The Education Forum

Question for true crime buffs

Guest Stephen Turner

Guest Stephen Turner

What links Hawley Harvey Crippen, and Jack the ripper.

First correct answer wins a day trip to 10 Rillington place..........

I think Walter Dew was the first cop on the scene of Jack the Ripper's final murder -- Mary Jane Kelly. And he was the police Chief Inspector who searched Crippen's house, found nothing and believed Crippen's story. Crippen got paranoid and left England for Canada, ultimately, which caused there to be a search on his house again and his wife's torso was discovered beneath bricks of his basement. He was later hung for the crime.

Kathy

I think Walter Dew was the first cop on the scene of Jack the Ripper's final murder -- Mary Jane Kelly. And he was the police Chief Inspector who searched Crippen's house, found nothing and believed Crippen's story. Crippen got paranoid and left England for Canada, ultimately, which caused there to be a search on his house again and his wife's torso was discovered beneath bricks of his basement. He was later hung for the crime.

Kathy

What -- no more contenders? Can I go to 10 Rillington Place, where the guy killed women and hid them behind walls? That must have been a smelly place. I saw the movie but when the cops found the women -- they should have reacted to the stink. But they didn't. Unless I forgot it. Haven't seen the movie in decades. But I want my ticket. Don't get smart and change it to a one-way ticket to Transylvania.

Kathy

Guest Stephen Turner

Kathy

What -- no more contenders? Can I go to 10 Rillington Place, where the guy killed women and hid them behind walls? That must have been a smelly place. I saw the movie but when the cops found the women -- they should have reacted to the stink. But they didn't. Unless I forgot it. Haven't seen the movie in decades. But I want my ticket. Don't get smart and change it to a one-way ticket to Transylvania.

Kathy

LADIES, AND GENTLEMEN WE HAVE A WINNAH.

unfortunatly Kathy Rillington place was pulled down a couple of decades ago, But, if your ever in London I would be very happy to give you a guided tour of Jacks killing grounds, most of it gone now, but you can use your imagination. Steve.

What links Hawley

LADIES, AND GENTLEMEN WE HAVE A WINNAH.

unfortunatly Kathy Rillington place was pulled down a couple of decades ago, But, if your ever in London I would be very happy to give you a guided tour of Jacks killing grounds, most of it gone now, but you can use your imagination. Steve.

Will you show me some Beatle sites too? And since you're in England and I'm in America, can you tell me what the hell "Piccadilly Circus" is?

Kathy

Guest Stephen Turner
  • 2 weeks later...

Surprisingly, the excellent movie 'From Hell' DVD (fictional but beautifully filmed and very good acting) is selling at 5$AU bucks a pop in bins at various outlets. It's a two disc set with extra features showing the carefully reconstructed sets and a walk through with descriptions. This is supposed to be very exact in detail, and well worth this price.

Of course I don't know just how exact the reproduced sites are but have asked in an other topic on this forum for confirmation from 'those who know' and do so again now.

(Ditto, 'Imagine', 2 disk set, with Cavern footage)

Guest Stephen Turner
Surprisingly, the excellent movie 'From Hell' DVD (fictional but beautifully filmed and very good acting) is selling at 5$AU bucks a pop in bins at various outlets. It's a two disc set with extra features showing the carefully reconstructed sets and a walk through with descriptions. This is supposed to be very exact in detail, and well worth this price.

Of course I don't know just how exact the reproduced sites are but have asked in an other topic on this forum for confirmation from 'those who know' and do so again now.

(Ditto, 'Imagine', 2 disk set, with Cavern footage)

John, The actual murder sites on from Hell, are historically acurate, just a shame they wern't quite so pernickety about the plot, Abberline as a young, handsome, opium abusing psychic, who has a romp with Mary Kelly, but if you have a couple of hours with nothing to do it is a rollicking good pot boiler, and, as you say, very well acted.