The Education Forum

The Guardian of the spooks: Keeping the Anglosphere’s liberal elite stupid

It is perhaps the most terrible indictment of the US media’s domination by the military-spook-industrial complex, and an enduring mystery to the locals – the frequency with which educated Americans turn to the BBC and the Guardian (website) for remotely accurate news. For the aforementioned aboriginals, both are blatantly spook-dominated, and as threatening to the status quo as a loaf of bread. As a service to misguided Americans, I hereby offer this succinct, recent example of how the spook-ridden Grauniad does the business for its infinitely wise masters.

Veteran spook Anthony Brooks died in late April this year. In its edition of Tuesday, 26 June, Dan van der Vat paid tribute to his career. Like all British spooks in Grauniad obits, Brooks was “brilliant at war-time espionage,” and set Europe ablaze - to the profound detriment of the German military, and without regard to the post-war interests of US and UK multinationals - with an elan and an insouciance that was as thrilling as it was efficacious. Vat’s obit was dominated by this ennobling story, leaving little time for anything other than a brisk canter through Brooks’ post-war career. That was confined to a penultimate paragraph that went thus:

“After the war he continued in his clandestine career, mainly with MI6. In 1952 he proved he had moral, as well as physical, courage when he declined a posting to Hanoi. Challenged by the head of the service to go or resign, he wrote out his resignation on the spot and went back to the family business in France. He returned to MI6, however, in time for the Suez crisis of 1956. In the years before his retirement, he was seconded to MI5 to help with cold war espionage.”

Funny, but among the great unwashed, Brooks is chiefly famous for being one of a group of senior MI5 officers, all in thrall to CIA’s James Angleton, named as active plotters against Labour PM Harold Wilson in two Commons motions tabled by MP Dale Campbell-Savours. In David Leigh’s piece on Savours actions, “MP names MI5 six in Wilson affair” (The Observer, 3 May 1987, p.1), Brooks was offered the ultimate accolade: “CIA sources recall him as an impressive officer.” On the same day, the Sunday Telegraph’s Donald Macintyre, aided by Roberts Porter and Payne, quoted an anonymous MI5 source who angrily dismissed the charges against the 5 clique: “You are not talking of Right-wing zealots, but of people who genuinely felt that they had uncovered a threat to the nation” (“MI5 leaps to defend Wilson plot agents,” 3 May 1987, p.1). This characterisation was not, alas, entirely shared by Brooks’ friends, one of whom was quoted, earlier in the same piece, to the effect that the same Brooks held impeccably “Right-wing views.”

Nor was plotting against Harold Wilson a brief side-bar to Brooks’ time in MI5. According to Smear! Wilson and the Secret State (London: Fourth Estate, 1991, p.295), he spent no less than four years investigating pro-Wilson businessman Joseph Kagan.

Guest David Guyatt

I was told by Fred Holroyd that British Army Intelligence officers were openly recruited by the CIA. No thought appeared to be given about working for a foreign power. I suppose that with a number of chairs inside the MoD that are designated for American bums, and the still very secret UKUSA agreement of 1947, it is not viewed as a foreign power anymore...

David

I was told by Fred Holroyd that British Army Intelligence officers were openly recruited by the CIA. No thought appeared to be given about working for a foreign power. I suppose that with a number of chairs inside the MoD that are designated for American bums, and the still very secret UKUSA agreement of 1947, it is not viewed as a foreign power anymore...

David

David Bruce, ex-OSS in London, later US Ambassador to the Court of King James, mentions in his dairies just how easy it was to buy up Brits: Angleton appears to have acquired whole swathes of MI5 and MI6.

Makes you wonder why the British taxpayer is obliged to stump up all that cash for organisations that have no meaningfully independent policies or existence. We could save a very considerable sum by simply closing them, leaving the CIA et al to get on with it. They do what they want here anyway.

Is there an organisation we could form or join? "Irate rate-payers against Quislings," perhaps?

Makes you wonder why the British taxpayer is obliged to stump up all that cash for organisations that have no meaningfully independent policies or existence. We could save a very considerable sum by simply closing them, leaving the CIA et al to get on with it. They do what they want here anyway.

Spot on. And ditto for Australia.

Australians will know - but others may not be familiar with - a classic from the 1960s, in which then Australian Prime Minister Menzies handed over Pine Gap to the US occupier for a peppercorn, in a ceremonial act of obeisance. It is excruciating to watch. I'm sure someone has put it on Youtube.

My belief remains, however, that Israeli/organized Jewish interests are top of the food chain in the aggregation of western spookdom that has taken place since World War Two. The most crucial decisions taken by this beast are made outside the Pentagon - or Langley. The US military-industrial-spook complex is like a very large pair of biceps, complete with bone, sinews and claws. The brain is elsewhere.

Edited by Sid Walker

My belief remains, however, that Israeli/organized Jewish interests are top of the food chain in the aggregation of western spookdom that has taken place since World War Two. The most crucial decisions taken by this beast are made outside the Pentagon - or Langley. The US military-industrial-spook complex is like a very large pair of biceps, complete with bone, sinews and claws. The brain is elsewhere.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this, Sid, as there's not much either of us could offer to change minds. But I take your point regarding the thuggy Pentagon and Langley - the exterminatory tactics might be theirs, but the strategy?

We'll have to agree to disagree on this, Sid, as there's not much either of us could offer to change minds. But I take your point regarding the thuggy Pentagon and Langley - the exterminatory tactics might be theirs, but the strategy?

Agreeing to differ is fine, Paul. I imagine we're both open to further evidence either way.

All I'll add for now is that if the "Anglophile elite" within western spookdom hasn't been taken over by Zionists, they do a bloody good job of faking it.

Edited by Sid Walker

Agreeing to differ is fine, Paul. I imagine we're both open to further evidence either way.

All I'll add for now is that if the "Anglophile elite" within the western spookdom hasn't been taken over by Zionists, they do a bloody good job of faking it.

History, Sid, will settle this one definitively. For what it's worth, I believe the Anglo-American crackerjacks will shed Zionism with all the emotional concern of a snake disgarding an old skin when the time comes; and the Israeli elite knows this better than anyone. But we'll see. One must always permit the possibility of error.

Paul

All I'll add for now is that if the "Anglophile elite" within the western spookdom hasn't been taken over by Zionists, they do a bloody good job of faking it.

History, Sid, will settle this one definitively. For what it's worth, I believe the Anglo-American crackerjacks will shed Zionism with all the emotional concern of a snake disgarding an old skin when the time comes; and the Israeli elite knows this better than anyone. But we'll see. One must always permit the possibility of error.

Paul

Perhaps.

But these 'crackerjacks', if they really function as a team at all, may discover they actually reside inside the belly of another, even larger python.

I think they already have.

Edited by Sid Walker