The Education Forum

In the Shadow of the Moon

NEW YORK, June 29 /PRNewswire/ -- Academy Award-winning filmmaker Ron Howard, whose "Apollo 13" remains one of the most popular and highly-regarded dramatizations of man's exploration of space, is partnering with THINKFilm to present the award-winning film, IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON, the definitive feature documentary about the Apollo space program and the first-ever landing on the moon. Howard's name, and the "Ron Howard Presents" credit will appear on all prints and in all paid advertising for the film, and Howard will participate in promotion of both the theatrical release and the DVD. THINKFilm will open IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON in exclusive engagements in New York and Los Angeles on September 7, 2007, with an aggressive national expansion planned throughout the month.

A rousing celebration of human endeavor, IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON begins in the early 1960's, with President Kennedy's stated ambition to put an American on the moon before the end of the decade, and culminates in Apollo 11's successful lunar landing and the extraordinary global impact that event had. Ten of the surviving astronauts who journeyed to the moon tell their stories in their own words, accompanied by spectacular NASA footage, much of it never seen before in a feature film, and all of it re-mastered for maximum visual and aural effect.

About the film, Howard says, "IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON is a spectacular film that should be seen by the widest audience possible. It is especially timely now, when we are all reminded how fragile our Earth is and how much there is for us to explore in the universe. I am thrilled to be able to support it in this way and to remind Americans in these dark times about what a truly incredible accomplishment going to the moon was."

David Sington, who directed IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON adds, "As a director, I am incredibly flattered that such a distinguished filmmaker as Ron Howard is willing to lend his name to our film in this way."

Howard saw the film shortly before its acclaimed world premiere at Sundance 2007, where it won the Audience Award for Documentary (World Cinema) and soon thereafter began discussions about how he could help the film reach the widest possible audience. Since Sundance, the film has gone on to win another half-dozen audience or jury awards at North American film festivals and will qualify for the Academy Awards as part of the International Documentary Association's DocuWeek Showcase in August. THINKFilm has had four Oscar nominations for Best Documentary feature in the past five years for SPELLBOUND, THE STORY OF THE WEEPING CAMEL, MURDERBALL and BORN INTO BROTHELS, and won the statuette in 2005 for the latter.

IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON, a THINKFilm release in association with Discovery Films, features interviews with astronauts Jim Lovell (Apollo 8 and 13), Dave Scott (Apollo 9 and 15), John Young (Apollo 10 and 16), Gene Cernan (Apollo 10 and 17), Mike Collins (Apollo 11), Buzz Aldrin (Apollo 11), Alan Bean (Apollo 12), Edgar Mitchell (Apollo 14), Charlie Duke (Apollo 16) and Harrison Schmitt (Apollo 17). The film is directed by David Sington, produced by Duncan Copp, co-produced by Chris Riley, executive produced by Simon Andreae, John Battsek and Julie Goldman, with original music by Philip Sheppard, cinematography by Clive North, and editing by David Fairhead. Following its theatrical engagement, IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON will have its television premiere on Discovery Channel and Discovery HD Theater.

http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainment/20...29062007-1.html

http://www.usatoday.com/life/2007-06-28-co...tractions_N.htm

http://www.thinkfilmcompany.com/

Thanks for that Michael - it is meant to be a tremendous film. It has all of us "Apollogists" aflutter.

I don't think it has an Australian release date as yet.

I bet the Apollo apollogists are all aflutter ... just like that A15 flag on the moonset !! LOL

Thanks for the movie update Mike ... Ron Howard did a fine job directing the science fiction movie Apollo 13 .... Apparently both he and Tom Hanks got all pumped up after making that movie together , and are now ardent supporters of the Apollo Program ...These guys make their living in the fantasy world of movie making , so to support nasa's fantasy moon trips comes as no great surprise .

Good timing for this movie too ... Americans are getting pretty upset by the current corruption in the US government and need to be reminded of a happier and more innocent time , when everyone still believed that the government didn't lie to them .. and that something as far fetched as landing men on the moon was really possible .

Edited by Duane Daman

Actually, they are ardent supporters of the space programme. Both Howard and Hanks had a fascination with the US manned space programme, and are now in a position to pay tribute to it.

