The Education Forum

Neely St Questions

Received a call from Kristy Gray,

Kristy said she was not living with George and Clydie at the time but said her Aunt(?) was and handed the phone to a Minnie Williams.

She worked a lot and had a baby at the time she lived with Clydie but she does vividly recall Lee and Marina with baby June.

Marina spoke english to her. Not broken english either.

Oswalds did not drive.

Did not see any visitors.

Did not see them attend church.

Doesn't recall landlord/owner.

Thinks George and Clydie had a phone, but Marina did not ask to use it as far as Minnie knows.

Doesn't recall exactly what her and Marina discussed, baby stuff.

She worked at a bowling alley (Oak Cliff Bowling Alley?) as a waitress, she saw Jack Ruby playing pool there.

Re-interviewed Mr. James Jackson. He had some speculation as to how his pay stub was in LHO's possession.

He thought the dalliances of his ex-wife may have been to blame. Perhaps a local Lee found his way into her bedroom and he picked it up. James said his ex admitted to his daughter about her having affairs back then. She followed him from Chicago after a one night stand. His Father said he could not live with him since they were unwed so he left Chicago.

Said she has had several children with several other gentlemen, but her maiden name was Briar or Brier.

He recently found the Mary Ferrell site on the internet and has been reading it, does not believe that LHO did the act.

Ed

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received a call from Kristy Gray,

Kristy said she was not living with George and Clydie at the time but said her Aunt(?) was and handed the phone to a Minnie Williams.

She worked a lot and had a baby at the time she lived with Clydie but she does vividly recall Lee and Marina with baby June.

Marina spoke english to her. Not broken english either.

Oswalds did not drive.

Did not see any visitors.

Did not see them attend church.

Doesn't recall landlord/owner.

Thinks George and Clydie had a phone, but Marina did not ask to use it as far as Minnie knows.

Doesn't recall exactly what her and Marina discussed, baby stuff.

She worked at a bowling alley (Oak Cliff Bowling Alley?) as a waitress, she saw Jack Ruby playing pool there.

Re-interviewed Mr. James Jackson. He had some speculation as to how his pay stub was in LHO's possession.

He thought the dalliances of his ex-wife may have been to blame. Perhaps a local Lee found his way into her bedroom and he picked it up. James said his ex admitted to his daughter about her having affairs back then. She followed him from Chicago after a one night stand. His Father said he could not live with him since they were unwed so he left Chicago.

Said she has had several children with several other gentlemen, but her maiden name was Briar or Brier.

He recently found the Mary Ferrell site on the internet and has been reading it, does not believe that LHO did the act.

Ed

Ed,

This is very helpful material.

And I am even less convinced now that the Oswald's lived there.

Thanks Greg,

Minnie said Lee was completely unfriendly, she had little to no interaction with him.

It did seem strange Minnie saying that Marina spoke english, unbroken and clear english. I specifically asked about overhearing Oswald' conversations in Russian, Minnie could not recall overhearing any Russian spoken.

She recalls hearing the news of the assassination and of Ruby shooting Lee, but at the time with her job and baby she didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it.

She said "I guess that's why Lee was so unfriendly, that must have been the reason."

Will send some materials and re-interview.

Also James Jackson did not recognize the two American Bakeries pay checks from the Baylor University collection. He stated his wife at the time had 'visitors' and once caught his insurance man on the back stairs. James did not think much about it except why would the insurance guy not just use the front steps.

Will send photo materials and re-interview.

Ed

Edited by Ed LeDoux

• 2 weeks later...

I did a follow up with both Clydie Gray and James Jackson.

The conversation with James was very friendly as was Clydie.

Asked James about the pay slips and if he recognized his signature, he thought it is his hand writing.

James said he showed the pics I sent him to his daughter 'Patricia' and she thought the pic was of her. (Baby June Photo)

James didn't think it was her because his wife Sally Ann (Bryer) took the kids back to Chicago, ran off with them.

