The Education Forum

Drew Pearson and the assassination of JFK

Drew Pearson was America's leading investigative journalist in 1963. However, as far as I can see, little has been written about his thoughts on the assassination of John Kennedy.

First of all I want to look at his record.

In 1929 Drew Pearson became Washington correspondent of the Baltimore Sun. Three years later he joined the Scripps-Howard syndicate, United Features. His Merry-Go-Round column was published in newspapers all over the United States. He soon established himself as an anti-corruption journalist. His politics came from his religious beliefs - he was a Quaker.

Pearson was a strong supporter of Franklin D. Roosevelt and his New Deal program. He also upset more conservative editors when he advocated United States involvement in the struggle against fascism in Europe. Pearson's articles were often censored and so in 1941 he switched to the more liberal The Washington Post.

During the Second World War Pearson created a great deal of controversy when he took up the case of John Gates, a member of the American Communist Party, who was not allowed to take part in the D-Day landings. Gates later pointed out: "Newspaper columnist Drew Pearson published an account of my case... Syndicated coast-to-coast, the column meant well but it contained all kinds of unauthorized, secret military information - the name of my battalion, the fact that it had been alerted for overseas, my letter to the President and his reply, and the officers' affidavits. As a result of this violation of military secrecy, the date for the outfit going overseas was postponed, the order restoring me to my battalion was countermanded and I was out of it for good. It seems that some of my friends, a bit overzealous in my cause, had given Pearson all this information, thinking the publicity would do me good."

Pearson also became a radio broadcaster. He soon became one of America's most popular radio personalities. After the war he was an enthusiastic supporter of the United Nations and helped to organize the Friendship Train project in 1947. The train travelled coast-to-coast collecting gifts of food for those people in Europe still suffering from the consequences of the war.

In 1947 Jack Anderson became Pearson's assistant. Anderson had worked for the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) in China in the Second World War. This included working with Paul Helliwell, John K. Singlaub, Ray S. Cline, Richard Helms, E. Howard Hunt, Mitchell WerBell, Robert Emmett Johnson and Lucien Conein. Others working in China at that time included Tommy Corcoran, Whiting Willauer and William Pawley. I am convinced that Anderson was also working for the OSS that became the CIA in 1947.

Over the next few years Anderson was able to use his contacts that he had developed in the OSS to help Pearson with his stories. One of Anderson's first stories concerned the dispute between Howard Hughes, the owner of Trans World Airlines and Owen Brewster, chairman of the Senate War Investigating Committee. Hughes claimed that Brewster was being paid by Pan American World Airways (Pan Am) to persuade the United States government to set up an official worldwide monopoly under its control. Part of this plan was to force all existing American carriers with overseas operations to close down or merge with Pan Am. As the owner of Trans World Airlines, Hughes posed a serious threat to this plan. Hughes claimed that Brewster had approached him and suggested he merge Trans World with Pan Am. Pearson and Anderson began a campaign against Brewster. They reported that Pan Am had provided Bewster with free flights to Hobe Sound, Florida, where he stayed free of charge at the holiday home of Pan Am Vice President Sam Pryor. As a result of this campaign Bewster lost his seat in Congress.

In the late 1940s Anderson became friendly with Joseph McCarthy. As he pointed out in his autobiography, Confessions of a Muckraker, "Joe McCarthy... was a pal of mine, irresponsible to be sure, but a fellow bachelor of vast amiability and an excellent source of inside dope on the Hill." McCarthy began supplying Anderson with stories about suspected communists in government. Pearson refused to publish these stories as he was very suspicious of the motives of people like McCarthy. In fact, in 1948, Pearson began investigating J. Parnell Thomas, the Chairman of the House of Un-American Activities Committee. It was not long before Thomas' secretary, Helen Campbell, began providing information about his illegal activities. On 4th August, 1948, Pearson published the story that Thomas had been putting friends on his congressional payroll. They did no work but in return shared their salaries with Thomas.

Called before a grand jury, J. Parnell Thomas availed himself to the 1st Amendment, a strategy that he had been unwilling to accept when dealing with the Hollywood Ten. Indicted on charges of conspiracy to defraud the government, Thomas was found guilty and sentenced to 18 months in prison and forced to pay a $10,000 fine. Two of his fellow inmates in Danbury Federal Correctional Institution were Lester Cole and Ring Lardner Jr. who were serving terms as a result of refusing to testify in front of Thomas and the House of Un-American Activities Committee.

