The Education Forum

Charles Meyer

As a spin off from the Jada and Jack Ruby thread, I think Greg Parker's suggestion to start a new one on Charles Meyer is a very good one.

A brief background: He knew JFK from Harvard. He was a combat officer and aide to the Supreme Allied Commander in Korea during WW2. In addition to being on the board of Allstate Insurance, he was also on the board of Sears Roebuck and Co., United Fruit Co., and the Republic National Bank.

In 1961, Earl Cabell appointed Meyer to head the Master Transit Plan Committee (a position he held for many years) and in 1969, President Nixon named Meyer as Assistant Secretary of State for Inter-American Affairs which was to improve relations with Latin America; Meyers having much experience in the region.

All in all, an interesting guy with some amazing connections.

I have some more on him which I will dig up and post.

James

As a spin off from the Jada and Jack Ruby thread, I think Greg Parker's suggestion to start a new one on Charles Meyer is a very good one.

A brief background: He knew JFK from Harvard. He was a combat officer and aide to the Supreme Allied Commander in Korea during WW2. In addition to being on the board of Allstate Insurance, he was also on the board of Sears Roebuck and Co., United Fruit Co., and the Republic National Bank.

In 1961, Earl Cabell appointed Meyer to head the Master Transit Plan Committee (a position he held for many years) and in 1969, President Nixon named Meyer as Assistant Secretary of State for Inter-American Affairs which was to improve relations with Latin America; Meyers having much experience in the region.

James

James, I'm swinging in the dark here, but do you know if he had any direct association with CD Jackson?

James

James, I'm swinging in the dark here, but do you know if he had any direct association with CD Jackson?

Greg,

Yes, both men knew each other through mutual acquaintance Robert Sherrod who at the time was editor of the Saturday Evening Post in New York. Sherrod had been a reporter in his day and many of his stories appeared in Life Magazine.

Also interesting to note is that Meyer was close friends with R.G. Storey.

In early 1963, the Advisory Council of the Graduate Research Center of the Southwest was created. Council members included James Aston, D. Harold Byrd, Ted Dealey, W.W. Lynch, Neil Mallon, Clint Murchison Jr. and Charles Meyer.

In the early to mid 1970's when the Senate Foreign Relations Committee ordered its staff to investigate the CIA and its efforts to disrupt the Chilean government, subcommittee counsel Jerome Levinson recommeded reopening the confirmation hearings of Secretary of State Henry Kissinger; sending transcripts of hearings to the Justice Department for criminal investigation and beginning perjury proceedings against Richard Helms and Assistant Secretary of State Charles Meyer.

Interesting associations indeed.

James

• 2 weeks later...

Please let me add Mr. Jonsson was one of 2 names suppressed by the SS report on people at the Locke & Purnell parade route meeting. From the Thy Will Be Done Book - Nelson Rockefeller used TEXAS Instruments to do things (when he didnt want the ROCKEFELLER name to be known). ALSO AA Collins (PER RADIO COLLINS) in 62 onward was part of the Southwest board. The Republic National Bank Building was a CIA trust building per Adamson material (his info from LA times & Houston Post). SEE MATERIAL BELOW thanks sg PS BTW have bio info on WW LYNCH ??

The university was originally started as a research arm of Texas Instruments as the Graduate Research Center of the Southwest in 1961. The institute (by then renamed the Southwest Center for Advanced Studies) was later donated to the University of Texas system by its founders Eugene McDermott, Cecil Howard Green and J. Erik Jonsson. By law, UTD

http://www.utd.edu/research/spacesciences/historyframe.html

JFK

joined by the members of the Dallas Assembly--and pleased to have this opportunity to salute the Graduate Research Center of the Southwest. ...

www.jfklibrary.org/Historical+Resources/Archives/Reference+Desk/Speeches/JFK/003POF03TradeMart11221963.htm

http://www.collinsclubs.com/history/aac_biography.html AA COLLINS He was a director of the Graduate Research Center of the Southwest, Dallas, from 1962 to 1969, and served on the board of directors of the Herbert Hoover Foundation.