The Education Forum

Paxton Directs JFK Assassination Movie

If the film is ever to be made, 2013 is the best selling point they could hope for.

I assume since Paxton is involved in the Hanks production, his seemingly conspiracy oriented project is off the table.

An interview with Paxton was taped for the Oral History project at the Sixth Floor.

Has anyone either listened to the interview or read the transcript?

Thanks,

BK

From everything I've read about the Paxton/Hanks collaboration it is to be a documentary...an Ozzie did it documentary. I forget where I read it, but a google search should suffice.

Hi Norman,

The Paxton/Hanks collaboration is slated to be a HBO TV Serial dramtization of Vincent Bugliosi's non-fiction Reclaiming History, and will include a separate, short documentary on the assassination based on Bugliosi's book.

Neither the docudrama nor the documentary are in production, but slated for release for the 50th anniversary of the assassination in 2013, three years from now.

Paxton is from Texas, and was in Fort Worth on the morning of the assassination, and is said to be seen in photographs of the crowd in front of JFK as he addressed them in front of the hotel a few hours before the assassination.

Since Paxton is a witness to certain events, and a major motion picture guy (The Greatest Game), who has endorsed Vincent Bugliosi's Bogus book on the assassination, and helped sell it to Hanks and HBO, and had previously hawked pro-conspiracy themes for a film, I was wondering what he told the Sixth Floor Muse Oral History Project.

The Sixth Floor, having recently become the official repository of records from the Dallas DA office, should open its records totally, posting the transcripts of their oral historys and the recordings themselves, to allow researchers and ordinary citizens to read and hear the history and decide for themselves what to believe.

In fact, since these records were produced by the tax-paying citizens, and actually belong to the people and not any private enterprise, they should be made totally available to anyone who wants to read/hear them, as should all of the government's records.

Now if someone has actually gone to the Sixth Floor Muse Reading Room and read the transcript or heard the tape of what Bill Paxton had to say, or has a copy of the transcript, I'd like to read it or know what Bill had to say at the time.

And if no one as, I will reward anyone who goes over to the Sixth Floor, requests this record, makes a copy of it, and shares it with me and anyone else who is interested.

The Sixth Floor, like the NARA and the government itself, has a responsibility not only to preserve these public records, but to make them readily available without having burglars going in to steal them.

Bill Kelly

Bill, a few months back there was an article claiming Paxton was in Texas working on the film. It is gonna be a 10-part mini-series, a la The Pacific, a Hanks/Goetzman production on WWII that just finished up.

Hi Pat,

Yea, I've heard rumors that there's something in production, but its not the Bugliosi book that will aired in 2010, unless you can provide links to the story or anything more difinitive.

I think Hanks is on record as saying that they don't have a script yet and it won't be on their production schedule for a year or so.

If you or anybody has better info on the production schedule, what they are filming now, etc., I'd like to know more.

Thanks,

BK

The Paxton movie--rumors have it that he will play JFK--is one and the same as the Hanks movie, and is slated for broadcast in 2013. It IS based on the first part of Bugliosi's book, a blow by blow re-telling (and at times distortion) of the first four days.

As Bugliosi's book was re-titled and re-issued to focus on this period, one can only assume this was to link it better to the upcoming series.

As far as I can tell, NO programs are scheduled to offer a contrasting viewpoint. A friend discussed this with an executive of Showtime a few years back but they said they weren't interested in part because they didn't want to be seen as following HBO's lead.

Thanks Bernice,

That doesn't tell what town it is.

Dupont area? Is that Dupont circle or is there a Dupont area in Dallas?

And what is he filming?

Are there actors?

Who is playing Oswald?

Is there a real reporter on this story?

And most important of all, my original question -

Has anyone actually heard or read Paxton's Oral History with the Sixth Floor?

Thanks,

Bill Kelly

As far as I can tell, NO programs are scheduled to offer a contrasting viewpoint. A friend discussed this with an executive of Showtime a few years back but they said they weren't interested in part because they didn't want to be seen as following HBO's lead.

TV network logistics can be weird. Sometimes they're happy to compete with a movie or with another network's show, and sometimes not, with dubious justification.

Either HBO or Showtime (SHO) had optioned the rights to Don DeLillo's conspiracy-friendly 1980s novel on LHO, Libra, but the project was back-burnered when Oliver Stone's JFK went into production, and then allowed to wither away.

If the cable network kept renewing its yearly option on the book, and the author kept accepting in good faith - this may have tied off a film of Libra for some time, until interest in the book by other producers waned.

Edited by David Andrews

Thanks Bernice,

That doesn't tell what town it is.

Dupont area? Is that Dupont circle or is there a Dupont area in Dallas?

And what is he filming?

Are there actors?

Who is playing Oswald?

Is there a real reporter on this story?