Sally said she (per James) knew Ruby. Some sort of Chicago connection.

I asked him about the insurance man he caught on the back stairs, James could not recall his name but he worked at Prudential. Said he gave him an insurance payment, didn't think much about it since the guy had a reason, business, to be there.

Again he stated his boy was born at Neely and girl was born after leaving Neely. (N. Boulevard Terrace)

Clydie Gray talked about Minnie Williams (whom lived with the Grays) talking to Marina.

She said they both had babies and would speak to each other often. (No Russian/foreign language)

Marina would stroll around the baby a lot.

Oswald did not speak much if at all to her.

She never saw any weapons.

She remembered James Jackson living there at Neely. (This surprised me!)

She recalled arguments from the upstairs when Oswald fought with Marina.

I asked if she could tell if they spoke Russian or English when they fought, she couldn't tell just loud banging on floor etc.

I asked if it could have been the baby playing, she said NO it was many loud arguments.

She said ask Minnie about it.

Again no Russian was spoke in her presence that she recalls.

Ed

Asked James about the pay slips and if he recognized his signature, he thought it is his hand writing.

James said he showed the pics I sent him to his daughter 'Patricia' and she thought the pic was of her. (Baby June Photo)

James didn't think it was her because his wife Sally Ann (Bryer) took the kids back to Chicago, ran off with them.

I asked him about the insurance man he caught on the back stairs, James could not recall his name but he worked at Prudential. Said he gave him an insurance payment, didn't think much about it since the guy had a reason, business, to be there.

Again he stated his boy was born at Neely and girl was born after leaving Neely. (N. Boulevard Terrace)

Clydie Gray talked about Minnie Williams (whom lived with the Grays) talking to Marina.

She said they both had babies and would speak to each other often. (No Russian/foreign language)

I asked if she could tell if they spoke Russian or English when they fought, she couldn't tell just loud banging on floor etc.

I asked if it could have been the baby playing, she said NO it was many loud arguments.

Ed

bumped for those you give a damn about something a tad more compelling than someone allegedly getting yellow paint on their shoes.... I know you're out there... I can here you clicking...

I reach Minnie for follow up.

Her number is one of those Magic Jack computer phone devices and doesn't seem to ever accept calls. I have tried Skype and texting to the number also.

I tried calling Kristy to have Minnie call me and surprise Minnie was there! Minnie broke wrist and was in hospital for a bit of recent.

She said she got the pictures I sent her and will show them to her daughter and see what she thinks.

She recognized the building and yard and said it looked like a spring picture of LHO in BY.

She sorta remembered Linnie Mae Randall as landlord but not Mr George.

Minnie confirmed Marina spoke to her often in passing, she said Marina had an accent (unspecified) but could converse readily in english with maybe a bit of trouble on some words but was not hard for Marina to talk "English". Not long drwn out conversations but more brief friendly "Hi how are you" "hows your baby" type of speech.

She did not remember James upstairs or the apt. being vacant.

She said she did not recall any loud arguments but she was probably at work.

She said she has not been contacted before about the Oswald JFK stuff.

Said George Gray was always into heavy equipment, as an operator, and may have driven a garbage truck. Didn't work for a tree farm or such that she knew.

I was unable to verify employment or get records from City of Dallas for his employ as a Sanitation Worker. City said something that old was microfiche'd, I had them check, no luck. They said if they found anything on his employment they would contact me with employment verification dates....no call back.

Minnie never saw any of the things Lee had in the Back Yard pic, no guns no rifle, etc.

Said Jack Ruby was friendly when he came to her work at Bowling Alley.

I asked if she ever saw Lee or Marina drive- NO,

Did they have a car-NO ,

Did she see visitors with a car -No

Asked Minnie how she got to work and she said mom sometimes drove her and taxi's the other, Asked about cab drivers Whaley, Scoggins, she didn't know of them.

Did not know of the Tippit's. So I explained the Tippit timeline controversy.

