The Education Forum

Biography: Chris Courtwright

Ooops - maybe I chose the wrong words there.

Chris, would you like to tell us about yourself?

You are obviously interested in the JFK board. Are you an academic? With the articles published, are you a professional writer?

I'm curious, that's all.

Thanks!

Evan -

Thanks for the kind welcome. In my "day" job, I work for politicians in a non-partisan staff role. I'm the principal economist for the Kansas Legislature. I've been somewhat inactive in terms of my own research for a number of years (until the last six months or so) while focusing on my family (young children). Although always interested in the assassination, like many others I became even more active in the early to mid 1990s in the wake of "JFK". (I was especially fascinated at how Stone was hammered in the mainstream media; and how he responded so eloquently at the Washington Press Corps luncheon. If I recall, he pointed out that he didn't care if the factuality of a few issues portrayed in the movie could be challenged -- he saw the Warren Commission as thesis; and "JFK" as antithesis. In other words, he saw some sort of Hegelian dialetic. I would argue that this analysis is appropriate in that the new "synthesis" is the much greater understanding we all now have of the forces behind the assassination as a result of the release of the files pursuant to the historic 1992 legislation, which of course was a direct result of Stone' much-pilloried movie.) In any event, I began to get copies of the declassified materials and write some of the articles referenced above. But while in my own research I tended to focus on minutiae about Oswald and other specific issues, I was frankly much more intrigued by the forest-for-the-trees kind of analyses that I was woefully unable to produce on my own. Luckily, I stumbled across Jerry Rose's The Third Decade journal, where Charles, George Michael Evica and others brilliantly challenged everyone to keep their eyes on the big picture (stop focusing so myopically on the ballistics in Dealey Plaza and ask the more relevant Donald Sutherland/Fletcher Prouty/Mr. X style questions, etc.). I also attended a number of Lancer and COPA conferences in Dallas and DC, and even made a few presentations. (Had the great misfortune of having to follow Charles one time in Dallas. I can assure you, there is no one in the field who brings more polish, inspiration and passion to the table.) I have monitored the Education Forum off and on for a number of years, but I really became more focused quite recently with the Hunt confessions; and especially the publication of David Talbot's book, which in my judgment compellingly tells a credible and chilling story of the 1960s that has been concealed, be it intentionally or not, from all of us by the mainstream media and most historians. I think it's terrific that David has been able to come in here and offer his insights. I met him briefly at Cyril Wecht's conference in 2003, and he and Jeff Morley and John Newman deserve Congressional Medals of Honor, as far as I am concerned. Bravo to Dr. Simkin for setting this up for all of us. Hope I can continue to contribute around the edges.

Thanks for that Chris. I don't have any knowledge in the JFK field at all, and stick to the Apollo stuff. And economics? My sole expertise in that area is being able to spend the money I earn. I had always thought that GDP was the Gun Direction Platform!

I'm sure you will be a welcome addition to our community. Enjoy.

Cheers!

Bravo to Dr. Simkin for setting this up for all of us. Hope I can continue to contribute around the edges.

I should point out that I do not hold a doctorate. I did start a PhD entitled “The Role of the School in the Development of Political Consciousness” but I got involved in writing books and turned it into a MPhil instead.

John,

Your efforts to heal the body politic are such that I have no problem thinking of you as Doctor Simkin.

(For some reason, the character of Dr. Loftus from the late, unlamented BBC series "Doctor in the House" rushes to mind. Nothing personal, I assure you. For were we to carry forward the analogy, we contributors would by vying for the role of intern Michael Upton.)

Charles

Edited by Charles Drago