools with "low producing" students as well. Here this more social approach which includes classroom activities becomes the way of trying to give them the content necessary. Very clear instructions with step-by-step targets/aims tought in a more varied classroom environment was for me a way to try to reach the national aims within my topic. I was fortunate enough to also work together with collegues who were willing to do the same changes. This meant that the classroom sometimes moved outside the classroom. We used half a day - sometimes a whole day together working with themes in the environment around applying some basic "topic skills" - so the students saw the practical use of their learning. This often demanded more planning, but it was sometimes easier to perform...

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier Dalibor but I got to experience a week of vacation in Rome... :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...