In 1949 Pearson criticised the Secretary of Defence, James Forrestal, for his conservative views on foreign policy. He told Jack Anderson that he believed Forrestal was "the most dangerous man in America" and claimed that if he was not removed from office he would "cause another world war". Pearson also suggested that Forrestal was guilty of corruption. Pearson was blamed when Forrestal committed suicide on 22nd May 1949. One journalist, Westbrook Pegler, wrote: "For months, Drew Pearson... hounded Jim Forrestal with dirty aspersions and insinuations, until, at last, exhausted and his nerves unstrung, one of the finest servants that the Republic ever had died of suicide."

Drew Pearson also began investigating General Douglas MacArthur. In December, 1949, Anderson got hold of a top-secret cable from MacArthur to the Joint Chiefs of Staff, expressing his disagreement with President Harry S. Truman concerning Chaing Kai-shek. On 22nd December, 1949, Pearson published the story that: "General MacArthur has sent a triple-urgent cable urging that Formosa be occupied by U.S. troops." Pearson argued that MacArthur was "trying to dictate U.S. foreign policy in the Far East".

Harry S. Truman and Dean Acheson, the Secretary of State, told MacArthur to limit the war to Korea. MacArthur disagreed, favoring an attack on Chinese forces. Unwilling to accept the views of Truman and Dean Acheson, MacArthur began to make inflammatory statements indicating his disagreements with the United States government.

MacArthur gained support from right-wing members of the Senate such as Joe McCarthy who led the attack on Truman's administration: "With half a million Communists in Korea killing American men, Acheson says, 'Now let's be calm, let's do nothing'. It is like advising a man whose family is being killed not to take hasty action for fear he might alienate the affection of the murders."

On 7th October, 1950, Douglas MacArthur launched an invasion of North Korea by the end of the month had reached the Yalu River, close to the frontier of China. On 20th November, Pearson wrote in his column that the Chinese were following a strategy that was "sucking our troops into a trap." Three days later the Chinese Army launched an attack on MacArthur's army. North Korean forces took Seoul in January 1951. Two months later, Harry S. Truman removed MacArthur from his command of the United Nations forces in Korea.

Joe McCarthy continued to provide Jack Anderson with a lot of information. In his autobiography, Confessions of a Muckraker, Anderson pointed out: "At my prompting he (McCarthy) would phone fellow senators to ask what had transpired this morning behind closed doors or what strategy was planned for the morrow. While I listened in on an extension he would pump even a Robert Taft or a William Knowland with the handwritten questions I passed him."

In return, Anderson provided McCarthy with information about politicians and state officials he suspected of being "communists". Anderson later recalled that his decision to work with McCarthy "was almost automatic.. for one thing, I owed him; for another, he might be able to flesh out some of our inconclusive material, and if so, I would no doubt get the scoop." As a result Anderson passed on his file on the presidential aide, David Demarest Lloyd.

On 9th February, 1950, Joe McCarthy made a speech in Salt Lake City where he attacked Dean Acheson, the Secretary of State, as "a pompous diplomat in striped pants". He claimed that he had a list of 57 people in the State Department that were known to be members of the American Communist Party. McCarthy went on to argue that some of these people were passing secret information to the Soviet Union. He added: "The reason why we find ourselves in a position of impotency is not because the enemy has sent men to invade our shores, but rather because of the traitorous actions of those who have had all the benefits that the wealthiest nation on earth has had to offer - the finest homes, the finest college educations, and the finest jobs in Government we can give."

The list of names was not a secret and had been in fact published by the Secretary of State in 1946. These people had been identified during a preliminary screening of 3,000 federal employees. Some had been communists but others had been fascists, alcoholics and sexual deviants. As it happens, if McCarthy had been screened, his own drink problems and sexual preferences would have resulted in him being put on the list.

Pearson immediately launched an attack on Joe McCarthy. He pointed out that only three people on the list were State Department officials. He added that when this list was first published four years ago, Gustavo Duran and Mary Jane Keeney had both resigned from the State Department (1946). He added that the third person, John S. Service, had been cleared after a prolonged and careful investigation. Pearson also argued that none of these people had been named were members of the American Communist Party.

Jack Anderson asked Pearson to stop attacking McCarthy: "He is our best source on the Hill." Pearson replied, "He may be a good source, Jack, but he's a bad man."

On 20th February, 1950, Joe McCarthy made a speech in the Senate supporting the allegations he had made in Salt Lake City. This time he did not describe them as "card-carrying communists" because this had been shown to be untrue. Instead he argued that his list were all "loyalty risks". He also claimed that one of the president's speech-writers, was a communist. Although he did not name him, he was referring to David Demarest Lloyd, the man that Anderson had provided information on.