I asked how tall was Lee and she thought around her height at the time 5' 7" maybe bit more. Asked height in relation to Marina and if she ever saw them both together and Minnie said YES there was one time when Marina was with LEE and Marina spoke to Minnie. But Lee didn't say anything...and as far as she knows she never heard LEE speak. Thus this may be why Minnie etc think him unfriendly.

Asked if she knew of or was a relative of any Bledsoe's - No, not a relative she said.

After all that I asked her if I could call again if I had other questions and Minnie said Yes of course.

Ed

Greg,

I was always fascinated by the bakery slip.

I was at the archives and found two documents, if I remember right. One was that Jackson lived at Neely...I see a note

here saying that Jackson lived there as well. I thought LHO might have put it in his pocket to try to PROVE that he lived at Neely, FWIW.

The other thing is intriguing - the cops found in the Neely attic the FPCC placard that LHO was wearing in Dallas in April 63, right before

he left town for New Orleans. It was the first public act pro-FPCC, only one in Dallas I know of. Hosty reported it. Peter Dale Scott, FWIW,

does not believe it ever happened.

Bill

Ed

bumped for those you give a damn about something a tad more compelling than someone allegedly getting yellow paint on their shoes.... I know you're out there... I can here you clicking...

Greg,

I was at the archives and found two documents, if I remember right. One was that Jackson lived at Neely...I see a note

here saying that Jackson lived there as well. I thought LHO might have put it in his pocket to try to PROVE that he lived at Neely, FWIW.

The other thing is intriguing - the cops found in the Neely attic the FPCC placard that LHO was wearing in Dallas in April 63, right before

he left town for New Orleans. It was the first public act pro-FPCC, only one in Dallas I know of. Hosty reported it. Peter Dale Scott, FWIW,

Bill

Bill, Jackson has verified he lived there (I don't think that was ever in contention, though the length of time might be).

Can you elaborate as to why Oswald would want to prove he lived there? According to the extant interrogation records, he denied ever living there. Going from memory here so could be wrong, but I think the first mention of Neely was from a certain Suburban Housewife Extraordinaire. Then a certain new widow agreed. The records are not clear on the pay stub. Some records show it was found on Oswald. Others have it being found in the Neely St apartment. At this stage, I'm plumbing for it having been found in the apartment - after it was initially linked to the photos - and then it was unfound at the apartment and found on Oswald neatly tying him to Neely (and the photos). But I need to check the chronology on that to see if it all fits.

There was an attic in the apartment? Any idea why PDS doesn't believe the incident occurred? I had the notion once that it may have been the real reason for writing the so-called Walker note... but now not even sure if he authored the note anymore, let alone took a potshot at the General.

In short, I'm still not entirely convinced the O's ever lived at the Neely Apartment. The strongest evidence he lived there is the BY photos (and their authenticity is strongly contested) and the baby-on-the-balcony photo - purportedly of June, but not yet verified.

There is no documentary trail of rent receipts, or utility records that places them there.

Edited by Greg Parker

Bill

Thanks for this Bill.

I would really like a reference for this ATTIC find!

But as PDS says Lee never publicly demonstrated in Dallas so it is doubtful he would have needed or made a placard.

What PDS says is the FBI intercepted a letter from Lee to FPCC and that part was in the letter and that was how the FBI interpreted it.

See John Newman, "Oswald and the CIA", p. 275

See also April 1963 FBI Report:

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh17/pdf/WH17_CE_829.pdf

(2) Federal Bureau of Investigation, report, (19th April, 1963)

Dallas confidential informant T-2 advised that Lee H. Oswald of Dallas, Texas, was in contact with the Fair Play for Cuba Committee. According to T-2, Oswald had a placard around his neck reading, "Hands off Cuba Viva Fidel".