And most important of all, my original question -

Has anyone actually heard or read Paxton's Oral History with the Sixth Floor?

Thanks,

Bill Kelly

Gary Mack has informed me that the article Bernice posted is from 2009 and very obsolete.

Who has accurate, current information on the production of this program?

Thanks,

BK

Now is this show still in production or did they start filming at Dupont in 2009? It can't be both. - BK

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/greg-kinne...s-the-kennedys/

History today announced the primary cast of Joel Surnow's miniseries The Kennedys. (release below.) For the past three years, HBO also had been working on a JFK miniseries with Playtone’s Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman and Bill Paxton. The project, based on Vincent Bugliosi's book "Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy, is still in development at the premium cable channel.

New York, NY, April 28, 2010 – Greg Kinnear, Barry Pepper, Katie Holmes and Tom Wilkinson are set to star in the upcoming HISTORY eight-hour, scripted mini-series based on The Kennedy family, THE KENNEDYS. The announcement was made today by Nancy Dubuc, President and General Manager, HISTORY.

Mr. Kinnear will play the role of President John F. Kennedy. Barry Pepper stars as Attorney General Robert Kennedy. Ms. Holmes will play First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy and Tom Wilkinson will portray Ambassador Joe Kennedy, Sr. The miniseries will premiere on HISTORY in 2011.

“When HISTORY announced this ambitious project in December, our goal was A-list auspices behind and in front of the camera. The amazing cast we announced today including; Greg Kinnear, Barry Pepper, Katie Holmes and Tom Wilkinson is emblematic of that goal,” said Ms. Dubuc.

THE KENNEDYS is the network’s first foray into scripted miniseries. Executive Producer Joel Surnow developed the series with Asylum’s Jonathan Koch and Steve Michaels for Muse Entertainment Enterprises. Steve Kronish is writing the screenplay for the series, which is currently being annotated and vetted by History’s resident historians. Jon Cassar will direct. Steve Gillon, Ph.D, will serve as the lead historical advisor on the series.

THE KENNEDYS is produced for HISTORY by Muse Entertainment in association with Asylum Entertainment. The series will be executive produced by Joel Surnow, Jonathan Koch, Steve Michaels, Michael Prupas, Jon Cassar and Jamie Paul Rock. For HISTORY, Nancy Dubuc, David McKillop, Dirk Hoogstra are Executive Producers.

sorry about that bill, trying to do more than two things at once, blah this is dated april 28th and appears to be the latest, perhaps it's gone undercover or such... :Dhttp://www.deadline.com/2010/04/greg-kinne...s-the-kennedys/

No appologies necessary B.

It's just that people keep posting reports that Paxton and Hanks are making a movie and they're in production right now somewhere, but there's been no reports of who is directing, who is playing any roles, who wrote the script, what's in the script, etc., all of the little items that are routinely released by Hollywood PR people, just like the History Channel's release of the background on their Blackballing Kennedy series.

And I don't BTW, support any of the organized petitions or efforts to stop the production of these shows, as I think they have every right to produce them, though they must be accuratly classified as to what they really are - whether historically accurate or propaganda, disinformation or anti-Kennedy trash.

I also hope that for every dollar spent on Darkside of Kennedys there can be found some money to support the production of real documentary films, major motion pictures (like JFK and 13 Days) and mini-series that tell the truth about the Kennedys and the assassination.

Now if anybody gets a scoop on what Bill Paxton is really up to, what he's working on now, and when the JFK show goes into production, I'd like to know who will direct it, who will play Oswald and Kennedy and when and where it will begin filming.

I'd also like to know what Paxton says in his Oral History at the Sixth Floor.

Thanks to anyone who knows and responds,

BK

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment...9039/story.html

Kennedy TV series filming in Toronto

The Ottawa Citizen April 30, 2010

An eight-part TV series on the Kennedy family begins shooting in Toronto in June and will be directed by Jon Cassar, a former Algonquin College graduate. The Kennedys, a big-budgeted series, stars Greg Kinnear (Little Miss Sunshine) as president John F. Kennedy, Katie Holmes (Batman Begins) as Jacqueline Kennedy, Tom Wilkinson (In The Bedroom) as ambassador Joe Kennedy Sr. and Barry Pepper (Saving Private Ryan) as attorney general Robert Kennedy.

b

Edited by Bernice Moore

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/entertainment...9039/story.html

Kennedy TV series filming in Toronto

The Ottawa Citizen April 30, 2010

An eight-part TV series on the Kennedy family begins shooting in Toronto in June and will be directed by Jon Cassar, a former Algonquin College graduate. The Kennedys, a big-budgeted series, stars Greg Kinnear (Little Miss Sunshine) as president John F. Kennedy, Katie Holmes (Batman Begins) as Jacqueline Kennedy, Tom Wilkinson (In The Bedroom) as ambassador Joe Kennedy Sr. and Barry Pepper (Saving Private Ryan) as attorney general Robert Kennedy.

b

BILL YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN THIS LINK....