Lloyd immediately issued a statement where he defended himself against McCarthy's charges. President Harry S. Truman not only kept him on but promoted him to the post of Administrative Assistant. Lloyd was indeed innocent of these claims and McCarthy was forced to withdraw these allegations. As Anderson admitted: "At my instigation, then, Lloyd had been done an injustice that was saved from being grevious only by Truman's steadfastness."

McCarthy now informed Jack Anderson that he had evidence that Professor Owen Lattimore, director of the Walter Hines Page School of International Relations at Johns Hopkins University, was a Soviet spy. Pearson, who knew Lattimore, and while accepting he held left-wing views, he was convinced he was not a spy. In his speeches, McCarthy referred to Lattimore as "Mr X... the top Russian spy... the key man in a Russian espionage ring."

On 26th March, 1950, Pearson named Lattimore as McCarthy's Mr. X. Pearson then went onto defend Lattimore against these charges. McCarthy responded by making a speech in Congress where he admitted: "I fear that in the case of Lattimore I may have perhaps placed too much stress on the question of whether he is a paid espionage agent."

McCarthy then produced Louis Budenz, the former editor of The Daily Worker. Budenz claimed that Lattimore was a "concealed communist". However, as Jack Anderson admitted: "Budenz had never met Lattimore; he spoke not from personal observation of him but from what he remembered of what others had told him five, six, seven and thirteen years before."

Pearson now wrote an article where he showed that Budenz was a serial xxxx: "Apologists for Budenz minimize this on the ground that Budenz has now reformed. Nevertheless, untruthful statements made regarding his past and refusal to answer questions have a bearing on Budenz's credibility." He went on to point out that "all in all, Budenz refused to answer 23 questions on the ground of self-incrimination".

Owen Lattimore was eventually cleared of the charge that he was a Soviet spy or a secret member of the American Communist Party and like several other victims of McCarthyism, he went to live in Europe and for several years was professor of Chinese studies at Leeds University.

Despite the efforts of Jack Anderson, by the end of June, 1950, Drew Pearson had written more than forty daily columns and a significant percentage of his weekly radio broadcasts, that had been devoted to discrediting the charges made by Joseph McCarthy. He now decided to take on Pearson and he told Anderson: "Jack, I'm going to have to go after your boss. I mean, no holds barred. I figure I've already lost his supporters; by going after him, I can pick up his enemies." McCarthy, when drunk, told Assistant Attorney General Joe Keenan, that he was considering "bumping Pearson off".

On 15th December, 1950, McCarthy made a speech in Congress where he claimed that Pearson was "the voice of international Communism" and "a Moscow-directed character assassin." McCarthy added that Pearson was "a prostitute of journalism" and that Pearson "and the Communist Party murdered James Forrestal in just as cold blood as though they had machine-gunned him."

Over the next two months Joseph McCarthy made seven Senate speeches on Drew Pearson. He called for a "patriotic boycott" of his radio show and as a result, Adam Hats, withdrew as Pearson's radio sponsor. Although he was able to make a series of short-term arrangements, Pearson was never again able to find a permanent sponsor. Twelve newspapers cancelled their contract with Pearson.

Joe McCarthy and his friends also raised money to help Fred Napoleon Howser, the Attorney General of California, to sue Pearson for $350,000. This involved an incident in 1948 when Pearson accused Howser of consorting with mobsters and of taking a bribe from gambling interests. Help was also given to Father Charles Coughlin, who sued Pearson for $225,000. However, in 1951 the courts ruled that Pearson had not libeled either Howser or Coughlin.

Only the St. Louis Star-Times defended Pearson. As its editorial pointed out: "If Joseph McCarthy can silence a critic named Drew Pearson, simply by smearing him with the brush of Communist association, he can silence any other critic." However, Pearson did get the support of J. William Fulbright, Wayne Morse, Clinton Anderson, William Benton and Thomas Hennings in the Senate.

In October, 1953, Joe McCarthy began investigating communist infiltration into the military. Attempts were made by McCarthy to discredit Robert T. Stevens, the Secretary of the Army. The president, Dwight Eisenhower, was furious and now realised that it was time to bring an end to McCarthy's activities.

The United States Army now passed information about McCarthy to journalists who were known to be opposed to him. This included the news that McCarthy and Roy Cohn had abused congressional privilege by trying to prevent David Schine from being drafted. When that failed, it was claimed that Cohn tried to pressurize the Army into granting Schine special privileges. Pearson published the story on 15th December, 1953.