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKfairplay.htm

See Life Magazine Feb 21, 1964 page 76.

http://books.google.com/books?id=SVQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA76&lpg=PA76&dq=%22Hands+off+Cuba+Viva+Fidel%22.&source=bl&ots=l0cMR8x0fh&sig=L-F8etdiHAr2NpNv1EmjgaG4Nks&hl=en&ei=lSrmTqu5C4uNigLLlIDeBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22Hands%20off%20Cuba%20Viva%20Fidel%22.&f=false

Testimony of Hosty:

Mr. STERN. If you will look at page 2 of the report we have marked for identification No. 829

Mr. HOSTY. Yes, sir.

Mr. STERN. The last paragraph on that page relates--well, tell us what information that refers to.

Mr. HOSTY. It says, "On April 21, 1963, Dallas confidential informant T-2 advised that Lee H. Oswald of Dallas, Tex, was in contact with the Fair Play for Cuba Committee in New York City at which time he advised that he passed out pamphlets for the Fair Play for Cuba Committee. According to T-2, Oswald had a placard around his neck reading, 'Hands Off Cuba, Viva Fidel.'"

Mr. STERN. Did you attempt to verify that information?

Mr. HOSTY. When I got it, it was approximately 6 or 7 weeks old, past the date it allegedly took place, and we had received no information to the effect that anyone had been in the downtown streets of Dallas or anywhere in Dallas with a sign around their neck saying "Hands Off Cuba, Viva Fidel." It appeared highly unlikely to me that such an occurrence could have happened in Dallas without having been brought to our attention. So by the time I got it, it was, you might say, stale information and we did not attempt to verify it.

Mr. STERN. When you record this as something that an informant advised about on April 21, that doesn't mean he advised you or the Dallas office on April 21?

Mr. HOSTY. That is right.

Mr. STERN. Did this information come from another part of the FBI?

Mr. HOSTY. Yes, sir; it came from the New York office of the FBI. They were advised on the 21st of April

If you have a source for DPD in the Neely attic please share!!

Thanks, Ed

Edited by Ed LeDoux

Ed, On the placard in the attic... I looked for a reference on MFF, can't find it or in my records from my trips to the National Archives in College Park.

I do believe I saw it while reviewing the FBI's Dallas file. I remember it as an insert. This was years ago, I don't want

to waste your time but that's my memory.

Thanks Bill,

I don't believe anything is a waste of time when it comes to the Neely Street evidence.

I'm not positive I know what you mean by an insert in the FBI file.

Was it just a notation, or a filed report?

If it was an insert it should carry a serial number.

"Inserts also record investigative activity, although they are usually used for information that is believed to be "non-testimonial" or "negative," that is information that is not significant to the investigation. For example, an insert might be used to document that a criminal records check was negative."

I think the insert could have come from the LHO letter to New York FPCC.

As info for its file this would make sense.

Any more light you can shed would be helpful.

Thanks, Ed

Edited by Ed LeDoux

Greg,

Bill

Bill, Jackson has verified he lived there (I don't think that was ever in contention, though the length of time might be).

Can you elaborate as to why Oswald would want to prove he lived there? According to the extant interrogation records, he denied ever living there. Going from memory here so could be wrong, but I think the first mention of Neely was from a certain Suburban Housewife Extraordinaire. Then a certain new widow agreed. The records are not clear on the pay stub. Some records show it was found on Oswald. Others have it being found in the Neely St apartment. At this stage, I'm plumbing for it having been found in the apartment - after it was initially linked to the photos - and then it was unfound at the apartment and found on Oswald neatly tying him to Neely (and the photos). But I need to check the chronology on that to see if it all fits.

There was an attic in the apartment? Any idea why PDS doesn't believe the incident occurred? I had the notion once that it may have been the real reason for writing the so-called Walker note... but now not even sure if he authored the note anymore, let alone took a potshot at the General.

In short, I'm still not entirely convinced the O's ever lived at the Neely Apartment. The strongest evidence he lived there is the BY photos (and their authenticity is strongly contested) and the baby-on-the-balcony photo - purportedly of June, but not yet verified.

