The Education Forum

Steven Colbert interviews Vince Bugliosi

What a waste. Colbert scored no points.

In 1975 Trevor Griffiths wrote a great play called the "Comedians". Griffiths, a Marxist, argued that comedy could be used to change political consciousness. However, in most cases it is used to preserve the status quo. It is a great play and raises all the main issues about the role of comedy in capitalist society. Griffiths' reputation at the time was such that Warren Beatty asked him to write a screenplay for his long cherished project about the US revolutionary John Reed, which eventually became the Oscar-winning film Reds. Griffiths is a great artists who unfortunately has been ignored over the last 20 years.

I could not be in stronger agreement with the notion that comedy is a most powerful tool for the shaping of political consciousness.

Once "they" and their formerly respected pronouncements are being ridiculed, the game is over.

Did anyone see the clip of Karl Rove recently becoming the target of his audience's derisive laughter as he attempted to explain why Rumsfeld et al cancelled, at the last minute, an operation to take out al Queda leaders in Pakistan? "We have to respect a sovereign state's borders," he said solemnly. (I'm paraphrasing.) At which point the chortling began.

Rove immediately tried to recover. "Unless we're talking about Iraq," he added, smiling.

Too late.

Then there was the JFK Lancer conference at which I moderated a panel comprised of three speakers, including Doug Horne.

Doug had brought props: human skulls on which conflicting JFK wound descriptions had been inked.

After his presentation, I placed the skulls on a table in front of the podium -- ear to ear and facing the audience.

As I brought the program to an end, I gestured to the empty cranial vaults and thanked Messrs. Posner, Specter, and Rahn for their kind attention.

Bugliosi's barely controlled behaviors and ludicrous positions are ripe for similar ridicule.

Charles

The most effective purveyor of this is DAVID LETTERMAN, who nightly

skewers Bush with GREAT MOMENTS IN PRESIDENTIAL SPEECHES, using

inept video clips of Bush speaking in contrast with JFK saying "Ask not

what your country can do for you...."

The stark contrast is hilarious. Letterman never says a word. Bush's

ineptitude is funnier than any comment.

Jack

Charles Drago'wrote:

[...]Doug had brought props: human skulls on which conflicting JFK wound descriptions had been inked.

After his presentation, I placed the skulls on a table in front of the podium -- ear to ear and facing the audience.

As I brought the program to an end, I gestured to the empty cranial vaults and thanked Messrs. Posner, Specter, and Rahn for their kind attention.

[...]

Charles

LMAO!