Some figures in the media, such as writers George Seldes and I. F. Stone, and cartoonists, Herb Block and Daniel Fitzpatrick, had fought a long campaign against McCarthy. Other figures in the media, who had for a long time been opposed to McCarthyism, but were frightened to speak out, now began to get the confidence to join the counter-attack. Edward Murrow, the experienced broadcaster, used his television programme, See It Now, on 9th March, 1954, to criticize McCarthy's methods. Newspaper columnists such as Walter Lippmann also became more open in their attacks on McCarthy.

The senate investigations into the United States Army were televised and this helped to expose the tactics of Joseph McCarthy. One newspaper, the Louisville Courier-Journal, reported that: "In this long, degrading travesty of the democratic process, McCarthy has shown himself to be evil and unmatched in malice." Leading politicians in both parties, had been embarrassed by McCarthy's performance and on 2nd December, 1954, a censure motion condemned his conduct by 67 votes to 22.

McCarthy also lost the chairmanship of the Government Committee on Operations of the Senate. He was now without a power base and the media lost interest in his claims of a communist conspiracy. As one journalist, Willard Edwards, pointed out: "Most reporters just refused to file McCarthy stories. And most papers would not have printed them anyway."

In 1956 Pearson began investigating the relationship between Lyndon B. Johnson and two businessmen, George R. Brown and Herman Brown. Pearson believed that Johnson had arranged for the Texas-based Brown and Root Construction Company to avoid large tax bills. Johnson brought an end to this investigation by offering Pearson a deal. If Pearson dropped his Brown-Root crusade, Johnson would support the presidential ambitions of Estes Kefauver. Pearson accepted and wrote in his diary (16th April, 1956): "This is the first time I've ever made a deal like this, and I feel a little unhappy about it. With the Presidency of the United States at stake, maybe it's justified, maybe not - I don't know."

Jack Anderson also helped Pearson investigate stories of corruption inside the administration of President Dwight Eisenhower. They discovered that Eisenhower had received gifts worth more than $500,000 from "big-business well-wishers." In 1957 Anderson threaten to quit because these stories always appeared under Pearson's name. Pearson responded by promising him more bylines and pledged to leave the column to him when he died.

Pearson and Anderson began investigating the presidential assistant Sherman Adams. The former governor of New Hampshire, was considered to be a key figure in Eisenhower's administration. Anderson discovered that Bernard Goldfine, a wealthy industrialist, had given Adams a large number of presents. This included suits, overcoats, alcohol, furnishings and the payment of hotel and resort bills. Anderson eventually found evidence that Adams had twice persuaded the Federal Trade Commission to "ease up its pursuit of Goldfine for putting false labels on the products of his textile plants."

The story was eventually published in 1958 and Adams was forced to resign from office. However, Jack Anderson was much criticized for the way he carried out his investigation and one of his assistants, Les Whitten, was arrested by the FBI for receiving stolen government documents.

In 1960 Pearson supported Hubert Humphrey in his efforts to become the Democratic Party candidate. However, those campaigning for John F. Kennedy, accused him of being a draft dodger. As a result, when Humphrey dropped out of the race, Pearson switched his support to Lyndon B. Johnson. However, it was Kennedy who eventually got the nomination.

Pearson now supported Kennedy's attempt to become president. One of the ways he helped his campaign was to investigate the relationship between Howard Hughes and Richard Nixon. Pearson and Anderson discovered that in 1956 the Hughes Tool Company provided a $205,000 loan to Nixon Incorporated, a company run by Richard's brother, Francis Donald Nixon. The money was never paid back. Soon after the money was paid the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) reversed a previous decision to grant tax-exempt status to the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.

This information was revealed by Pearson and Jack Anderson during the 1960 presidential campaign. Nixon initially denied the loan but later was forced to admit that this money had been given to his brother. It was claimed that this story helped John F. Kennedy defeat Nixon in the election.

Like other political journalists, Pearson and Anderson investigated the death of President John F. Kennedy. Sources close to John McCone and Robert Kennedy claimed that the assassination was linked to the plots against Fidel Castro of Cuba.

In 1966 attempts were made to deport Johnny Roselli as an illegal alien. Roselli moved to Los Angeles where he went into early retirement. It was at this time he told attorney, Edward Morgan: "The last of the sniper teams dispatched by Robert Kennedy in 1963 to assassinate Fidel Castro were captured in Havana. Under torture they broke and confessed to being sponsored by the CIA and the US government. At that point, Castro remarked that, 'If that was the way President Kennedy wanted it, Cuba could engage in the same tactics'. The result was that Castro infiltrated teams of snipers into the US to kill Kennedy".