John F. Kennedy - Filmography by year

Himself]; Towner Film of Kennedy Motorcade and Aftermath (1963) [Actor .... Himself]; Zapruder Film of Kennedy Assassination (1963) [Actor . ...

http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0448123/filmoyear

Edited by Bernice Moore

sorry about that bill, trying to do more than two things at once, blah this is dated april 28th and appears to be the latest, perhaps it's gone undercover or such... :Dhttp://www.deadline.com/2010/04/greg-kinne...s-the-kennedys/

It's just that people keep posting reports that Paxton and Hanks are making a movie and they're in production right now somewhere, but there's been no reports of who is directing, who is playing any roles, who wrote the script, what's in the script, etc., all of the little items that are routinely released by Hollywood PR people, just like the History Channel's release of the background on their Blackballing Kennedy series.

And I don't BTW, support any of the organized petitions or efforts to stop the production of these shows, as I think they have every right to produce them, though they must be accuratly classified as to what they really are - whether historically accurate or propaganda, disinformation or anti-Kennedy trash.

I also hope that for every dollar spent on Darkside of Kennedys there can be found some money to support the production of real documentary films, major motion pictures (like JFK and 13 Days) and mini-series that tell the truth about the Kennedys and the assassination.

Now if anybody gets a scoop on what Bill Paxton is really up to, what he's working on now, and when the JFK show goes into production, I'd like to know who will direct it, who will play Oswald and Kennedy and when and where it will begin filming.

BK

Bill,

You've been wanting to know for some time now what Bill Paxton says in his Oral History.

Since you, yourself, have an Oral History on file with the Sixth Floor Museum, and should have a transcript of your own interview, you must know that anyone can obtain an Oral History transcript for a relatively small fee. If an interview hasn't been transcribed yet, then a DVD or CD of that interview can be loaned out for, again, a relatively small fee.

You could have the answer to your Bill Paxton question within a matter of days.

With regards to the "Reclaiming History" mini-series. . .

As of today, according to both Playtone and HBO, this project is NOT currently in production. It is, however, in development as I indicated to you back on 12/22/09. "In development" means they're working on the script. They don't even have an official Production Office set up for it yet at HBO. But Playtone plans for it to be successfully completed, as they do for all their projects, and then televised in November of 2013.

Ken

BK

Bill,

You've been wanting to know for some time now what Bill Paxton says in his Oral History.

Since you, yourself, have an Oral History on file with the Sixth Floor Museum, and should have a transcript of your own interview, you must know that anyone can obtain an Oral History transcript for a relatively small fee. If an interview hasn't been transcribed yet, then a DVD or CD of that interview can be loaned out for, again, a relatively small fee.

You could have the answer to your Bill Paxton question within a matter of days.

As of today, according to both Playtone and HBO, this project is NOT currently in production. It is, however, in development as I indicated to you back on 12/22/09. "In development" means they're working on the script. They don't even have an official Production Office set up for it yet at HBO. But Playtone plans for it to be successfully completed, as they do for all their projects, and then televised in November of 2013.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Yes, I do indeed intend to send the Sixth Floor a certified check for whatever it takes for them to send me either the tapes or transcripts of the Oral Histories I am interested in, especially the TSBD people, Z-film people, and the Cubans, as well as a few others that I find interesting.

I was just taking a survey to see if anybody else has already done this and can give me a report to save me the trouble and to avoid the duplication of research.

I am going to send them a check and inquiry very soon, but I wanted to limit the number of requests to what I really need, and ask those who are interested in other areas that are also of interest, to see what they have already researched or not.

I'd really like to know if anyone has exploited the vast Oral History archive at the Sixth Floor, and if not, it should be targeted for review, and everybody should know what they have.

I also find it very disconcerning that the Dallas DA has decided that they, rather than the American people, should have ownership of the DA records, which I suspect will now be nickled and dimed out like they are selling their Oral History records.

They should all be put on line for everyone to read at anytime and not sold over and over again.

And I transcribed my own Oral History with the Sixth Floor Muse, and posted it on JFKResearch, though I don't have a transcript of it anymore and if I did I would post it for everyone to read.

And another thing you won't read about at the Sixth Floor Web site is the fact that the guy who took my Oral History was Bob Porter, who himself has an Oral History that I'd like to read, and it was Bob Porter who was accidently shot by the cop with the cowboy hat who was handcuffed to Oswald when Ruby shot him in DPD HQ basement.

Bill Kelly

Edited by William Kelly

Thanks for the photo of little Billy in Fort Worth B.

And Ken,

I'm glad someone is keeping up with this.

Give me a shout and wake me up in a couple of years when the go into production, will ya?

Thanks,

BK