The Education Forum

How Will Historians Judge George W. Bush Era?

Guest Stephen Turner
Peter wrote:

"The laws are all in place for martial law, repeal of elections and more/worse...it takes only a signiture [sic] from 'W' and if COG was never recinded [sic] after 9-1-1 it may be a fait accompli we havn't[sic] yet been told about."

Peter, please cite a law that authorizes the "repeal of elections". I'd sure like to hear about THAT one!

And, Peter, I do sleep well BECAUSE the GB Administration is diligent in its anti-terrorism efforts.

Tim, just a question, as I seriously don't know the answer. Wouldn't the declaration of Marshall law at the very least delay, possibly indefinately, any Presidential election?

Stephen, I do not know the answer but I will try to research it tonight.

Obviously martial law would not shut down the entire country but it would involve things such as curfews and restraints on assembly.

But I do not see why an election could not be held even if martial law was in effect.

But I will check that.

Precedent of course is the 1864 United States election in the midst of a civil war.

This will no doubt cause fear and trembling among the US Forum members.

From the Wikipedia page on "martial law":

Public Law 109-364, or the "John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007" (H.R.5122), was signed by President Bush on October 17, 2006, and allows the President to declare a "public emergency" and station troops anywhere in America and take control of state-based National Guard units without the consent of the governor or local authorities. Title V, Subtitle B, Part II, Section 525(a) of the JWDAA of 2007 reads "The [military] Secretary [of the Army, Navy or Air Force] concerned may order a member of a reserve component under the Secretary's jurisdiction to active duty...The training or duty ordered to be performed...may include...support of operations or missions undertaken by the member's unit at the request of the President or Secretary of Defense." [3]

Yes indeed George Bush now has the right to station troops on your very own street corner!