Morgan took the story to Pearson. The story was then passed on to Earl Warren. He did not want anything to do with it and so the information was then passed to the FBI. When they failed to investigate the story Jack Anderson wrote an article entitled "President Johnson is sitting on a political H-bomb" about Roselli's story. It has been suggested that Roselli started this story at the request of his friends in the Central Intelligence Agency in order to divert attention from the investigation being carried out by Jim Garrison.

In 1968 Jack Anderson and Drew Pearson published The Case Against Congress. The book documented examples of how politicians had "abused their power and priviledge by placing their own interests ahead of those of the American people". This included the activities of Bobby Baker, James Eastland, Lyndon B. Johnson, Dwight Eisenhower, Hubert Humphrey, Everett Dirksen, Thomas J. Dodd, John McClellan and Clark Clifford.

On 18th July, 1969, Mary Jo Kopechne, died while in the car of Edward Kennedy. Pearson was investigating the case when he died on 1st September. Chalmers Roberts of the Washington Post wrote: "Drew Pearson was a muckraker with a Quaker conscience. In print he sounded fierce; in life he was gentle, even courtly. For thirty-eight years he did more than any man to keep the national capital honest."

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USApearsonD.htm

Called before a grand jury, J. Parnell Thomas availed himself to the 1st Amendment,...

For purposes of accuracy, I would suggest that you probably meant the Fifth Amendment, which guarantees the right to refuse to incriminate oneself. First Amendment is frequently cited in "freedom of speech" arguments, but would seem to be irrelevant in the case being cited.

Called before a grand jury, J. Parnell Thomas availed himself to the 1st Amendment,...

For purposes of accuracy, I would suggest that you probably meant the Fifth Amendment, which guarantees the right to refuse to incriminate oneself. First Amendment is frequently cited in "freedom of speech" arguments, but would seem to be irrelevant in the case being cited.

You are of course right. Whereas the Hollywood Ten used the 1st Amendment, J. Parnell Thomas employed the 5th Amendment in his defence.

Ring Lardner Jr. was interviewed by John Parnell Thomas, chairman of the House of Un-American Activities Committee, on 30th October, 1947.

J. Parnell Thomas: Are you or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?

Ring Larner Jr: I could answer exactly the way you want, Mr. Chairman but I think that is a...

J. Parnell Thomas: It is not a question of our wanted you to answer that. It is a very simple question. Any real American would be proud to answer the question.

Ring Larner Jr: It depends on the circumstances. I could answer it, but if I did I would hate myself in the morning.

J. Parnell Thomas: Leave the witness chair.

Ring Larner Jr: It was a question that would...

J. Parnell Thomas: (pounding gavel) Leave the witness chair.

Ring Larner Jr: I think I am leaving by force.

J. Parnell Thomas: Sergeant, take the witness away.

Ring Larner, who later went on to win the Academy Award for MASH, had the pleasure of seeing Parnell arrive at Danbury Federal Correctional Institution where he was serving his sentence.

You can see a short video of J. Parnell Thomas here:

John, you may want to add that Pearson was, at times. a hatchet man. Although he'd occasionally crossed swords with LBJ, he was in the process of attacking LBJ's accuser, Don Reynolds, when Kennedy was shot. If I recall, in Pearson's oral history with the LBJ Library he even intimates that he was to meet with LBJ on the night of the assassination, at LBJ's ranch, and coordinate their attacks on Reynolds. (I don't remember if he spells this out or not, but that's what I took from the two of them meeting on the very day Reynolds was to testify against LBJ.)

I think his ties to Robert Maheu are also significant. The two coordinated activities during the Hughes/Brewster feud. They worked again on the 1960 campaign, when Maheu convinced Pearson to hold the Hughes/Nixon story so that it wouldn't hurt Nixon, and Pearson ended up publishing it anyhow, after Nixon gave the story to what he believed was a "friendly" journalist, and Pearson published it so he wouldn't be scooped on his own story.

This Maheu/Pearson relationship comes into play later as well. The 1967 Pearson/Anderson article claiming Bobby Kennedy ordered hits on Castro, and these backfired, was, according to the leaker, Morgan, not leaked by Rosselli to Morgan to Pearson, as so many believe, but by Maheu to Morgan to Pearson. Maheu, who was under investigation for illegal wiretapping (his bread and butter), was trying to send a message to Washington to back off. Pearson, of course, used this to his own advantage. Not only did he tell the story to Warren, he met directly with President Johnson, and told him the story. As the story claiming Bobby was responsible for his brother's death was held for months, and then INCREDIBLY--my, what a coinkydink--published the day after RFK broke with LBJ on the Vietnam War--it seems certain Pearson coordinated the release of this story with LBJ. That the published article leads with the assertion LBJ has been sitting on this bombshell should not distract us from what's obvious--that he released the bombshell via Pearson.

