The Education Forum

From London, with Paranoia

The incidents I'm about to describe took place during a late 1990s winter visit to London in the company of my two dearest friends, a physician and an attorney who are brothers.

Day Two -- Happenstance: During an otherwise splendid walking tour of the Inns of Court, a member of the group approached and stood just a few feet in front of me, where I was certain to notice him. He was a short fellow in a black-and-red patterned parka. He had short-cropped, dark, greasy hair and wore a backpack. As we moved on, this character abruptly left us.

Day Three -- Coincidence: The physician and I were at the Tower of London (not the record shop in Piccadilly; the other one) waiting for the first morning tour to begin when, lo and behold, the same little fellow walks over to us, stops just a few feet away, and after less than five minutes of making himself obvious, saunters off. At that point I informed my companion that this was the second time in two days that the creep had appeared -- identically clad and encumbered, by the way. Later that evening, over dinner at the marvelous Cibo, I informed the attorney of the coincidence.

Day Four -- Enemy Action(?): At approximately 5 PM the three amigos, in the company of literally hundreds of Londoners, enter a tube station near Trafalgar for the ride back to our Earl's Court flat. So there we are, jammed into one of what had to be a 10-car train. We're standing near the door. And guess who steps through at the last second and makes a point of standing close to me?

I catch the eye of the physician and nod my head gently in the direction of Parka Man. And I watch my friend's eyes widen in amazement. Then his brother takes a look. Same parka. Same backpack.

Parka Man disembarked at the next stop.

So ... What are the odds?

Enemy action?

Charles

Edited by Charles Drago

I catch the eye of the physician and nod my head gently in the direction of Parka Man. And I watch my friend's eyes widen in amazement. Then his brother takes a look. Same parka. Same backpack.

Enemy action?

Charles

So what silenced you and your lawyer friend? Did the cat get your tongues?

Are you aware that people in England can speak English?

Of course they do talk a bit funny.

Why didn't you approach this guy and ask him if he was following you? Were you afraid of him?

Considering there were three of you and only one of him, you make yourself sound foolish here.

Also, can you tell us what makes you so special that some guy from London would want to follow you around?

I was in central London a few weeks ago. Central London, as opposed to Greater London, is actually quite a small space. I bumped into several people several times (all very nice people, I might add) in that one day

I think you are suffering from delusions of grandeur.

Oh Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner

That I love London town

Enemy action?

Charles

So what silenced you and your lawyer friend? Did the cat get your tongues?

Why didn't you approach this guy and ask him if he was following you? Were you afraid of him?

Considering there were three of you and only one of him, you make yourself sound foolish here.

Also, can you tell us what makes you so special that some guy from London would want to follow you around?

I was in central London a few weeks ago. Central London, as opposed to Greater London, is actually quite a small space. I bumped into several people several times (all very nice people, I might add) in that one day

I think you are suffering from delusions of grandeur.

No, he is not suffering from delusions of grandeur. How do I know? Just being a woman, I know. I had some strange incidents with men following me when I was younger. The solution? Gaining weight seems to stop this from happening.

But, yes, I think this character was following Charles. Why? Did he know Charles was a JFK researcher? Was he gay and saw Charles and followed him? You'd be surprised how many weirdos (no offense meant to gays) are out there. I believe Charles' story. And you have to learn to trust your instincts. Also, there are people who will pick out a person and just follow them for fun. Some of them want you to know you're being followed. So they make their appearances and disappearances like phantoms.

Kathy

Along the same lines of (paranoia?) weirdness:

Before I ever knew there were other JFK "researchers" I had read

books by Lane, Meagher, and Thompson...and wrote a letter to the editor

of the FWST urging people not to accept the WC story, but to study the

evidence for themselves. Like most letters to the editor, it did NOT

give my address....just Jack White, Fort Worth.

Two days later I received a postal card denouncing my opinion in

vituperative language, calling me an unpatriotic jerk, etc.

The weird part: the unsigned postal card was from Corpus Christi TX,

more than 200 miles away, and it was ADDRESSED TO ME AT THE

COMPANY WHERE I WORKED, COMPLETE WITH MY TITLE, AND TO

THE COMPANY POST OFFICE BOX.

None of this information was in the published letter. Only someone

with access to postal records could have known the P.O. Box. There

is no way someone in Corpus Christi could have known the name

of my company and my job title, nor the mailing address.

A chilling experience!

From that time till now, I know I am under surveillance. I could

give other instances, such as the time I left Mary Ferrell's house

about 1 a.m. and there were two men in suits in a black car parked

across the street; my car was parked a short distance away from

Mary's house, and as I loaded my slide projector and screen in my

car, the two guys pulled away from the curb, and drove by me at

about 5mph, giving me the once over; they seemed to want to

make sure that I saw them. The next day I phoned Mary and related

the story. She chuckled and said...OH, THAT'S JUST THE FBI, THEY

KEEP TRACK OF EVERYONE WHO COMES AND GOES AT MY HOUSE.

As Penn Jones used to tell me...YOU ARE NOT PARANOID IF THE BASTARDS

REALLY ARE AFTER YOU.

Jack

A few years ago, I was in Dallas and went out to dinner at Campisi's with a male friend. Others also planned to be there and we had intended joining them, but we got there early. By the time the group got there, we were in the middle of a most intereting JFK related conversation. None of the group noticed us, as they all went into another room. So, we just continued to stay where we were and continued talking. After we had dinner, he mentioned that he had something he wanted to show me, so he went out to his car to get it. When he got out there, he found his car door wide open. But what he went out to get was in his trunk. We both had remembered locking our car door...since it was a manual type lock. He was rather freaked out about that. Also in his trunk he had his VCR and a Video he had made of an Interview and none of the other researchers had seen it yet....just his closet JFK friends. He was going to let me view it when we got back to the hotel. Fortunately, it was not bothered. He told me about another time, he had left his Attache Case in his car and locked the door and went into some place. When he came back out to the car, his door was unlocked and his attache case was sitting on the seat, open and several papers were laying around it. But he said that he never did miss anything. I was rather freaked out for him to take out the VCR and Video when we got back to the hotel or when he left too. But he later said nothing had happened. Of course he did have copies of the Video anyway. Oh, actually as we pulled up at the hotel, we barely could see two or three guys sorta hidden in a dark area and when we stopped the car, they ran. But evidently that was to do with something else....probably they were doing drugs back there. But we were momentarily paranoid....:-)

Dixie