I'm hoping they will do a series covering Mercury / Gemini like they did for Apollo with "From the Earth to the Moon".

Well , I am an ardent admirer of the real space programs of Mercury and Gemini ... I just don't believe that Apollo falls into the same catagory as the other two programs .

I think a series covering Mercury and Gemini would be fantastic ... One of my favorite movies is 'The Right Stuff ' and it would be great to see a new movie about the history of those missions .

If you get the time, have a look at the first episode of From the Earth To the Moon; it is about Alan Shepard's Mercury flight. Tremendous stuff.

I have to keep on correcting a number of people about this;

Alan Shepard was the first American in space.

John Glenn was the first American in orbit.

Both earned their place in American history.

Nasa bosses accused of sending drunken astronauts into space

Jacqui Goddard in Miami

July 27, 2007

Nasa will today unveil a shocking report claiming that two of its astronauts blasted into space while drunk, and that managers turned a blind eye.

Doctors and crewmates claim that the astronauts, who are not thought to be named in the report, were allowed to board the space shuttle despite warnings that they posed a danger to themselves and others.

The magazine Aviation Week claimed last night that the report — drawn up by an internal Nasa panel and set for publication today — reveals “heavy use” of alcohol by astronauts on at least two separate occasions just before missions, in breach of a Nasa ban on drinking within the 12-hour countdown to launch. It does not mention which astronauts, or which missions, were involved, but suggests that managers were made aware and chose not to act.

The news will heap further scorn on the US space agency, which faced embarrassment in February after Lisa Nowak, 44, an astronaut, was arrested for assaulting a love rival whom she regarded as a threat to her romance with Bill Oefelein, a fellow astronaut and space shuttle pilot. She is awaiting trial in Florida on charges of assault and attempted kidnap and has been dismissed by Nasa.

After the Nowak incident, Dr Mike Griffin, the head of Nasa, ordered a review of the agency’s system of assessing the mental health of astronauts. That review led to today’s report.

Nasa has faced accusations of negligence over safety issues before. In 2003 an independent investigation board that examined the Columbia shuttle disaster — in which seven astronauts were killed — condemned managers for having ignored safety risks in order to keep the shuttle programme on schedule.

Nasa also announced last night that a computerised recording device that will monitor physical stresses on an external arm of the International Space Station had been sabotaged by an employee. The device was due to be carried to the space station on board the shuttle Endeavour next month. Its wires has been deliberately cut at Kennedy Space Centre, in Florida.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle2148345.ece

I'm waiting to see the full results of that, and I will be pretty disgusted with NASA management if this has been allowed to happen during the Shuttle programme.

We actually operate with a 'Zero Blood Alcohol' level and 'no aftereffects of drinking', so not only must you be zero BAC but also not suffering a hangover.

I would have thought that was pretty standard throughout aerospace these days.

Well , so much for nasa's upstanding , pristine reputation , right Mike ? ... LOL

Wow the NASA folks are human and can screw up, do crazy things or even derelict their duty just like the rest of us what a shock! How ever if true the managers and astronaughts involved grossly breeched the trust put in them. Note that NASA itself investigated this.

Edited by Len Colby

Nasa bosses accused of sending drunken astronauts into space

Jacqui Goddard in Miami

July 27, 2007

Nasa will today unveil a shocking report claiming that two of its astronauts blasted into space while drunk, and that managers turned a blind eye.

Doctors and crewmates claim that the astronauts, who are not thought to be named in the report, were allowed to board the space shuttle despite warnings that they posed a danger to themselves and others.

Quite shocking. If this is true then IMO the managers are at least as, if not more, culpable than the astronauts. Hopefully this will be properly investigated and any guilty parties properly punished, and checks and procedures put in place to make sure it can't happen again.

Another news article claimed that the incidents were actually a US passenger aboard a Soyuz, and another (same?) passenger in the back of a T-38.

We'll have to wait to see what really did happen.

The drunk astronauts story is on the news everyday in the US now ... Apparenty this has been a on going problem among nasa' s party fly boys ... Also the story about the employee that sabatoged the shuttle computer ... This is not looking good for nasa at all .

If I had signed on to be launched onboard the shuttle , I think I would like to be xxxx faced to the point of passing out ... Especillay after what happened to the Challenger and the Columbia .