The Education Forum

David Talbot: Meeting in London

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that you or someone can videotape David Talbot's London talk and post it on YourTube or a website that we can watch it later?

Thanks,

BK

Mark de Valk has kindly offered to film the event. Iain Dale, who has his own internet television station, is planning to interview David. Maybe he could make use of the Mark's film.

With each passing year it is with admiration that I note the continuing efforts of British researchers and all the other men and women (some of whom frequent the Education Forum and contribute significantly) that weren't born in the United States and don't live here, yet still care passionately about searching for the truths of President Kennedy's murder.

A tip of the hat to all of them, past and present. There are some Americans that recognize and appreciate their efforts.

With each passing year it is with admiration that I note the continuing efforts of British researchers and all the other men and women (some of whom frequent the Education Forum and contribute significantly) that weren't born in the United States and don't live here, yet still care passionately about searching for the truths of President Kennedy's murder.

A tip of the hat to all of them, past and present. There are some Americans that recognize and appreciate their efforts.

Seconded.

I'm amazed by the fact that so many citizens of other countries are dedicated to this case.

Good thing.

All available help is needed.

And we have this window of time while the internet is relatively untampered with to capitalize on it.

Do you think that you or someone can videotape David Talbot's London talk and post it on YourTube or a website that we can watch it later?

Thanks,

BK

Mark de Valk has kindly offered to film the event. Iain Dale, who has his own internet television station, is planning to interview David. Maybe he could make use of the Mark's film.

Unfortunately Mark de Valk did not make the meeting and it was not filmed. It was a great meeting and David was very impressive. After a short introduction he took questions for 90 minutes.

David Talbot appeared on BBC Radio 4’s Start the Week this morning to discuss his book. It is sometime since the British media had a sensible discussion on the assassination.

I think David found Andrew Marr a bit different from Chris Matthews. You can listen, download or get the podcast of the programme here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/starttheweek.shtml

David will also be appearing on BBC News 24 sometime today.

Was it not Andrew Marr who took Peter Jennings place in the BBC version of the latest lone nut proponent documentary?

John

John, it was Gavin Esler, who went down greatly in my estimation after that. In fact I can't stand to watch him on anything now as he makes me want to throw something at the TV with his smug manner.

I was watching with interest when the Newsnight programme on RFK and Shane Sullivan's research aired to see whether he would be presenting it - it would have been rather ironic I thought, given his views on 'conspiracy theorists.' Thankfully though it wasn't. He has received complaints before for being rude and agressive in interviews and I can't say I'm surprised.

In a piece for the Scotsman he came out with this great piece of wisdom:

".......the Kennedy assassination began the great slide within American culture towards belief in nutty conspiracy theories which still dog the US today."

The full article is here:

http://news.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?id=1273342003

Sad to think his time as the BBC's chief political correspondant for North America was obviously comepletely wasted if he can churn out this rubbish.

Then again, I guess I shouldn't really be surprised should I....

Right that's my rant over :)

As a citizen of the world who is passionately a supporter of democracy, I believe it is my responsibility to do what I can to expose the corruption of the political process - wherever it takes place. Of course, like most people, I am primarily concerned about what takes place in my own country, however, it is vitally important to be concerned about the United States as it is the world’s only superpower. We have a saying, when the US sneezes, the UK catches a cold. A good example of this is Iraq where Tony Blair has been infected by George Bush’s corrupt actions. Who can doubt that the assassination of JFK had terrible consequences for the rest of the world? Like David Talbot I believe the Cold War would have been brought to an end if JFK had stayed in power.

I am sure other European nations are just as concerned about the JFK assassination. However, they are less likely to post on the forum for language reasons.

We should also not forget the Australians, who play a very important role on this forum.

I would like to thank Stuart Galloway, Secretary of the Dealey Plaza UK group, for his role in organizing the very successful meeting. Hopefully, other visiting authors from the US will also provide presentations of their research when they visit the UK.

Hopefully myself and David will meet up while he is here in Dublin. I'm trying to contact an Irish journalist named T.P. O'Mahony, who has a good rapport with the Kennedy's and wrote the book 'The Kennedy restoration' about the next generation of Kennedy's. David and T.P. may have a good deal of information to share. Having finished my undergraduate degree on Monday, I am now free to pursue historical topics of more personal interests. I look forward to meeting David and reading 'Brothers', though I have not seen it available in bookshops here yet.

John

Hey John,

Any report from Dublin yet?

Did DT make it across the Irish sea okay?

Keep us posted, will ya?

Thanks,

BK

Hopefully myself and David will meet up while he is here in Dublin. I'm trying to contact an Irish journalist named T.P. O'Mahony, who has a good rapport with the Kennedy's and wrote the book 'The Kennedy restoration' about the next generation of Kennedy's. David and T.P. may have a good deal of information to share. Having finished my undergraduate degree on Monday, I am now free to pursue historical topics of more personal interests. I look forward to meeting David and reading 'Brothers', though I have not seen it available in bookshops here yet.

John

Hey John,

Any report from Dublin yet?

Did DT make it across the Irish sea okay?

Keep us posted, will ya?

Thanks,

BK

David Talbot was in Dublin on Tuesday and Wednesday. He is back in London today (Thursday). He goes home on Sunday.

David Talbot will be speaking at a small meeting of JFK researchers on Sunday 10th June in the downstairs room of The Green Man (383 Euston Road) near Great Portland Street tube station. The room has been booked for our exclusive use from 12.00pm to 4.00pm and we will have our own private bar in the area. Several journalists have agreed to attend the meeting.

Hopefully members of the forum who live in the UK will attend the meeting. You will find details of the pub and a map of the area here.

http://www.allinlondon.co.uk/clubs_bars/venue-958.php

Here is a brief description of David’s proposed talk.

David Talbot will speak about his provocative new book, "Brothers: The Hidden History of the Kennedy Years." In the book - which has been called "fearless, passionate and angry" by the New York Times and "brilliant journalism" by People magazine - Talbot argues that President Kennedy's own brother, Attorney General Robert Kennedy, was America's first assassination conspiracy theorist. Bobby Kennedy immediately suspected that his brother was the victim of a plot - and spent the rest of his life secretly investigating the crime. Though the younger Kennedy publicly accepted the Warren Report - the official government version of the JFK assassination - Bobby was determined to reopen the case if he became president. Bobby Kennedy's campaign for the White House ended in June 1968, when he too became the victim of an assassination about which many questions remain unanswered.

Talbot will also discuss another controversial theme of his book. In recent years, President Kennedy has been characterized as a Cold War hawk - by scholars of the left and right, as well as by U.S. politicians of both the Democratic and Republican parties who are eager to claim Kennedy's tough legacy. But Talbot argues that, despite his sometimes militant rhetoric, JFK was a man of peace who was bent on leading the U.S. away from the nuclear precipice and towards detente with the Soviet Union. President Kennedy made it clear that he rejected the idea of pre-emptive war, favoured patient diplomacy over military force, and believed that the United States had to learn to live peacefully with even its staunchest ideological enemies in a multi-polar world.

Kennedy's refusal to launch an all-out military assault on Cuba - or to militarily engage with Communist foes in Berlin and Southeast Asia - provoked a sharp reaction from hard-line national security elements within his own government. "The Kennedy presidency became a government at war with itself," Talbot contends. He believes that these violent tensions within the Kennedy administration exploded in Dallas on November 22, 1963. And Talbot writes that Robert Kennedy - the country's top lawman and his brother's devoted protector - immediately looked at the CIA and its secret war on Fidel Castro as the source of the plot against JFK.