There is no documentary trail of rent receipts, or utility records that places them there.

Greg,

When I was kicking around Armstrong's two Oswald scenario (I believe Oswald was impersonated more than once, but not two LHOs), I

considered the possibility LHO might want to prove who he was - or wasn't! One way to do that was to carry around the bakery slip to prove

residency at Neely. To be fair, it could be "pocket litter" planted on him to prove residency at Neely. I'm an agnostic on everything about Neely. It's weird.

LHO's claim in his letter to VT Lee (undated, postmarked April 18, 1963): "I do not like to ask for

something for nothing but I am unemployed. Since I am unemployed, I stood yesterday for the first time in my life with a placard

around my neck, passing out fair play for cuba pamplets, ect.. I only had 15 or so. In 40 minutes they were all gone. I was

cursed as well as praised by some. My homemake placard said: "Hands off Cuba! Viva Fidel!"

It's WCE 1409, a 5/15/64 memo written by Dallas patrolman W.R. Finigan described an event that happened the previous year

during "late spring or early summer":

"I was on the northeast corner of Main and Ervay Streets and observed an unidentified white male on the northwest corner of

Main and Ervay Streets. This white male was passing out some sort of literature, and had a sign on his back which read "Viva

Castro. I went to the phone in Dreyfus & Son and called for Sergeant D.V. Harkness to meet me on the corner.

"While I was waiting for Sergeant Harkness, US Commissioner W. Maden Hill came across the street and said, "Something should

be done about that guy passing out literature.

"About this time, Sergeant Harkness drove up on his 3-wheel motorcycle and stopped on the northeast corner where I was

standing. As we started to discuss the situation, the white male removed the "Viva Castro" sign and ran into the H.L. Green

Company. A pedestrian standing close to the young man heard him say, "Oh, hell, here come the cops," and watched him duck into the

H.L. Green Company."

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?mode=searchResult&absPageId=171626

On my side, I've been following this story, because "Oswald was passing out pamphlets...according to Dallas T-2" in Jim Hosty's 9/10/63

memo - when actually Dallas T-2 was Victor Vicente who was in New York City, simply handing Oswald's letter and other documents to

the FBI to photograph on 4/21/63.

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?mode=searchResult&absPageId=330670

I hope Peter won't mind if I share a snippet: "One answer to this conundrum would be: The Finigan statement is dated May 15, 1964. That is an awfully late date for information so obviously pertinent to the Oswald mystery obsessing the DPD at the time (and a few of us ever since). Isn't it possible that the

statement is a lie -- an artefact composed under direction to lend credence to the legend that Oswald in his FPCC activities really

was a loner acting on his own? This hypothesis supposes of course that the author or authors of the Finigan statement had been made

aware of the T-2 item in the Hosty Report...(also) the July 25 1963 FBI memo on the FPCC... NARA 124-90120-10002. (it went to many cities, but) it wasn't sent to Dallas or New Orleans. That suggests to me that there had been no indications in those two cities of any FPCC activity."

If the placard ever existed, you'd think it would be in the National Archives, and that it would have been waved in front of the Warren Commission.

Thanks Bill,

I don't believe anything is a waste of time when it comes to the Neely Street evidence.

I'm not positive I know what you mean by an insert in the FBI file.

Was it just a notation, or a filed report?

If it was an insert it should carry a serial number.

I think the insert could have come from the LHO letter to New York FPCC.

As info for its file this would make sense.

Any more light you can shed would be helpful.

Thanks, Ed

I'm not terribly articulate on this - and my memory is seven years old.

When I say an insert, I'm referring to a short note in an FBI report,

usually one paragraph on one page, sometimes the agent is credited,

sometimes not. It's like the paper equivalent of an afterthought.

