The Education Forum

Information re Judy Bonner ?

Hi, all:

Does anyone have any current information regarding Judy Bonner, author of the book, "Investigation of A Homicide" (Anderson, SC; Droke House, 1969).

Is Ms. Bonner still alive, and if so, does anyone know how / if she is contactable?

I believe that, sometime after she wrote her book, she worked in London for one of the major UK daily newspapers, but I don't know anything beyond that.

Any information would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris.

Hi, all:

Does anyone have any current information regarding Judy Bonner, author of the book, "Investigation of A Homicide" (Anderson, SC; Droke House, 1969).

Is Ms. Bonner still alive, and if so, does anyone know how / if she is contactable?

I believe that, sometime after she wrote her book, she worked in London for one of the major UK daily newspapers, but I don't know anything beyond that.

Many thanks,

Chris.

INVESTIGATION OF A HOMICIDE is one of the rarest and costly

JFK books. It is essentially the story of Sgt. Gerry Hill's activities

on 11-22. Apparently Bonner was very close to Hill, and the

book contains many exclusive photos furnished by Hill. I paid

about $50 for my copy about 30 years ago, so I imagine IF

A COPY IS AVAILABLE, it would cost several hundred dollars.

Hill was everywhere on 11-22, and was long one of my DPD

suspects. Especially interesting as I recall is Hill's description

of the wallet taken from Hidell in the squad car after his capture.

After the book was released, Bonner sort of vanished from

this area. I seem to remember Mary Ferrell keeping in touch

with her, somewhere on the east coast.

Jack

PS... I just looked in my copy, and the price penciled inside

the cover is $55. My wife remembers us getting it in the

early 80s; I thought it was late 70s.

Edited by Jack White

Hi, all:

Many thanks,

Chris.

INVESTIGATION OF A HOMICIDE is one of the rarest and costly

JFK books. It is essentially the story of Sgt. Gerry Hill's activities

on 11-22. Apparently Bonner was very close to Hill, and the

book contains many exclusive photos furnished by Hill. I paid

about $50 for my copy about 30 years ago, so I imagine IF

A COPY IS AVAILABLE, it would cost several hundred dollars.

Hill was everywhere on 11-22, and was long one of my DPD

suspects. Especially interesting as I recall is Hill's description

of the wallet taken from Hidell in the squad car after his capture.

After the book was released, Bonner sort of vanished from

this area. I seem to remember Mary Ferrell keeping in touch

with her, somewhere on the east coast.

Jack

A quick search for this book shows Jack is right. The least expensive copy I could find availabe is going for $333. I was extremely fortunate about a year ago to snag a very good copy off e-bay for $35.

Chris,

I don't have much but after the publication of her book, she became the vice president and treasurer of Genesis Press Inc. in Dallas.

In 1972, she was one of the organizers behind the Whitehall Private School which I believe serviced the Oak Cliff area.

She was a member of the Dallas Press Club and she specialized in state legislative campaigns.

In 1976 she was the public relations consultant for Dallas mayor candidate Garry Weber. She may have passed away in 1984 but I am not certain there.

Below is a clipping regarding her book.

Cheers,

James

Edited by James Richards

Chris,

I don't have much but after the publication of her book, she became the vice president and treasurer of Genesis Press Inc. in Dallas.

In 1972, she was one of the organizers behind the Whitehall Private School which I believe serviced the Oak Cliff area.

She was a member of the Dallas Press Club and she specialized in state legislative campaigns.

In 1976 she was the public relations consultant for Dallas mayor candidate Garry Weber. She may have passed away in 1984 but I am not certain there.

Below is a clipping regarding her book.

Cheers,

James

• 1 year later...
Did anybody discover what became of Judy Bonner?

BK

It would be on the Mary Ferrell website. Mary had a file on her.

Jack

Thanks Jack, - (& Rex)

A Record from Mary Ferrell's Database

Record:BONNER, JUDY (1984: MRS. NORMAN AMPS) (NEE WHITSON)Sources:WC 23 (547); Best Evidence, Lifton (365)Mary's

Comments:Judy Bonner was a police reporter who first covered Parkland Hospital. She married a doctor at Parkland. Author of a book, "Investigation of a Homicide". It was rumored that Sgt. Gerry Hill "wrote" the book. By 1962, Judy was divorced and had a public relations firm. Oswald's first day on job at Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall, he worked for Judy Bonner. Judy married Rev. Norman Amps, an Episcopal priest. They attended St. Seraphim Russian Orthodox Church (?). Judy died 12/5/84.

Guest Tom Scully

SS Death Search result:

Name: Judith Amps

Birth: 20 Aug 1931

Death: Dec 1984

Civil: Texas

There are British Incoming Port Passenger records dated in May, 1957, and in Oct., 1959, with

listings for a Judy Bonner, D.O.B. "20 Aug 1931". Occupation is listed as "Reporter" in one record, and "Journalist" in the other listing.

She was a campaign co-ordinator of the Democratic party in Dallas, but she directed the successful, second

Dallas mayoral campaign of Republican Starke Taylor, and at the time of her death:

http://news.google.com/archivesearch?q=jud...=1&ie=UTF-8

The Dallas Morning News

- Dallas Morning News - NewsBank - Jan 6, 1985

"... will become Dallas Mayor Starke Taylor's assistant Monday, ... been handled by Judy Bonner Amps, the mayor's personal consultant who died in December. ..."

Judy's daughter Emily is alive:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...IRC0w2bkhF-NWgw

1.) "Woman picks up where Democratic mom left off

24-year-old not deterred by Republican majority

Author: Kevin J. Shay Staff Writer of the Arlington Morning News

Publish Date: December 27, 1999

Word Count: 1285

Document ID: 0ED3DBF6B0872ACA

Arlington Democrats know what it's like to be in the minority. In the last primary election during a presidential campaign in 1996, more than 80 percent of participating Arlington voters cast votes in the Republican primary.

Still, such numbers don't discourage Emily Amps, the young, energetic president of the Arlington Area Democratic Alliance.

"There are a lot of Democrats in Arlington, more than people think," said Ms. Amps, 24, who...."

....and I presume that Judy and her husband, Rev. Norman Jack Alps, who died in 2008, also had this son, Jeremy:

http://odessa.tx.stumblehere.com/ads/82092

"posted 04/21/2008 at 2:25 pm in dallas, tx

AMPS, NORMAN JACK 1929 - 2008 Norman Amps closed his eyes for the last time on Sunday, April 20th. Born to Sarah and John Amps in March, England, Norman served in the Royal Air Force before joining the Catholic priesthood at age 31. He served the Church tirelessly throughout Europe before choosing to marry Dallas native Judy Bonner. Shortly afterward, he joined the Episcopal Church and was ordained as a priest. Norman served at numerous churches in the Diocese of Dallas, including St. Albans, St. Lukes, and Trinity Episcopal. He served also in the Diocese of Arkansas, celebrating at St. Barnabas Church in Foreman and at Trinity Cathedral in Little Rock. Norman was a chaplain and schoolteacher at St. Marks School of Texas and a chaplain at Southern Methodist University. Norman placed his faith in God, and gave his life to spreading the Good News. Although Judy preceded him into the afterlife, he was fortunate to wed Margaret Crank in 2000. The two seldom left each others sides for the remainder of his life. Norman is also survived by his children, Jeremy and Emily; his daughter-in-law, Shannon; and grandchildren........ "

Edited by Tom Scully