The Education Forum

GO

http://www.japan-101.com/culture/go_ancien..._board_game.htm

To start, the link above provides the basic rules and history of this simple but incredibly difficult to master, ancient oriental board game.

It's simplicity is such that one can learn the basic rules, which are very few, in a matter of minutes. Implementing them on a board that allows for a huge variation of choices means that mastering is not in mastering the rules but first in seeing the possibilities, once the penny drops, 'the sky's the limit'.

Generally, there is a ranking from -35 for a novice, to 9-Dan for the master. Then there is the supreme master who rarely emerges.

The game allows for players at very different levels to play through the use of 'handicap'. For example if I was to play a novice the first move (black) would be the opponent having thirteen pre-placed points (black should then win). Then it's whites turn. If the opponent wins, one then reduces the handicap to a point where white wins and so on.

As an oriental game it also has certain traditions such as the 'saving of face'. Two dan level players end a game rather than win by more than five points. Honour plays a large part. Strategy and tactics involve keeping the advantage, or 'sente'. Or if one has the opposite, 'gote', then the aim is to regain 'sente'.

Shortly I'll post blacks first move (thirteen handicap) plus whites first move, anyone may then respond and I'll update the image. Time is not important.

an example of end game:

(image)

If there are players who wish to preempt, please start a game. Open other topics for chess etc or other games, incl. other go games.

Thank you, to Adam, for setting this up.

Edited by John Dolva

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your move: thirteen black handicap points

my move yellow at c-14

abc.... across top

123... down

your turn... name intersection and I'll update image

Edited by John Dolva

We don't have to finish a game, try it and you may find it appealing. You may find it's not your 'cup of tea', but if 'the penny drops'. it can become a very interesting experience.

Simply post a coordinate and I'll update the board image.

For those who want to start a chess game (not me) here's a board to start with. Copy and attach to a chess topic on this Online Game forum.

(image)

Edited by John Dolva

We don't have to finish a game, try it and you may find it appealing. You may find it's not your 'cup of tea', but if 'the penny drops'. it can become a very interesting experience.

Simply post a coordinate and I'll update the board image.

a tip: often the opponents best move is your best move, particularly towards the end of the beginning phase of the game and during the middle game. But not always: gaining an understanding of 'sente' and 'gote' can make forcing the opponent when the opponent need not feel forced an important tactic. This is probavly easiest in the beginning game. The opponent (you, whoever) here has a massive advantage. My chllenge to you (whoever) is that I will still win.

• 2 months later...

Quite correct, my mistake. D-14

Response : E-15

(image 0003)

Edited by John Dolva

Yellow G-16

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yellow: D - 13

• 1 month later...

Yellow B - 16

• 5 months later...

Hi John. Sorry for my apparent lack of concentration. This has not unfortunately been thinking time, but how-can-I-get-Vista-to-work-with-all-my-programmes time. Mmmm. However, I still feel surrounded: Black D-12.

Edited by Norman Pratt

• 5 months later...

Ditto,

Y: E 14