No, what I remember was not from the LHO letter. What I remember

is that a law enforcement officer claimed to have found Oswald's Viva Castro placard

in the Neely attic. Doesn't mean it's true, of course. I also remember

it was all part of a search of the Neely Street residence. I think it was

FBI, if not them, it would have to be the Dallas authorities. If you have

the records of the search it would be in there.

Greg,

Bill

Greg,

When I was kicking around Armstrong's two Oswald scenario (I believe Oswald was impersonated more than once, but not two LHOs), I

considered the possibility LHO might want to prove who he was - or wasn't! One way to do that was to carry around the bakery slip to prove

residency at Neely. To be fair, it could be "pocket litter" planted on him to prove residency at Neely. I'm an agnostic on everything about Neely. It's weird.

LHO's claim in his letter to VT Lee (undated, postmarked April 18, 1963): "I do not like to ask for

something for nothing but I am unemployed. Since I am unemployed, I stood yesterday for the first time in my life with a placard

around my neck, passing out fair play for cuba pamplets, ect.. I only had 15 or so. In 40 minutes they were all gone. I was

cursed as well as praised by some. My homemake placard said: "Hands off Cuba! Viva Fidel!"

It's WCE 1409, a 5/15/64 memo written by Dallas patrolman W.R. Finigan described an event that happened the previous year

during "late spring or early summer":

"I was on the northeast corner of Main and Ervay Streets and observed an unidentified white male on the northwest corner of

Main and Ervay Streets. This white male was passing out some sort of literature, and had a sign on his back which read "Viva

Castro. I went to the phone in Dreyfus & Son and called for Sergeant D.V. Harkness to meet me on the corner.

"While I was waiting for Sergeant Harkness, US Commissioner W. Maden Hill came across the street and said, "Something should

be done about that guy passing out literature.

"About this time, Sergeant Harkness drove up on his 3-wheel motorcycle and stopped on the northeast corner where I was

standing. As we started to discuss the situation, the white male removed the "Viva Castro" sign and ran into the H.L. Green

Company. A pedestrian standing close to the young man heard him say, "Oh, hell, here come the cops," and watched him duck into the

H.L. Green Company."

http://www.maryferre...bsPageId=171626

On my side, I've been following this story, because "Oswald was passing out pamphlets...according to Dallas T-2" in Jim Hosty's 9/10/63

memo - when actually Dallas T-2 was Victor Vicente who was in New York City, simply handing Oswald's letter and other documents to

the FBI to photograph on 4/21/63.

http://www.maryferre...bsPageId=330670

I hope Peter won't mind if I share a snippet: "One answer to this conundrum would be: The Finigan statement is dated May 15, 1964. That is an awfully late date for information so obviously pertinent to the Oswald mystery obsessing the DPD at the time (and a few of us ever since). Isn't it possible that the

statement is a lie -- an artefact composed under direction to lend credence to the legend that Oswald in his FPCC activities really

was a loner acting on his own? This hypothesis supposes of course that the author or authors of the Finigan statement had been made

aware of the T-2 item in the Hosty Report...(also) the July 25 1963 FBI memo on the FPCC... NARA 124-90120-10002. (it went to many cities, but) it wasn't sent to Dallas or New Orleans. That suggests to me that there had been no indications in those two cities of any FPCC activity."

If the placard ever existed, you'd think it would be in the National Archives, and that it would have been waved in front of the Warren Commission.

Thanks Bill,

while I was aware of the documents you linked to, I have no memory at all of the placard in the attic.

I've just looked at documents which possibly indicate some shenanigans with the NO placard. Two families in NO together from Oregon witnessed the "fight" between Oswald and CB & friends. A member of each family was interviewed by the FBI. One said the placard was torn up in the fracas with the pieces placed in the police van. The other said it was leaning up against a nearby post when the police arrived. One of the kids filmed the scene (Jim Doyle). Does it or any other film show what happened with the placard?

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=10407&relPageId=446

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=10407&relPageId=450

Could it be this placard that was "found" in the Neely St apt?