John, you may want to add that Pearson was, at times. a hatchet man. Although he'd occasionally crossed swords with LBJ, he was in the process of attacking LBJ's accuser, Don Reynolds, when Kennedy was shot. If I recall, in Pearson's oral history with the LBJ Library he even intimates that he was to meet with LBJ on the night of the assassination, at LBJ's ranch, and coordinate their attacks on Reynolds. (I don't remember if he spells this out or not, but that's what I took from the two of them meeting on the very day Reynolds was to testify against LBJ.)

I think his ties to Robert Maheu are also significant. The two coordinated activities during the Hughes/Brewster feud. They worked again on the 1960 campaign, when Maheu convinced Pearson to hold the Hughes/Nixon story so that it wouldn't hurt Nixon, and Pearson ended up publishing it anyhow, after Nixon gave the story to what he believed was a "friendly" journalist, and Pearson published it so he wouldn't be scooped on his own story.

This Maheu/Pearson relationship comes into play later as well. The 1967 Pearson/Anderson article claiming Bobby Kennedy ordered hits on Castro, and these backfired, was, according to the leaker, Morgan, not leaked by Rosselli to Morgan to Pearson, as so many believe, but by Maheu to Morgan to Pearson. Maheu, who was under investigation for illegal wiretapping (his bread and butter), was trying to send a message to Washington to back off. Pearson, of course, used this to his own advantage. Not only did he tell the story to Warren, he met directly with President Johnson, and told him the story. As the story claiming Bobby was responsible for his brother's death was held for months, and then INCREDIBLY--my, what a coinkydink--published the day after RFK broke with LBJ on the Vietnam War--it seems certain Pearson coordinated the release of this story with LBJ. That the published article leads with the assertion LBJ has been sitting on this bombshell should not distract us from what's obvious--that he released the bombshell via Pearson.

Thank you for this very informative posting. According to his diaries, Pearson considered LBJ a crook. This is confirmed by Anderson's book, Confessions of a Muckraker. Most of Pearson's investigative work focused on the "right" as he was clearly on the left. Anderson admits that he tried to protect those on the right such as Joe McCarthy from Pearson.

In 1956 Pearson began investigating the relationship between Johnson and two businessmen, George R. Brown and Herman Brown. Pearson believed that Johnson had arranged for the Texas-based Brown and Root Construction Company to avoid large tax bills. Johnson brought an end to this investigation by offering Pearson a deal. If Pearson dropped his Brown-Root crusade, Johnson would support the presidential ambitions of Estes Kefauver. Pearson accepted and wrote in his diary (16th April, 1956): "This is the first time I've ever made a deal like this, and I feel a little unhappy about it. With the Presidency of the United States at stake, maybe it's justified, maybe not - I don't know."

From this point on Pearson was willing to do deals with Johnson in order to further his own liberal objectives. This included his attacks on Reynolds. LBJ knew how to play Pearson by leaking information about Reynolds' right-wing past. On 5th February, 1964, Pearson and Anderson wrote in the Washington Post that Reynolds had lied about his academic success at West Point. The article also claimed that Reynolds had been a supporter of Joseph McCarthy and had accused business rivals of being secret members of the American Communist Party. It was also revealed that Reynolds had made anti-Semitic remarks while in Berlin in 1953.

Guest Tom Scully

John,

I suspect that the combination of this paragraph from Pearson's October 26, 1963 column, and the quote from his diaries published posthumously in 1974, naming the "household names" of the October, 1963 column, indicates that Pearson knew that Tom Clark and Earl Warren had intentionally "fixed" the Warren Commission's investigation into the possibility of conspiracy, from 1964 until his death in 1969.

Did you not include this angle because it does not impress you, or for some other reason? Why do you think it has been so underemphasized, even though PD Scott and Anthony Summers wrote about it, even without associating Pearson's description of Tom Clark's 1946 knowledge with Clark's 1956 law clerk choice and his 1963 affirmation of Albert Jenner, described by Earl Warren to his fellow Commisioners in an executive session?

