The Education Forum

Question for Josiah Thompson

Mr. Thompson - first, I am a huge fan of your work and have read your book several times. With forty extra years of hindsight and much better copies of the Zapruder film, I think there may be better explanations for some of your theories, but you laid a foundation that is critical to our research, even today.

Anyway, enough sucking up :)

My question is, in your conversations with O.P. Wright, did you ever discuss whether the FBI asked him about CE399? I'm particularly interested in whether such an interview took place in the spring of '64. I would also be curious about what might have been discussed in the apparent meeting that Tomlinson described as taking place in 11/63, in which he said Wright was present.

Any help you could provide on these issues would be greatly appreciated, by myself and i'm sure, many others.

Robert Harris

Sure thing, Robert.

I don't recall ever asking Wright about whether he ever talked to the FBI. When I saw him, I knew that identification of the bullet was important and I had seen the memos or reports saying that Wright had not been able to identify the bullet and then the memo from the Washington Field Office saying he thought C1 and CE 399 looked similar. I didn't pursue the point with either Tomlinson or Wright and they didn't bring it up. At least, that's what my memory tells me after forty some years.

Look, I know I made some mistakes back in 1967. Saying JFK's head went forward between 312 and 313 is only the most serious. I'm delighted to be able to remedy mistakes now. In part, that's what I'm trying to do with what I'm writing now.

However, the vitriol that passes for discussion I find discouraging.

JT

Sure thing, Robert.

I don't recall ever asking Wright about whether he ever talked to the FBI. When I saw him, I knew that identification of the bullet was important and I had seen the memos or reports saying that Wright had not been able to identify the bullet and then the memo from the Washington Field Office saying he thought C1 and CE 399 looked similar. I didn't pursue the point with either Tomlinson or Wright and they didn't bring it up. At least, that's what my memory tells me after forty some years.

Look, I know I made some mistakes back in 1967. Saying JFK's head went forward between 312 and 313 is only the most serious. I'm delighted to be able to remedy mistakes now. In part, that's what I'm trying to do with what I'm writing now.

JT

Josiah,

Hang in there!

--Thomas :)

Sure thing, Robert.

JT

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Actually, I think the head did go forward then, exactly as you claimed it did. We would have a very convoluted debate, with me arguing that you were right and you, that you were wrong :D

Anyway, thanks again. Please let me know if you can think of anything at all that might be relevant to this issue.

I want to also thank Josiah Thompson for his quick reply to Robert Harris' question, which Robert only asked in the first place because he had seen where I had already asked the very same question of Josiah in this post on December 9, 2011:

"Question for Josiah Thompson or Jim DiEugenio (or anyone else who has knowledge of this):

When Josiah Thompson interviewed O.P. Wright for the book "Six Seconds In Dallas", did Mr. Wright deny ever being shown a bullet at Parkland Hospital by an FBI agent on June 12, 1964 (or at any other time)?

Putting it another way:

Did Josiah Thompson ask Wright if he was ever shown a bullet by the FBI after the assassination? And if so, what was Mr. Wright's answer?

I can't find an answer to that precise question in the CTKA.net articles that I have looked at recently. Some of the articles talk about Wright and the "pointed tip" on the bullet, but there's nothing there that would indicate whether Wright specifically said, No, I was never shown a bullet by the FBI.

If Mr. Thompson (or anyone else) could point me to a passage in the book SSID that would answer my question regarding this matter, I'd appreciate it." -- DVP; 12/9/11

---------------

Mr. Thompson undoubtedly wasn't reading the thread that contained my above inquiry (or he missed seeing my post).

But, anyway, I'm just glad the message got through to Josiah now. I probably should have done what Robert Harris did today--start a new thread with Josiah's name right in the thread title (so he'd be sure to see it). So, thank you, Bob, for doing that very thing.

Edited by David Von Pein

I want to also thank Josiah Thompson for his quick reply to Robert Harris' question, which Robert only asked in the first place because he had seen where I had already asked the very same question of Josiah in this post on December 9, 2011

Actually, I didn't see it. This is not my primary forum and I only drop in now and then, which is also why I didn't notice that you had linked the Marcus interview.

Please realize that I would be absolutely delighted to discover that Wright verified CE399, exactly as the FBI said he did. As I think I mentioned before to you, I am here to learn what happened, with no concern at all for how the chips fall. And I find it mind boggling that everyone else doesn't think that way.