The Education Forum

ANSA Videos on the Carcano

I have now begun to translate the rest of Claudio's ANSA videos on the Carcano. The one I did a few weeks ago was no. 4 I think but I didn't realise at the time there were 4 others that can be watched in sequence. So I've started with number 1 and will then post the others in chronological order.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transcript of ANSA video No 1. on the Mannlicher Carcano (translated into English):

http://www.ansa.it/norep/video_new.jsp?t=&...1241.rm&dt=

Clip of film showing the motorcade approaching Dealey Plaza, followed by the Zapruder film and film of the aftermath in Dealey Plaza and at Parkland Hospital.

Claudio Accogli: "President Kennedy was declared dead at 1 pm local time. In reality, he was killed at approximately 12.28 pm but he would receive the last rites as he was Catholic, the first (president) in the history of the United States."

Cut to film of aftermath in Dealey Plaza

Claudio Accogli: "In the meantime, there was chaos in Dealey Plaza. Those who would become eyewitnesses started to move towards the position of where the shots had come from. The investigation centred on the Book Depository, towards the little hill and to the right of the Presidential motorcade, the grassy knoll."

"In the depository, a rifle was found. It was a Carcano, an Italian gun. In less than an hour, Lee Harvey Oswald, an ex marine of 24, was arrested on the charge of killing a policeman.

Jack Ruby, owner of a club, suspected to be connected to the mafia killed him live on television."

Cut to film of Oswald being shot in the basement of Dallas Police headquarters.

Claudio Accogli: The last commission of inquiry in America that investigated the case, gave weight to the witness testimony that indicated that there was a connection between the two." (presumably he means between Oswald and Ruby).

"The Warren Commission, which was overseen by Johnson, who took over the job (of President), concluded that Lee Harvey Oswald was the only one responsible for the murder/homicide."

"The gun was identified. It was a Carcano, serial number: C2766, and it arrived in the United States on the 17th of October, 1960, aboard an Italian ship, the Elettra Fassio that belonged to a historic Genovese company.

The Italian Ministry of Defence opened bidding for/ tendered contracts for the purchase of 570,000 rifles, some which were utilised, some which were not.

This was concluded in 1959, with the winning of the contract/bid by an American firm, 'Adams Consolidated' of New York.

Some of the guns sold, about 100,000, were repaired by a workman from Brescia, Carlo Riva. Soon after, they started shipping the guns (to America), but in the United States they were not happy with the work and they stopped the payments. Carlo Riva sued them and would win in 1968 when the firm went bankrupt but he ended up also going bankrupt himself, because only part of the guns were traced." (presumably he means by this that some of the guns went missing?)

"The Carcano would be purchased by Oswald in March of 1963, a few months before the crime. That gun was manufactured here, at Terni."

Cut to shot of Zapruder film, Frame 268, followed by views of the factory at Terni.

Claudio Accogli: "The factory was founded in 1875. The director Col. Giancane tells us now the story which is over a hundred years old."

(To be continued in Video 2)

Edited by Francesca Akhtar

Claudio Accogli has just made contact with me. I have suggested he joins the forum.

Great idea John! I have just edited the above post as I made some errors. Of course the time JFK was declared dead was 1pm and I just changed the number of rifles which should be 100,000 not 20,00.

Claudio Accogli has just made contact with me. I have suggested he joins the forum.

Great idea John! I have just edited the above post as I made some errors. Of course the time JFK was declared dead was 1pm and I just changed the number of rifles which should be 100,000 not 20,00.

He is now a member:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=10603