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=A8sqA...sehol&hl=en

4291943641_4f6021db38_o.jpg

From the left column iin the above article image:

http://dspace.wrlc.org/doc/bitstream/2041/...026zdisplay.pdf

...I took the story back to Washington and Attorney General Clark authorized a dozen or so FBI men to check on

Ragen's facts. A couple of weeks later they reported that they were true. They also reported that control of the underworld reached into very high places. Some of the rulers of the underworld had become supposedly respected businessmen and politicians whose names were household words in Chicago. Some of them, it was stated, had reformed. Yet they still controlled the mob....

http://books.google.com/books?cd=2&q=r...nG=Search+Books

4413385994_dfabde9872_o.jpg

4412628867_dfa8d28d3e_o.jpg

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=jud...391724319249464

Ex-farmer, judge Crown remembered as 'wise, fair'

- Daily Herald - NewsBank - Mar 8, 1997

Crown clerked for US Supreme Court Justice Tom Clark from 1956 to 1959 and ... law at the Chicago firm of Jenner and Block, where he became a partner. ...

John J. Crown, judge, philanthropist

- Chicago Sun-Times - NewsBank - Mar 6, 1997

John J. Crown, 67, a former Cook County Circuit Court judge and youngest son of ... In 1959, he joined the law firm of Jenner & Block. ...

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&q=...%27s+references

The Kennedy assassination cover-up‎ - Page 96

Donald Gibson - History - 2000 - 306 pages+

4287502320_fa33791e8c_o.jpg

Edited by Tom Scully

John,

I suspect that the combination of this paragraph from Pearson's October 26, 1963 column, and the quote from his diaries published posthumously in 1974, naming the "household names" of the October, 1963 column, indicates that Pearson knew that Tom Clark and Earl Warren had intentionally "fixed" the Warren Commission's investigation into the possibility of conspiracy, from 1964 until his death in 1969.

Did you not include this angle because it does not impress you, or for some other reason? Why do you think it has been so underemphasized, even though PD Scott and Anthony Summers wrote about it, even without associating Pearson's description of Tom Clark's 1946 knowledge with Clark's 1956 law clerk choice and his 1963 affirmation of Albert Jenner, described by Earl Warren to his fellow Commisioners in an executive session?

The only reason I did not include it was that I was unaware of this story. I will need to do further research.

Guest Tom Scully

Thank you, John.

I've posted more about Tom Clark and the Chicago, "household names," in this thread.:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...mp;#entry180439

In 1937, George Abell accused Pearson, who was recently married to Abell's ex-wife, Luvie, of participating in the "kidnapping" of the divorced couple's son, Tyler Abell, ftom the Island of Sark.:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,882815,00.html

Tyler's mother was soon awarded full custody of her son.

Tyler later became an attorney, and married a woman who was cloise to Ladybird Johnson.:

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?um=1&...ird+tyler+abell

Ladybird Is Packing .

Toledo Blade - Google News Archive - Sep 12, 1968

Bess Abell, Mrs. Johnson's social secretary, hopes to have more time to devote to her family and to being Mrs. Tyler Abell.

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=Bes...s&scoring=a

First Lady's Good Right Arm

- Los Angeles Times - ProQuest Archiver - Dec 12, 1963

Coming under her direc- tion also will be the new social secretary, Bess Abell, who formerly was Mrs. Johnson's personal secre- . New Assignment ...

I would like to think that Pearson, considering Tyler's wife, did not further publicize the easy conclusion to make; that Tom Clark had told Pearson in 1946 who James Ragen had said, and the FBI inquiries confirmed, were the chiefs of the Chicago syndicate, yet Clark moved closer to Henry Crown, and Earl Warren to Conrad Hilton.

Also, in 1954, William O. Douglas's brother sold the Statler Hotel group to Hilton and Crown.

It is, of course, possible that Pearson was instructed, "from high places", after the publication of his Oct. 26, 1963 column, to drop the subject he had emphatically published in that column.:

...Some of the rulers of the underworld had become supposedly respected businessmen and politicians whose names were household words in Chicago. Some of them, it was stated, had reformed. Yet they still controlled the mob.

If Pearson was silent in consideration of Bess Abell's special relationship with the White House, why did Bess's husband Tyler, editor of Pearson's diaries, allow the publication of the "household names," Crown, Hilton, Arvey, and Annenberg? Abell could have destroyed the file containing those names. The combination of Pearson's Oct. 26, 1963 column, especailly the sentence, "Yet they still controlled the mob." and the names published in his diary, attributed to Tom Clark, makes the appointment of Earl Warren by LBJ to head the WC, a matter of serious concern, but Warren's "suggestion" of Albert E. Jenner, supported by Tom Clark, makes it a mob, "fix."

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?pz=1&...nge=1990%2C2010

Drew Pearson as useful citizen

Pay-Per-View - Chicago Tribune - ProQuest Archiver - Jan 26, 1974

DREW PEARSON'S diaries from 1949 to 1959, edited by his stepson, Tyler Abell, will soon be in the bookstores. I hope the publishers, Holt, Rinehart and ...

Related web pages

Bess Abell Turned Secretarial Skills Into Summit Position .

Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Google News Archive - Jul 7, 1978

WASHINGTON ( UI When Bess Clements eloped with Tyler Abell after a New ... It sounds like the sort of someday promise Tyler Abell made his bride years ago .

AGENCY INFORMATION

AGENCY : DOJ

RECORD NUMBER : 179-20002-10345

RECORDS SERIES : CLASSIFIED SUBJECT FILE 129-11, OFFICIAL MAIL SECT. 1A

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : FBI

TO : [No To]

TITLE : [No Title]

DATE : 11/26/1963

PAGES : 1

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER, TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : PEARSON, DREW; BETANCOURT, ROMULO; TEJERA-PARIS,

ENRIQUE

CLASSIFICATION : UNCLASSIFIED

RESTRICTIONS : REFERRED

CURRENT STATUS : POSTPONED IN FULL

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 00/00/0000

COMMENTS : BOX 55

Guest Tom Scully
http://www.acorn.net/jfkplace/09/fp.back_i...ue/arrb_13.html

Document # 124-10087-10328 Is a two page document from SAC, Washington Field Office to Director dated 11/26/63.

Page 1 is an airtel. "Enclosed are five copies of an LHM dated and captioned as above. The source of information is [ ].

"The LHM is classified "Confidential" since information furnished could result in identification of a confidential informant of continuing value and compromise the future effectiveness thereof.

On November 26, 1963, a confidential informant who has furnished reliable information in the past, advised that Venezuelan Ambassador Enrique Tejera-Paris, under instructions from Venezuelan President Romulo Betancourt, had invited Drew Pearson, newspaper columnist, to observe elections in Venezuela "next Sunday." Pearson revealed that there were plans being made for a memorial service for President Kennedy "that evening" and he felt he must attend. He, therefore, declined the invitation to observe the elections.

Pearson indicated that he was trying to organize approximately 40,000 members of the Protestant, Catholic and Jewish religions to stage a march on President Kennedy's grave in order to do some thinking on the question of hate and intolerance.

According to the informant, Tejera has stated that the death of President Kennedy has had a tremendous impact on Latin America.

Edited by Tom Scully

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tom Scully

During the last decade of Drew Pearson's life, he seemed to be engaged in a war of words

with neo-nazi, anti-semite, Willis Carto, publisher of TAM-Washington Observer Newsletter.

"TAM" was Carto's publication, "The American Mercury". It was fascinating to read that the

WO Newsletter published in 1968, accusations against Henry Crown which Pearson only hinted

about in his column while he was alive. The WO Newsletter seems to use the information it claimed

came from Justice Deparment files as a foundation for an anti-semitic attack against what it claimed

was an alliance of the democratic party, trade unions, la Cosa Nostra, and its Jewish "business" scions.

I find it disturbing that my research is tending to support these specific accusations.

http://books.google.com/books?cd=1&id=...2#search_anchor

Washington observer newsletter, Issues 51-90

Item notes: nos. 51-90 - 1968

4446708899_da4c039b9c_o.jpg

Drew Pearson ..Neo-nazis Blitz Wallace Youth

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&saf...q=&gs_rfai=

Washington observer newsletter

When Jack Anderson succeeded his mentor, the late Drew Pearson, he boasted:

"Now that I have a column of mv own, I'm not going to take

any pushing around from senators and other government officials. When I ask them for

information that I know thev have, I'm going to demand that they tell me....

http://books.google.com/books?id=tOYDAAAAM...rto&f=false

Mother Jones Magazine Apr 1981

"The Force of Willis Carto"

Edited by Tom Scully

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tom Scully

Is there any evidence that FBI offices in cities other than Chicago showed this level of concern

related to shielding from the public, the names of "businessmen" included in intelligence gathered

from informants, related to organized crime activity?

4494087785_06976eec92_o.jpg

When Edgar and Clyde vacationed in Miami, it was said that Lester Crown's father-in-law, Meyer Schine,

paid their tab.:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&saf...q=&gs_rfai=

Official and confidential: the secret life of J. Edgar Hoover‎ - Page 190

Anthony Summers - Biography & Autobiography - 1993 - 528 pages

....He and Clyde accepted Schine's hospitality at the Gulfstream, an exclusive set

of beach apartments in Miami Beach, and at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles...

Google has recently practiced a new policy limiting search results in google news and google books, and possibly in other search results, UNLESS you are logged in on your browser with your google ID. It has been said, if you want to remain anonymous in your internet searching activity, do not do internet searches.